• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

outsideroom302

Neo Member
Ah man, I Just got my black-LL new 3ds from Play-Asia and I'm totally blown away after coming from first generation DS Phat. Screen sizes, proper control stick, better grip, dat 3d, ah mannnn it's so good. The DSTwo flashcart runs just fine after updating the firmware and now I just need to scour YouTube for some e-shop and general tutorials.

I'm pretty tempted to grab Fantasy Life for my first game but I'm a bit confused as to what to buy since there was some talk about a big DLC update with online and such a while back. If I buy a cartridge would it be lacking these things or do I need to buy it through the e-store?

Impotaku

Ah man, I Just got my black-LL new 3ds from Play-Asia and I'm totally blown away after coming from first generation DS Phat. Screen sizes, proper control stick, better grip, dat 3d, ah mannnn it's so good. The DSTwo flashcart runs just fine after updating the firmware and now I just need to scour YouTube for some e-shop and general tutorials.

I'm pretty tempted to grab Fantasy Life for my first game but I'm a bit confused as to what to buy since there was some talk about a big DLC update with online and such a while back. If I buy a cartridge would it be lacking these things or do I need to buy it through the e-store?

I you buy fantasy life link then all the origin island DLC is already built into the cartridge no extra purchase necessairy. The only additional DLC after that is for items that help make the game easier, all that DLC is buyable through the menu on the title screen. Not needed in the game though unless you really want it, the devil mirror is especially useful though as it allows you to reset all your stat points and put them into different stats which when swapping lives makes it extremely useful.

Yasawas

Dispatch email from Nippon Yasan finally, now to endlessly refresh that FedEx link for the next few days.

UK types - who's good for smaller game orders of two or three items these days? Not just site but method of delivery. By good I of course mean least likely to incur any VAT charges to a government who will only squander it anyway.

Rich!

UK types - who's good for smaller game orders of two or three items these days? Not just site but method of delivery. By good I of course mean least likely to incur any VAT charges to a government who will only squander it anyway.

it's complete and utter pot luck

I got charged something like £6 customs and £8 handling fee for a couple of super famicom games I bought from ebay. They weren't from an official business or anything, just private mail!

Yasawas

I've been on a good run with eBayed Super Famigames incidentally! Hit-Japan and Yamatoku haven't failed me once even on orders of three or four boxed titles. I suppose I'm due a few against, just wondered if anyone had a more reliable source than another.

With smaller orders is the flat £8 handling fee that really boils the piss and rips you off, the actual VAT I can live with.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
This plus the 500 yen and more discount at amazon...

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/campaign/smapoke/index.html

not a bad pokemon deal
The yen also dropped sharply recently so even the exchange rate is working in your favor if you are outside of the country. For me to purchase the digital version of ORAS on Amazon JP with the demo discount costs a total of $34 including tax. If I were to buy it off the US eshop it'd be $43 after tax. Wouldn't have dreamed of this 3 years ago.

jaosobno

I have a question for all of you that imported New 3DS; would someone with larger hands be comfortable holding the regular version, or should I go with N3DSLL?

I kinda prefer regular version because of pretty buttons and changeable plates, but I guess ergonomics take precedence over looks. And of course the larger screen is also great.

It's... beautiful.

mgbONMM.jpg

YnKdaAp.jpg

X5Ocqfb.jpg

Got some problem while transferring data from my ambassador 3ds, but no data missing at the end. Just need to re-download four swords. :)

Weils

Neo Member
It's... beautiful.

Got some problem while transferring data from my ambassador 3ds, but no data missing at the end. Just need to re-download four swords. :)

That New LL looks great. Is the surface of the front and back covers in gloss or matte?

Impotaku

Finally got my relay upgraded to it's final version it now has it's own touch screen & buttons allowing me to power it down without just yanking the power cord out. Took ages to get the video kernel configured over the spillpass pi disk image but all up and running again.

Last thing i need now is a nice animation each time a streetpass cycle comes up, will sort that out another time.
spillpass%203.jpg

Yasawas

I just found a 16GB micro SD card, I must've bought it ages ago for an old phone or something. Woo. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just pop this into the console immediately before I boot it up for the first time, does it have anything stored by default to the SD card that I'll need to transfer over before I do this?

After what Iwata said about it at the shareholders meeting i doubt it will get released that early in the west, apparently the 3DS hasn't sold enough over here to justify releasing the newer version.
i don't share this sentimment, think that Spring is a far as they'll go in delaying the N3DS for America. Until Majora's Mask pseudo release date was unveiled i thought that March commemorating the orginal's launch was the ceiling.

