• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Josh5890

I was sold on purchasing the new 3DS XL next year but you guys are convincing me to get the smaller new 3DS. I'm going to have to try it out at a kiosk or somewhere. I like a decent size screen and the og 3DS had a small screen. I like my current 3DS XL.

Meffer

Was browsing the eshop and I'm amazed. This is what our eshop should be. Anyway, I came across LBX (Little Battlers) the action one not the SRPG and it's astounding! Why do we NOT HAVE THIS GAME????? I hope to god we get this when the show gets rolling over here.

Might be your bank, check with them to see if they turned down any actions with your card.

I might check tomorrow either before work or during my lunch break. I wanted to see if they just completely locked down my card like when I attempted to pre-order the n3DS a couple weeks ago. It did let me buy a 2 dollar game on my US 3DSXL though.

Meffer

I might check tomorrow either before work or during my lunch break. I wanted to see if they just completely locked down my card like when I attempted to pre-order the n3DS a couple weeks ago. It did let me buy a 2 dollar game on my US 3DSXL though.

I use my debit card to buy from eshop on my US 3DS all the time. That's weird.

I use my debit card to buy from eshop on my US 3DS all the time. That's weird.

Well in fairness, the US one is my default, but I was expecting them to lock down my card completely so I couldn't use it period until I said otherwise.

But right now, it isn't usable on the eshop, considering it gave me the error code going "Nope, can't use this card".

Meffer

I just realized that the N3DS doesn't have a wifi switch. You have to go to the settings on the top left to turn it on and off just like the 2DS.

Tenck

Did we ever get confirmation one way or the other about the screen smudges/scratches still bring a problem on the new 3ds?

I've been opening and closing mine all day today for quick matches on Sm4sh. Just looked at it and I'm not seeing a single thing. Even holing it up near a light to double check.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized that the N3DS doesn't have a wifi switch. You have to go to the settings on the top left to turn it on and off just like the 2DS.
It's certainly annoying but at least switching to the home screen to perform the action is overall faster now.

Meffer

Well after messing with this for a bit, I really like it! And the screen size is great so when we get this over here I'll get the regular one.

Did you put a password for card on eshop?

Yeah I put one on, and it knows it's correct since it takes me to the "Do you want to put x amount onto the account" screen.

Brian★;134557541 said:
Mastercard sometimes goes weird with Japanese eShop Transactions. Try using a Visa card if you can.

Not really sure where I can get one of those honestly.

Yokai

Any tips for a new player playing dedede? I feel alright with him until fast characters just beat out every move of mine.

To DarkWish, peoplesbureau, malenstein or any of the other active importers on the thread: it would be kind of interesting to do the folowing experiment. i wonder how much difference the head tracking does for 3D, so how much the effectiveness of the effect is diminished when turning the tracking off?

It also would be interesting to comapare the effect when face tracking is off with the original 3DS, to see if there has been any improvement to the paralx barrier.

Hearing impressions about this would be very educational XD

I'll try it out later with N3DS and an XL - will let you know how it goes!

Spike

So, just in terms of screen size, can we get some impressions for those that are going from XL to N3DS?

How does Smash look on the smaller screen? Does it become hard to see your fighter if you are in a 4-player smash and the camera zooms or, is it still functional?

If I find that the XL is a little heavy and tires my hands, does this alleviate that? How about if I got cramps from using the original 3DS, will I experience the same with the N3DS?

Just need to get more impressions from people going from XL to regular size N3DS.

mrback

So, just in terms of screen size, can we get some impressions for those that are going from XL to N3DS?

How does Smash look on the smaller screen? Does it become hard to see your fighter if you are in a 4-player smash and the camera zooms or, is it still functional?

If I find that the XL is a little heavy and tires my hands, does this alleviate that? How about if I got cramps from using the original 3DS, will I experience the same with the N3DS?

Just need to get more impressions from people going from XL to regular size N3DS.

Here's what I did which sounds a bit mad but bare with me, I had an XL a while back which I ended up selling when a bit skint so when I heard about this new3ds coming out I bought myself a cheap 2ds to play with for a month or so to get used to a smaller screen. Now I've got the new3ds standard I've jumped up a little to a bigger screen. worked for me anyways. felt less jarring.

Spike

Here's what I did which sounds a bit mad but bare with me, I had an XL a while back which I ended up selling when a bit skint so when I heard about this new3ds coming out I bought myself a cheap 2ds to play with for a month or so to get used to a smaller screen. Now I've got the new3ds standard I've jumped up a little to a bigger screen. worked for me anyways. felt less jarring.

Trying to do that with the original 3DS, but the pain I get in my hands just pushes me back to the XL. I cannot afford a 2DS.

