• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Beckx

Alright, just waiting on my New 3DS to get to Tenso now, should be there Sunday Japan time. Almost! In the meantime, I think I may move my current 3DS data over to my new micro card in an adapter. Then after I do the system transfer (licenses only) I can just pop the card into the New 3DS and be good to go, right?

Bought 3 Gunvolt themes. Damn them for putting different tunes into each, I can't resist changing them.

Zornica

Banned
got myself a nice gunvolt striker theme

hni_0029_jpgthpgo.jpg

hni_0030_jpg2zr7k.jpg

that's the only one I actually like... probably because I have a weak spot for purple :7

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Alright, just waiting on my New 3DS to get to Tenso now, should be there Sunday Japan time. Almost! In the meantime, I think I may move my current 3DS data over to my new micro card in an adapter. Then after I do the system transfer (licenses only) I can just pop the card into the New 3DS and be good to go, right?

Bought 3 Gunvolt themes. Damn them for putting different tunes into each, I can't resist changing them.
Yeah, that's what I did a week ago when I got my card from amazon and today I only had to do the 3ds data transfer and put the micro sd in the new machine.

StayDead

I should've ordered the SD card before now. My adapter/sd card won't be getting here until like wednesday which means I won't be able to copy my save data will I? I don't really understand how the transfer works, but maybe I'll have to wait until wednesday to play everything/do the transfer.

EDIT: Changed to one day delivery. It's £7.99 but I want to be able to play as soon as possible.

StayDead

So when I get my new Micro SD do I just copy paste all the data from my current SD card onto my PC, then move it onto the new card, do the system transfer then pop the card in my new machine?

Meffer

Has anyone had theirs shipped from nippon-yasan?

Also, slightly odd question, but are the wi-fi options extended at all on the N3ds? In particular, is it possible to connect to uni wifis which require a login?

Not yet, next week apparently. Should get it by the end of that week.

Forkball

Oh man these themes stomp all over the US ones. Does the US even have the free downloadable ones? I don't remember seeing them at all when I checked the US eShop a few days ago.

x Maiku x

It seems like a lot of the New 3DS screens have a yellow tint like the original XL had. Does anyone have one without the yellow tint?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Argh. Why weren't they shipped today? :(
They don't ship on weekends and have an average 3-4 day processing time

It seems like a lot of the New 3DS screens have a yellow tint like the original XL had. Does anyone have one without the yellow tint?

Edit - Oh geez just saw that hachima tweet
https://twitter.com/htmk73/status/520934143371141120

Based on the user poll on the blog post it looks like maybe 60%~ of them are tinted yellow, though fanboy readers are strong so I don't know how accurate that actually is

63bef7cdb9.jpg

mrback

With regards to the yellow tints isn't this generally different dependant on power save mode & brightness settings. I've had screens before with a yellow tinge & I've always got used to it. Not worried.

Edit: just looked at the pic. Lols.

DarkWish

My New 3DS from Japan is in my area! But still won't arrive until Monday. Can't wait! It's my first imported console.

I'll definitely be doing an unboxing, speed comparison, etc. I plan to download Super Smash Bros. on the New 3DS as well.

M3d10n

That's because both Smash Bros. and MH4 reboot the 3DS into a different mode to get more RAM, causing the long black screen before showing the loading screen. The n3DS doesn't need the rebooting since it already has double the RAM.

Just watching DJMizuhara's videos - in particular the download speed test.

Now it's obvious that the New 3DS is much faster (and just like the video they showed pre-release). But is anyone else wondering exactly why? What has an improved CPU got to do with download speed?

The only thing i can think of is that the 'download' screen must masking the decompression of the games. To get a speed increase that high it's probably something ludicrous like 15% actually downloading, 85% decompression. Would explain why 3DS has always seemed to be the slowest at 'downloading' anything out of all devices in my house.

I'm not sure if the 3DS downloads the games compressed, since it doesn't have separate "download" and "install" phases like the Wii U, unless the games are downloaded a small compressed chunks which are decompressed as it goes. I assume Nintendo managed to put a better/newer wifi chipset in there.

Dunno if this is the right place to say that, since it's mainly an import thread, but I just sold my white 3DS LL at Mandarake Fukuoka for ¥11.000. Not too shabby. It was complete wirh box and in top condition. Don't wait too long if you are planning on selling your device. Prices will probably go down within the next few days/weeks.

I could've sworn I read faceplates come with a code for a theme inside them. Maybe not then.
I'm going to pick one up later (if I find the one I want), so I will let you know. I was also under the impression faceplates come with a matching theme.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Dunno if this is the right place to say that, since it's mainly an import thread, but I just sold my white 3DS LL at Mandarake Fukuoka for ¥11.000. Not too shabby. It was complete wirh box and in top condition. Don't wait too long if you are planning on selling your device. Prices will probably go down within the next few days/weeks.

I'm going to pick one up later (if I find the one I want), so I will let you know. I was also under the impression faceplates come with a matching theme.
Damn you, Fukuoka! I sold my LL in top condition at my local Geo in Tokyo with everything and got only 8k :( Sad part is that Geo usually has the highest buyback prices around here...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I might as well keep mine considering I dont have the boxes for the damned things. Actually Im sure I do just dont feel like digging it out of wherever I put it.

One thing for sure is though am quite happy with my new 3DS LL just that dont dig the LE design of the MH4G model... D: My アイルホワイト stomps all over this one thats for sure design wise.

Great machine though, nice to see the improvements done. Though wonder why they decided to put the card at the bottom?

I had to buy the blazblue theme for the music alone. Love it!

Man I cant decide on that or the MH one. D: lol

Weils

Neo Member

bobawesome

Did you guys watch this video by RedSunGamerTV? It's about changing the face plates for the new 3DS and it's really cool. Hope that the next Vita model or whatever is able to do this too. And pretty sure the PS4 is getting face plates as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsl8yGHGv88&list=UUIFCS1LJnQ9x3VAxoUOZUPQ

On a side note, is that header image used at the OT from Tofugu?

The suede faceplate looks very nice. I kind of want a New 3DS now. I'm still rocking a launch day model.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Holy mother of god.

I received it today, did a system transfer. Probably had about 15gb of stuff on the old one.

It took SIX AND A HALF HOURS.

L.O.R.D

according to homebrew
the N 3DS has 124 mb of ram Vs 64 mb in normal 3DS
also , it has the same clock rate , but it has 4 cores

Great machine though, nice to see the improvements done. Though wonder why they decided to put the card at the bottom?
Remember, now more of that top area (where the card slot was) is been used because of the inclusion of ZR & ZL buttons.

It is quite striking how much sense design wise the changes have in this new units and it's apparent this is the state this machines should have shipped back in 2011. Is quite clear that Nintendo makes regressions to their designs when changing generations so they can latter possibly grab a second sale from the same buyer with model revisions.

Among these various things, having the sound volume and 3D volume where they are now is so much intuitive and accesible. The extra index opperated ZL and ZR are in the only place it makes sense withouth adding extra depth to the device or over complicating the design. Having the card slot in the front avoids the extra step of repositioning the device to swap cards.

Only thing that got more cumbersome is swapping the storage card, which is mitigated since it is not an usual practice. On the other hand they gained alot of extra space by opting for a smaller SD form factor. Btw, it would have been nice if the opposite end of the stylus had a notch that allowed the screwing of the bottom face plate, so that process would be completely tool less Possibly that plastic part of the stylus would degrade itself over time but why not? XD

Mr Swine

Banned
Well, it was rumoured that Nintendo upped the clockspeed. But it seems that in fact, they doubled the CPU cores.

I think from a technical standpoint a quad core CPU gave much better results than a doubling of the CPU speed. So I guess they have gone with a smaller node to compensate with going with a quad core design:)

Detailed comparison done by Game Watch Japan between 3DS/3DS LL and new 3DS/3DS LL. The staff tested the new handhelds' 3D auto correction with the face tracking using games from Sega 3D Reprint Classics and comparison of loading times using Smash.

PS: Didn't know the new 3DS faceplates have a transparent coloured version too?

Page 1: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20141012_671012.html
Page 2: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20141012_671047.html
These are the best impressions so far, too bad Google translate produces a far too confusing translation.

If someone could please translate, at least page 2, that would be fantastic.

GameWatch talks quiet indepth about the 3D functionality and it seems the person did some intensive tests, even used gyro controls of some of SEGA 3D Classics. Here's hoping someone does an Ocarina/Star Fox 3D using the gyro.
I think from a technical standpoint a quad core CPU gave much better results than a doubling of the CPU speed. So I guess they have gone with a smaller node to compensate with going with a quad core design:)
Seems to be an smaller node, assuming Nintendo still uses the same battery capacity in both models (leaving the new dynamic backlighting aside) and the fact that the size of the form factor hasn't increased that much to acomodate dissipation for the extra heat doubling the core count would create.

Are the hinges wobbly?
Yes, they are a bit.

Also face plates don't come with a code for downloadable themes, at least not so far.

Custom themes for games could be a nice little extra revenew stream for publishers, so hopefuly every game from now on will have a new one. Or maybe even older games.
Man, the head tracking is awesome! Should have been like this from the start - the 3D works wonders!
Keep the 3D impressions coming.

Could you expand a bit? How much better would you say it is compared to the effect on the previous systems?

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Basically I could move the thing around a bit. For example, in the Monhan 4g village I could move the 3ds to a good 45 degree angle away from my face before the 3d effect broke. It's brilliant.

However, my girlfriend didn't it. Maybe her eyes are differently adjusted though as she has pretty bad vision.

In terms of hinges, not wobbly at all on my regular N3DS. However the left hinge can be wiggled a little up and down if you touch it.

I was worried I had the yellow tinted screen at first, but it turns out power saving was on my default - doh.

In terms of size, I'm in 2 minds. The smaller screen makes the image better but the overall form factor will take some getting used to again after the LL.

The new stylus sucks dick. It's tiny. It's crap, just like the original DS phat. The OG 3DS extendable one was much better. Seriously, it's absolutely horrible and the placement is poor. However, kid Icarus is pretty much the only stylus game so I'm not too worried.

*edit

Just tried the Resi demo and the nub counts as a circle pad pro. Will definitely take some getting used to using it to aim, though...

Top Bottom