• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Seil

Does anyone else' power save settings seem reversed? When I switch it to on the screen gets a slightly yellow tint but when I switch it to off it becomes a clearer white/blue. This is with full brightness and auto brightness adjustment off. It's completely reversed from my LL

Also interesting that nintendo included a slip of foam between the screens this time. Probably because the screen scratching is still a potential problem.

Don't have a n3DS, but both my normal and XL work that way. Turning it on makes the screen yellowish, cutting it off makes it clear and bright.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Don't have a n3DS, but both my normal and XL work that way. Turning it on makes the screen yellowish, cutting it off makes it clear and bright.
Sorry I typo'd the original post

Screen gets white when I set power save to on
Screen gets yellow when I set power save to off

It's reversed on my old LL (the correct way)

kubus

I had something shipped from them via EMS last week and it took nearly a week to go out. No idea why, but once shipped it took just a few days to get to my area. Unfortunately, USPS came at an inconvenient time when no one was home and now I have to get it from the post office. Was there yesterday and they couldn't find the package. -_-

In contrast, the N3DS I ordered with FedEX shipping is already at the local depot, despite the previous delivery estimate of tomorrow (which was pushed up from Friday).
Lesson learned, I won't order anything from them with EMS anymore :(.

Still no shipping confirmation, despite them saying they'd ship it out today. To my knowledge it's already way past midnight over there so this is getting really annoying.

Not impressed by nippon-yasan so far :(

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Lesson learned, I won't order anything from them with EMS anymore :(.

Still no shipping confirmation, despite them saying they'd ship it out today. To my knowledge it's already way past midnight over there so this is getting really annoying.

Not impressed by nippon-yasan so far :(
I posted about a similar experience on the 3rd page of this thread lol
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128553860&postcount=132

They're definitely not great in terms of customer service and processing time but I put up with all of it for the prices.

Owari

Got it! Wow, this thing is great! I can't believe how great the 3D looks. One question though. I can't seem to find my club Nintendo code? Haha.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Got it! Wow, this thing is great! I can't believe how great the 3D looks. One question though. I can't seem to find my club Nintendo code? Haha.
No more CN codes for consoles for Japan unfortunately. Would you mind checking your power save settings later and see if the effect is reversed from your old 3DS unit(s)?

kubus

I posted about a similar experience on the 3rd page of this thread lol
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128553860&postcount=132

They're definitely not great in terms of customer service and processing time but I put up with all of it for the prices.
Wow, you're right, basically the exact same experience :p

Service reps are rude indeed, I politely asked why my order is delayed and all they said is "I ordered many items and chose EMS". First of all I only ordered a 3DS, two faceplates and a cradle. Secondly, I don't see why that would make things more complicated. And what has EMS to do with anything here?! So frustrating...

But yeah like you said, I'll put up with it because their prices are unbeatable. At least I'll know what to expect next time, and that I should never go with EMS ever again :p

Impotaku

Anyone with a Japanese 3DS and wanting to try the hero bank 2 demo i have finally found a QR code as the demo is closed off unless you have a copy of the nov issue of corocoro as that's the only place the demo code appears, just scanned the zoomed in code & it took me to the demo on the eshop.

What makes the demo special is if you complete it and then use the full retail release it will find your demo save data and unlock shadow & sonic hero suits for you to use in the full game hehe.

The code is here
http://gehanew.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-4492.html

More info on the hero bank 2 website.
http://herobank.sega.jp/3ds2/enjoy/en03_try.html

Impotaku

Well i just used it so i think that anyone can as it's from someones blog online so i imagine thousands have used it already.

The zoomed in pic works but you may need to adjust the lighting and wiggle the 3DS about a bit to get it to scan as it's pretty blurry but it works.

Just use Kana, that's how my japanese account was set up. Remember though you have to make sure your name is exactly the same as the one registered to tenso if you are going to be using a tenso address for physical gifts.

Mine isn't set up through tenso it's via a friend who lives there so i can't say for sure if tenso/nintendo will allow.

Thanks!

Cool, thanks for the code, Imp!

By the way, is there no black charger stand for standard New 3DS? I see one for the LL and standard ones in white/pink/blue. But I can't find a black one...

Halabane

The scaling to the new resolution is sometimes shit, though. Some games look fine, but many end up having some blurring on text and whatnot. When you run it 1:1 by holding start/select when launching the game, on a normal size 3DS it's ridiculously tiny, while on an XL it ends up being comparable to a DS screen which is great.

