• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: PlayStation 5 Pro Shows the Futility of the Video-Game Graphics Race

simpatico

Gold Member
I mean, everyone nitpicking Switch vs PS4 graphics are really just further proving his point, no? The Switch is dominating with WonderSwan level graphics.
PS4 and Switch have the same level of graphics for the vast majority of people. They both run Skyrim, Fornite, Overwatch, Mortal Kombat, Worms WMD, Minecraft, Roblox etc. The market does not give a shit about ray traced puddles. Check the Immortals of Avenum sales. Gaming has passed us by GAF. Accept it. There will still be games we like, but we don't really matter anymore to the big publishers. Enjoy the couple dozen twilight releases we're going to get over the next few years and hope that AI tools can help indies make us the giant moonshot games we love.

Fake

Gold Member
PS4 and Switch have the same level of graphics for the vast majority of people. They both run Skyrim, Fornite, Overwatch, Mortal Kombat, Worms WMD, Minecraft, Roblox etc. The market does not give a shit about ray traced puddles. Check the Immortals of Avenum sales. Gaming has passed us by GAF. Accept it. There will still be games we like, but we don't really matter anymore to the big publishers. Enjoy the couple dozen twilight releases we're going to get over the next few years and hope that AI tools can help indies make us the giant moonshot games we love.

Err...I don't think this claim is accurate even from consumers view lmao.

Just play Doom 2016.

XXL

Since when has the Switch had PS4 graphics?
93fgly.jpg

It's pretty close...

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yawn. Another reliably idiotic take. Did PS4 have to contend with the disruption of a global pandemic in its launch year? Or the economic downturn that's followed the lockdowns? Does Switch doubling-up as mobile device not mean anything?

Seriously, Schreier just isn't trying. Stop giving this muppet attention.
He's being reductive but he isn't totally wrong either. We have hit a point where vastly different levels of hardware -- sometimes even decade old hardware or mobile hardware -- can run essentially the same games, with the main differentiators being image quality and framerate, but where the overall impression of experience isn't really that different.

That is very different than it has been in past gens, where the line between generations was a lot clearer. And obviously this impacts the market -- people are less concerned with graphical fidelity and are willing to trade it to save money to gain portability or whatever. It's not really a bad thing, necessarily, but the reality of diminishing return of more powerful hardware. It just means gaming is turning into less of a hardware horserace.

Parazels

Easy, console gaming is dead. They did the same thing when the WiiU crashed and burned. The PS4 almost never came to market and Xbox had the industry in a stranglehold and could even buy Playstation.

The beginning of wisdom is to learn not to listen to these media heads. They no longer share the news, they just fish for clicks.
I still remember predictions from 2010s, that mobile gaming would replace consoles!
😂😂😂

simpatico

Gold Member
Err...I don't think this claim is accurate even from consumers view lmao.

Just play Doom 2016.
My brother, who is a grown ass man in his late 30s, loves Doom 2016. He's beat it on every difficulty and owns some merch. He's only ever played it on Nintendo Switch. How he's able to do this, I do not know. But I can assure you they are out there. Basically any non hobbyist gamer. If they do acknowledge the difference, it's much smaller than what we know it to be. Overwatch and Fortnite run smooth on the Switch.

Fake

Gold Member
My brother, who is a grown ass man in his late 30s, loves Doom 2016. He's beat it on every difficulty and owns some merch. He's only ever played it on Nintendo Switch. How he's able to do this, I do not know. But I can assure you they are out there. Basically any non hobbyist gamer. If they do acknowledge the difference, it's much smaller than what we know it to be. Overwatch and Fortnite run smooth on the Switch.

Is not about people doing this or that. The difference is very very easily to spot.

What you are talking is about the convinience of doing portable in comparison with PS4. Consumers are able to spot this kinda of difference.

Last edited:

Hyet

Neo Member
There's only two things consoles can chase: graphics and audience. You can do one, the other or both.

If you chase audience you may explode early but have a lot of work to do to keep interest as other platforms develop (examples are the Gameboy or the Wii).

If you chase graphics you'll have a slow start but it can snowball into popularity if you are able to leverage your platform advantages to get distinct games (I'd say both the first Xbox, PS3 or N64 attempted this in one way or another).

If you chase both... You get the Xbox Series family of systems. It wasn't a bad idea on principle but I don't know how it does ultimately finds success exactly... because it hasn't...

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Bro you concluded in your mind that there is a campaign of hate against the PS5. I'm done talking to you about this.

LOL... see what you did there... hyperbole.

Campaign of hate?

I said there was a campaign and you said a campaign of hate.

The reason you shoot for hyperbole is because your argument doesn't stand, which is again why you can't tell anyone the difference between an opinion piece and a hit piece.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
cormack12 cormack12 you're webarchive link is broken, at least for me. It also would've been helpful if you informed everyone in the OP that the article was corrected. As much as I hate Schreier, you don't need to make an effort to make him appear like an idiot, we already know he is one. "...despite having graphical capabilities equivalent to a PS4." was a typo, and has since been corrected to PS3.

