• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
First impressions playing a few minutes of Monster Hunter 4 (no 4G yet) and the Smash Bros. demo are very positive. The system menus overall are much more response and don't make you wait.

I'm most surprised at how effective the stereoscopic 3D effect stability feature is. I hated 3D previously because it always turned into a blurry mess for me. Off almost 100% of the time up until now. This eye tracking stuff actually works, though. I can finally play games in 3D without immense frustration. This is really where the tech needed to be at the beginning.

The right nub works very well for controlling the camera in Monster Hunter 4. Surprisingly well, in fact.

anyone use amazon.jp download codes outside of japan?

Going to try buying something from them now with a US card.

apricot

anyone use amazon.jp download codes outside of japan?

Yup. You need to enter a Japanese address but foreign credit cards are ok. They'll just email you the code

Edit: It's worth mentioning that at least in my case, even if I have the site in English, when I check out to buy a code it's all in Japanese. It will give you an error and not let you make the purchase if you have a non-Japanese address selected

Halabane

Yup. You need to enter a Japanese address but foreign credit cards are ok. They'll just email you the code

Edit: It's worth mentioning that at least in my case, even if I have the site in English, when I check out to buy a code it's all in Japanese. It will give you an error and not let you make the purchase if you have a non-Japanese address selected

I will just use the one with the Tenso shipping address. I think I will do a small virtual game buy first and see how it goes...

txs

lolitsgriff

Neo Member
I got JP Post/EMS shipping and my 3DS has been in customs since two nights ago.

Not sure if I should worry yet or not. Will be extremely frustrated if it gets sent back for whatever? reason. Picked EMS specifically because I heard customs was easier.

Impotaku

Not sure if I should worry yet or not. Will be extremely frustrated if it gets sent back for whatever? reason. Picked EMS specifically because I heard customs was easier.

That's normal, it can stay in customs for over a week if your unlucky, had that happen a few times in the past.

So I just received my n3DS :D I want to go all digital but can't seem to register an account because I didn't buy any physical games, is there any way to register one so I can buy them digitally? :(

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
while looking around in the system menu I notice there are automatic and manual configuration options for the 3D head tracking, but not knowing the language I can't be 100% sure of the effect these settings have.

it would be great help if anyone here would be able to clarify.
On/Off turns the head tracking on/off
3Dブレ防止機能の補正 button is for reconfiguring it only if something is wrong. From there the top option (手動で設定) lets you manually set it, bottom (初期状態にもどす) just resets it to factory settings.

Not sure what you mean by easier, unless you mean compared to air mail. EMS packages generally stay in customs for at least a couple of days. If you'd like to bypass that (the wait, not the fee) choose a courier like FedEx. If you live in the US though there's no customs fees and Fedex will just get you your package within 2-3 days.

deim0s

Quick question with the New LLs: how is the volume compared to the old one and does it still have a flimsy volume slider?

Now that the system is available, are there any teardowns or spec analyses detailing how much of an increase in power it is over 3DS?
According to 3DSBrew, the New 3DS has double core and RAM compared to the old one.

New 3DS Specifications:

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|         Type         |                       Description                       |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| ARM11 Processor Core |      ARM11 MPCore 4x 268MHz(?) & 4x VFP Co-Processor    |
|         FCRAM        |                           256MB                         |
|         VRAM         |  6 MB within SoC. Independent of system memory (FCRAM). |
|                      |                 4MB of additional memory.               |
|          NFC         |                                                         |
|          MVD         |                                                         |
|        New HID       |                                                         |

Halabane

Wait a minute... so we need to register a JP CN account in order to make purchases from the JP eShop?!

No. I think the OP just wanted to make sure he got his points on Club Nintendo. The trick now is that since you don't get points for buying hardware you have to buy a game with a code to even create an account. But you can use the eShop without a CN account.

Owari

Did anyone here end up buying a Black New 3DS?

I snagged one. I'm loving it. Never cared fer white borders around the screen on portables or smartphones.

