• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Hermen Hulst is now the man running Bungie, dev will lose it's autonomy

Luipadre

Bungie fucked up Destiny 1 by rebooting the entire game a month before the original release date, pushing the final release date a year out.

Then they did pretty much the same again with Destiny 2, when they rebooted the entire development a year before D2 released.
Then there's all the fuck ups with D2, where they even managed to take away half the game from the consumers.

Bungie can only go up with this move.

I never really cared about bungie. I never liked Halo that much and i'll always see destiny as a wasted potential

💀💀💀

CEOs are hilarious. “Hey kid, come check out my new Maserati. Cool, right? Btw you’re fired 😂🫵

It's okay b/c he's got the rainbow colors and said f- racism in his profile. Man gets pass.

It is a second party asian developed game .. I dont think the western branch crazies had much saying in the development choices in a studio they dont own, even more after the good reception of the trailers. I might be wrong though.
It's also a gd outlier. That's like Satya pointing to Candy Crush userbase and saying Xbox now has 500M users :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

wipeout364

I am sure Sony had a hundred lawyers go through the Activision Bungie contract with a magnifying glass before writing their acquisition deal.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Turns out that Killzone really was the Halo Killer
Tim And Eric Omg GIF

Bernardougf

Huh, yes.
Hermen Hulst oversees EVERY PlayStation Studios game, internally or externally developed, worldwide.
"western branch crazies"? Lol, Hermen Hulst is literally CEO of the Japanese SIE company, along with Hideaki Nishino.
Its not a playstation studios game though... since its not a first party sony owned developer... and the crazies is anybody that has input on their games and can make the decisions that sony studios have been making, not necessarily him.

Do you really think sony had imput on rise of the ronin or final fantasy remake ? Second/third party games dont work like that most of the time.

Last edited:
Won't be long and Jones will leave with a big bag of cash and the Bungie of old will be a mere memory.
I remember these guys having a fan base not only on console but PC as well especially with Combat Evolve back then. In my opinion they would of been better off stepping up to the plate by managing themselves and not compromising with a publisher when they had the opportunity like a lot of developers had back then to be independent and leverage the web. All that talent and time just absolutely wasted. All these developers we grew up with are getting crushed by publishers and platforms because none of them wanted to step up, y’all developers should of used the web.

Bernardougf

It's okay b/c he's got the rainbow colors and said f- racism in his profile. Man gets pass.

It's also a gd outlier. That's like Satya pointing to Candy Crush userbase and saying Xbox now has 500M users :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Exactly... its very nice this game existis for us to play... it would never been done this way under western sony studios.. and everybody should know that.

FUBARx89

They have it had their own board of directors and company charter separate from SIE.

Sony had nobody on the board.

From what we are hearing, the board is likely now dissolved, and Sony is in full control.

So, will Pete Parsons be getting his golden parachute the board being dissolved?

Or can Sony fire him for whatever gone on at Bungie?

yurinka

Jeff Grubb: Hermen Hulst is now the man running Bungie, dev will lose it's autonomy​

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/jeff...gie-dev-will-lose-its-autonomy.1673350/#reply
Bungie already did lose their autonomy completely over two years ago. They sold the 100% of the company to Sony, who did put it as a fully owned SIE subsidiary. Since then Bungie reports to its CEO, that now is Hermen Hulst after Jim Ryan retired.

It's a fully owned SIE subsidiary. Hermen can make a call tomorrow, fire Pete and to order them to cancel Marathon, Destiny 3 and shut down Destiny 2 because he decided that now Bungie will focus on making PSVR2 exclusive Knack 3 and Mister Mosquito 2.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So, will Pete Parsons be getting his golden parachute the board being dissolved?

If Sony dissolved the board (implied by what Grubb said) then Parsons is just an employee of Bungie (subsidiary of Sony.)

It’s possible Grubb is wrong and Bungie did this and made a deal for the remaining employees to stay autonomous though.

