• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

DarkWish

Any videos showing the standard new 3ds next to both a regular 3ds and regular 3ds xl?
My video shows a comparison with the regular 3DS and regular 3DS XL... not together, but separate comparisons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7md0WNBFFuY

I'll also be posting another video tonight hopefully, showing the C stick used in Resident Evil: Revelations and Super Smash Bros, as well as some impressions on the improved 3D.

Courtesy of johntv

bzffheiciaakipl.jpg-sjd9i.jpeg

Heh the old 3DS screen looks larger to me, I know it's smaller though.

Rich!

so uh, any impressions of the XL/LL anywhere?

I can't find anything at all, anywhere. Everyone is focusing on the standard model. Can't even find any decent photos of it unboxed!

so uh, any impressions of the XL/LL anywhere?

I can't find anything at all, anywhere. Everyone is focusing on the standard model. Can't even find any decent photos of it unboxed!

Yeah, as an XL user I don't see myself going back to smallvile. So if anyone has any video of the New XL model that'd be nice.

RedWolf

Neo Member
I just want some impressions of people playing Dragon Quest MMO on this thing. Still salty that isn't coming over here.

My video shows a comparison with the regular 3DS and regular 3DS XL... not together, but separate comparisons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7md0WNBFFuY

I'll also be posting another video tonight hopefully, showing the C stick used in Resident Evil: Revelations and Super Smash Bros, as well as some impressions on the improved 3D.

Odd request, but if you have a copy of MGS3d please let me know if that c stick feels good in that game. Excited for the re impressions.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Has the regular New 3DS fixed the self screen scratching issue for good? Is the audio with headphones any different than the old reg 3DS?

Arren

Has anyone already verified whether the new 3DS provides any particular benefit (speed, stabler framerate, etc.) in older and notoriously inconstant games?

Specifically, does Pokémon X / Y exhibit any enhancement in regards to its framerate in 3D battles? That would be nice to know.

Rich!

Has anyone already verified whether the new 3DS provides any particular benefit (speed, stabler framerate, etc.) in older and notoriously inconstant games?

Specifically, does Pokémon X / Y exhibit any enhancement in regards to its framerate in 3D battles? That would be nice to know.

No.

Games wont utilize the extra power unless they are developed for it. I guess maybe a patch could implement support, but I wouldn't bet on that at all as the core code assumes the New 3DS simply does not exist.

It's the same as with the N64 Expansion Pak. Sure, it offered benefits to games developed for it - but did it increase the framerate in Goldeneye? No.

emb

I'm sure it's been answered here, but I didn't see it mentioned. Does the New 3DS still have the ghosting issue (or whatever it's called)? By that I mean, do bright objects on dark backgrounds still show a double image sometimes?

That drove me crazy more than the sweetspot most of the time.

Dizzy

Banned
For anyone whos played Monster Hunter on the New 3DS and old...

Which controls the best? Old + Circle pad pro, or new 3Ds with c-stick?

I think the second slidepad on the CPP looks better than the nub on the new 3ds, but then its kind of off to the side whereas the new 3ds has it closer to the buttons. Jist wondering which is the most comfortable.

Snaku

Banned
Can we assume that the Japanese cover plates will work on the American New 3DS? I really want that wood plate, and knowing NoA they wont bring it over.

Rich!

Can we assume that the Japanese cover plates will work on the American New 3DS? I really want that wood plate, and knowing NoA they wont bring it over.

I see absolutely no reason why they wont. They're the same on the PAL unit as on the JP one, so why would the USA one be any different?

unless reggie just wants to be a dick or something

So I picked up my Monster Hunter 4G Limited Edition *New* Nintendo 3DS LL this morning from FedEx. Also ordered a charging cradle, 32GB microSD and got a free LL/XL carrying case from PlayAsia (for ordering a system).

Haven't fired up the system just yet, so no impressions just yet. Have it charging before I do a system transfer in a little while from my old LL

082.jpg

085.jpg

087.jpg

Pretty packaging is always nice:
093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

097.jpg

The MH4G n3DSLL:
098.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

Stylus/Insides:
109.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

Comparison next to original 3DS LL:
106.jpg

108.jpg

105.jpg

Charging Cradle:
088.jpg

113.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

So does the new stylus placement make sense ergonomically? The 3DS XL
s stylus placement, being horizontal on the right side, is perfect for me and with the New 3DS it seems like it'd take more effort to take it out.

jblank83

I really want one. If it wasn't region locked I'd import it, even at extra cost. Guess I have no option but to wait til 2015.

118.jpg

I like this new vertical cradle style.

