• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier has heard it's impossible to find senior leads due to mass dev burnout

Rosur2a

I'm a developer and I love video games but I would absolutely never work in the game industry after the horror stories I've heard. Work/life balance is too important.

yep this, I'll stick to web development where the pay is better as well.

AlexM

I'm a programmer in games and it's not surprising at all. Especially when you consider that changing to a non-game programming job typically pays a lot more and requires less hours at work.

I knew someone who was a lead on the PS2 Spider-Man titles. The work was brutal, but he stayed as long as he could to save up money, then did an early retirement in a place where the money would last.

I was looking at job postings for Naughty Dog on Glassdoor last night, and I started looking at employee reviews of the company. There were many typical complaints about crunch, including stuff like:
"If you don't mind your soul being destroyed by the crunch, it's a great place to work."
"Insane crunch hours, little to no recognition or acknowledgment"
"Absolutely no creative scope planning and scheduling which leads to an irresponsible amount of crunch and waste. There seemed to be very little acknowledgement by studio leadership of this issue."

But one in particular really struck me, in effect saying: "Your spouse has to be okay with you not being around."

What spouse is okay with that? This is not sustainable on a human level. It's no wonder people leave past their early 20's.

I just got a degree involving Software Development, and half the people in the CS/Engineering school were there, at least partially, because of the influence video games had on their life (those involved with Software, specifically). The only people who want to work on video games are the ones who are in the specific major for it, and most of them want to go work at Blizzard or go Indy.

Pretty much everyone who has the skills and likes video games, doesn't want to enter the field. I'm posting on a video game forum, and wouldn't touch video game development with a ten-foot pole. A software developer is one of the best jobs you can get, why would you trade that in to go work on video games? Literally one of the worst jobs in America vs some of the best. It's no contest.

For all I had known, games were created in a magical wonderland and fell from the sky for me to enjoy.

Never read a thread like this on GAF before and the work conditions described here are mindblowingly shit. I work in construction, the office side, where we have pretty harsh due dates etc. and even I can't fathom putting up with shit like an 80+ hour work week for longer than 6 months.

Hats off and my condolences all at the same time.

leeh

As a lead engineer who is on a very large project for an international client which has faced poor planning & project management from the get go, I completely understand this statement.

I've been doing this for over 2 years now and its living hell. A lot of the team and I have been working 19 hour days.

I just want to throw in the towel, its extremely hard. I feel like my mental & physical health are both suffering.

Let's also not forget that game dev isn't the same gold mine that it was during the early days. Back when development teams consisted of generally no more than 20 people, everybody was getting a huge-ass payoff from even the slightest million seller.

I remember reading how following the success of some N64-era Rare game (I think it was GoldenEye?), suddenly most of the employees showed up to work in Porsches and Ferraris almost overnight.

Unless you manage to con your way up No Man's Sky-style, you're not going to see something like this anymore. These days, with productions needing 300+ employees, the salaries are getting less and less interesting year after year, unless you're a lead 3d engine architect programmer or some such.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Those same devs can get a better paying job, with less overtime, and far better job stability outside of the game industry.

I thought about going into game development. I love games, and I was studying to be a programmer, so it made sense to me at the time, but I'm glad I didn't. Regular development might be more boring, but at least I'm stress-free, have decent pay, and have time for my friends, family, and girlfriend.

orborborb

Its perfectly healthy for the industry to churn through a lot of young talent, they can stay or leave based on their own lives and interests and there will always be more to replace them. But it is very much not healthy to be so unfulfilling for the lead developers that they leave the industry without having fully developed their own skills let alone properly train the next generation. It causes quality to stagnate, so other models for creating entertainment that are better organized will improve more quickly and steal their business.

Gamers are rather insatiable though. Look at how delays are seen. And also look at the derision of indies and remasters, which are becoming more important.

Stop announcing shit years in advance and you wouldn’t cultivate such an attitude. Let’s not blame the people buying the games here, for fuck’s sake.