It's definitely lighter than the XL, and certainly easier to wrap fingers around the back while held in a suitable position in your hands. Obviously you now have the ZL and ZR buttons to reach, but I haven't encountered any discomfort so far... well, from light use - haven't tried any long sessions yet.

Spike

It's definitely lighter than the XL, and certainly easier to wrap fingers around the back while held in a suitable position in your hands. Obviously you now have the ZL and ZR buttons to reach, but I haven't encountered any discomfort so far... well, from light use - haven't tried any long sessions yet.

Please give your updated impressions when you do some long session gaming in the future. I look forward to reading them. :)

Impotaku

Wave 3 of the faceplates have been released for preorder, lol oh Nintendo please slow down i can barely keep up. Just kidding keep them coming, upto 17 faceplates now ordered/preordered i think i might have a problem :lol:

Just ordered these ones.
71y3ByJHtBL._AA1275_.jpg

71o1Gp7eJ0L._AA1275_.jpg

71rHSpJ2qrL._AA1275_.jpg

71RkR-Ie8iL._AA1275_.jpg

71pb68fhyDL._AA1275_.jpg

71RHTrE-imL._AA1275_.jpg

japtor

Looking forward to that after accidentally turning off the wifi while carrying mine around and missing out on street passes a few times last week (...not that I'd likely get a bunch or anything, but it was the only reason I was carrying it around those particular days). Actually, any chance of the power button causing an issue, like can you turn the system off when closed?

And anyone have impressions of the Sega 3D Classics games on them?

mrback

Looking forward to that after accidentally turning off the wifi while carrying mine around and missing out on street passes a few times last week (...not that I'd likely get a bunch or anything, but it was the only reason I was carrying it around those particular days). Actually, any chance of the power button causing an issue, like can you turn the system off when closed?

And anyone have impressions of the Sega 3D Classics games on them?

Hi, I got Outrun which is great. Got Galaxy Force 2 last night and had a quick blast but felt a bit of buyer remorse on that one. Need to play a bit more I think. Outrun is ace though.

Weils

Neo Member
Yeaa! My 3ds LL has been delivered 5 hours ago! Now on my way back home, can't wait to open my package. Have to set up a nnid and CN account first though.

japtor

Hi, I got Outrun which is great. Got Galaxy Force 2 last night and had a quick blast but felt a bit of buyer remorse on that one. Need to play a bit more I think. Outrun is ace though.
Heh, remorse over the game itself or is the 3D effect poor in Galaxy Force? I mostly have nostalgia with that one so I'm fine game wise, but the 3D effect is a bitch to hold solid when playing.

I'm guessing this breaks the 3D effect but just for confirmation, how does the screen handle tilting like a steering wheel? Mainly curious for 3D Super Hang On's tilt control mode, I prefer it for steering but makes 3D unusable obviously.

(and still no date for Outrun in the US unfortunately)

kubus

Has anyone put together a translation guide for the setup process yet? Sounds like I should be getting my n3DS tomorrow. :D
There's one in the OP for setting up the system and for making a Club Nintendo account, but Nintendo doesn't give out CN codes with hardware anymore in Japan, so unless you also imported a Japanese game you won't be able to set up an account :(.

We still don't have a NNID setup guide though. Maybe I'll set up a throwaway NNID when I get my N3DS before I do a system transfer, so I can make the guide.

Speaking of which...

My 3DS finally shipped! It was collected today at the post office in Japan (so N-Y lied to me saying they'd ship it yesterday). I chose EMS Express so hopefully it won't take too long. Maybe Tuesday next week.

mrback

Heh, remorse over the game itself or is the 3D effect poor in Galaxy Force? I mostly have nostalgia with that one so I'm fine game wise, but the 3D effect is a bitch to hold solid when playing.

I'm guessing this breaks the 3D effect but just for confirmation, how does the screen handle tilting like a steering wheel? Mainly curious for 3D Super Hang On's tilt control mode, I prefer it for steering but makes 3D unusable obviously.

(and still no date for Outrun in the US unfortunately)

No dont get me wrong the 3d effect is excellent & doesnt break, just the gameplay is a bit generic really. Havent tried with gyro controls. I only had a quick blast last night.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"Speakers are noticeably louder."

All I needed to hear. DAY ONE.

kubus

Updated the OP with new relevant info, not sure if people still look at it, but ah well. Any promising new releases on the horizon in Japanland? I can't think of any.

Btw I've got a question for those who already got their New 3DS:

Did you have to pay customs duties or whatever? I haven't seen anyone talk about that yet. And what value did Nippon-Yasan write on your package?

Top Bottom