Nice pictures Shika. Can you compare MH4G loading times on the old and new LLs?

I shall look into that soon. Haven't even fired up the new LL yet to do the transfer (almost scared to touch it since it's so beautiful >.< ) but will be doing that in a little while after I finish room cleaning and fixing dinner

kubus

Awesome pics!

The MH4G 3DSLL looks so nice. Almost went with that one, but opted for the normal one in the end.

(also still no Nippon-Yasan shipment confirmation... v_v)

So does the new stylus placement make sense ergonomically? The 3DS XL
s stylus placement, being horizontal on the right side, is perfect for me and with the New 3DS it seems like it'd take more effort to take it out.

I can say I will need time to adjust to the new placement of the stylus. I like that it it very nicely secured in place so no falling out if you hold the system upright during gaming. I had heard complaints about the standard size n3DS having a pretty thin stylus but this seems just slightly thicker than the original XL/LL stylus

Clefargle

So I picked up my Monster Hunter 4G Limited Edition *New* Nintendo 3DS LL this morning from FedEx. Also ordered a charging cradle, 32GB microSD and got a free LL/XL carrying case from PlayAsia (for ordering a system).

Haven't fired up the system just yet, so no impressions just yet. Have it charging before I do a system transfer in a little while from my old LL

Stylus/Insides:
109.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

Comparison next to original 3DS LL:
106.jpg

108.jpg

105.jpg

Nice pics and cool nail polish! I swear that the new LL screen seems a tad bigger than the OG LL. Can you confirm of deny?

Nice pics and cool nail polish! I swear that the new LL screen seems a tad bigger than the OG LL. Can you confirm of deny?

The screens are the same size (my OG LL has a slightly loose hinge so they didn't sit perfectly even)

On another note, I can say I do NOT like unscrewing and removing the back panel. I was so scared I would possibly break it given it is pretty thin where it curves to hug the front of the system where the card slot, stylus and headphone jack are. The groove just above the headphone jack was what caused this alarm as it took a bit of fidgeting to get the tab in that spot loose before I could pull the back off finally. Needless to say, that 32gb card better last, because I have no desire to do that again.... Putting it back on was far less stressful on me though

kubus

Just opened a ticket at Nippon-Yasan. Getting fed up with waiting now :/.

Just curious, but is there still anyone left here that hasn't gotten their shipment notification by now? I feel like I'm the only one left now that hasn't gotten a shipment confirmation yet, which tells me that the issue really lies with the fact that I chose EMS instead of FedEx.

My EMS'd MH4G nLL from amiami shipped out late on Saturday in Japan and just arrived a couple of hours ago. I was expecting it tomorrow, going by the updates on Japan Post's website. Unfortunately, I have to wait on my Barikata cover. I split it from the order so that amiami could ship the nLL out before they closed for two days...and get hit by that shitstorm for a potential delay.

kubus

&#35013;&#30002;&#24746;&#39740;&#26449;&#27491;;134329847 said:
I chose EMS too (because FedEx always means customs) and my package is on its way to me since yesterday.

You're just unlucky.
Haha not sure if I should be relieved because the delay is not related to EMS shipping, or if I should be even more worried because somehow I got unlucky and they ignored my order XD.

Either way I'm happy yours is underway! Yeah I also chose EMS hoping I could evade customs. Let's hope we can escape their greedy clutches! :p

Snaku

Banned
I see absolutely no reason why they wont. They're the same on the PAL unit as on the JP one, so why would the USA one be any different?

unless reggie just wants to be a dick or something

Cool, just placed my order with YesAsia for $22.98 total with a $3 off coupon. Come to me sexy wood cover plate.

I'm really leaning towards just importing a Japanese New 3DS. It's not that I can't wait for the US version, but after browsing the Japanese exclusive library a bit, I have to say I'm quite jealous. Kamen Rider Travelers Senki, Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 1+2, One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest VII, EX Troopers, Gyakuten Saiban 123, Time Travelers, Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode. I feel like I'm missing out on so much, but I also don't want to struggle with a language barrier.

Dagon

I have a couple questions related to Nintendo Network IDs.

1. I assume I need a new one dedicated to my new system, right?
2. Can I use the same e-mail address as my UK NNID or will I need to use another address? I assume I'll need another one but I don't want to if I don't need to.

Rich!

I have a couple questions related to Nintendo Network IDs.

1. I assume I need a new one dedicated to my new system, right?
2. Can I use the same e-mail address as my UK NNID or will I need to use another address? I assume I'll need another one but I don't want to if I don't need to.