Majora will probably be the companion game for the console in the Spring. The reason why i can't picture a release beyond the spring season is because i can't believe Nintendo wouldn't want to give the N3DS at least a year in America withouth the announcement of the succesor, it doesn't make much busyness sense. This is of course assuming Nintendo doesn't opt to release the succesor in 2017, which is higly doubtful.
Can't agree with this. Nintendo plans to clear out stock this Christmas in Europe and USA. After that, there is no point in delaying the device. I'm thinking they'll release it mid February at the latest.
February would be perfect. The problem is that Majora's Mask pending spring release. Don't know if Nintendo could resist having a Zelda title releasing with new hardware. Don't think there's any other as important 3DS title releasing in february or march even.

jaosobno

After what Iwata said about it at the shareholders meeting i doubt it will get released that early in the west, apparently the 3DS hasn't sold enough over here to justify releasing the newer version.

Can't agree with this. Nintendo plans to clear out stock this Christmas in Europe and USA. After that, there is no point in delaying the device. I'm thinking they'll release it mid February at the latest.

I'm looking to buy 3ds, but there is no way I'm getting the old model now. It would be a waste of money since N3DS will probably replace both present regular and XL models. 2DS is probably here to stay for the budget concious buyer.

Just got the New Smash LL. I'm loving the bigger screen, but I hate how the micro-SD is under the cover. I'm still in the process of moving everything over. Praying that everything moves over okay.

Halabane

i don't share this sentimment, think that Spring is a far as they'll go in delaying the N3DS for America. Until Majora's Mask pseudo release date was unveiled i thought that March commemorating the orginal's launch was the ceiling.

Majora will probably be the companion game for the console in the Spring. The reason why i can't picture a release beyond the spring season is because i can't believe Nintendo wouldn't want to give the N3DS at least a year in America withouth the announcement of the succesor, it doesn't make much busyness sense. This is of course assuming Nintendo doesn't opt to release the succesor in 2017, which is higly doubtful.

February would be perfect. The problem is that Majora's Mask pending spring release. Don't know if Nintendo could resist having a Zelda title releasing with new hardware. Don't think there's any other as important 3DS title releasing in february or march even.

This christmas is focused on wii-u and trying to see if they can get that platform going.

You hit the nail on the head with Zelda. Missing to your list is monster hunter and xenoblade chronicle remake on the 3ds. These three games this spring (and others I don't know about) will launch with the console. The console needs a reason for the c-stick (and in the case of xenoblade the processor) to show why you want to upgrade to the n3ds. So if spring is Zelda and MH4 then that's a good guess. I am seeing listings for MH4 as march of 2015.

I expect after the holidays a 'direct to you' that outlines these three titles (maybe more) and the n3ds. Here's to hoping for a nice special edition for zelda.

"Please look forward to this" ;)

This christmas is focused on wii-u and trying to see if they can get that platform going.

You hit the nail on the head with Zelda. Missing to your list is monster hunter and xenoblade chronicle remake on the 3ds. These three games this spring (and others I don't know about) will launch with the console. The console needs a reason for the c-stick (and in the case of xenoblade the processor) to show why you want to upgrade to the n3ds. So if spring is Zelda and MH4 then that's a good guess. I am seeing listings for MH4 as march of 2015.

I expect after the holidays a 'direct to you' that outlines these three titles (maybe more) and the n3ds. Here's to hoping for a nice special edition for zelda.

"Please look forward to this" ;)
The reason i didn't mention Monster Hunter is because the IP is only big in Japan, so is not a real crowd mover for western territories and wouldn't work as flagship system seller title as it did in Japan. Same for Xeno, althought this one is not big in any territory despite it's dedicated fanbase XD

im also expecting a big direct after the hollyday season. Would be nice to have one in January like in 2013 but maybe this one will come a month or so later. After all, they need to keep some good will with the Wii U fan base by throwing some bones about titles beyond the 1st quarter. And of course finally announcing the New 3DS release date. Let's hope the hollydays are kind to the old 3DSes in western territories so things speed up for the new one.

Also i wonder if Nintendo will give the 3DS a Metroid game before it's life is over. Either a new series entry or a port of one of the GC/Wii games.

Halabane

The reason i didn't mention Monster Hunter is because the IP is only big in Japan, so is not a real crowd mover for western territories and wouldn't work as flagship system seller title as it did in Japan. Same for Xeno, althought this one is not big in any territory despite it's dedicated fanbase XD

im also expecting a big direct after the hollyday season. Would be nice to have one in January like in 2013 but maybe this one will come a month or so later. After all, they need to keep some good will with the Wii U fan base by throwing some bones about titles beyond the 1st quarter. And of course finally announcing the New 3DS release date. Let's hope the hollydays are kind to the old 3DSes in western territories so things speed up for the new one.

Also i wonder if Nintendo will give the 3DS a Metroid game before it's life is over. Either a new series entry or a port of one of the GC/Wii games.