WZ5Ir8a.jpg

CXxh9wm.jpg

Wvyf13j.jpg

rfykHmI.jpg

wfy6rCF.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Actually not related but kinda related.

How do you do a system transfer if you plan to trade in your 3ds xl towards the new 3ds?

Meffer

Actually not related but kinda related.

How do you do a system transfer if you plan to trade in your 3ds xl towards the new 3ds?

I'm using a microsd on my US XL now so when I transfer the rights of my stuff to the n3ds when it hits the States, I can just plop the microsd in the new one.

Antiwhippy

Huh, is the system transfer just putting in the microsd card?

The way I'm hoping to do it means that I won't have the 3ds xl with me when I want to do the system transfer.

Sigh.

So I can get points cards at the very least. So it's not locked down. But it sure feels like a black list effect is going on.

This really is some sort of hassle.

Antiwhippy

Argh, should have known that anything to do with account stuff Nintendo will make it a mission to make it as much of a pain in the ass as possible.

I'll check around with a few stores.

Halabane

Sigh.

So I can get points cards at the very least. So it's not locked down. But it sure feels like a black list effect is going on.

This really is some sort of hassle.

Srry what is the problem? I just put a master card on the eshop with no problem and made several buys. What is it telling you?

Halabane

Argh, should have known that anything to do with account stuff Nintendo will make it a mission to make it as much of a pain in the ass as possible.

I'll check around with a few stores.

I think its their plan. That way we all end up with drawers of special edition 3ds that we can't trade in. :)

But I think if you work out with them that you are going to trade it in and arrange for a price. Then go home do the transfer and go back and sell your system to them. Not really much different than trading in...except for maybe an extra trip (which can be a PIA)

Srry what is the problem? I just put a master card on the eshop with no problem and made several buys. What is it telling you?

It's giving me the error code for this card can't be used. Which earlier today, was more like my card was on lock down. The lock was removed during my work hours, and I can use it everywhere else, but JP eshop won't let me. Interestingly enough though, it let me put in money for the halloween zelda theme, but but that ended up being a false positive.

It's weird because I actually bought a couple of things before all of this started

Halabane

It's giving me the error code for this card can't be used. Which earlier today, was more like my card was on lock down. The lock was removed during my work hours, and I can use it everywhere else, but JP eshop won't let me. Interestingly enough though, it let me put in money for the halloween zelda theme, but but that ended up being a false positive.

It's weird because I actually bought a couple of things before all of this started

I would check the credit card company. I know I had an issue one time because I was suddenly buying things in HK that I hadn't done before. They did lock the card down till I talked to them. But after that everything was cool.

Halloween zelda theme? I haven't seen that .... yet...off to the eshop...

I would check the credit card company. I know I had an issue one time because I was suddenly buying things in HK that I hadn't done before. They did lock the card down till I talked to them. But after that everything was cool.

Halloween zelda theme? I haven't seen that .... yet...off to the eshop...

Well the Fraud Protection did call me to lift the lock, and the bank was of no help because they were clueless. I just don't know why it's so specific on who will get my money. Because this actually happened around the time I was preordering the n3DS, and one of the payment options became locked even after I got everything situated. It just makes no sense for me to keep dealing with this, especially when I told the "Fraud Protection" place that I was going to try purchasing from here again.

Halabane

Sound like you are doing all you can on the banking side. It will get cleared up.

Txs for the theme info! If they are going to do this for holidays and keep creating new covers...I may wish my credit card company stopped me from charging!

bart64

Banned
There is an upside to the way they do it in that all your system settings and game data gets transferred over without having to upload system stuff to another service like iTunes and then re-downloading all the games one by one.

mrback

Did anyone here end up buying a Black New 3DS?

I bought a black & white as just couldnt decide looking at pics, now I have both here I am keeping the white one. both look nice but the black still picks up grubby marks even though its matte. each to his own though. I'm selling the black one now. I'm in the UK.

StayDead

Top Bottom