• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Zoe

Falling out with the label? Or is she more wanting to go the model route now?

Too many personal issues, and she'd rather be at home playing Monster Hunter.

As for the label, she was originally Rhythm Zone, but then she got kicked to Avex Trax.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Too many personal issues, and she'd rather be at home playing Monster Hunter.

I thought Yaguchi was the main gamer and Goto was just doing advertising/spokesperson work?

As for personal issues, not surprised given all the issues that have gone on with her family.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Nope, she actually showed off her game room on one of Downtown's shows. She's one of the rare Japanese 360 owners.

Heh, I bet Yaguchi hooked her up with industry contacts to land the Monster Hunter gig. Gonna have to hunt down that episode now. Was it Heyx3 or another Downtown gig?

Kurita

Just a few hours remaining until Perfume's show in Paris!

Last night there was a fan meeting in a restaurant. There were about 85 people, including more than 30 Japanese people! We still managed to talk with them thanks to a mix of broken English and Japanese :lol One of them did acoustic covers of the songs, everybody was singing...
It was a ton of fun, so I'm really looking forward to the show tonight!

ChryZ

The first people are lining up already, now that's dedication. [tweet]https://twitter.com/kaetama/status/353793969559310336[/tweet]

Just a few hours remaining until Perfume's show in Paris!

Last night there was a fan meeting in a restaurant. There were about 85 people, including more than 30 Japanese people! We still managed to talk with them thanks to a mix of broken English and Japanese :lol One of them did acoustic covers of the songs, everybody was singing...
It was a ton of fun, so I'm really looking forward to the show tonight!

Super jelly again.

Kurita

Just a short message...

It was FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!!!

Now I will go to sleep 'cause I'm so tired...
Will do a longer post tomorrow.

Kurita

Alright so...
As you may know they did the same thing as in Cannes with the dresses and all that stuff.
It was just fantastic to see this live, I was really impressed by it and the crowd was just crazy!
You should have seen my face when they appeared. I seriously couldn't believe it, the three girls were standing there, I was waiting for this since 2010.

Then Spending All My Time started and man... some serious goosebumps. I couldn't help but jumping and singing during the entire song, I was so pumped up. The whole crowd was singing along...

During the MCs they sang Aux Champ-Elysées and We Will Rock You with us, it was so cute and fun!
I was really happy to see that they did their best to talk with us, in English or in Japanese (with a fan translating what they were saying).

When they started Polyrhythm, A-Chan was quite moved and almost cried, she was so adorable.
Nocchi was crying near the end of the show, she really was exhausted and touched by the crowd's reaction. She was also really close to us, and often spoke with the crowd in English (seems like she's the most skilled), more than during concerts in Japan.

At the end of the show, after the encore, we all sang Voice. We didn't expect a reaction from the band and yet, A-Chan sang with us! We were so happy to hear her. Before, after and during the show, we were always cheering, clapping, shouting their names, they were really impressed by us.

The whole show was amazing, with lasers, lights... It was a giant dancefloor. Everybody was so happy, there was so much energy from start to finish. The music was pretty loud, but I do think it was perfect! You just couldn't stay still and that's what Perfume is all about! You just have fun and feel good during two hours, it's awesome.

I feel like they understood how much we love them, and I think they didn't expect to see that kind of atmosphere! The crowd was amazing, and we definitely felt a connection with the band, the music... It was just fantastic. I'm definitely proud of the crowd, which was composed of very different people. Young people, some older ones, girls, boys, French, Japanese...
It shows that Perfume truly resonates with everybody.

Long story short : it was the best concert I've seen ever. They've set a new standard for live shows outside of Japan.
I think I love them even more after this show. Thank you Perfume for this epic show.

Also, according to some people who went to the three shows, the one is Paris was the best, and they said that the crowd was really passionate and pumped up, more than in England and Germany. Yaaaay!
(I'd like to say more stuff but since English isn't my native language it'd be hard to express some of my feelings, sorry :lol)

The setlist
M01 Spending all my time(Extended Mix)
M02 Magic of Love
M03 レーザービーム
M04 ポリリズム
-MC-
M05 Spring of Life
M06 SEVENTH HEAVEN
M07 スパイス
Handy Man (it was just the instrumental version)
M08 だいじょばない
M09 エレクトロ・ワールド
P.T.A.のコーナー
M10 FAKE IT
M11 Dream Fighter
M12 チョコレイト・ディスコ
-MC-
M14 MY COLOR

EN01 ねぇ

Sorry for the long post but at least you understand that I loved it haha

Infinite

I've never really understood how to enjoy listening to Noise rock and the like. I like some pretty harsh death metal, pop, and experimental music, but I cannot wrap my head around Noise.
I spent most of my teenage years listening to Noise and some of the genres you posted above lol. Idk it's definitely an acquired taste but the BiS song over embellishes aspects or things commonly found with in the genre and performances.

To the guy who asked what type of Japanese music he can get on iTunes, Zazen Boys, Miu Mau and Luminous Orange all have albums and/or singles available on iTunes.

ChryZ

Now we have feedback from Cologne, London and Paris! XD

I'm so glad that Perfume's Europe tour was such a success. Hopefully they'll return some day.

Kurita

Good job Europe!

And now, I'm waiting for ONE OK ROCK in October.
Still can't believe I'll see them, I'm sooooooooooo hyped, they're my favorite active band and I've been listening to them since 2007. Such a great year for J-Music fans in Europe.

faridmon

To the guy who asked what type of Japanese music he can get on iTunes, Zazen Boys, Miu Mau and Luminous Orange all have albums and/or singles available on iTunes.

Miu Mau? Seems to be another band I should get into,

Having Zazen Boys be on Itunes, I am still shocked why Kimonos is not there. I mean, Leo Imai is even popular in the west.

Kurita

Alright, the live version of Ending Story?? by ONE OK ROCK is just amazing... I'm just a bit disappointed that the screams aren't live, but I understand that Taka couldn't do them without hurting his throat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd3Qr6mpNv8
I really feel like they passed a milestone since their new album released this year, they seem more mature and experienced.
(Waiting for the full live to be uploaded now :lol)

In other news, I really dig the new MAN WITH A MISSION song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAJSxyRldZw
As always it's pretty catchy, love these guys!

Kurita

Oh and Japanese fans gave us some Chocolate Bisco (*dead*) at the Paris meeting.
tumblr_mpmqwrTlld1r8n81ao1_500.jpg

Alright so...
As you may know they did the same thing as in Cannes with the dresses and all that stuff.
It was just fantastic to see this live, I was really impressed by it and the crowd was just crazy!
You should have seen my face when they appeared. I seriously couldn't believe it, the three girls were standing there, I was waiting for this since 2010.

Then Spending All My Time started and man... some serious goosebumps. I couldn't help but jumping and singing during the entire song, I was so pumped up. The whole crowd was singing along...

During the MCs they sang Aux Champ-Elysées and We Will Rock You with us, it was so cute and fun!
I was really happy to see that they did their best to talk with us, in English or in Japanese (with a fan translating what they were saying).

When they started Polyrhythm, A-Chan was quite moved and almost cried, she was so adorable.
Nocchi was crying near the end of the show, she really was exhausted and touched by the crowd's reaction. She was also really close to us, and often spoke with the crowd in English (seems like she's the most skilled), more than during concerts in Japan.

At the end of the show, after the encore, we all sang Voice. We didn't expect a reaction from the band and yet, A-Chan sang with us! We were so happy to hear her. Before, after and during the show, we were always cheering, clapping, shouting their names, they were really impressed by us.

The whole show was amazing, with lasers, lights... It was a giant dancefloor. Everybody was so happy, there was so much energy from start to finish. The music was pretty loud, but I do think it was perfect! You just couldn't stay still and that's what Perfume is all about! You just have fun and feel good during two hours, it's awesome.

I feel like they understood how much we love them, and I think they didn't expect to see that kind of atmosphere! The crowd was amazing, and we definitely felt a connection with the band, the music... It was just fantastic. I'm definitely proud of the crowd, which was composed of very different people. Young people, some older ones, girls, boys, French, Japanese...
It shows that Perfume truly resonates with everybody.

Long story short : it was the best concert I've seen ever. They've set a new standard for live shows outside of Japan.
I think I love them even more after this show. Thank you Perfume for this epic show.

Also, according to some people who went to the three shows, the one is Paris was the best, and they said that the crowd was really passionate and pumped up, more than in England and Germany. Yaaaay!
(I'd like to say more stuff but since English isn't my native language it'd be hard to express some of my feelings, sorry :lol)

The setlist

Sorry for the long post but at least you understand that I loved it haha

Awesome. Now, please perform in California!

Infinite

Miu Mau? Seems to be another band I should get into,

Having Zazen Boys be on Itunes, I am still shocked why Kimonos is not there. I mean, Leo Imai is even popular in the west.
I'm was really shocked that the Kimonos didn't get a western release period. I think that would do relatively well here.

As for Miu Mau it's a 3 piece indie pop group specializing in catchy poppy electronic tunes. Here's some of their stuff:

Muso no Hikari this video is very perfume esque but in a weird hipster kinda way if that makes sense lol
News
Neon Sign

The members all come from 3 different bands/acts. The guitarist is the vocalist from Hyacca for example.

Also I found another album of the year contender in Spazzkid's Desire. You guys can check this out on bandcamp and name your price for a download. There's no minimum so you can download it for free if you want. http://spazzkid.bandcamp.com/album/desire

ChryZ

Cologne tried to negotiate all the encore songs, after some back and forth, A~chan mentioned briefly that the dance routine for Love the World was the most difficult one and it kinda tipped the whole thing. She wasn't kidding, they almost tripped over each other while changing positions towards the end. It was almost refreshing after all the perfection on display, human after all XD

faridmon

One day I'll make you jealous and see cool Japanese artists, too, Europeans! Revenge will be mine.

They do tour to your place regularly. Except that they aren't big over inflated Jpop artist. Its not a a daunting task. I have seen 4 Japanese bands/artists just last month alone.

Molice, for instance, did a whole tour around America recently asking people to start kick their new album.

I'm was really shocked that the Kimonos didn't get a western release period. I think that would do relatively well here.

As for Miu Mau it's a 3 piece indie pop group specializing in catchy poppy electronic tunes. Here's some of their stuff:

Muso no Hikari this video is very perfume esque but in a weird hipster kinda way if that makes sense lol
News
Neon Sign

The members all come from 3 different bands/acts. The guitarist is the vocalist from Hyacca for example.

Also I found another album of the year contender in Spazzkid's Desire. You guys can check this out on bandcamp and name your price for a download. There's no minimum so you can download it for free if you want. http://spazzkid.bandcamp.com/album/desire
Nice one. Will check them out as soon I have some money available.

Kimonos is such missed opportunity. Thier Debut Album is sung in English, Zanen Boys have a big following in Europe and America, Leo Imai is half Swedish and hsi English is top notch, it was even being collaborated by big Western names such Greg Sauner of Deerhoof and arcade fire sound engineer.

Shiori just released her new single, "Don't Cry." Not bad at all and see kinda looks and sounds like Miwa. Only 17, just a year younger than Ieiri. With all these young artists are emerging, makes me feel like I should accomplish more...

However, Spyair's new single is awesome. I just started listening to this band a couple months ago and they're really making some good songs. Same with Back Number but their new single isn't as great as their last song. Still good though.

