• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

tumblr_mmn3s83alo1rc7r1uby.jpg

tumblr_mmn3s83alo1rc713uy2.jpg

tumblr_mmn3s83alo1rc78uue2.jpg

Kurita

His pompous attitude can be seen more clearly in their latest album actually. Its quite mellow and try to tap more into a more experimentational route and tries too hard to be this post-pop styled music.

I hope they'll do less pompous music then because the latest album was kind of meh compared to Documentaly imo.

faridmon

That actually drives me towards listening to it tbh

You should. Join us to the dark side. Its fun :)

I hope they'll do less pompous music then because the latest album was kind of meh compared to Documentaly imo.

Personally, I think its their best one to this date and better than DocumentaLy. Its longer album with 15 tracks and many of them are quite diverse and have different feel to each other. The only good thing that DocumentaLy have done better is that their slower songs is better composed than the ones in Sakanaction, but overall, I would say Sakanaction is superior.

Larsa

Bah newest sakanaction is best sakanaction. Can't see what's pompous about it either.

From what I've seen Yamaguchi Ichiro seems like a cool guy that can talk and knows a lot about music. I watched a behind the scenes thingie about the making of the newest album and it just seems like he isn't afraid to speak his mind if he doesn't like what the other members are contributing. Which is what a band leader should do.

Personally, I think its their best one to this date and better than DocumentaLy. Its longer album with 15 tracks and many of them are quite diverse and have different feel to each other. The only good thing that DocumentaLy have done better is that their slower songs is better composed than the ones in Sakanaction, but overall, I would say Sakanaction is superior.
*hi5*

Kurita

I think I was disappointed by the non-singles songs (cause I really liked Music, Boku to Hana and Yoru no Odoriko), most of them were quite boring...

Kurita

The world of female idols always surprise me haha
23 is considered too old?

Meanwhile the Arashi guys are in their thirties, SMAP are 40yo... :lol

Zoe

I don't have anyone else to sob to about this, so :I'm still not over Reina leaving Morning Musume. I can't even pretend I like them anymore.

They've been going in a different direction for quite a while now. Has nothing to do with any of the girls leaving.

The world of female idols always surprise me haha
23 is considered too old?

Meanwhile the Arashi guys are in their thirties, SMAP are 40yo... :lol

It's because of the kinds of groups they're in. MAX and SPEED are in their 30's (though I wouldn't call them idols).

Zoe

Now that I think about it I rarely saw active idols in dramas, while the Johnny's dudes are everywhere.

The AKB family has a decent presence. Johnny's has an unfair advantage though because they own practically everything.

I don't have anyone else to sob to about this, so :I'm still not over Reina leaving Morning Musume. I can't even pretend I like them anymore.

Damn, so that just leaves Sayumi as the last of the old guard? Has she announced any plans to graduate? I went through a huge MoMusu phase several years ago, but I've been completely out of touch with the group since Ai Takahashi left. I should probably check out their recent stuff, I imagine I'll be surprised.

It was gonna happen sooner or later man. She's 23 :/

You know about loVendor? She's the frontgirl for this new group

I know she had to leave. It was time.. They aren't like JE. Ryosuke Yamada just turned 20 and they've been grooming him since he was 11. But what in the hell are those children called "momusu" doing. It's terrible. And I liked Aika! I feel like they're trying to attract young girls but are getting a different type of creepy old guy instead. It's like that Paradise go go/girl's box/Hinoi Team weirdness all over again.

I know about loVendor, and also know that they kinda suck. More then the usual amount of suck I can take I mean. Like Tsunku post "let's make Eggs girls famous!" sucked.

Now that I think about it I rarely saw active idols in dramas, while the Johnny's dudes are everywhere.
Shady JE business deals mean their boys are everywhere.

Infinite

I know she had to leave. It was time.. They aren't like JE. Ryosuke Yamada just turned 20 and they've been grooming him since he was 11. But what in the hell are those children called "momusu" doing. It's terrible. And I liked Aika! I feel like they're trying to attract young girls but are getting a different type of creepy old guy instead. It's like that Paradise go go/girl's box/Hinoi Team weirdness all over again.

I know about loVendor, and also know that they kinda suck. More then the usual amount of suck I can take I mean. Like Tsunku post "let's make Eggs girls famous!" sucked.