That's a pretty massive type for a writer and an editor... Lest the rest of the misleading or incorrect things in the article...

Astray

Ideally I'd say you want both.
You present games that are already out to showcase the enhancements but you also show a bunch of cool new stuff coming in the future with the underlying messaging that all of it will be better on Ps5 pro.
I don't disagree on that. I have decent hopes for the upcoming State of Play because Sony is nearly out of promised content (only DS2 and Wolverine are on my hitlist, and I don't think much else has been announced yet).

How can even Sony say PS5pro is the best way to play Playstation games when they are on PC as well? They lost a bit of purpose trying to selling their premium machine.
PS5pro is neither the best way to play Playstation games or cheaper.

Well not all games are on PC to start. On top of that and this might surprise you but not everyone wants to play on PC. I tried PC gaming and went back to console. It's just not a good experience trying to use your PC from a couch.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Source: https://web.archive.org/web/2024091...nYW1lLWdyYXBoaWNzLXJhY2U/c3JuZD11bmRlZmluZWQ=

The most striking thing about this week’s PlayStation 5 Pro reveal wasn’t the internal power or sticker price (although that one was pretty shocking). It was the games.

.....lead architect Mark Cerny showed footage of games including The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Hogwarts Legacy, Horizon Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7. One common factor? They were all also released on PlayStation 4 — and look perfectly fine on the 2013 console.

Another common factor? They all have incredible graphics — despite most of the games being years old.

The PS5 has failed to beat the PS4’s growth and is lagging behind it on sales, at least in part because so many players are sticking with older, less graphically intensive games, such as Fortnite and Grand Theft Auto Online, that can be played on the old consoles. (An industry downturn and a lack of big-name exclusive games also don’t help.)

Meanwhile, the most popular console on the market is the Nintendo Switch, which has sold 143 million units despite having graphical capabilities equivalent to a PS4.

200.gif

Its successor, expected to be released next year, will likely also be underpowered compared to its competitors — and will also likely outsell them all.

The PS5 Pro doesn’t feel like the console of the future — it feels like the vestige of a rapidly disappearing past.
lol makes no sense

3DS and DS where also popular handhelds too bud, people bought them based on portability, using this logic Sony and MS should focus on making that lol

Its successor, expected to be released next year, will likely also be a portable that is underpowered compared to its competitors — and will also likely outsell them all.
fixed...

I'm also not sure where they are getting that Sony and MS would be their "competitors" Nintendo no longer makes systems competing with MS and Sony in the first place, they stopped that after the Wii U failed.

Nintendo's main competitor is mobile phones and other portables like Steam Deck.

So right now, nothing Sony is doing is hurting Nintendo, they are not in the same market. Nothing Nintendo is doing is hurting Sony.....they are not in the same market....

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Source: https://web.archive.org/web/2024091...nYW1lLWdyYXBoaWNzLXJhY2U/c3JuZD11bmRlZmluZWQ=

The most striking thing about this week’s PlayStation 5 Pro reveal wasn’t the internal power or sticker price (although that one was pretty shocking). It was the games.

.....lead architect Mark Cerny showed footage of games including The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Hogwarts Legacy, Horizon Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7. One common factor? They were all also released on PlayStation 4 — and look perfectly fine on the 2013 console.

Another common factor? They all have incredible graphics — despite most of the games being years old.

The PS5 has failed to beat the PS4’s growth and is lagging behind it on sales, at least in part because so many players are sticking with older, less graphically intensive games, such as Fortnite and Grand Theft Auto Online, that can be played on the old consoles. (An industry downturn and a lack of big-name exclusive games also don’t help.)

Meanwhile, the most popular console on the market is the Nintendo Switch, which has sold 143 million units despite having graphical capabilities equivalent to a PS4.

200.gif

Its successor, expected to be released next year, will likely also be underpowered compared to its competitors — and will also likely outsell them all.

The PS5 Pro doesn’t feel like the console of the future — it feels like the vestige of a rapidly disappearing past.

This is a horribly written piece. He makes it sound as if the PS5 is 50% behind the PS4. And why say the Switch 2 will sell more than the PS5, when WE'VE NEVER SEEN IT YET!!!!!

mckmas8808

Handheld PC's (like the switch) are the future of gaming.

Magic Carpet
13Sep2024
Friday the 13th

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So all of a sudden playing games on a TV isn't going to be in demand?

All these hot takes for a half step console when the PS4 Pro only made up 15% of the total PS4 sales. We're acting like this is the PS6 announcement and is doom and gloom for next gen.

Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami is right when he says these are just hit pieces at this point. This amount of hate and narrative creation shouldn't be happening for a mid-gen console.

I said it in another thread but IMO last gen we reached the "good enough" point with graphics.
They can obviously still get better but I don't feel like they enhance the game in a meaningful way anymore.
Case in point some of the best games this year (at least IMO...and in reviews ) aren't particularly graphically demanding: Astrobot, Infinite Wealth, Stellar Blade, SMTV Vengeance, Unicorn Overlord, Shadow of the Eardtree, etc

But games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Black Myth Wukong couldn't even run on the PS4.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
But games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Black Myth Wukong couldn't even run on the PS4.

These games are just a tip of the iceberg...

I hope that games on the base systems continue to be 60 fps, but I seriously doubt they will be and if they are they'll be running in 720p and 1080p at best.

That's something people are going to have to get accustomed to.

Spider-Man 2 runs at 1080p-1440p to run at 60 fps on the base PS5... but you'll still have people acting like this is 2001 and devs are just starting to scratch the surface of the PS2...

There are absolutely games that push the PS5 to its limits, at least if you want 60 fps.

mckmas8808

PS5 Pro is gonna flop, absolutely no one asked for it. And the improvement it gives is very marginal and the $700 price without disc drive ….yuk!

In a year, once Switch 2 come out, no one is going to remember PS5 Pro even exist

Who paid you to say this? LOL!!!

GTA6 is mid to late 2026, by then might as well wait for GTA6 on PS6

Bro! The PS6 is rumored to come out in 2028. How is that around the corner to yall?

Sony and MS chasing the "as close to PC as possible" strategy is fine for the console crowd who'll always stick around. But sales show console sales havent even budged in decades despite gaming growing. You got tons of people playing mobile and the PC crowd is growing as per record breaking Steam counts every year (recently hit a new CCU record). So it shows people are playing PC more and dont have a problem buying uber gpus.

Gaming seems to be trending to either cheap mobile or expensive PC, while the middle crowd (consoles) gets squeezed out or not budging much.
Nintendo does great as they carves out family fun (as always), a modest priced system and portability all in one gadget.

It's unbelievable to me how bad your post is. Normally you post great\smart stuff too. Weird. The bolded is just mind-blowing! Consoles are not getting squeezed out. Xbox is! How can people NOT understand this?

This is to the person that is an avid gamer and wants the best gaming experience - Get that PC. I know it's a lot, but the price is worth it if you play a lot of games. These consoles are getting higher in price. You can't beat the versatility of a PC for a few hundred more.

mckmas8808

Everyone will be happy devs will have 4+ years of experience in working with PSSR when the PS6 launches

Yep! Something that most on GAF and Jason don't seem to understand. Their understanding of the game creation and hardware is so limited that they don't even know what DLSS and PSSR really is and how it'll help future hardware like the PS6.

With so limited thinking and understanding, it's no wonder these hit pieces keep coming out.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I finally upgraded my iPhone X to an iPhone 15 last year.

Apart from the convenience of USB-C I often wonder why I bothered.

Diminishing returns.

I upgrade every two years or just about.

The trade in value is better on newer phones and you get a nicer overall experience and featureset.

I sold my PS3 on the private market and bought a PS4. I traded in my Ps4 for a PS4 Pro. I traded my Ps4 Pro in for a PS5, and I'll trade in my PS5 for a PS5 Pro and I'll trade that in for a PS6 as long as compatibility remains. I got a PS3 from a friend, but it isn't the model that plays ps1 and 2 discs.

Fake

Gold Member
Well not all games are on PC to start. On top of that and this might surprise you but not everyone wants to play on PC. I tried PC gaming and went back to console. It's just not a good experience trying to use your PC from a couch.

What was the games Sony showed in their PS5pro conference?

Keep that in mind that neither Sony cares anymore.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Everyone will be happy devs will have 4+ years of experience in working with PSSR when the PS6 launches

Don't forget when it is the center piece of a PS Handheld that people have been dying to have. When you can make 720p look like 1080p with less power consumption than native rendering at 1080p...

All of that relies on PSSR and the continued investment Sony is going to need to put into that tech. It has a huge advantage over DLSS in that it only has to work on a limited set of hardware.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

Same I tried to get into Steam during the pandemic. Instantly knew it wasn't for me. Tried playing FF7 remastered with some mods and every mod I tried made the game look janky. I hated trying to adjust controls or get the games to display PS icons during the tutorials. I hated even in Big Picture mode the general layout and that sometimes my controller would connect and sometimes it wouldn't. I also didn't like the layout of my games library. People complain about the lack of folders on PS5... wait til you look at steam...

mckmas8808

You brother is the extreme minority. Please understand that.

Schreier asks: 'do we really need new consoles?'

He should ask whether we need new graphics cards, smartphones, tvs and other electronics too.

Exactly! He sounds like a guy that just lost his love for new hardware and the latest gaming tech. Maybe he should ask himself if he still wants to be a gamer or just a reporter talking about games.

Dock (mock) my words if you must. Imagine if Switch 2 can be docked into a VR headset. TV's arn't the only things that can have docks.

LOL!!! VR has it's limits as to how many people want to game that way. Playing on a TV or a big monitor is what the majority of people want to do.

This is to the person that is an avid gamer and wants the best gaming experience - Get that PC. I know it's a lot, but the price is worth it if you play a lot of games. These consoles are getting higher in price. You can't beat the versatility of a PC for a few hundred more.

NO! Some of us hate the idea of gaming on a PC. Stop trying to recruit us. We good.

Top Bottom