Kurita

If you like hyper-catchy jazz/funk, Zainichi Funk is a pretty good band :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H14XFS1zVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25UIyZukCEw

Also, thanks to the drama Saikou no Rikon, I started listening to Keisuke Kuwata (from the legendary band Southern All Stars)'s solo stuff and it's great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RimbbrV63Y

And, thanks to another drama, Moteki, I discovered Flower Companyz, a really good rock band :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLcHFPYVHiQ

Shiori just released her new single, "Don't Cry." Not bad at all and see kinda looks and sounds like Miwa. Only 17, just a year younger than Ieiri. With all these young artists are emerging, makes me feel like I should accomplish more...

If you like cute young girls singing, I also recommend Aoi Yamazaki - http://youtu.be/SzWiePnD0cg
(I still can't believe Ieiri Leo is as old as me :lol)

Aizo

Banned
They do tour to your place regularly.
How do you know where I live? D:
I move to Japan in two months, though, so I'll be sure to tell you all about concerts. I'm very excited! Let me know if there are concerts that you lot know about while I'm there.

Kurita

How do you know where I live? D:
I move to Japan in two months, though, so I'll be sure to tell you all about concerts. I'm very excited! Let me know if there are concerts that you lot know about while I'm there.

Well, Perfume will perform at the Tokyo Dome in December... I'm just sayin' :p
Maybe you could go to a festival such as the Countdown Japan?

Kurita

Oh, Fake It was just amazing live, the crowd was simply crazy when it started!
It definitely is one of the best song to experience live.

Aizo

Banned
Well, Perfume will perform at the Tokyo Dome in December... I'm just sayin' :p
Maybe you could go to a festival such as the Countdown Japan?

Perfume at the Tokyo Dome sounds incredibly expensive. I'll probably go to festivals! I wish I could go to Fuji Rock this summer.

Edit: After looking at Countdown Japan, I'm definitely going. Holy fuck.

Ajikan, Bigmama, avengers in sci-fi, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, World Order, [Champage], Perfume, the telephones, and OH CTHULHU!!! THAT'S ONLY THE FIRST DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kurita. I think I'm in love.

Edit 2: Every day except the 30th is sold out. You built up my dreams and crushed them, Kurita. I'll never forgive you.

If you like cute young girls singing, I also recommend Aoi Yamazaki - http://youtu.be/SzWiePnD0cg
(I still can't believe Ieiri Leo is as old as me :lol)
Not the reason why I listen to certain people, but she's not bad. I usually tend to listen to solo artists as I can't really stand group artists like Perfume(don't kill me guys). Exile is an exception.

Ieiri is probably the only Japanese singer who I instantly fell in love with her songs when I first listened to her. I seriously expect her to have a good career. She was unique and different from typical Jpop singers. Plus her lyrics are actually good such as her new single "Message" and past single "Bless You." When I saw her age, I was shocked. So young and yet, better than most Jpop artists. Her background story is also hits the heart(I keep repeating this lol). If she's only 18, I can't wait for her to unveil what she has in store for the future. /end of Ieiri fanboy ramble. It seems she's steadily getting known, which is good. Support her!

Kurita

Perfume at the Tokyo Dome sounds incredibly expensive. I'll probably go to festivals! I wish I could go to Fuji Rock this summer.

Edit: After looking at Countdown Japan, I'm definitely going. Holy fuck.

Ajikan, Bigmama, avengers in sci-fi, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, World Order, [Champage], Perfume, the telephones, and OH CTHULHU!!! THAT'S ONLY THE FIRST DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kurita. I think I'm in love.

Edit 2: Every day except the 30th is sold out. You built up my dreams and crushed them, Kurita. I'll never forgive you.
Actually they haven't updated the website for this year edition, so you're looking at last year's line up :lol

faridmon

I just got an album of theirs last week! That would be excellent.

Which one? I am listening to Spectrochroma and I have yet to develop some sort of impression on. ephoriaofeuphobia, however, now that is an excellent record.

by the way, they don't have ''Albums'' but mini-albums :p

Top Bottom