Bernardougf

Bungie already did lose their autonomy completely over two years ago. They sold the 100% of the company to Sony, who did put it as a fully owned SIE subsidiary. Since then Bungie reports to its CEO, that now is Hermen Hulst after Jim Ryan retired.
Only if you dont believe in what is known about their contract acquisition conditions and what sony and bungie have been saying ... if you believe them and the details, no, they had autonomy.

yurinka

Only if you dont believe in what is known about their contract acquisition conditions and what sony and bungie have been saying ... if you believe them and the details, no, they had autonomy.
What is known is that Sony acquired 100% of Bungie, and since then is a fully owned SIE subsidiary that reports to the SIE CEO, now Hermen Hulst.

Same guy who is now the CEO of the SIE Studio Business Group, which includes Bungie, PS Studios and the business related with the non-gaming adaptations of the PS Studios and Bungie IPs.

Same guy that is one of the SIE people that Sony did put in the Bungie board of directors since the moment they were acquired.

They said that Sony was giving them creative freedom -as they do with all their dev studios- and that wanted them to continue publishing on all platforms day one. Some gaming wankers took as if Bungie continues independent and can do whatever they want even going against Sony's will and interests, maybe because some secret deal.

But this is just fantasies, SIE owns the 100% of Bungie so can do whatever they want with them. As an example, Bungie underperformed last year, so Kotoki got angry and Hermen decided to fire over 200 people including higher ups, move 155 people to other SIE offices and to move an incubated project they had to PS Studios.

It’s possible Grubb is wrong and Bungie did this and made a deal for the remaining employees to stay autonomous though.
Bungie is a 100% owned SIE subsidiary that reports to the SIE CEO. They are not autonomous or independent at all, they just have creative freedom and continue publishing with their own publishing label in all platforms., that's all.

SIE paid 3.6 Billion dollars for having full control of Bungie, they bought it. Hermen can do whatever he wants with Bungie.

Bungie hired several hundred people since the acquisition, Marathon and The Final Shape got delayed and Lightfall got delayed to the point they were in the red, so SIE/Hermen did cut the fat accordingly to put some order there: moved some people to other SIE teams, moved one of their new projects to PS Studios and fired over 200 people including higher ups.

Last edited:

nial

Its not a playstation studios game though... since its not a first party sony owned developer...
Yes, it is. 'PlayStation Studios' is the name of the global game development division of SIE led by Hermen Hulst, it doesn't mean 'studios owned by Sony'.
IPgG41b.png

and the crazies is anybody that has input on their games and can make the decisions that sony studios have been making, not necessarily him.
That's literally how it works as a whole, they have Internal Production and External Production groups, and the SIE producers working on all these games. But the thing is that they all report to Hulst.
Do you really think sony had imput on rise of the ronin or final fantasy remake ?
Final Fantasy VII Remake? Of course not, since that's a Square Enix produced game. Rise of the Ronin? Yes, it's a Sony produced game, see pic above.
Second/third party games dont work like that most of the time.
You just have no idea of what you're talking about. But even if second-party games were indeed a thing, they would still fall under PlayStation Studios.

ReBurn

Gold Member
What "is known" about the acquisition conditions was mostly what people convinced themselves must be true. The moment Sony closed the deal they completely owned Bungie. There was no contract condition that made that not true. Bungie remaining independent was always the call of Sony management.

The only thing contractual that could have possibly been a stumbling block would be if Sony had retention agreements with members of Bungie's leadership or its directors that would have resulted in Sony having to pay those individuals money if Sony didn't hold up their end of those agreements. But those wouldn't have prevented Sony from taking control, they would just be a cost Sony had to pay.

Last edited:
I remember these guys having a fan base not only on console but PC as well especially with Combat Evolve back then. In my opinion they would of been better off stepping up to the plate by managing themselves and not compromising with a publisher when they had the opportunity like a lot of developers had back then to be independent and leverage the web. All that talent and time just absolutely wasted. All these developers we grew up with are getting crushed by publishers and platforms because none of them wanted to step up, y’all developers should of used the web.
I think it's a case of becoming too big and having less options because of that. You know coming off Halo 3 they were top 3 developers in the world, they then did Reach and ODST I believe in that order and that was their Halo swansong and they once again gained their independence.

Destiny was meant to be an even better game than Halo but I don't think it ever attained those highs set by Halo 3 (neither did Halo though). I think the Activision partnership was a bad move in the wrong direction and Sony was the final nail in the coffin of the Bungie that set the world on fire with Halo CE.

anthony2690

Yes, because they reported to Jim Ryan, and now they report to Hermen Hulst once he became the Studio Business Group CEO in June.
Jeff Grubb, once again, knows nothing new.
This is genuinely tiresome at this point.
Grubb has proven himself time and time again, aslong as he doesn't say he speculates his info turns out to be very accurate.

It just feels like when he says something people don't like the sound off, they claim he knows nothing, it's really odd, especially when he probably has one of the best track records.

Bernardougf

Yes, it is. 'PlayStation Studios' is the name of the global game development division of SIE led by Hermen Hulst, it doesn't mean 'studios owned by Sony'.
IPgG41b.png

That's literally how it works as a whole, they have Internal Production and External Production groups, and the SIE producers working on all these games. But the thing is that they all report to Hulst.

Final Fantasy VII Remake? Of course not, since that's a Square Enix produced game. Rise of the Ronin? Yes, it's a Sony produced game, see pic above.

You just have no idea of what you're talking about. But even if second-party games were indeed a thing, they would still fall under PlayStation Studios.
Second party is a thing.. if there is a first and a third.. must exist a second right genius ? And thats exactly what they are int his case a second party studio doing a first party/second party game whatever your bias choose.. they are not studios owned by sony and they are not part of the playstation first party studios. As the imput Sony can make I cant proove nothing and neither can you, so we will agree on disagree on this matter. I think sony has much less imput and influence on studios they dont own, you can think differently at your will.

Last edited:
The more Sony invests in live service games and studios, the more it seems like they don’t want to be in the live service business.

I’m surprised that bungie didn’t have a clause letting themselves break up like they did with Microsoft.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

What "is known" about the acquisition conditions was mostly what people convinced themselves must be true. The moment Sony closed the deal they completely owned Bungie. There was no contract condition that made that not true. Bungie remaining independent was always the call of Sony management.

The only thing contractual that could have possibly been a stumbling block would be if Sony had retention agreements with members of Bungie's leadership or its directors that would have resulted in Sony having to pay those individuals money if Sony didn't hold up their end of those agreements. But those wouldn't have prevented Sony from taking control, they would just be a cost Sony had to pay.
So what you are saying is that Phil spencer could have made minecraft exclusive anytime he wanted... even though is known that their acquisition contract dosent permit that and there is even an email that he specifically says he "needed/wanted to find a way to make minecraft exclusive but couldn't" .... well.. since I dont have access to bungie contract.. is what they/sony said against what you and other gaf experts said ... right know ill believe in them.

Bungie and Destiny needs saving from themselves.

Herman knows how to run and grow a studio and having been a part of PS through its apocalyptic expansion, there's no doubt he knows how to refocus a studio to start making stuff that people want to play again.

Bungie's studio setup was very non-Playstation. It kinda worked for them for a while after the shitshow of their relationship with Activision, but Bungie being Bungie returned to their normal mess of being completely oblivious to what their customers want, and instead they insisted on pushing political propaganda while farting out aborted pieces of rehashed content that you paid for, they removed, and then brought back with a shiny new coat of paint asking you to cough up again for.

nial

This is genuinely tiresome at this point.
Grubb has proven himself time and time again, aslong as he doesn't say he speculates his info turns out to be very accurate.

It just feels like when he says something people don't like the sound off, they claim he knows nothing, it's really odd, especially when he probably has one of the best track records.
It's not that I don't like to hear what he's saying, it's just that nothing about it sounds convincing, or rather, like something that no one else can figure out with the info we already have.
Second party is a thing.. if there is a first and a third.. must exist a second right genius ?
Extremely sound logic right there.
As the imput Sony can make I cant proove nothing and neither can you, so we will agree on disagree on this matter. I think sony has much less imput and influence on studios they dont own, you can think differently at your will.
I mean, there is absolutely nothing suggesting that Hulst had less input on Stellar Blade over something like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. The only thing we know for sure is that both are PlayStation Studios produced games.
I don't know why there's always some sort of coping regarding this situation, it's like people don't want to admit that the narrative of Hermen Hulst pushing for ugly women in Sony first-party games is completely wrong in every single aspect.

ReBurn

Gold Member
So what you are saying is that Phil spencer could have made minecraft exclusive anytime he wanted... even though is known that their acquisition contract dosent permit that and there is even an email that he specifically says he "needed/wanted to find a way to make minecraft exclusive but couldn't" .... well.. since I dont have access to bungie contract.. is what they/sony said against what you and other gaf experts said ... right know ill believe in them.
I don't know what Phil Spencer, Minecraft, or exclusivity has to do with this.

Purchase contracts do not restrict the buyer from exercising ownership rights over the things that they purchase. A better analogy would be you buying a house and the previous owner suing you because you painted it a different color than they wanted it to be. They can't win because they no longer own the house.

The moment Bungie's board and leadership executed the contract to sell they no longer owned controlling interest in Bungie. Bungie as a legal entity fully belonged to Sony. They may have had some equity stake in merged company, such as Sony shares, or they may have had financial parachutes if Sony took over under certain conditions, but there was no longer a separate Bungie legal entity to enforce a contract dispute against Sony.

What are you proposing Bungie could have done based on these mythical contract stipulations?

ZehDon

Reads like Bungie bet the farm on being able to make huge profits off of Destiny 2 after the acquisition and came up snake eyes. After their split from Microsoft, they were run like they couldn't fail - even after failing again, and again, and again. I guess nothing lasts forever.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Reads like Bungie bet the farm on being able to make huge profits off of Destiny 2 after the acquisition and came up snake eyes. After their split from Microsoft, they were run like they couldn't fail - even after failing again, and again, and again. I guess nothing lasts forever.
Bungie was short-sighted to think they could eat just off of Destiny 2 (comfortably) for this long.

They could have easily put out another project by now that wasn't Marathon. You don't need that many devs for that long just for One looter shooter game and it's DLC updates.

I think it's a case of becoming too big and having less options because of that. You know coming off Halo 3 they were top 3 developers in the world, they then did Reach and ODST I believe in that order and that was their Halo swansong and they once again gained their independence.

Destiny was meant to be an even better game than Halo but I don't think it ever attained those highs set by Halo 3 (neither did Halo though). I think the Activision partnership was a bad move in the wrong direction and Sony was the final nail in the coffin of the Bungie that set the world on fire with Halo CE.
Negotiator101, I don’t feel Bungie becoming too big was the problem at all. You even got posters in here using COVID as an excuse for why Bungie is ass today. The truth is probably that Bungie isn’t pulling in no where near the numbers that they use too. That prestige mystique Bungie had is entirely nonexistent today, now these guys have to actually work and earn they keep.

Also, with that reduction in staff how are they even going to meet the needs to produce enough content moving forward if they needed that many people to work on the previous content? Are they abandoning Destiny and moving on to another project?

Shin-Ra

I’d like a Bungie game like Halo CE, 90% focus on the wide-linear single-player and co-op/splitscreen campaign part with a (10%) simple, traditional arena multiplayer reusing environment pieces from the main game. No open-world, no years of expansions and other GaaS bullshit. Remember how to complete a fully self-contained game.

Use classic or new Bungie IP, no Killzone or Horizon expansion. Decima’s the only thing they should be sharing with Guerrilla, if anything.

Bungie was short-sighted to think they could eat just off of Destiny 2 (comfortably) for this long.

They could have easily put out another project by now that wasn't Marathon. You don't need that many devs for that long just for One looter shooter game and it's DLC updates.
They headcount wasn’t even that crazy though, in 2024 that seems expected honestly. Check out some other developers that have way more employees that I imagine is arguably needed to produce content today. I also imagine Bungie probably couldn’t figure out a way to timely transition their staff to their next project; It doesn’t help that Destiny probably wasn’t even generating those numbers man.

Top Bottom