Yeah I didn't mean it to sound like you missed just that it was in the release window. I was trying to make a point on a problem with new consoles is having games that take advantage of the system.

MH3g sold over 250k units for the 3ds so its not terrible and some felt it was because of the controls. I bought the attachment and it did make a difference. So that is an example for the c-stick. mh4g is an amazing game.

Xeno I think they are hoping for the project rain or whatever it was called folks to rally around it but who knows again the point is it will need the horsepower and c stick to function. I enjoyed it on the wii so I probably will give it a go.

They really need a reason to make people buy this system, since just better 3ds and downloads is not much of reason to buy it. Most of us here know its a significant upgrade on the 3d...i went from it always off to now always on. But selling that without the ability to demo it easily is a tough sell.

Guessing Majora mask will have a reason for the new 3ds to get people to buy. The amiibo capability for Smash and these three games are the only games right now I know of that will provide a reason for buying the system and doing something more than your existing 3ds. I also imagine its tough to tell your customers...you know that system i sold you? its crap...buy this one. ;)

Metroid. I am thinking that is going to go to the wii-u. Need a stream of games and it sounds like they are looking at using 3rd part folks with nintendo (like hyrule and bayonetta) to keep that pipe moving. A center piece game would be the new zelda and a metroid game. 3ds seems to have a lot more options. Heck looking at the JPN games they could port is huge. But I am guessing.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Hey guys, big dilemma, I'm one click away from ordering a XL from playasia, but also very bummed because it doesn't have coloured buttons nor faceplates. Would you say the larger screen is worth it, compared to these things, all considered?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, big dilemma, I'm one click away from ordering a XL from playasia, but also very bummed because it doesn't have coloured buttons nor faceplates. Would you say the larger screen is worth it, compared to these things, all considered?
I can't say much about the colored buttons being worth it or not as it wasn't a feature I cared about, but I'll say that I "downgraded" from an LL to the regular n3DS model and have gotten used to the screen size just fine. For me the non-glossy surfaces and lighter form factor made me pick the regular model. Completely happy with my choice.

Santiako

I don't think I could ever go back to smaller screens after playing with the XL so long.

kubus

I downgraded from XL to normal New 3DS and I absolutely love the new screen size. For me it's the perfect middle ground between the OG 3DS' "have to squint" screen and the XL's "stretched pixels" screen.

Also it's completely matte which feels very nice and obviously prevents it from becoming a fingerprint magnet.

I personally love the faceplates, the coloured buttons are a nice extra but they don't really stand out too much.

By the way are you thinking about ordering a PAL or JP 3DS? Because if it's the latter, check out the price comparison spreadsheet in the OP. You can save over $100 by not buying from Play-Asia.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Thanks for all the replies, guys, they actually cleared the picture for me. Luckily I'm getting a PAL AUS one and been loving the XL's screen size since I bought one at launch. I think I'll be getting a regular one and just see how it goes, I can always sell it and get a XL if I happen to miss the bigger size...as Santiako said, it's damn hard to go back! Hopefully I'll find that sweet spot, Kubus

I don't think I could ever go back to smaller screens after playing with the XL so long.
That's what I thought. Even the first day after I picked up my regular N3DS, I was still not sure if I did the right choice. Now? Super happy with it. I have actually been at Yodobashi Camera yesterday and tried out the new LL model. For me it feels too big now. Seems like I found the perfect size for me with the regular one.

Zornica

Banned
That's what I thought. Even the first day after I picked up my regular N3DS, I was still not sure if I did the right choice. Now? Super happy with it. I have actually been at Yodobashi Camera yesterday and tried out the new LL model. For me it feels too big now. Seems like I found the perfect size for me with the regular one.

Speaking of... I'd like to get my hands on a regular sized model, but all the yodobashis I've been to only had the LL. Any idea where I could try a normal one?

Impotaku

Anyone with a Japanese 3DS might be interested in the dengeki bazooka kids magazine. Been a kids mag it has stuff on various arcade & card games along with manga and hobby/gaming stuff, what makes it interesting is it also has a special 3DS game for it. The first issue comes with the QR download link code to get it. The game is unique to the magazine it can't be found on the eshop unless you have the code, in each issue they will give you codes to unlock more content as the year goes along, the game is pretty simple but it's full of toilet humour like the stuff from corocoro so im rather liking it.

Managed to find the code to download the game to try out so far it's pretty empty as i don't have the other codes to make the first 2 minigames appear the only one i can do so far is moulding turds with my hands, every so many hours more turds get shot from the volcano on the island, depending on what colours and rarity they are you can mould them into different items using the simple minigame, they will be used later in one of the games i'm sure.