Isn't this the case with idol music, period? I don't get what you mean

loVendor is like idk I think something good to come from it but they off to a questionable start. That being said i feel like it's too soon judge them. They don't even have like a PV that i'm a aware of or a single.

Isn't this the case with idol music, period? I don't get what you mean

loVendor is like idk I think something good to come from it but they off to a questionable start. That being said i feel like it's too soon judge them. They don't even have like a PV that i'm a aware of or a single.

It's like, usually the management knows what they're going for. Neckbeards, creepy old men, etc, with a smattering of teenage girls and young women in their 20's. In a few cases though, the groups will be directed at young children, no questionable messages, fuck me eyes PV's, creepy promo material. Despite this, the previously mentioned groups will become fans, and "take over" (think bronies.) This turns off the younger audiens and their parents, and the management is forced to either change the group to fit the new demographic or dissolve and try again

Infinite

I mean I already understand that I'm asking how does momosu and their management fall into that but adding younger girls to their line up when that's A) something they always did and B) the neck;beard wotas you began to mention are fixated on AKB48 and their derivatives who don't 12 to 16 year old girls for the most part.

Also your description leaves out that those type of dudes are interested in these groups because they're being "hipsters" in a sense

Also your description leaves out that those type of dudes are interested in these groups because they're being "hipsters" in a sense
I think the stigma might be too high for this to be a thing. Unless you're Shirota Yu. Shirota Yu can like whatever he wants.

The neckbeards have time for more than one idol. Have you ever been on Hello!Online or the likes? Even internationally, the overlap is huge. If people were ONLY listening to AKB, Momoiro Clover and such wouldn't be in business anymore.

To clarify, I know that's the "Momusu way" and all to add young girls, but there was always some "cool" factor or something to make it less... Bland. And here were always older girls to mentor them. Gomaki leading all those girl power songs, Ai/Tsuji/the whole Mini Moni crew being hilarious and outspoken, Aika's first single was Egao YES Nude. Those things stood out. Morning Musume as of now looks like a video game parody of idols and idol culture with interchangeable dolls that are only very slightly distinguishable from each other, personality wise. Sayumi is great on TV, I hope she gets out of there soon for her sake.

faridmon

Speaking of which, anyone heard that MELL will quite singing after she has released her last album 2 month ago?

I really loved Melloscope and Red Faction (The opening song for Balck Lagoon) and I think its about time I give Mirage a listen.

Man what a devastating news.

Rael

Banned
I demand to know your AKB oshimen(s). Spill it!

I'm an Oshima Yuko fan but Sashihara and Yamamoto Sayaka from NMB are starting to make me want to oshihen <.<

Infinite

I think the stigma might be too high for this to be a thing. Unless you're Shirota Yu. Shirota Yu can like whatever he wants.

The neckbeards have time for more than one idol. Have you ever been on Hello!Online or the likes? Even internationally, the overlap is huge. If people were ONLY listening to AKB, Momoiro Clover and such wouldn't be in business anymore.

To clarify, I know that's the "Momusu way" and all to add young girls, but there was always some "cool" factor or something to make it less... Bland. And here were always older girls to mentor them. Gomaki leading all those girl power songs, Ai/Tsuji/the whole Mini Moni crew being hilarious and outspoken, Aika's first single was Egao YES Nude. Those things stood out. Morning Musume as of now looks like a video game parody of idols and idol culture with interchangeable dolls that are only very slightly distinguishable from each other, personality wise. Sayumi is great on TV, I hope she gets out of there soon for her sake.

I spent a lot of time researching for an academic paper i was writing in college as an undergrad on why Otaku like what they like and how they drive their fandoms forward. A common theme between why moe otaku are into moe and why wota are wota is because these things weren't before mainstream and thus it is cool. These kinds of counter cultures have always been that, counter cultures so it is a bit disingenuous to say that they're simply being creepy neck beards not to say that that isn't case at all.

Anyways on the morning musume; I think you personally just have a problem with the current line up and that's fine. If you don't find any of the newer members interesting that's cool but I just took issue with you saying "they're trying to cater to creepy neckbeards by introduce younger members". I mean, as you and I pointed out this isn't something new; they always had young members come in and be mentored by the older ones. Reina was 12 I believe when she joined the group. So I don't think the intention of management was to go that route.

