• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Meffer

Alright, order is confirmed! Had to use paypal since it kept rejecting my debit card though my paypal took the funds from my bank account anyway so why reject my card in the first place? Anyway, since it's a preorder, when will they start shipping?

Club Nintendo Gold for JPN is pretty cute:

bg_calendar.jpg

img_calendar01_big.jpg

img_calendar02_big.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wow, the 3DS data transfer seems to be basically dead at this point. Looks like I was one of the lucky ones who squeezed through.

urfe

Just picked up my stuff:

Here in Fukuoka were no lines at all and plenty of systems still available. Monster Hunter 4G on the other hand was sold out at many places.

Curious to hear how DQX is, if the servers are getting better, if it's better on the new3DS.

May be the game I buy with mine too.

lolitsgriff

Neo Member
I'm hoping my order from Nippon Yasan ships soon, I contacted them about when they would start shipping and they basically said they get their shipments when it releases instead of for release itself, so I think those of us who ordered from NY will be waiting a few days extra.

I'm not too concerned, I don't have a whole lot to play other than Sm4sh, but I really want to hold my shiny new toy....

How comfortable is the standard size N3DS? I got an LL but I am sort of interested in the smaller version for the kisekae plates and SFC buttons.

Just found out how to avoid missing my delivery on Monday as I have a doctor's appointment in the morning within the timeframe FedEx would deliver (by 10:30am). I opted to customize my delivery (only possible once the package arrives stateside) and chose the option of having it held at a FedEx center of my choosing. Naturally, I chose the center closest to my doctor's office to pick it up after my visit. I could've opted to just sign the package release form but... There's no greater joy than having a FedEx employee hand me my package in person.

(Just hope my normal delivery guy isn't upset, lol. He is usually so nice and likes the fact that I will sit on my porch waiting for him and actually walk to the truck when I see him coming. He says he wishes all his customers were that nice and courteous)

Garou

So my New 3DS LL arrived this morning, everything seemed fine but during the initial setup-process I noticed a small white spot on the lower screen. :( Went to Akihabara to exchange it at Yodobashi, but no more stock, so I returned it.
All of Akihabra still has boatloads of regular models, but not a single LL. I guess the old 3DS will have to do for now...

mrback

So how's everyone getting on with there new 3ds? Be nice to hear some impressions on 3d & picture quality compared to the previous iterations. How's the comfort?

StayDead

Here are the big news I guess. Just popped in my reformatted microSDXC 64GB card into the New Nintendo 3DS and it works perfectly fine! The system simply doesn't support the exFAT file system, so just reformat to FAT32 and that's about it.

Have you got the exact name of the SD card so I can look into getting one at all? :>

Impotaku

What a fantastic taste.

What's that Pikmin icon? Folder?

Ah thanks, the pikmin thing is actually a bit of software. Nintendo released 4 sets of prepaid cards that double as augmented reality cards, the pikmin icon is a photo app there is also one for animal forest & super mario. They work the same as the AR cards that came with the 3DS you can take pics using the characters that come on the cards.

Here's a vid explaining how they work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rYZL4mAQw

The 3D effect is waaaay better and I guess it would work quite well in Ocarina of Time, but playing a game like Street Fighter IV, would be still a mess. Too fast hardware movements make the screen flicker. The 3D effect isn't fast enough to adapt to that speed, but other than that it's a pretty nice bump
So let me see if im begining to understand. Leaving the face tracking out, it seems that the viewing angles are improved in relation to the original model. Now when the viewing angle is compromissed the camera tracking enters and adjust the sweetspot. Is this what's causing the flickering?

Moving the unit around gently, like you would typically do in a normal play session, like for example adjusting your posture doesn't brake the 3D effect?

Also how those the C stick compare to the Circle Pad Pro in the game's that support it?
Wonder if you could leave the 3D effect on in Star Fox while controlling the ship with the Gyro in first person view.
Loading time comparison on MH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubVmO5QYWos

What's more interesting is that this is a comparison based on the vanilla version, not MH4G
It seems to me the boot time to game is improved, the actual in game load times between areas are the same. Either way a nice bonus if indeed the case.

Any Miiverse video comparisons yet?

Edit: And we have them now in the Rekameoh 9 minute video above.

Miiverse experience is vastly improved.

Now we need youtube comparisons XD

Impotaku

Can't download any Themes from the eShop, keeps going to an error screen. Are the servers being hammered?

Working fine here & im accessing from in the UK and managed to buy a theme from Japan. It's a bit slower but still working.

So let me see if im begining to understand. Leaving the face tracking out, it seems that the viewing angles are improved in relation to the original model. Now when the viewing angle is compromissed the camera tracking enters and adjust the sweetspot. Is this what's causing the flickering?

Moving the unit around gently, like you would typically do in a normal play session, like for example adjusting your posture doesn't brake the 3D effect?
Pretty much, yeah.

Here are the big news I guess. Just popped in my reformatted microSDXC 64GB card into the New Nintendo 3DS and it works perfectly fine! The system simply doesn't support the exFAT file system, so just reformat to FAT32 and that's about it.
Oh that is awesome, def gonna pic up the 128 GB one ASAP ^_^

Zornica

Banned

Also how those the C stick compare to the Circle Pad Pro in the game's that support it?
Wonder if you could leave the 3D [...]

I'm not sure if the viewing angles are improved, or if it's due to the new head tracking. But its way way easier to find the sweet spot, or rather: "in new 3ds, sweetspot finds you!".

the flickering is probably due to re-adjustment issues when the software just can't keep up with the movement speed.
it kinda looks like vertical tearing.

It's by no means perfect, but it's good enough.
I'll surely use the 3d more often with the n3ds.

I'm not sure if the viewing angles are improved, or if it's due to the new head tracking. But its way way easier to find the sweet spot, or rather: "in new 3ds, sweetspot finds you!".

the flickering is probably due to re-adjustment issues when the software just can't keep up with the movement speed.
it kinda looks like vertical tearing.

It's by no means perfect, but it's good enough.
I'll surely use the 3d more often with the n3ds.
Another set of impressions, great.

So by now is pretty much confirmed, it still not posible to use gyroscopic aiming and the 3D effect at the same time.

Did your eyes got tired when using the 3D effect in the past? Asking because i would be interested in knowing if the people that couldn't play for extended periods of time with the earlier models could have an easier time with the N3DS.

Also under normal conditions, have the 3D effect broke like it usually happen before with the original 3DS even with slight movements?

Impotaku

For me i found the vertical banding bad on the XL on light coloured screens you could see the dark bands even when in the perfect sweet spot even the tiniest of movement and the dark bands would appear. The big screen seemed to make them more noticable.

I'm hoping the N3DS fixed that problem although when i played on the smaller original 3DS the bands would hardly appear if you were in the sweet spot. Going with the smaller N3DS so i don't think it will be as noticable.

mrback

Thought they would be load of impressions on the net today but not much at all. Mine has landed in Koeln Denmark so not long to wait hopefully.

Impotaku

YAY both parcels have shipped from Amazon, mega parcel on its way. N3DS, charging cradle, 10 faceplates, 32 gig micro sd, carry case & 2 screen protectors.

And now the waiting game begins, back to fantasy life to pass my time hehe.

scamander

Banned
YAY both parcels have shipped from Amazon, mega parcel on its way. N3DS, charging cradle, 10 faceplates, 32 gig micro sd, carry case & 2 screen protectors. And now the waiting game begins, back to fantasy life to pass my time hehe.

How much did you pay for all faceplates combined? Just curious.^^

Docpan

Redsuungamer says the volume levels have not been improved at all from original and xl 3ds models.

That is really disappointing. Way to drop the ball.... For the third time.

The original DS XL remains the supreme handheld for this very reason.

Impotaku

How much did you pay for all faceplates combined? Just curious.^^

14081 yen would have been less but i bought the suede & wood faceplates & those are the most expensive 2.

Got no's, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 12, 21, 22 ,32, 24.

Have the smash bros one on preorder but thats not out till next month.

scamander

Banned
14081 yen would have been less but i bought the suede & wood faceplates & those are the most expensive 2.

Got no's, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 12, 21, 22 ,32, 24.

Nice! I wanted to buy the XL model, but if they end up to offer the wood faceplate in Europe, I have to think about that again. :D
...or maybe I'll just import a Japanese n3DS on top to have both. Never done that, but it's really tempting AND I could finally play all those Japan exclusive games. Time to get those minna no nihongo books out of the basement, I guess. xD

Just watching DJMizuhara's videos - in particular the download speed test.

Now it's obvious that the New 3DS is much faster (and just like the video they showed pre-release). But is anyone else wondering exactly why? What has an improved CPU got to do with download speed?

The only thing i can think of is that the 'download' screen must masking the decompression of the games. To get a speed increase that high it's probably something ludicrous like 15% actually downloading, 85% decompression. Would explain why 3DS has always seemed to be the slowest at 'downloading' anything out of all devices in my house.

I want to see one of those load time comparisons on Resident Evil Revelations. Just because. Also comparisons of the New 3DS running DS software full screen.

IN that case do you consider the smaller screen to be much of a problem?
As for now, I'm on the fence. It's way better then the OG launch model I had back then, but way smaller than the LL. It's ok for now, but I have to see how it grows on me. Really love the device quality and visual. It's not a regret at all, just maybe not used to it yet probably.

Ok, so I am about to give both PlayAsia and FedEx a big piece of my mind. Checked my tracking very late last night/early this morning only to have the status "Clearance Delay- Import: Commercial Invoice Is Incomplete" which equates to something being wrong or misunderstood on the invoice of my package.

In the 2 and a half years I have been buying from PlayAsia (having purchased a Black LL from them over a year ago) I have NEVER had this happen before... UGH!!!

So I immediately sent PlayAsia a message via Facebook as they respond more quickly there than via their own customer service inquiry page and a rep said they would contact FedEx and update me once they had information on the situation. In turn, I also called FedEx at like 3 in the morning and they said they would call me sometime today with an update....

Is it too much to ask for that this is cleared up before Sunday night/Monday morning so I can have my treasured system?!?! *cries buckets*

Has anyone had theirs shipped from nippon-yasan?

Also, slightly odd question, but are the wi-fi options extended at all on the N3ds? In particular, is it possible to connect to uni wifis which require a login?

mrback

Germany ;)
You may know Köln as Cologne. DE on your tracking service is for "Deutschland".
Thankfully, wherever you live, doesn't change too much for you. :)
Haha lols, did a quick Google & it showed Denmark! Honestly guv ;) now at Charles de Gaule FR, France I reckon ;)

mrback

Sadly no. :(
No movement here from Nippon Yasan, I ordered a white n3ds from them & a black from play Asia. Couldn't decide on colour so will decide when they show. Just gonna sell the one I want least but still can't make my mind up. Anyone gone on black? Most vids seem to be white.

Top Bottom