Also from exploring the options it seems the magazine has AR markers in it making some of the characters literally leap off the page. It seem a really unique and cool thing to tie a magazine into the 3DS. Ordered the first & second issue so i can see exactly what is in the magazine it seems like a fun collectable.

Here is the QR code if anyone wants to try (if it doesn't scan try enlarging the image)
gatchman.jpg

81S1Uv9PSdL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00OBSQHRW/

The official website is here
http://dengekibazooka.tv/

I'm interested to see how this goes on with each issue.

Anyone with a Japanese 3DS might be interested in the dengeki bazooka kids magazine. Been a kids mag it has stuff on various arcade & card games along with manga and hobby/gaming stuff, what makes it interesting is it also has a special 3DS game for it. The first issue comes with the QR download link code to get it. The game is unique to the magazine it can't be found on the eshop unless you have the code, in each issue they will give you codes to unlock more content as the year goes along, the game is pretty simple but it's full of toilet humour like the stuff from corocoro so im rather liking it.

Managed to find the code to download the game to try out so far it's pretty empty as i don't have the other codes to make the first 2 minigames appear the only one i can do so far is moulding turds with my hands, every so many hours more turds get shot from the volcano on the island, depending on what colours and rarity they are you can mould them into different items using the simple minigame, they will be used later in one of the games i'm sure.
This seems really neat.

Importaku, do you have any means to upload videos to youtube? The reason i ask is because you seem to have a good collection of import games as well as interesting stuff such as the one in your latest post.

At least im speaking for myself, would like to see these mini games you speak of XD

Impotaku

I love the idea of a magazine giving a free game away with new levels and minigames in each issue, it really is basic stuff at the moment from what i have played but im looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I do have a youtube channel but it's nothing secial a dumping ground for a few vids of odd gaming stuff i have.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_jN130Ehw_1gF4DylEMO-g

If you want to see demos of the first 2 minigames in the OH gatchman game the magazine has an official channel.

This is the first 2 minigames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUD20-ZZ4RY

Zornica

Banned

Also from exploring the options it seems the magazine has AR markers in it making some of the characters literally leap off the page. It seem a really unique and cool thing to tie a magazine into the 3DS. Ordered the first & second issue so i can see exactly what is in the magazine it seems like a fun collectable.

Here is the QR code if anyone wants to try (if it doesn't scan try enlarging the image)
gatchman.jpg

81S1Uv9PSdL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00OBSQHRW/

The official website is here
http://dengekibazooka.tv/

I'm interested to see how this goes on with each issue.

thanks, this might be just what I was looking for. Just ordered the first issue!
may as well order the 2nd one...

any opinions on exstetra? just saw it for cheap on amazon...

Speaking of Japanese magazines, does anyone here know the concrete release date for the upcoming CoroCoro Comic? I want to be ready to import it from Nippon-Yasan since the magazine includes an actual code for the Japanese Eon Ticket for Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

Impotaku

Speaking of Japanese magazines, does anyone here know the concrete release date for the upcoming CoroCoro Comic? I want to be ready to import it from Nippon-Yasan since the magazine includes an actual code for the Japanese Eon Ticket for Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

According to Amazon it's nov 15th

月刊 コロコロコミック 2014年 12月号 [雑誌]雑誌– November 15, 2014

Sadly not available there now as it's sold out, anytime something cool is been given away they instantly sell out had to rely on a marketplace seller when that suikanyan medal was released a few months back. Hopefully you manage to snag a copy.

Sadly not available there now as it's sold out, anytime something cool is been given away they instantly sell out had to rely on a marketplace seller when that suikanyan medal was released a few months back. Hopefully you manage to snag a copy.

I think Nippon Yasan doesn't list any of their magazines for preorder and only puts them up the day of release, hence why I am constantly refreshing every couple hours to check. Last month's issue with the demo code actually sold out just a couple hours after placing my order and I ordered it about 2-3 days after release.

Was this the one you were referring to?

コロコロコミック

If so, it was in stock for order

Did you order it from Amazon Japan? If you are quick you might be able to cancel.

This is corocoro comics official site, handy for working out whats in each issue. Hard to navigate as it has a million interesting things to click on it's proper hyper on there.
http://www.corocoro.tv/index.html?skip=1

I did order through Amazon JP but given I can use the magazines for my Japanese studies, I'll keep them. Also put in for a notification email via Amazon to let me know if/when they get more stock of the magazine

Impotaku

Corocoro is good for that as it's aimed at kids so all the kanji has furigana next to them so if you can read kana you're all set. Love keshikaskun, bonbita & dangerous jiisan are my faves for the manga but they don't seem to have them in that often as they cycle through to newer stuff but they are always fun to read. Lots of game based manga in there.

Top Bottom