• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Infinite

Cheers. I will give them chance. Right now I am floored with so many albums. This year have been amazing for Music.

Personally never been fan of [Champagne], in fact, I would go as far and say their music irritates me. The vocals delivery is bad and the music is trying to be progressive without any plan or structure. I am sure others will disagree with me, but that's where I stand.

I gave them some spins today after seeing the thread and I didn't really like what I heard.

Kurita

9mm Parabellum Bullet's new album, Dawning, is dope as expected. Their previous album Movement was okay but not memorable, this one is really good from start to finish.
As usual it's very energetic, it never fails to make you dance.
The new songs are great, especially The Lightning, Grasshopper and 黒い森の旅人.
The singles Answer And Answer and ハートに火をつけて really hyped me for this new album and I can't say I'm disappointed.

Infinite

Just realized that there's a ton of Japanese indie pop bands on the scene now all of a sudden. I'm liking what I'm hearing for the most part.

Aizo

Banned

faridmon

faridmon

It was ok. I will say that I wanted more songs like Parallel Paradise and A Seed of Tomorrow from their previous EP but we didn't

Exactly. A more Post-Punk revival style of bass integration (ala The smiths) was the thing that made me enjoy it. Now, we have a more less poppier version of Galileo Galilei which is not something I want.

Infinite

My thoughts on Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's Nanda Collection: A pretty good single collection. With that said I didn't really like most of the new tracks with the exception of Noriko to Norino. Maybe they'll grow on me but that's how I feel now.

Exactly. A more Post-Punk revival style of bass integration (ala The smiths) was the thing that made me enjoy it. Now, we have a more less poppier version of Galileo Galilei which is not something I want.

Completely agree.

A news channel got a really good angle from Perfume's Cannes performance

abbsn7.gif

bopspa.gif

cvmsuo.gif

Sourcerer

I posted this in the K-pop thread, only makes sense to post it here!

I'm going to see Perfume in London on Friday, so excited! Which reminds me, my friend bailed on me and I have a spare ticket I'm trying to give away.

For free, no strings attached. If someone here will be in London and can use it let me know. It's a bit late to send in the post so I'll need to hand it over at the event.

Probably post it up on Gumtree/Craigslist and maybe some Perfume forums or something. It's free and as long as it goes to a fan I'm happy, have no desire to profit from it.

Peru

Seen them twice the past year and still burning with jealousy. Will rage if they do special trickery on stage.

Kurita

4 days until the Paris show!
And after this I'll have to wait more than 3 months before ONE OK ROCK's show...

It's been a great year for Europe :lol

ChryZ

En route to Cologne, got a bit of a road trip ahead of me, hopefully the traffic gods have mercy, can't wait to see Perfume live. I'll report back tomorrow.

ChryZ

Perfume's WORLD TOUR 2nd off to a brilliant start. I'm not going to spoil anything, like set list, etc.

The crowd was about 30% japanese, 50% male, 50% female, age around 18-35 with a few exception. Some hardcore fans, easily identifiable by event related apparel of previous tours (world tour 1st, triangle, game, etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFUVtDviKgM

The venue was good for 1000 people and definitely not oversold. It was full, but not too packed. There was plenty of room to move. The first row was 1-2 meters away from the stage, very little spacer, nice and cozy.

The crowd reaction was eruptive when Perfume stepped on stage, it almost seemed like the girls were shocked by such a warm welcome. A~chan cracked first, she was enjoying herself way too much. Nocchi and Kashiyuka warmed up after two or three songs. I was surprised how much stage presents Perfume were able to muster, the term bigger than life sprang to mind. They all gave everything and were clearly spent at the end of the show. The whole thing was over in the blink of an eye, although it was 2h30m. Epic standing ovations (yes, plural).

I've never heard any of their music at club volume, but I'm pretty sure what was used at the event wasn't album material. The basslines, beats, etc sounded fuller and harder.

After the show something interesting happened, pre-show people were handed flyers with the lyrics of Macaroni and the request to sing the song after the show. The flyer was multi lingual, full color, looked very official, but as it turned out later on fan-made. The crowd did it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CRjG-aS_uo

tl;dr last night was amazing, perfume loved cologne, cologne loved perfume (pun intended)

Oh shit, that's a queue alright lol

I'm at the London show tomorrow, so hyped!

Thinking I might go on over to the venue as soon as I arrive to assess how many are lining up already.

ChryZ

Oh shit, that's a queue alright lol

I'm at the London show tomorrow, so hyped!

Thinking I might go on over to the venue as soon as I arrive to assess how many are lining up already.
You're in for a treat. This might sound greedy, but I'm almost jelly and would love to experience this a second or third time XD

The Perfume staff were also like "oh shit, that's a queue alright" and recorded everything a couple of times with their cams. Even local passersby would stop all the time and ask WTF was going on. I, for one, had to explain it like 50 times.

Peru

You're in for a treat. This might sound greedy, but I'm almost jelly and would love to experience this a second or third time XD

I've felt that very strongly after their shows. An insatiable appetite. Also yeah, local fan clubs were doing similar events for their Asian shows - a song or something at the end. We got them to sing a long for a few words.

faridmon

A friend of mind is going to that Perfume gig. I am sure you will enjoy it!

is there anything from Japan in the US iTunes store you guys would recommend a buy?
or amazon music is fine too please

Lillies and Remains - Moralist S.S.
The Brixton Academy - See You in Dream
Holidays of Seventeen - IMOK
The Flickers - Eien
Monica Uranglass - Katie
Check those out!

faridmon, Jinn is awesome. Thank you for showing this to us.
You are welcome. I am glad you like it. Jinn is one of the first Japanese Band I have experienced and one that helped me to get into the scene very deeply. Them being consistently good over the years also helped.

Aizo

Banned
Wow.. BiS celebrate breaking into the Oricon top 10 for the first time at #6 with their most hilarious and satisfying noise stunt yet http://youtu.be/rjVT-jsiPnw

I've never really understood how to enjoy listening to Noise rock and the like. I like some pretty harsh death metal, pop, and experimental music, but I cannot wrap my head around Noise.

Larsa

faridmon

I've never really understood how to enjoy listening to Noise rock and the like. I like some pretty harsh death metal, pop, and experimental music, but I cannot wrap my head around Noise.

Noise is the best. Its all raw guitar driven music without any digitisation and amplified distortion and reverb effect that adds to the atmosphere.

Bo Ningen is also available in Western music outlets and they are amazing, especially live. They are Noise, Psychedelic ban that have this groove to their distorted guitar and base driven music which can be very affections.

Henkan - Koroshita Kimochi - Nichijyou (Featuring Jehnny Beth of the awesome post-punk band Savage) - Gasmask Rabbit

Other Noise based bands:

Sekaitekinabband - New (New Version) Post-Punk band that have Noise element to them.
Molice - Headphones Noise pop band with New Wave and Garage element to thier music
Cruyff in the Bedroom - ainettie Shoegaze band that also have Noise pop element to them ala The horrors and TOYS
Cold Kitchen - YUUUTSU NA HITSUJI TACHI Alternative band that rely heavily on distortion and reverb effect. Very Sonic Youth.

Kurita

BiS's gimmick got old pretty quickly, I have a hard time enjoying what they do...

Peru

BiS's gimmick got old pretty quickly, I have a hard time enjoying what they do...

Their gimmick and attention seeking tactics change up all the time, a new angle every video. But their music reminds consistent in sound and high quality.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So after seeing a random Utaban clip on Youtube of some old school Morning Musume antics, I decided to catch up on Hello Project news since I haven't seriously followed any of it in the last 4 or 5 years at least. Apparently there was a big concert with some old school Momusu folks over a year ago that was the closest thing to a reunion of sorts (only ones missing from the first couple of gens were Fukuda, Sayaka, and Kago). Nakazawa looks pretty damn good for almost 40.

4 of the original 5:

OIVElEUl.png

Original Tanpopo + Rika.

GPPET6Yl.png

2nd gen Pucchi Moni:

EiGZhK4l.png

Abe, Goto, Nakazawa:

UWeBS17l.png

As a huge fan of Golden Age Morning Musume, seeing the old gang together again was fun, especially 1st gen and the Tanpopo/Pucchi Moni units, even if Ishiguro only was part of the Tanpopo set. If only some of those pesky later gen girls weren't part of the show. ;P

It also reminded me how off a few of the performances felt due to those who were missing...damnit Kago. ;_;

Also, Goto needs to get going again. How long is her hiatus with Avex supposed to last?

Top Bottom