I also brought up AKB48 because they are the hotness right and most of their members are 17 and up. I didn't imply that wota exclusively support AKB48 although all idol groups have their die hards, so that was a bit of a strawman on your part. What I was saying is 12 year old idols isn't exactly how management would go about attracting droves of the so called creepy neckbeards since their current fixation is girls who look like they can be in AKB48. I mean look at C-ute who has been outperforming morning musume on occasions. You simply don't like the new members which is fine.

I like happen to like some of the newer members like Haruna, Haruka, and Sayashi though. <3

I spent a lot of time researching for an academic paper i was writing in college as an undergrad on why Otaku like what they like and how they drive their fandoms forward. A common theme between why moe otaku are into moe and why wota are wota is because these things weren't before mainstream and thus it is cool. These kinds of counter cultures have always been that, counter cultures so it is a bit disingenuous to say that they're simply being creepy neck beards not to say that that isn't case at all.

Anyways on the morning musume; I think you personally just have a problem with the current line up and that's fine. If you don't find any of the newer members interesting that's cool but I just took issue with you saying "they're trying to cater to creepy neckbeards by introduce younger members". I mean, as you and I pointed out this isn't something new; they always had young members come in and be mentored by the older ones. Reina was 12 I believe when she joined the group. So I don't think the intention of management was to go that route.

I also brought up AKB48 because they are the hotness right and most of their members are 17 and up. I didn't imply that wota exclusively support AKB48 although all idol groups have their die hards, so that was a bit of a strawman on your part. What I was saying is 12 year old idols isn't exactly how management would go about attracting droves of the so called creepy neckbeards since their current fixation is girls who look like they can be in AKB48. I mean look at C-ute who has been outperforming morning musume on occasions. You simply don't like the new members which is fine.

I like happen to like some of the newer members like Haruna, Haruka, and Sayashi though. <3

Sayashi makes me want to tear my hair out, but Haruka has always been good in my book. I do have a personal issue with the new lineup, but basically I speak from my experience of the MM fans I've met over the years, it's anecdotal and of course I could be wrong. They've always had that audience, but I guess I don't feel that they have a peripheral aim at girls and young women anymore that I've always felt was present, that's all. I'd love to love Momusu again, no matter who else liked it, but Tsunku has just ventured too far away from my personal tastes I guess. Being a fan for so long, it's just kind of sad for me.

IT'S EVERYONE'S (my) FAVORITE FLOP RNB HYPE JASMINE with a new single and MV!
JASMINE IS PERFECT FOREVER. Her first album was like opening a box of diamonds to me oh my god. BENI used to be my fav R&B flop, but now she's not so much of a flop, so it's a toss up between JASMINE and Noa.

ChryZ

Perfume WORLD TOUR 2nd

July 3, 2013 (Wednesday) Germany Cologne GLORIA
July 5, 2013 (Friday) London O2 Academy Islington
July 7, 2013 (Sun) France Paris Le Bataclan

... some love for Euro :)

Kurita

Hope they'll release a live DVD like they did for the tour in Asia. Might buy it even though I'm going to the Paris show haha

Can't get enough of the HIATUS's performance at MTV Unplugged
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbxoaZTLjyQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXqgldDWl4M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIyZaY7EV2o

They've been performing with an orchestra for over a year now, I love this new direction.
Their songs sound even more epic than before, fantastic.
Ordered their new live DVD, can't wait.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S57NvW69oQs

Man, this is badass.

Listened to more Kyary stuff, I officially like her. And it helps that she's really, really pretty. XD

Kurita

Glad you liked the HIATUS ;) Definitely one of the best rock/alternative band at the moment.
I mean, just the line-up is crazy :
Vocalist - Takeshi Hosomi from Ellegarden
Guitarist - masasucks from Fullscratch
Bassist - Koji Ueno from Thee Michelle Gun Elephant
Drummer - Takashi Kashikura from toe
Keyboardist - Hirohisa Horie, which a famous producer
Support drummer - Masakazu Ichise from Asparagus
Support keyboardist - Ichiyou Izawa from Tokyo Jihen

Seriously, I couldn't believe it when Hosomi announced the members haha

Top Bottom