Though I'm leaning toward a standard size n3DS, DS games will probably still get played on my XL for this reason.

I looked at bunch of games and it looked fine to me. Are you talking about the old 3ds or the new 3ds? The old one had issues like you said.

Seil

I looked at bunch of games and it looked fine to me. Are you talking about the old 3ds or the new 3ds? The old one had issues like you said.

I was referring to old because you just said "the beauty about the 3ds", which made it seem like it referred to all. Does the n3DS scale the games differently? If so, that's great.

Edit: Virtually any name would've been better than "new 3ds" =( 3DS+ or something. Causes so many problems.

Owari

No more CN codes for consoles for Japan unfortunately. Would you mind checking your power save settings later and see if the effect is reversed from your old 3DS unit(s)?
Sure, but where would this setting be located? I was trying to figure it out and I couldnt.. Heh

Halabane

I was referring to old because you just said "the beauty about the 3ds", which made it seem like it referred to all. Does the n3DS scale the games differently? If so, that's great.

Edit: Virtually any name would've been better than "new 3ds" =( 3DS+ or something. Causes so many problems.

I was speaking to the new one...and I don't have any data other than my eyeball. I will play around with it and see. To me it looks like with the larger screens they scaled it better but I will look closer.

The name thing is going to be a pain. maybe we should call it n3ds vs 3ds

Impotaku

Top left corner of home screen the button that brings up the theme change menu, the power save option should be in there.

Impotaku

Finished the hero bank 2 demo it appears once you complete the end of it you can't go any further on your save file however you can start a new game if you like but i'm happy just to leave the save data how it is. The battle system is pretty basic but a lot if fun i especially like how you can tag in & out and have combined attacks. The story takes place after the first game/anime series, looks pretty interesting. Nagare's new dominion dollar form looks badass.

One of the few new games that sega created that isn't yet another disappointing sonic game, a new ip for starters which makes a nice change. I'll keep supporting hero bank as i really enjoy them, even stumped up cash for a bankphone G. The merchandise is fun & it works with the first 3DS game making QR codes that you can use the game & arcade to scan.
bankfon.jpg

The first hero bank game also links with the second but i have yet to see what unlocks from doing so it will be fun finding out.

StayDead

I didn't order any screen protectors as the hori ones weren't up when I ordered. Think I should be fine without them? It's going to cost me £11 to ship them and they only cost £4 x_x

Looks like someones got wood.

After looking at it closely, it's like wood veneer on top of plastic. But mind that the texture feels AMAZING.

I didn't order any screen protectors as the hori ones weren't up when I ordered. Think I should be fine without them? It's going to cost me £11 to ship them and they only cost £4 x_x

As long as your not playing crazy stylus games, like Ouenden, you should be okay.

Okay, I have a new video to post...

"New Nintendo 3DS" C-Stick Demo & New Features Overview

I gave my impressions on the auto-brightness and the improved 3D with head tracking, as well as used the C-Stick in Resident Evil: Revelations and Super Smash Bros. Enjoy! Next video I do will be a speed comparison test (which I'll hopefully upload tomorrow), and then when I get back from my trip to Orlando, my faceplates will have arrived by then.
Commendable job with the 3D angle impressions DarkWish, these are the most detailed ones i' ve seen so far. For the most part it seems as long as you are in the camera view range the system does a decent job maintaining the effect. For example, it was crazy how long it kept it while you were tilting the system paralel to the ground. On the other hand when tilting it up, it lost the effect faster since it lost track of your face faster due to your positioning.

The first part of the plane video, was the play sticking out of the screen? For some reason this type of 3D pop out effect is not commonly used in 3DS games.

Very in depth C stick impressions also. Only minor draw back was that the REvelations footage was way to Darkwish to see. Maybe you should have increased the backlit intensity for that part.

Other suggestion i have for the speed test, is to not waste much time with the eShop comparison since it has been documented from various sources already. Tests for web pages of different complexity, youtube, HTML5 games/videos could be more interesting. Maybe the Miiverse one also, including posting and pages with lots of pictures.

Do you felt any difference in touch screen responsiveness? Does dragging things with the fingers work better? For example, going from DS to 3DS it felt better as well as going from 3DS to Wii U gamepad, the touch screen kept getting more responsive.

