• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier "Horizon Online Next for Guerilla, Horizon 3 'Ways off', Sony's Live Service Initiative was no joke"

clarky

Gold Member
whGJuiq.gif
Show me any game cancelled to make way for "this slop"

Ill save you some time, you can't.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Yeah they didn't, for the 100th time, that's the point. They literally wasted hundreds of millions of dollars on projects with almost no chance of succeding and some fanboys can't even admit that was a mistake. Unbelievable.
But you're not actually making a point. You're just whining that you didn't get things your way.

Last edited:

Danny22

Neo Member
This game is going to be a flop and anybody who's seen the youtube leaks will agree.

Instead of making an actual Horizon online, they're going for something that reminds me of Palworld, some cartoonish twisted version because some graphs in market research told them that would be more successful.

It's not some premium live service title that uses the existing critically acclaimed gameplay.

I'm talking as a person who truly believes Sony could have made a huge splash in the live service realm had they used their existing gameplay e.g factions 2, twisted metal, that spiderman game.

Instead they go for generic shooters or this cartoony sh*t.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Have no reason not to considering recent events with Sony.

Well....that doesn't really make a lot of sense, GG is a massive team and I doubt they would not making Horizon 3 to work on some Monster Hunter MP type thing, they might likely just do both or something, as all of GG didn't do that VR game, it would be like saying Horizon 2 isn't happening cause a VR game.

Topher

Gold Member
Well....that doesn't really make a lot of sense, GG is a massive team and I doubt they would not making Horizon 3 to work on some Monster Hunter MP type thing, they might likely just do both or something, as all of GG didn't do that VR game, it would be like saying Horizon 2 isn't happening cause a VR game.

I get it. I would love it if Schreier were totally wrong on this one.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Show me any game cancelled to make way for "this slop"

Ill save you some time, you can't.
How do I prove a negative? lol

I can tell you that Ghost of Tsushima had an estimated budget of $60M and Concordians of the Galaxy has a reported budget of over $400M. Why don't you do the math?

clarky

Gold Member
How do I prove a negative? lol

I can tell you that Ghost of Tsushima had an estimated budget of $60M and Concordians of the Galaxy has a reported budget of over $400M. Why don't you do the math?
Concord didn't cost 400 million and GOT was a last gen game made before the pandemic, i fail to see the correlation. Your "math" is pie in the sky.

Nothing got cancelled so concord could get made.

Jakk

But you're not actually making a point. You're just whining that you didn't get things your way.
Reading is hard, I guess.
I'm sorry, but you are making no sense whatsoever. I wasn't even talking about me liking some hypothetical game or not. The point is it was an incompetent decision which cost Sony resources, which could've been spent on projects that make much more sense financially, no matter if I personally would have ended up liking the resulting game or not. And even if there's no guarantee I would like the resulting game, so what? There's also no guarantee I wouldn't.

PandaOk

Neo Member
GT7 and MLB is not really part of the GaaS push, those studios are doing exactly what they were doing all along. Pushing them under the new GaaS initiatives that Sony was hoping for is revisionist history. And Concord is one of the largest failure in video game history, and it’s hardly the only fuck up. Naughty Dog wasted years and have dick all to show for it, and Bungie has been a an extremely questionable purchase for the sheer amount of money they paid for it.

Trying to spin this as not being a big blunder for Sony is pure copium.
Sony said themselves that those games are a part of their big GAAS initiative, and even if you exclude them it’s still Helldivers 2 being a huge success and Concord being a huge bomb. Choppy waters, uncertainty? Sure.

But the copium isn’t happening from the side of people that understand Sonys gambit. It’s not a disaster yet, and it may or may not be. They’ll take all these hits if it means have 2-3 hits, that’s just how it works.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Concord didn't cost 400 million

So you're saying Colin Moriarty made the whole thing up, even when he said initially he thought $200M was too high of an estimate before talking to his source? I think his word/sources carry more weight than your hypotheses here.

GOT was a last gen game made before the pandemic, i fail to see the correlation. Your "math" is pie in the sky.
You can double the GoT budget to $120M just for the sake of argument. You could still make multiple games with that amount of money before you approach $400M.

Nothing got cancelled so concord could get made.
Do you understand the very basic concept that time and money are finite resources? If you're dedicating hundreds of millions of dollars and years of work toward one GaaS project, it means that's time and money that could've been spent on other projects. We'll never know what other projects could have been because this is where Sony decided to direct their time, resources, and talent.

simpatico

Horizon was only good as a side piece. Not a main franchise for a console. Under that kind of scrutiny it falls apart. When it’s barely in the big 5 of a console franchises it does OK

clarky

Gold Member

So you're saying Colin Moriarty made the whole thing up, even when he said initially he thought $200M was too high of an estimate before talking to his source? I think his word/sources carry more weight than your hypotheses here.