Yet the industry won't change, eventually someone will take that position even if it takes a year or two to fill

I think the argument being made is that senior dev positions get posted all the time, and increasingly it's taking forever to find candidates to fill them. What this implies is that the pool of developers willing and able to take these positions isn't big enough.

Assuming you need these senior positions in order to get stuff done--and chances are, you do--that means one of two things happen. One is that the pool of developers gets bigger. People in senior positions are much more likely to have families and want better life-work balances; the industry could directly address those things to keep people in the industry. The other option is the industry decides it actually doesn't need those senior dev positions after all, and keeps going with younger workers with less experience and fewer career demands. Presumably there is a drop in quality associated with doing so, but it's nebulous and hazy enough that I can absolutely see some developers trying to do this.

I work in VFX and people are getting wise to becoming "a lead".

The incentives for leads usually suck when you consider the extra responsibilities you take on. All of the poor planning on a project hits them hardest and many feel it's just not worth it.

Don't even get me started on what happens when a show wraps and we don't have an immediate lead position ready to be filed by them.

Generally, the various entertainment industries seem to have a less than appealing reputation for employment these days.

but gaf told me most devs are lazy except when it comes to implementing microtransactions and screwing over our consumer rights so how can this possibly be true

Ahasverus

The industry Need to be regulated asap, both micro transaction wise and also the work conditions. It's the wild west out there.

R0ckman

but gaf told me most devs are lazy except when it comes to implementing microtransactions and screwing over our consumer rights so how can this possibly be true

I thought devs had no control over microtransactions and that there is some other department that decides monetization on game functions?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought devs had no control over microtransactions and that there is some other department that decides monetization on game functions?
Varies significantly per publisher.

Often developers are incentivized, but not required to include microtransactions, and then they decide how to do it.

They usually have embedded monetization designers as well.

Some publishers will centralize, but it tends to work less well.

Bladelaw

Not a game dev (so correct me if wrong) but if it's a major studio release I imagine the requirements based around micro transactions are determined by management and accounting. They'll likely have the data that says the time spent adding those "features" in more than makes up for the cost of implementation. It also gives the game a longer revenue stream.

In a F2P game I imagine the monetization scheme is the second conversation behind "what game do we make?" and more than just the bean counters work on solving that problem.

I just think it's funny that Gaf condemns the "working conditions" of the industry while simultaneously being the first to freak the fuck out about dev laziness if a AAA dares to release without like, HDR or some shit like that.

The literal worst crunch culture studio in the industry is the one that receives the most near-universal praise on Gaf.

Neil Druckmann: "How do you avoid crunch? Don't try to make Game of the Year."

Funny how some people blast unions and say that they won't help...

I live in Europe, a Nordic country and almost everyone is a member of a union. From cleaning staff to higher execs.

You pay a small amount of money and get almost unlimited help. There's no downsides.

ESPECIALLY in a field that relies on creative, talented professionals.

USA sucks, and I would never live there. Everything in your society aims at abusing people, taking everything they own and after that shitting on your grave. It is just horrible. I really feel for you guys.

This is true for many industries.

The best and most successful talent pretty much gives up family life to focus completely on their job.

You very rarely can have both a family you regularly spend time with and a high-end, high-expectation, deadline-oriented, critically demanding job with publishers and shareholders breathing down your neck for results.

Juggling those things with a family is impossible.

Maledict

Unpopular opinion, but modern games are simply too cheap for the resources they require to make. Games haven't increased in price anywhere near enough compared to the cost of making them, and that means projects don't get the actual staffing they need and instead everyone has to crunch for months.

I just think it's funny that Gaf condemns the "working conditions" of the industry while simultaneously being the first to freak the fuck out about dev laziness if a AAA dares to release without like, HDR or some shit like that.

The literal worst crunch culture studio in the industry is the one that receives the most near-universal praise on Gaf.

Just an observation, but it seems like some people, not restricted to GAF, are starting to express more understanding as to why devs release some games in less than finished states.

zigg

Unionize.

It doesn't seem like any governments in the US are going to regulate fair working conditions any time soon, so I'm surprised I hear absolutely nothing about unionization. The problems with burnout and crunch have been well documented for years, and that goes for a lot of tech industries outside of gaming, too.
Yeah. Tech absolutely needs to be on top of this, but SV has a ready supply of bros so that's not happening anytime soon sadly

Ralemont

not me

The Uncharted 4 chapter of Jason's book has so far been particularly disturbing. I actually got really angry at the quote from (I think) one of the ND co-owners about "Well we don't technically "require" any crunch, they just want to do it!"

At some point if you pride yourself as a company employing humans, maybe turn off the fucking lights at a certain point so people have to go home.

Oh, but then you wouldn't get Game of the Year. Right.

jackal27

Banned
No surprise there. I (and others of course) have been saying this isn't sustainable for almost 10 years now. Yearly sequels to massive games with realistic visuals and online mutliplayer that have to tick every single buzzword check mark... and then sell far below expectations and you're expected to immediately do it all over again.

If that isn't the textbook definition of unsustainable, I don't know what is.

dukeoflegs

I've been in the game industry for almost 10 years now in a senior and manager positions. The last two jobs I had had excellent work life balance and I thought I hit it out of the park when I was hired on at those companies. I lost the later job when two of our teams were outsourced to India and I lost the former job when the company couldn't get financial backing (VR).
I've been unemployed for 4 months and trying to get out of the game industry. What sucks is every company I've applied for outside of the game industry wont hire me because of the lack of long term employment. For the past 7 years most of the jobs I've had have been less than a year because of the way of the industry, your hired on under contract until the game ships or the game is sunset.
A couple days ago I interviewed with a large game company that recently set up shop here in the Puget Sound area and the hiring director was surprised at how many people she talks to ask if the positions are contract or FTE. I guess where the main office is there are few contract positions across the board.
If I would have know the industry was like this when I went to college in 2004 I would have skipped it, got a job at Boeing, and have a nice pension going right now.

When I started working at Riot, someone in my onboarding class described the gaming industry as "you work twice the hours for half the pay."

Thankfully, Riot wasn't like that and I loved my five years there. Seriously, if anyone considers a career in the game industry, look at Riot. Their mission is to be "the most player-focused game company in the world," and they absolutely mean it. It's just an incredible place to be.

I think outsourcing is starting to put a lot of cost pressure on studios. It's becoming cheaper and cheaper to send development overseas, and if you can manage it well, it's a great option.

Budgets have also shifted more and more towards marketing. When there are 10 games being released every day on Steam and 2-3 major games each week during peak seasons, you have to put in marketing dollars to stand out from the crowd.

It used to be qualified, competent, and talented developers that caused a game to "stand out" and get attention. Now, it's qualified, competent, and talented marketers, and thus the money has shifted.

Great post, and so true.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Amazing what happens when big companies take advantage of workers because they're scared they won't be able to find employment elsewhere. It's almost as if there was a reason unions needed to be so big in the country.

FelixFFM

Eeeh thats just one side of the equation. I see Sr. artist leads often, apply for them and hear nothing, not even an interview request.

Im not exactly underqualified either, Ive been art directing for years now and Im not terrible

The problem with filling art positions is manyfold. Lets get the obvious one out of the way first: sometimes you are not the right fit. Games have more broad genres now and it can be hard to find an artist that fits the required style.

As for the rest:

-Stubbornness or inability to promote from within. A big problem in many dev houses, the "new" is usually considered higher value than who you already have. This is unhealthy and leads to turnover because great talent leaves to get the promotion they deserve

-Non Artists judging art portfolios. HR can be surprisingly bad at choosing what artists get selected for an interview. They lack an eye for art and if you didnt work for a big AAA game you dont even get a chance.