Now, about that impact test from 3 floors high. Or stick to the basics and just throw the device into a blender.
Is hilarious that the "i" suffix would have worked wonderfully yet again for obvious reasons and also due to the similarities the revisons share.

TheUnsane1

Neo Member
So far I am really loving the N3dsLL.

Early Observations:
- I like having the shield and throw available on either side with the extra shoulder buttons, this is a feature I had no idea I'd get, or wanted.
- I can't see the 3ds 3d typically so I can't comment on how well it works but it seemed like it was keeping things less horribly blurry when I had it on so it is for sure doing something better.
- The chunky new stylus in the LL is perfectly fine for me, but as a lefty I am less likely to use anything but thumbs on the touch screen.
- MH4 and Smash load noticeably faster, and no longer black screen on close.
- Feels more comfortable in my average adult male sized hands, but does seem slightly more slippery. Feels like the weight of the unit is much better balanced overall.

StayDead

After looking at it closely, it's like wood veneer on top of plastic. But mind that the texture feels AMAZING.

As long as your not playing crazy stylus games, like Ouenden, you should be okay.

Wario Ware touched I think made me far more careful with touch screens than anything ever haha.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, but where would this setting be located? I was trying to figure it out and I couldnt.. Heh
Top left icon on the home screen. First turn the one labeled 明るさの自動調節 to Off and then try toggling the one below it 省エネモード between On and Off.

The correct results should be that the screen gets a slight yellow tint when toggled to On and slightly brighter/whiter when toggled to Off.

Mine's reversed x_x

TheUnsane1

Neo Member
Top left icon on the home screen. First turn the one labeled 明るさの自動調節 to Off and then try toggling the one below it 省エネモード between On and Off.

The correct results should be that the screen gets a slight yellow tint when toggled to On and slightly brighter/whiter when toggled to Off.

Mine's reversed x_x

I get the Bluish when off Yellowish when on result.

Well I've been playing around with my n3DS for a bit...
The C Stick works waaaay better than I expected. Same with the 3d. I can actually use it now.
Really impressed with this thing so far.

So I had this brainwave, and...

ic7Sh6VkDckWu.JPG

iKLpbLD7lB6gl.JPG

Doubtless confirmed already, but DS cards are still region-free in the Brave New3DS World :)
When the device is officially anounced for an American release there needs to be some type of organized campaign to convince Nintendo of America to bring the white color. It looks absolutely stuning, and the themed colored buttons jump more than in the black version.

To DarkWish, peoplesbureau, malenstein or any of the other active importers on the thread: it would be kind of interesting to do the folowing experiment. i wonder how much difference the head tracking does for 3D, so how much the effectiveness of the effect is diminished when turning the tracking off?

It also would be interesting to comapare the effect when face tracking is off with the original 3DS, to see if there has been any improvement to the paralx barrier.

Hearing impressions about this would be very educational XD

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
For those of you who have the New 3DS, how portable is it compared to the original 3DS? I own the 3DS OG and 3DS XL, but I switched back to the 3DS OG because it's far more portable/easy to take around than the XL is. I commute everyday to and from, so I have my 3DS on me quite often.

Would you say it's just as portable? Also how's the sound quality on the speakers? The 3DS OG speakers are quite good compared to the XL's, wondering how this compares.

Thanks!

Meffer

For those of you who have the New 3DS, how portable is it compared to the original 3DS? I own the 3DS OG and 3DS XL, but I switched back to the 3DS OG because it's far more portable/easy to take around than the XL is. I commute everyday to and from, so I have my 3DS on me quite often.

Would you say it's just as portable? Also how's the sound quality on the speakers? The 3DS OG speakers are quite good compared to the XL's, wondering how this compares.

Thanks!

I would say it is indeed portable. Feels much sleeker and more durable. And I love the matte finish.

Here's a question. I remember hearing after a system update years ago that some games benefited from it such as Rayman 3D.

Has New 3DS done this with any game even if it's not advertised as such?

Also, can someone confirm the current framerate of Ridge Racer 3D? I heard once it does run at 60 but everywhere else I've heard 30. No clue if any updates changed anything.

Rich!

Here's a question. I remember hearing after a system update years ago that some games benefited from it such as Rayman 3D.

Has New 3DS done this with any game even if it's not advertised as such?

Also, can someone confirm the current framerate of Ridge Racer 3D? I heard once it does run at 60 but everywhere else I've heard 30. No clue if any updates changed anything.

Think of it this way - the n3DS is an N64 Expansion Pak. Did Goldeneye get a better framerate from that?

no, because it wasn't coded for it. The software doesn't have any calls for it or references it in any way...because it didnt exist back then. This is a difference to the rayman situation.

Edit: and before anyone calls me out on it, I know the 64DD was technically around then as a dev option, but the example still fits in this case as until the standalone release, the expansion pak wasn't intended for use other than with the 64DD.

Anyone with a Japanese 3DS and wanting to try the hero bank 2 demo i have finally found a QR code as the demo is closed off unless you have a copy of the nov issue of corocoro as that's the only place the demo code appears, just scanned the zoomed in code & it took me to the demo on the eshop.

What makes the demo special is if you complete it and then use the full retail release it will find your demo save data and unlock shadow & sonic hero suits for you to use in the full game hehe.

The code is here
http://gehanew.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-4492.html

More info on the hero bank 2 website.
http://herobank.sega.jp/3ds2/enjoy/en03_try.html

Congratulations! You've been credited for that amazing find at SonicStadium! HUGE thanks for that! :D

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/10...nlock-sonic-and-shadow-costumes-in-full-game/

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
My impressions. The only thing I can't comment on yet is battery life.

Received my New 3DS today. The box contains the system, manuals, AR cards, and has the top cover removed, perhaps to show how easy it is to remove or to be ready for additional covers. No AC adapter is included, which is unfortunately typical of Nintendo's Japanese handheld releases. The N3DS comes with a 4GB micro SD card already installed. If you want to replace this, you'll need a micro philips head screwdriver to remove the bottom cover, which also is necessary to change to a different cover and for access to the battery.

15522732966_0560bb18f1_c.jpg

Although the N3DS is not that much smaller than the 3DS LL, it feels much smaller and is noticeably lighter in comparison.

14925687904_8a8646aecb_z.jpg
15360792930_c8ba5b2113_z.jpg

All the previous 3DS models I've owned always had slightly loose hinges. The N3DS does not have this issue, which further helps the improved 3D viewing angle. The head tracking feature finally makes it possible to play games in 3D without needing to keep the 3DS as steady as possible. I usually play games with 3D off, but since this feature has seen a massive improvement, it finally feels like a viable feature, even when playing where it would be harder to keep the system steady, such as Smash Bros. Smash also loads noticeably faster on this model.

15522723686_1a7297b80f_z.jpg

All of the buttons and ports around the system frame have been moved on the 3DS, leaving the bottom sides completely smooth. The volume slider has now been moved to the top screen, and the cartridge, stylus, and power button are the bottom part of the frame. The shoulder buttons have been made smaller, to make room for the added ZR and ZL buttons. The only change I dislike is the stylus location; it just feels awkward removing it from the bottom.

15547274122_7e5cc00129.jpg
15522729536_6d538b318f.jpg
15522726916_dd2353f661.jpg

The bottom screen now only houses the Home button, which has been made much easier to press. Start and Select have been changed into smaller buttons, found under the face buttons. The nub that acts as the second analog stick initially feels odd, but is extremely responsive and worked perfectly with Super Smash Bros. when I tested it. I did have some issues with using it for the camera in Senran Kagura 2, however.

15360789850_85e8423dc5_z.jpg

In comparison to the 3DS LL screen, the N3DS screen produces a sharper, slightly more colorful image and the speakers also sound noticeably louder. One issue I had with both previous 3DS models was ergonomics. My hands tended to cramp up with use, particularly on games where the triggers were needed. The N3DS feels more comfortable and it's easier to hit both sets of trigger buttons, however I still felt some discomfort when playing Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition- Using the shoulder buttons and d-pad together is still somewhat awkward.

15360290078_84038058b1_z.jpg
15359808159_f5e48fcd1c_z.jpg

I have mixed opinions about the system's revamped aesthetic. There's something about the N3DS that almost makes me think of an older game system -and I don't mean the Super Famicom style facebuttons- perhaps because the form factor isn't quite as sleek, with noticeable lines and all the visible ports/buttons on the frame. The system appears more "toy-like" than previous models as well, although not as much as the 2DS.

Although this now the fourth iteration of the 3DS, the system is worth a purchase for its improved ergomics, vastly-better 3D screen, added controls, and boost in power, which will be used later on for N3DS-only title.

15359804029_84ef995aa1_z.jpg

Top Bottom