You can double the GoT budget to $120M just for the sake of argument. You could still make multiple games with that amount of money before you approach $400M.

Do you understand the very basic concept that time and money are finite resources? If you're dedicating hundreds of millions of dollars and years of work toward one GaaS project, it means that's time and money that could've been spent on other projects. We'll never know what other projects could have been because this is where Sony decided to direct their time, resources, and talent.

If you think a multiplayer only title with a handful of maps, modes and characters cost north of 400 million i don't know what to say.

Like i keep telling you Sony's core studios are still working on single player titles. You have lost nothing.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
If you think a multiplayer only title with a handful of maps, modes and characters cost north of 400 million i don't know what to say.
Again, Colin Moriarty's word/sources carry a lot more weight than your assumptions here.
Like i keep telling you Sony's core studios are still working on single player titles. You have lost nothing.
I already explained why this is demonstrably false.

clarky

Gold Member
Again, Colin Moriarty's word/sources carry a lot more weight than your assumptions here.

I already explained why this is demonstrably false.
You have demonstrated nothing and if you'd like to believe Concord is the most expensive game Sony has ever made, no actually one of THE most expensive games of all time by quite some margin then crack on.

Last edited:

DarkstarRising13

Neo Member
Regardless of the true budget for this game, Concord was no doubt a massive flop, so much so that Sony went out of their way to pull the game from stores and PSN, refunded everyone, and took steps that plainly look like a tax write-off to curb most of the damage.

Just give us another Killzone!
I remember back in the x360 days , I got sick of 1st person shooters, that's the reason I bought a ps3 , it felt like a breath of fresh air , now Sony has no 1st person shooters...now I miss them , Killzone ? Resistance ? Please!

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
You have demonstrated nothing and if you'd like to believe Concord is the most expensive game Sony has ever made, no actually one of THE most expensive games of all time by quite some margin then crack on.
I've demonstrated that you lack basic understanding if you don't realize that time and money are finite resources, and Sony's push for GaaS projects means those finite resources are being allocated to GaaS games when they could have been used for a variety of different games. I honestly feel bad that I have to keep explaining such kindergarten-level fundamental concepts to you.

clarky

Gold Member
I've demonstrated that you lack basic understanding if you don't realize that time and money are finite resources, and Sony's push for GaaS projects means those finite resources are being allocated to GaaS games when they could have been used for a variety of different games. I honestly feel bad that I have to keep explaining such kindergarten-level fundamental concepts to you.
No you're just pulling stuff out of your arse because you don't like some of the projects Sony is making. Projects get cancelled or fail all the time its not exclusive to GAAS. Carry on being upset about nothing.

Last edited:

Astray

I cannot get over how much Sony is trying to push Horizon.

It is a boring, tired, by the numbers third person action game with shitty combat and cringe characters. It is saved by flashy graphics but the sequel drove home just how dull the game is.

And yet they’re pushing it harder than anything else.
Horizon is the gaming world's answer to Avatar.

Both are graphical showcases that take place in a lush anf uniquely-designed world, both are either completely ignored by the die-hard fans of each medium, but normies go to both in absolute droves.

Just last week one of my normie friends bought the Burning shores expansion and was telling me about it.

Nydius

Why is Sony shoving Horizon down our throats so much?! Bloody hell!

They're not.
I'll repeat facts again, despite knowing it'll get ignored by the irrational haters around here:

Using similar time frames (or shorter depending on when the franchise was shelved):

Horizon franchise (2017 - Present): Two games, two spin-offs. Third spin off in pre-Alpha with no release ETA.
Uncharted franchise from 2007 - 2015: Three PS3 games, two Vita games, and a PS4 remastered collection (that also stripped out multiplayer!).
Killzone franchise from 2009-2013: Three PS3 games, one Vita game, and a PS3 'collection' re-release.
InFamous franchise from 2009-2014: Two PS3 games, a PS3 'collection' re-release, two standalone PS3 spin-offs, and a PS4 game (not to mention a Flash and Facebook game).

As for God of War? Holy shit! From 2007 to 2015:

FRMcApR.png

They are no more "shoving" Horizon down anyone's throats than they have any other franchise.
The only difference between Horizon and the others?
Horizon got ported to PC where it got a second marketing cycle.
That's it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom