• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: PlayStation 5 Pro Shows the Futility of the Video-Game Graphics Race

Switch is capable of running these 360 and PS3 games at 1080p without issues. There are many examples.

showme-show.gif

near

Gold Member
cormack12 cormack12 you're webarchive link is broken, at least for me. It also would've been helpful if you informed everyone in the OP that the article was corrected. As much as I hate Schreier, you don't need to make an effort to make him appear like an idiot, we already know he is one. "...despite having graphical capabilities equivalent to a PS4." was a typo, and has since been corrected to PS3.

Msamy

Truly fu.. that A.. Hole Schreier and those like him they are the reason for what happening this gen with many cross gen looking titles and gaas titles

Last edited:

Crayon

At what point does this end?

At what point are graphics good enough?

Gran Turismo 11, in photo mode if you zoom in on a spectator you can see their nostril hairs. The nostril hairs are full ray traced and path traced.

The nostril hairs also have physics, they react to wind simulation and move at 240fps.

Will you people be happy then, or do you want MOAR POWAHHHHH!!!!!

The nostril hairs have advanced AI. They can think, feel, and even love.

cormack12 cormack12 you're webarchive link is broken, at least for me. It also would've been helpful if you informed everyone in the OP that the article was corrected. As much as I hate Schreier, you don't need to make an effort to make him appear like an idiot, we already know he is one. "...despite having graphical capabilities equivalent to a PS4." was a typo, and has since been corrected to PS3.

Oh no but we were having fun at least !

zedinen

PlayStation 5 Pro Shows the Futility of the Video-Game Graphics Race

The PS5 generation has been as profitable as all the four previous generations combined , and we're still in the first half of the cycle.

dhw649e.jpeg

The PS5 has failed to beat the PS4’s growth and is lagging behind it on sales

Only in Europe.

Will the PS5 outsell PS4? Depends on Totoki (profits vs sales)

The most popular console on the market is the Nintendo Switch

The most popular console on the market is the PS5

yJr3bif.jpeg

Nintendo Switch has sold 143 million units

as a secondary gaming platform, thanks to the COVID-19 lockdown.

0oIjYb0.jpeg

YlojAHf.jpeg

Its successor, expected to be released next year, will likely also be underpowered compared to its competitors — and will also likely outsell them all.

1.Best case scenario:

Nintendo controls 15% of consumer spending

2.Worst case scenario:

GTA 6 + PS5 price cut + less free time and disposable income = no need for a secondary gaming platform

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Are you actually being serious? Your gonna sit back and say every slightly negative opinion about something you like is now a hit piece?
It's fine if you don't agree with it, there is no need to go grab tinfoil hats.
I could start claiming all your posts are paid astroturfing but I'm not because it's ridiculous.
Or is it....🤔
Watching Season 10 GIF by One Chicago

]
Joking April Fools GIF by Katelyn Tarver

I asked a pretty simple question. What's the difference between an opinion piece and a hit piece, and you couldn't answer that.

Did I make up the term hit piece? Does a hit piece constitute a conspiracy?

I call balls and strikes. I'm critical of things and I praise things when I think it's appropriate.

If the PS5 Pro doesn't have PS Link, I'm going to be critical of that decision, just like I was with PS5 Slim and as a result I won't be buying the PS5 Elite headset.

I provided a definition for what a hit piece is and this clearly fits that description.

• Jason says all the games were PS4 games... they weren't. They included FF7 Rebirth, maybe FF16, and Spider-Man 2. These are all PS5 exclusives. Objectively this is false.
  • The PS5 is selling pretty aligned with the PS4 despite a pandemic, once in a generation (people generation not gaming generation) inflation, so it's more than biased to compare its growth to PS4s. At best this is misleading.
  • Comparing the Switch to the PS5 is also misleading and biased as you could make the exact same argument about the Switch and the DS, which it hasn't outsold.
  • The Switch isn't graphically equivalent to the PS4. This is a blatant falsehood.
  • Assuming Switch 2 will outsell the PS5 is a pretty big assumption too given that what's likely is we're looking at something that's just a graphical jump between the PS4 and PS4 Pro, but for more money than the current switch.. the argument against what he's making here. Either way, it shows bias.
  • The end line shows a lot of bias, especially since he hasn't even seen the system in person and nothing really has released for it, but somehow "it feels like the vestige of a rapidly disappearing past."
    • Jason is not a sales analyst nor has he been a writer who has a history of prophecizing the future level of success of products
The problem with a lot of these hit pieces is that they'll be forgotten completely in the future or dismissed as "old".

No one is responsible for what they say is kind of the vibe of gaming these days even when you're vibe is to have ridiculous hot takes.

JimboJones

I asked a pretty simple question. What's the difference between an opinion piece and a hit piece, and you couldn't answer that.

Did I make up the term hit piece? Does a hit piece constitute a conspiracy?

I call balls and strikes. I'm critical of things and I praise things when I think it's appropriate.

If the PS5 Pro doesn't have PS Link, I'm going to be critical of that decision, just like I was with PS5 Slim and as a result I won't be buying the PS5 Elite headset.

I provided a definition for what a hit piece is and this clearly fits that description.

• Jason says all the games were PS4 games... they weren't. They included FF7 Rebirth, maybe FF16, and Spider-Man 2. These are all PS5 exclusives. Objectively this is false.
  • The PS5 is selling pretty aligned with the PS4 despite a pandemic, once in a generation (people generation not gaming generation) inflation, so it's more than biased to compare its growth to PS4s. At best this is misleading.
  • Comparing the Switch to the PS5 is also misleading and biased as you could make the exact same argument about the Switch and the DS, which it hasn't outsold.
  • The Switch isn't graphically equivalent to the PS4. This is a blatant falsehood.
  • Assuming Switch 2 will outsell the PS5 is a pretty big assumption too given that what's likely is we're looking at something that's just a graphical jump between the PS4 and PS4 Pro, but for more money than the current switch.. the argument against what he's making here. Either way, it shows bias.
  • The end line shows a lot of bias, especially since he hasn't even seen the system in person and nothing really has released for it, but somehow "it feels like the vestige of a rapidly disappearing past."
    • Jason is not a sales analyst nor has he been a writer who has a history of prophecizing the future level of success of products
The problem with a lot of these hit pieces is that they'll be forgotten completely in the future or dismissed as "old".

No one is responsible for what they say is kind of the vibe of gaming these days even when you're vibe is to have ridiculous hot takes.
Your too invested in this stuff, your whole perception of the situation is incredibly warped.

cormack12

Gold Member

Bloomberg article
Corrected
September 13, 2024 at 7:46 PM

Thread started:

cormack12 cormack12

Gold Member​

7.43 is earlier than 7.46 and no I don't have to constantly check and update his articles? Wayback machine seems to be broke as I can't even access the main domain at the moment. I assume it will be back online at some point. The archive link was to avoid direct clicks.

Mossybrew

Yeah, to me it is amazing and baffling that most of the games they used to showcase the brand new PS5 PRO are fucking years old. They were great games! I played them already! I don't give a fuck if they can be run at 8K 120FPS I don't need to play them again!

near

Gold Member
Bloomberg article
Corrected
September 13, 2024 at 7:46 PM

Thread started:

cormack12 cormack12

Gold Member​

7.43 is earlier than 7.46 and no I don't have to constantly check and update his articles? Wayback machine seems to be broke as I can't even access the main domain at the moment. I assume it will be back online at some point. The archive link was to avoid direct clicks.
Fair enough. I thought the purpose of the webarchive link was to share the excerpts prior to the correction.

Astray

Yeah, to me it is amazing and baffling that most of the games they used to showcase the brand new PS5 PRO are fucking years old. They were great games! I played them already! I don't give a fuck if they can be run at 8K 120FPS I don't need to play them again!
It's an enhancement console. Not a next-gen one.

You don't showcase enhancements on material that no one has ever seen or experienced before, the entire point is to showcase the "before/after" effect, which doesn't work if you aren't intimately aware of the before part.

Their real mistake was revealing it on its own, and being too greedy with currency adjustments. Sony should have also been the ones coming out with the high-bitrate version, not IGN.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's news to me that the Switch is considered to be as powerful as a PS4. :messenger_grinning_smiling: But that is splitting hairs.

There is just no way to deny the diminishing returns in regards to graphics at this point. I know some hate that thought, but it just seems to be a reality at this point. Maybe the first rounds of graphene gpus will shake that up.
Diminishing returns and also the death of Moore's law.. per Moore's law the PS5 Pro is supposed to be four times faster than the base PS5 at the same cost. Yet, it's barely twice as fast at a higher cost. It stinks... the hardware race is going the way of yesterday.

We need to change..

Fbh

Gold Member
I think PS6 might be the last PlayStation

Not in terms of it failing and Sony exiting the business, but in terms of the format lasting decades as advances in hardware no longer bring a better experience.

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see how things change moving forward.
I could see them adopting a phone like approach where they still release new devices but with subtler upgrades from one generation to the next and games being supported by a wide range of "playstation" products. Sort of like how you can play something like Genshin Impact on an iPhone 8 all the way to the newest 16.

It's an enhancement console. Not a next-gen one.

You don't showcase enhancements on material that no one has ever seen or experienced before, the entire point is to showcase the "before/after" effect, which doesn't work if you aren't intimately aware of the before part.

Ideally I'd say you want both.
You present games that are already out to showcase the enhancements but you also show a bunch of cool new stuff coming in the future with the underlying messaging that all of it will be better on Ps5 pro.

Everyone will be happy devs will have 4+ years of experience in working with PSSR when the PS6 launches

I was just discussing PSSR with someone as well. When I mentioned Sony doesn't except more than like 10% of total market share for this device. I mentioned how I guarantee the work they put into this system is going to be used to help them create the PS6. With PSSR being the main thing they want to push and improve with data they get from the PS5P.

The amount of bullshit written in the article is astounding, even though I agree with the basic premise of graphics not being the main driver of future console iterations. There is so much room for improvement in other areas, for which you need more power: better AI (not generative AI), better writing, more interactions, more realistic worlds, etc.

AAA games are becoming a beautiful but hollow experience since the visual fidelity of the world doesn't match the things going on in that world.

...And this perfectly circles all the way back around to my original point. As long as newer systems are continuing to be made with newer chips, we will eventually reach a point of plateau whether people like it or not. We can all whine on the way there or just buy and play what we want to until we collectively get there.

Taycan77

Let's see what these journalist and analysts are saying 12-18 months from now if the Switch 2 doesn't match the sales trajectory of the Switch.

It's a huge assumption to assume all those casual gamers who aren't concerned with graphics or performance will upgrade to the new hardware.

As for the relevance of the PS5 Pro, I couldn't care less what others think. I've gamed on consoles all my life, as I get older my gaming time is more limited, and I prefer quality over quantity.

Ebrietas

Neo Member
The Pro really broke people's minds didn't it?

Sony didn't discontinue the base model at $450. For the people who want something extra, the Pro is another option. How many of those people there are remains to be seen.

And people really need to stop assuming Switch 2 is a guaranteed hit. It will launch at a higher price than any previous Nintendo console. And Nintendo will also be facing the same exact problem of diminishing returns in terms of graphics. So they will have to find some way to convince 140 million Switch owners why they need to pay $400 for the new model. Which means making games that are not possible on the old Switch. Good luck with that.

Let's see what these journalist and analysts are saying 12-18 months from now if the Switch 2 doesn't match the sales trajectory of the Switch.

Considering Sony’s recent successes in India it’ll be Nintendo’s fault if Switch 2 doesn’t sell as well considering they don’t even officially sell in this market.

Mr.Phoenix

At what point does this end?

At what point are graphics good enough?

Gran Turismo 11, in photo mode if you zoom in on a spectator you can see their nostril hairs. The nostril hairs are full ray traced and path traced.

The nostril hairs also have physics, they react to wind simulation and move at 240fps.

Will you people be happy then, or do you want MOAR POWAHHHHH!!!!!
MOAR!!!!

I want to be able to smell the car leather from the controller.

simpatico

Gold Member
Complete nonsense. Sony is profiting on making consoles, Devs are profiting on making games. No one is getting off the gravy train, regardless of how many hacked together articles people push out to cast doubts on the PS5 Pro.

money GIF
I think a lot of current gen ""success"" is from momentum. Plenty of people are hitting Jason with the "well actually" on the PS5 sales figures, but if we're all being honest, the games just aren't there. There isn't even a single current gen classic. I probably don't have to remind you of the lineup of games we had at this point in last gen. Sony saw what Microsoft did to Raven and said "I want that Insomniac" so they're dead. 3 months from now will mark 5 years since Naughty Dog has released a game. Hell they don't even have one announced. A very large chunk of their diehard fanbase hated the last game they released. Clock is ticking on Call of Duty. The hot new FPS studio they bought burnt half a billion dollars and dented the brand reputation. All this stuff goes double for Xbox, so don't think I'm leaving them out of this. The type of games that people come to NeoGAF to talk about are going to get a major budget cut across the board after the bloodbath this decade has unleashed. People will point to reasons why, The wokes! The chuds! But it's really just straight up lack of games. That part of the industry grew away from its audience and they're paying for it dearly now. Hell Sony could have bought Ubisoft for the low low cost of two Concords. Ubi lost half itss value in the last 30 days. There will continue to be video games after PS6, we just won't play them on mainstream living room hardware with local processing.

Last edited:

JimboJones

I was just discussing PSSR with someone as well. When I mentioned Sony doesn't except more than like 10% of total market share for this device. I mentioned how I guarantee the work they put into this system is going to be used to help them create the PS6. With PSSR being the main thing they want to push and improve with data they get from the PS5P.
I'd say PiSSeR FrameGen will get a big push with 6 and who knows what other AI enhancements we will have in the next couple of years.

Mr.Phoenix

Easy, console gaming is dead. They did the same thing when the WiiU crashed and burned. The PS4 almost never came to market and Xbox had the industry in a stranglehold and could even buy Playstation.

The beginning of wisdom is to learn not to listen to these media heads. They no longer share the news, they just fish for clicks.

Fake

Gold Member
Well, how can blame this cunk? Sony release their exclusives on PC unlike Nintendo.

Nintendo hardware is crap, but is the only official place to play Nintendo games.

How can even Sony say PS5pro is the best way to play Playstation games when they are on PC as well? They lost a bit of purpose trying to selling their premium machine.
PS5pro is neither the best way to play Playstation games or cheaper.

I don't even like Premium consoles, but will sure get the next Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom