• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Hermen Hulst is now the man running Bungie, dev will lose it's autonomy

Draugoth

Gold Member
Also, they attempted to soften the blow by sending many people from Bungie into SIE instead of just cutting them. I thought the number of jobs lost was going to be closer to 350.

I'll put it as far as I know, which isn't everything by a long shot: In time, Bungie will lose its autonomy and will become like any other PlayStation Worldwide Studio under SIE and Herman Hulst.

And by "in time," I just mean that this is a process that is starting now. But it is happening.

Topher

Gold Member
Coming to Destiny soon.....

alloy_smooching.jpg

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
There is a difference between a PS studio reporting to the PS CEO and the PS CEO "running" the studio.
I can 100% guarantee that neither of the PS CEOs are “running” Bungie any more hands on than they do other studios.

Until now a PlayStation head wasn't in charge.... So.... They had autonomy as part of the acquisition deal which they have now lost due to poor performance.
My guess is they would have lost that over time regardless. Playstation needing to save them after acquisition only sped it up.

begotten

Reading everything it sounds like good news to me, especially since Bungie leadership was fucked.

Some layoffs were made, but people have been reallocated within SIE AND there is a team & project being spawned off Bungie, for a game that might not have seen the light between the juggling of Destiny & Marathon and whatever the hell else.

It was likely either a 2 year times deal (2 year anniversary was the 15th of July), or based on profitability that allowed Sony to fully take over.

I'd bet on the latter there. There were reports swirling that the previous round of cuts was an effort to keep the numbers in check to avoid specifically this outcome. With Destiny losing some steam (in terms of profitability) and nothing ready to take its place, maybe they couldn't hit the numbers they needed.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It was too late 6-7 years ago and there's no way to save this sinking ship unless they'll cancel all their BS GaaS shit and make a new Killzone or reboot it at the very least.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
PlayStation head is in charge of PlayStation studio. Can I get a “no shit?” from the congregation?
He wasn’t before. The purchase stipulated that Bungie had autonomy as long as they hit financial metrics that presumably they did not hit with the past two expansions.

JaksGhost

The whole plan was for talent retention. They're already starting that by splitting a group into a new SIE studio already developing a new IP along with shifting personnel to SIE. They need games and this is the way. Destiny is shuttering down and I have a feeling Marathon is gearing up for a 2025 release so I fear the COVID cuts are happening.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'd bet on the latter there. There were reports swirling that the previous round of cuts was an effort to keep the numbers in check to avoid specifically this outcome. With Destiny losing some steam (in terms of profitability) and nothing ready to take its place, maybe they couldn't hit the numbers they needed.
Yeah I’m guessing a combo of the 2 concepts, the 2 year mark was hit and they had some metrics they had to hit to maintain their independence.

Hudo

As much as I dislike Hermen, this move is one of the good things, imho. Now, if he just could force Bungie to unfuck Marathon and turn it into a proper Marathon game. They can still keep their shitty PVP extraction crap as a separate multiplayer mode.

NickFire

They had an independent board of directors, they were making their own decisions.

It was likely either a 2 year times deal (2 year anniversary was the 15th of July), or based on profitability that allowed Sony to fully take over.
Yup.

If Sony didn't act like a bag of dicks and increase price of online access, I'd almost feel bad for Sony in all this. Imagine spending billions to buy a VIDEOGAME company, seeing the profits trend the wrong way, and also seeing one of the ideas to right the ship was "reducing numerous morale events such as cooking and knitting classes from monthly to quarterly." Ouch.

nial

He wasn’t before. The purchase stipulated that Bungie had autonomy as long as they hit financial metrics that presumably they did not hit with the past two expansions.
Yes, because they reported to Jim Ryan, and now they report to Hermen Hulst once he became the Studio Business Group CEO in June.
Jeff Grubb, once again, knows nothing new.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yup.

If Sony didn't act like a bag of dicks and increase price of online access, I'd almost feel bad for Sony in all this. Imagine spending billions to buy a VIDEOGAME company, seeing the profits trend the wrong way, and also seeing one of the ideas to right the ship was "reducing numerous morale events such as cooking and knitting classes from monthly to quarterly." Ouch.
Well that’s what every company does when they go into the red, particularly when interest rates are so high so loans are basically out of the question.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Use Bungie to make a new single player Killzone campaign? I'd be down for that.
Cuz that's where they were best at doring X360 era and before this BS Destiny was even a thing.

We don't even need to worry about that they'll fuck it up cuz their FPS design skills are one of the best in the industry, so they'll nail that part like it's nothing. As for the story and everything else.... well, Idk. I think they need to go back before the first Killzone and show wtf happened in more detail cuz, I mean, 2 and 3 have great SP campaigns and there's no point in remaking them, so a prequel trilogy I think is the right thing to do here.

If Sony will be smart for once, they'll cancel the goddamn GaaS Marathon nobody asked for and focus on what I just said. It is literally the only way they can save Bungie (if they even want to) and inject new life into them, cuz the way I see it, they are dead otherwise.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Top Bottom