• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

I also am a (still) a big fan of Number Girl (and other Mukai Shutoku projects), if anyone's into that. I'm old, so all the bands during that era are my thing like bloodthirsty butchers

I dunno if anyone here knows of this band or cares, but they are one of the most influential bands back in the day, and still are to some extent, but i'm sad to pass on this news.

Hideki Yoshimura, bloodthirsty butchers frontman and guitarist, husband to Tabuchi Hisako (also of butchers, former Number Girl lead guitar) has passed away. RIP.

news source: http://natalie.mu/music/news/91684

any lover of alternative/indie/rock sound from japan, should at least check out their album, Kocorono at least once in their lifetime. :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Mari Yaguchi and hubby filing for divorce: http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/entertainment/2025081/full/ I think this is the week of their wedding anniversary to boot.

Apparently Yaguchi and Nakamura had been living apart since late February after Nakamura reportedly found Yaguchi in bed with male model Kenzo Umeda.

Mari always getting in boy trouble. ;P

I1lBEzHl.jpg

Infinite

On a sad note, Hideki Yoshimura the front man of the legendary band the Blood Thirsty Butchers has recently passed away due to heart failure. This saddens me

R.I.P
tumblr_mnlv0rPVH41rog81oo1_500.jpg

If you're familiar with the Butchers I guess we can sorta talk about our favorite songs, albums, and moments of theirs.

My personal favorite song from them is Jack Nicholson

I also really love July. I actually cried when I played it, this live is so moving. :(

Heyt

Banned
Was really into early Girugamesh, Mucc, Rentrer en Soi, The Gazette. None of those guys are what they used to be. :(

I personally still like mucc, how they have evolved and evading gettink stuck with their music style.

That style of bands went out of the visual kei map a while ago and the scene has changed quite a bit since then. They are not new bands but could recomend you to listen MEJIBRAY or SEL'M. Tokyo Heroes could also suit your tastes. I can assure you the last two bands are good for real. I personally don't like MEJIBRAY, but much of the old Girugamesh and Rentrer fanbase likes them.

iavi

I personally still like mucc, how they have evolved and evading gettink stuck with their music style.

That style of bands went out of the visual kei map a while ago and the scene has changed quite a bit since then. They are not new bands but could recomend you to listen MEJIBRAY or SEL'M. Tokyo Heroes could also suit your tastes. I can assure you the last two bands are good for real. I personally don't like MEJIBRAY, but much of the old Girugamesh and Rentrer fanbase likes them.

I was really on the Mucc bandwagon until Kyutai. Appreciating their experimentation and everything, but they lost themselves a good bit after.

Thanks for the recs! I'm really enjoying Tokyo Heroes. Their instrumentation isn't the strongest, but the vocalist is nuts.

Kurita

Was at Asian Kung-Fu Generation's show in Paris yesterday. It was sold out. Needless to say it was fantastic. The crowd was crazy, the band quickly became closer to us, they didn't hesitate to come near the crowd while playing. It was just so much fun. And the second encore came out of nowhere! People were starting to leave the venue when the band came back. We were all suprised :lol Great way to end this live, we were still all pumped up.
Easily one of the best concerts I've been to.

The setlist :
Shinseiki no Love Song
Magic Disk
Angou no Waltz
Siren
Re:Re:
N.G.S.
World World World
No Name
Night Diving
Gekkou
Jyuuni Shinhou no Yukei
Korogaru Iwa Kimini Asagafuru
Blue Train
Haruka Kanata
Rashinban
Loop & Loop
Rewrite
Kimi to iu Hana

Encore:
Solanin
Anemone No Saku Haru Ni

Encore 2:
Soredewa, Mata Ashita

So, AKB48 now has another record. Sayonara Crawl is now the highest selling single for a girl group. It topped SPEED's 'White Love'. SC is currently sitting at nearly 1.9m.

Peru

lol namedrop some more kashi

Do you like any British music? Has your music been influenced by any British artists or styles?

[Nocchi] I listen to lots of different artists, but I especially like the Arctic Monkeys.

[Kashiyuka] I like Delphic, The xx, Adele, Autokratz, James Blake, Four tet, Klaxons, Kyte, Matthew Herbert, Muse, New Order, Radiohead, Sbtrkt, Simian Mobile Disco, Squarepusher, Stubborn Heart, The Ting Tings, Under world.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
I'm pretty pissed off, but it turns out now that I can't make it to the Perfume concert in Cologne due to family obligations that take precedence. Needless to say I am extremely frustrated about it... huge disappointment. Thank God I didn't book the flight right away after buying the tickets, at least.

:'(

Anyway, I have two tickets now that I have to get rid of. I thought I'd ask here first if anyone could use them. I think the Cologne show is still not sold out, so I'd be willing to let the tickets go for half price or just €18 each. PM me if interested.

Aizo

Banned
Has anyone watched the Maximum the Hormone PV. Weirdest music video of theirs yet. They get a new album on July 31st!!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Mari Yaguchi and hubby filing for divorce: http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/entertainment/2025081/full/ I think this is the week of their wedding anniversary to boot.

Apparently Yaguchi and Nakamura had been living apart since late February after Nakamura reportedly found Yaguchi in bed with male model Kenzo Umeda.

Mari always getting in boy trouble. ;P

I1lBEzHl.jpg

Hmmm, just read somewhere that Yaguchi may be claiming domestic abuse or something for why she cheated?

Anyhoo, the media seems to be having fun with the whole thing at least:

0c52ed5b0cca7.jpg

It is complete bullshit. Probably the one and only time Perfume will come somewhere nearby and I fucking have to miss them.

I can still hold out hope that I'll see them in Japan someday soon. Haha... ha... :(

Looks like they're in London and then Paris shortly after...maybe take a bit of a trip and go to one of those concerts instead?

Infinite

If anyone is on american north east, two of the best bands in the Tokyo underground music scene, the Tacobonds and Groundcover. are touring here. If you aren't familiar with these bands here's their material.

Tacobonds
Groundcover.

Perfume interview with the British Japanese embassy
Perfume is an electro-pop girl group from Hiroshima that formed in 2000, consisting of three members; Ayaka Nishiwaki (Aa-chan), Yuka Kashino (Kashiyuka) and Ayano Omoto (Nocchi) who have had continuing success in the Japanese charts since their breakthrough hit “Polyrhythm” in 2007. Particularly notable for their futuristic, robotic, doll-like style and well-choreographed dance moves, Perfume seek to take their infectious energy overseas on their first tour to Europe in July this year (only their second time to tour outside of Japan). We spoke to the trio as they prepared to travel to Europe and meet their British fans for the first time.

You recently performed outside Japan for the first time on your “Perfume WORLD TOUR 1st” around Asia. On this tour you will play in three different European countries. What are your expectations for your concert in the UK?

[Aa-chan] I still can’t believe that there are people in the UK that know about and like us and fans that are so passionate! I want to be able to give something back to those people by showing them a great time and I’m hoping for the same response!

[Kashiyuka] We may receive a different reaction from the one on our Asia tour, so rather than just dancing along with us, I’d like to get people to enjoy and get into the music. Also I’m interested to see if anyone will come dressed up in cosplay!

[Nocchi] What kinds of people listen to Perfume? What types of people will like us? I’m looking forward to meet the fans that are waiting for us.

Have you been to the UK before? What are your impressions of the country?

[Aa-chan] I went to London last year. The buildings were very beautiful and wherever I went I was moved at how picturesque it was. Usually I don’t take a lot of pictures but I took so many in London – that was really impressive for me! Everything is colourful and bright, the sky seems so high! I felt free and was moved by the arts around the city.

[Kashiyuka] I’ve never been – so I’m really happy to be able to go on this tour!

[Nocchi] I’ve never been before. My impression is that it’s mix of a very homely and warm place, but also stylish.

Do you like any British music? Has your music been influenced by any British artists or styles?

[Nocchi] I listen to lots of different artists, but I especially like the Arctic Monkeys.

[Kashiyuka] I like Delphic, The xx, Adele, Autokratz, James Blake, Four tet, Klaxons, Kyte, Matthew Herbert, Muse, New Order, Radiohead, Sbtrkt, Simian Mobile Disco, Squarepusher, Stubborn Heart, The Ting Tings, Under world. Our music is produced by Yasutaka Nakata (Capsule) so I can’t answer if he has taken any influence from British music.

Have you had a chance to use English during your career so far? Are there any English words that you particularly like?

[Aa-chan] I used English a little bit on our previous tour of Asia but because of the difference in accents I found it hard to understand what was being said sometimes. Last time in London I ordered French fries and nuggets by myself in McDonalds. I’m not very confident speaking English so usually speak quietly, but that time I said my order loudly and was understood - so during our concert I’ll try to speak clearly without being embarrassed - nice to meet you!

[Nocchi] “I’m Kashiyuka. I’m Aa-chan. I’m Nocchi. Together we are Perfume!” I’ve really enjoyed doing this kind of basic greeting in English. Even though I feel a bit shy when I do.

[Kashiyuka] Our track “Spending all my time” is completely in English so I struggled really hard with the pronunciation. When I’m singing along to the melody, my accent becomes more Japanese – like katakana-speak, so I’m wondering what people outside Japan will think when they hear it. Also, it’s not a particular word, but I’m interested to know which genre people will classify us in as artists.

Have you made any changes to your concert to particularly appeal to the British fans?

[Kashiyuka] We’re planning to choose different songs from our first Perfume World Tour in Asia. We’d like to choose ones that we think our European fans would enjoy. We’d also like to include new art and techniques in the production of our show.

[Nocchi] For most people I think it will be their first time to see Perfume so I’d like to give a concert that makes them say “ah, so this is Perfume!”

Do you have any free time during your visit to the UK? Is there anything you would like to do or see while you are in the country?

[Kashiyuka] Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like we will get much free time in the UK. I wish I had time to go sightseeing and shopping. I’d like to go to the Library and Museum of Freemasonry and to Notting Hill.

[Aa-chan] Last time I came to London I thought that the London buses were a very convenient mode of transport. They are cute and stylish too! I’d like to have a chance for the three of us to travel on them together. I’d also like to visit some markets and buy lots of cheese to take home.

[Nocchi] Aa-chan told me that bread and pastries are delicious so I’d really like to try some as I love bakery goods. Definitely!

Even though this is your first concert in the UK, tickets sold out in minutes and you were upgraded to a larger venue which again sold out very quickly. This shows just how many British already people know about Perfume and are looking forward to seeing you here. What do you think it is about Perfume that the British fans like so much?

[Aa-chan] It’s a miracle! I can’t believe it! It really, really is an honour. I am so happy! Amazing… I mean, is it really true that people know about Perfume? I still find it hard to believe. If people really are looking forward to seeing us then I absolutely want to give them an exciting evening! I want to reproduce the same atmosphere as our concerts in Japan. I really think that Perfume’s appeal is in our live shows so I’d really like to give an exciting performance for many people.

[Nocchi] I am so happy! I can’t believe it! My heart starts pounding when I think about meeting the fans. Rather I’d like to ask you that question though - what do British fans really think of us? Tell us!

[Kashiyuka] I think it’s our combination of music and dance (choreography). Also, maybe our black hair?!

There are many British people wanted to see you but weren’t able to get tickets for your concert in London this time. With this great response already, do you consider the UK to be a potential location for future concerts and music releases?

[Aa-chan] If that’s what people are thinking then we definitely want to release our music in the UK. If we get a lot of requests then we will come to perform. It all depends upon everyone in London! We are waiting for your loud cheers!

[Kashiyuka] I still can’t believe our tickets are actually sold out! I’m really surprised! But if there are at least that many people that want to see Perfume I’d like to try and play at an even bigger venue and release new songs.

Since Perfume’s debut you have achieved your dream of playing at many large venues around Japan and have also started to perform overseas. What are your future plans for Perfume in Japan and around the world?

[Nocchi] I’d like everyone to have more fun and would like to do something that will get people excited!

[Kashiyuka] I want to create music in which non-Japanese people can hear the good aspects of music from our country but at the same time our Japanese fans can hear our impressions of travelling the world. Although I’m not speaking from a position of great experience, I would like to make music that crosses all country borders, and just perform music that all people can enjoy.

[Aa-chan] I think that British people have great taste but I would like more of them to know about our great music from Japan. Personally, we are fans of our composer, so we really want people to understand just what is good about his music. We also want to continue to reach for our dreams. As a whole team we want to enjoy our life! We hope that British people will continue to check our progress!

Aizo

Banned
If anyone is on american north east, two of the best bands in the Tokyo underground music scene, the Tacobonds and Groundcover. are touring here. If you aren't familiar with these bands here's their material.

Tacobonds
Groundcover.

That's a mighty subjective statement you're making with "two of the best bands in the Tokyo underground," I think.

jokkir

Just went back a ton of pages and saw the recommendation for The Telephones.

They're pretty great. Very Western sounding or some British band I heard of before... I forgot which though.

Kurita

You like MTH, too? Yay! I have high hopes for the new album!!

Hopefully it'll be as good as the album Buiikikaesu.

Unrelated, I recently started to listen to Gen Hoshino. Man, I love what this guy does!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYJS0O-9tIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D01Q2jn9A8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YuNtpBxT6k

Also, if you like instrumental rock, you have to listen to LITE's latest album, Installation.
PRWqzqt.jpg

Might be one of their best albums so far, if not the best. Easily one of the best albums of 2013 so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlWiRjIcjOk (this song isn't really representative of the whole album though)

Infinite

Hmm. We all have our preferences. Too esoteric for me.

Also, "Well they are" is the best argument I've ever heard in my life. Well done.
I'm not trying to have an argument, fall back. I only said what I said and I stand by it whether you disagree or not. I don't need to preface my posts with " this is my preference"

Kurita is right about lite's album, It's definitely one of the strongest of 2013. Lite has been too consistent lately which is crazy since I felt they peaked with phantansia

Kurita

This album felt like a perfect mix of all their previous stuff.
It had some Phantasia elements with more "classic" post-rock stuff and yet it had some awesome electro-ish sounds every now and then.
Alter Ego is fantastic, so are Echolocation, Fog Up, Hunger and Subaru. Actually I can't think of one track I didn't like.

Aizo

Banned
I'm not trying to have an argument, fall back. I only said what I said and I stand by it whether you disagree or not. I don't need to preface my posts with " this is my preference"

Kurita is right about lite's album, It's definitely one of the strongest of 2013. Lite has been too consistent lately which is crazy since I felt they peaked with phantansia

Which other underground bands do you like?

Infinite

Which other underground bands do you like?

Nearly every recommendation I make in this thread is for an indie/underground/esoteric, whatever term you prefer, artist or band.

Bands or artist I'm into now are Hananzo, Miu Mau, I Want City, Accidents in Far Field, Merpeoples, Head on the Sofa, May.e and ZZZ's to name a few.

This album felt like a perfect mix of all their previous stuff.
It had some Phantasia elements with more "classic" post-rock stuff and yet it had some awesome electro-ish sounds every now and then.
Alter Ego is fantastic, so are Echolocation, Fog Up, Hunger and Subaru. Actually I can't think of one track I didn't like.

Yeah like all the songs range from solid to amazing. Hunger is one of my favorite tracks right now

Aizo

Banned
Nearly every recommendation I make in this thread is for an indie/underground/esoteric, whatever term you prefer, artist or band.

Bands or artist I'm into now are Hananzo, Miu Mau, I Want City, Accidents in Far Field, Merpeoples, Head on the Sofa, May.e and ZZZ's to name a few.

Yeah like all the songs range from solid to amazing. Hunger is one of my favorite tracks right now

How did you find these bands? They're more obscure than even the ones I listen to, haha. I like some of the recommendations you've made on earlier pages!

Top Bottom