• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

My Perfume tickets arrived yesterday :D

The UK venue has changed to Shepherd's Bush Empire, which is a bigger place than Islington Academy, presumably it's selling well!

Kurita

Tickets for the Paris' concert seem to sell well, too. Can't wait to see them!
And Asian Kung-Fu Generation will be performing at the same venue just one month before, so hyped!

Infinite

Can anyone recommend me music similar to Midori? Especially their heavier and wilder tracks like メカ. I'm not familiar with a lot of Japanese rock... just Boris, Mass of the Fermenting Drugs and a few other big ones.

I don't think there's gonna be another band that has the energy and charm of midori but there's some that come close imo

You can certainly check out Skirt no Naka I think you would dig them if you like midori. Here's a bit of their stuff: http://youtu.be/vnxTcpK_dbU

Other bands that are similar
The Koumesoudo - http://youtu.be/krDCSdmD_RI
Kuru Kuru Garden - http://youtu.be/WCsMqJ-hLto
Hyacca - http://youtu.be/5qCzJ4qNNFQ
ZZZ's - http://youtu.be/BF2DBzK6uo8

Yeah they all have female leads too haha.

I love Soutaisei Riron, but haven't checked out her solo stuff. Is it good?

It's pretty solid. I posted a song of hers on the last page. Check it out yo

faridmon

She also sing for Soutaisei Riron if you heard of them. Kensuke Nishiura (support drummer for Mass of the Fermenting Dregs and Luminous Orange for a while) also plays for them.

Ah, I think I know her. I haven't listened to her solo stuff. I'll check it out!

Not even sure what was SEKAI NO OWARI's stuff for that Youtube Music Week, but watching the -777- TRIPLE SEVEN tour footage for my guilty pleasure, AAA.

Dead

well not really...yet
How come no one told me Boris is great.
I don't think Ive seen Boris mentioned in this thread much at all, but yeah, they're incredible. Their diversity is pretty jaw dropping. I'm not a fan of everything they've done, but the stuff of theirs that I like, I REALLY like.

I don't think Ive seen Boris mentioned in this thread much at all, but yeah, they're incredible. Their diversity is pretty jaw dropping. I'm not a fan of everything they've done, but the stuff of theirs that I like, I REALLY like.

My friend turned me onto them. Really great stuff. I might check them out when they are in LA next month.

faridmon

Listening to The Mirraz latest Album, and its good. It doesn't reach the same height as Top of the Fuck'n World and We are The Fuck'n world, since they become major which might repress their creativity and somehow subdue their rebelliousness (They still have a track called Fuck you very mush which is dope) but I its miles better than their previous effort which was bland.

Also, Listening to Scott & Rivers Album which is great. I don't know if anyone know this, but Rivers Coumo of The Weezer and Scott Murphy of the post hardcore band Allistar have teamed up for a bizarre project. I didn't know they were Japnophiles and spoke the language so fluently but they actually managed to ship an album that is sung entirely in Japanese and its bloody good.

Infinite

L
Also, Listening to Scott & Rivers Album which is great. I don't know if anyone know this, but Rivers Coumo of The Weezer and Scott Murphy of the post hardcore band Allistar have teamed up for a bizarre project. I didn't know they were Japnophiles and spoke the language so fluently but they actually managed to ship an album that is sung entirely in Japanese and its bloody good.

That sounds awesome. I know like Weezer covered an AKB48 song at a live show once but I didn't know they were legit japanophiles

Infinite

You didn't like it?

My Japanese is non-existent, granted, but I though it was well sung with simple yet catchy lyrical composition and music. Their Album is fantastic as well!

It was pretty strange but I'll give the rest of their material a try

I've been digging the Siamese Cats (シャムキャッツ) band lately. I think a lot of you guys would like them as well. I've been trying to purchase their music but they don't make it easy for foreigners to acquire. itunes guys, use it.

One of their songs: http://youtu.be/cIlCy0Hlmjo

faridmon

I've been digging the Siamese Cats (シャムキャッツ) band lately. I think a lot of you guys would like them as well.

Yeah, I have listened to their older stuff briefly and now they are getting way popular, which means that their CD might be easier to get hold off. They are headlining an even which include great acts such as Ogre You Asshole, Shugo Takamura, Cero and Oono Yukki and is sold out a month before the event.

They are getting there!

faridmon

Oh, Man. Listening to the old Girugamesh and the thought of them being awful boy-band brings tears to my eyes. The First two Albums were so fucking good!

The only way I know them is that they are super Electronic band and they did a collaboration with HALCALI. I don't know much about them... Oh and they are only 3 year old band that have released something consistently.

More like 7 years.
Originally called Lil', changed it to LIL.
First album release was in 2006, last one was last year.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Yep, it says that they are disbanding and all. But they do make a note of saying that they will carry their activity as musicians separately so that might be the silver lining for you there.

FUCK noooooooooooo :(

Strangely I was just listening to Lips in Lush today on my way to work... still their best IMO.

Gala

Just ordered my ticket for Asian Kung-Fu Generation in Cologne next month. 25 Euro, can't believe they are so cheap.

faridmon

Just ordered my ticket for Asian Kung-Fu Generation in Cologne next month. 25 Euro, can't believe they are so cheap.

We must have a different definition of cheap. 25 quid is usually reserved for bigger indie bands. I saw British Sea Power for 17 and they are quite big. For more Japanese comparison I saw Suga Shikao for 22, Girugamesh for 20, Lillies and Remains for 8 and [Champagne] will be for 12 quid.

Kurita

Asian Kung-Fu Generation are one of the biggest J-Rock bands man, way more popular than the artists you listed, 25€ is nothing.

Gala

We must have a different definition of cheap. 25 quid is usually reserved for bigger indie bands. I saw British Sea Power for 17 and they are quite big. For more Japanese comparison I saw Suga Shikao for 22, Girugamesh for 20, Lillies and Remains for 8 and [Champagne] will be for 12 quid.

I saw Mono, Envy and Lite for like 5-6 euro each if I compare it to the AKFG price, but Asian Kung-Fu Generation is one of the biggest J-Rock bands and for that 25 Euro are pretty ok.

I usually wouldn't spend that much money for most bands (since most of the bands I like sell there tickets für 10 or less Euro, max 15). But why not? It will be fun!

Infinite

Man, 25 quid is about 50 USD which is way more than I have spent for any Japanese music act here in the states.

Top Bottom