1. if its JP region, definitely. if it's an australian PAL unit, transfer your old one across.
2. no. you'll need a new email address, unless it's a PAL unit and you transfer your NNID over.

A lot of pages in this thread, looking to get the general consensus on a couple things.

1. Anybody looking to go from XL to regular New 3DS? That's what I've been thinking, (I miss having pocketable handhelds) but I'm a little nervous about playing Smash on a smaller system. It's more than fine right?

2. Still no way to transfer system info without actually having both systems, right? I was hoping maybe this time around I could trade in my old system for credit towards the new one. (When it comes to NA Gamestops of course)

3. It looks like DL speeds are upped, will the new system make online multiplayer better? Like should 2 people playing smash online with 2 new 3ds consoles maybe have a better connection than if they were using older models?

Bonus question: do people think a solid amount of games will be made exclusively for new 3ds? Or does Xenoblade seem like a rarity?

Rich!

Bonus question: do people think a solid amount of games will be made exclusively for new 3ds? Or does Xenoblade seem like a rarity?

People have disagreed with me on this here before, but I fully believe this will be a Game Boy Color situation, and not a DSi situation. IMO, Xenoblade will be the first of many - the DSi never had anything even in the same ballpark.

I posted this in another thread, but I feel it's worth sharing here too - this is how I feel the N3DS compares to the GBC, and clearly what will be happening:

From left to right equivalents -

1. Original 3DS game, works on both, no actual benefits on new console as it wasn't designed to take it into account, however just like how OG GB games displayed in limited colour on the GBC, standard 3DS games have the benefit of better 3D on a New 3DS. That's a selling point.

2. The NEW 3DS ENHANCED game, which plays on both units but has better performance and extra features on the New 3DS - Majora's Mask 3D and the next Pokemon would be great examples, with perks such as 60fps on the New 3DS and extra camera control. In terms of the GBC, Wario Land 2 contained two versions of the game - one for the GBC and one for the GB, and it switched depending on what console you were on (on a GBC it is full colour and has no slowdown).

3. Finally on the right we have the New 3DS ONLY games, such as Xenoblade which would not ever be possible on the original hardware. Wario Land 3 is a fucking gigantic game with graphical effects that would have been impossible on the original GB.

I still think it's a toss up over whether Majora's Mask will be option 2 or 3. I have a feeling it may be 3, which is why we haven't seen it yet....Grezzo/Nintendo were restrained heavily on OOT 3D due to its classic status (Miyamoto demanded they make the music sound exactly the same as on the N64, for example). Majora's Mask doesn't share that "untouchable" quality, so I feel like they're going to go all out and have it as a NEW 3DS showpiece.

A lot of pages in this thread, looking to get the general consensus on a couple things.

1. Anybody looking to go from XL to regular New 3DS? That's what I've been thinking, (I miss having pocketable handhelds) but I'm a little nervous about playing Smash on a smaller system. It's more than fine right?

2. Still no way to transfer system info without actually having both systems, right? I was hoping maybe this time around I could trade in my old system for credit towards the new one. (When it comes to NA Gamestops of course)

3. It looks like DL speeds are upped, will the new system make online multiplayer better? Like should 2 people playing smash online with 2 new 3ds consoles maybe have a better connection than if they were using older models?

1. I imported an LL n3DS but might invest in both sizes when they come stateside

2. Having worked at GS, ask if they have a wifi connection. This November,mI plan to trade my NA LoZ XL for the Persona Q model and was informed I could, in fact, use the grocery store's wifi from next door (we also have our own but very seldom can we use it for our personal needs) to donthe transfer in store

3. Given the upped CPU/RAM, it might work better or it might not. I think the issue would really depend on all players' internet itself versus the internal components of the system

Bonus: maybe not so many exclusives as Xenoblades as "enhanced" games that will take further advantage of the system, as Smash and Monster Hunter and the upcoming Final Fantasy Explorers will do

I definitely agree that there will be many future games that will only be for the New 3DS, at least from Nintendo. With Third Parties, I can see them releasing games that'll run on all 3DS hardware, but with extra benefits (framerate?) for N3DS hardware.

And count me among those who'd like to go from an XL to a standard N3DS. Really can't wait to receive my import unit next week. Come on, NCSX...

DarkWish

Odd request, but if you have a copy of MGS3d please let me know if that c stick feels good in that game. Excited for the re impressions.
Unfortunately I do not have that game, sorry.

I'll have my video up later tonight with gameplay of the C-Stick used in Resident Evil: Revelations and Super Smash Bros, some impressions on the improved 3D, and more.

Top Bottom