-Unwillingness to take chances. With artists this is especially prevalent. I cant tell you how many jobs Ive lost out on because of an "Art Director from EA with 15 years experience, you gotta understand" Artists need to be tained and nurtured and its very hard to grow a spotless resume.

-Job requirements weed too many candidates out. Im a big proponent of "apply anyway, you never know" but a lot of artists look for any reason to hate themselves and not apply for jobs so when they see an opening requiring 6 years experience, 2D and 3D portfolios, at least one AAA game shipped and UI experience ... people just dont apply.

-Waiting too long for the perfect candidate. Ive seen medium to small sized companies in the Bay Area like NC Soft San Mateo or Pocket Gens have Lead or Sr positions open FOR A YEAR. They would have been much better off taking a chance on somebody on a trial basis instead of hurting their project.

Theres more to cover, but as a whole covering Sr. positions is hard because it catches a lot of talent between a rock and a hard place ... plus companies are way too picky and risk averse. You do have some burnout, of course, but its not nearly as simple as that, at least not in the art field.

Senior Art positions are probably the easiest to get and have the most straight-forward application process. There's also a quite big demand for senior talent.
What you seem to be looking for or applying for are lead/supervisor roles where you don't do much actual work and rather direct and manage others. These are harder to come by, naturally, and need either connections or extremely strong portfolios.

jackal27

Banned
When I started working at Riot, someone in my onboarding class described the gaming industry as "you work twice the hours for half the pay."

Thankfully, Riot wasn't like that and I loved my five years there. Seriously, if anyone considers a career in the game industry, look at Riot. Their mission is to be "the most player-focused game company in the world," and they absolutely mean it. It's just an incredible place to be.

I think outsourcing is starting to put a lot of cost pressure on studios. It's becoming cheaper and cheaper to send development overseas, and if you can manage it well, it's a great option.

Budgets have also shifted more and more towards marketing. When there are 10 games being released every day on Steam and 2-3 major games each week during peak seasons, you have to put in marketing dollars to stand out from the crowd.

It used to be qualified, competent, and talented developers that caused a game to "stand out" and get attention. Now, it's qualified, competent, and talented marketers, and thus the money has shifted.
Man, that part about the marketing is so true. makes a ton of sense, but sucks. There is just so much noise these days and it sucks that so many legitimately great games get overlooked or sell so far below expectations.

Neptonic

I just got a degree involving Software Development, and half the people in the CS/Engineering school were there, at least partially, because of the influence video games had on their life (those involved with Software, specifically). The only people who want to work on video games are the ones who are in the specific major for it, and most of them want to go work at Blizzard or go Indy.

Pretty much everyone who has the skills and likes video games, doesn't want to enter the field. I'm posting on a video game forum, and wouldn't touch video game development with a ten-foot pole. A software developer is one of the best jobs you can get, why would you trade that in to go work on video games? Literally one of the worst jobs in America vs some of the best. It's no contest.
Basically this

MogCakes

There are an absolute ton of games coming out each year. The titles and their staff, to corporate types, are expendable, and are treated as such. The brand matters more than the talent to a CEO.

Man, that part about the marketing is so true. makes a ton of sense, but sucks. There is just so much noise these days and it sucks that so many legitimately great games get overlooked or sell so far below expectations.

Or maybe, just maybe, people like you just aren't buying enough of those games for them to get made anymore.

Ultimately, everything bad or good in this industry boils down to you, the consumer. Gamers love to boogeyman Activision or EA or whoever but the reality is, they're only doing what you proved to be worthwhile.

Why are the single-player offline narrative-driven games GAF loves so much not being made as much anymore? You didn't buy enough of them.

Why are their microtransactions in games? Because the cost of making games has exponentially increased, but you told publishers that you refuse to pay any more for a new game then you did 5, 10, and 15 years ago.

And so on and so forth.

Top Bottom