• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Hermen Hulst get the axe for Concord?

will he?

• yes, and he should

Votes: 150 29.5%
  • yes, but he shouldn't

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • no, but he should

Votes: 273 53.6%
  • no, and he shouldn't

Votes: 85 16.7%

• Total voters

mdkirby

the idea that hulst continues to push the idea that horizon's success is all about the series wonderful star, aloy, & not so much its ingenious, bad-ass robotic menagerie, the thing that elevates it into something genuinely 'unique' (which aloy absolutely, positively does not), is just an embarrassingly transparent attempt at marketing a character that, in-game, is deeply unlikable, self-absorbed, & obnoxious...

guerrilla could've stuck the clerk at your local 7-11 in a game with that menagerie/setting/gameplay & it would've been equally successful...
Yah, it’s wild how much Aloy annoys me. She is so unlikeable, every interaction she has seems disingenuous. I don’t recall it being so apparent in the first game, which also had a much better story, was a great game. Second game the magic was gone, they made her even more centre stage and massively ramped up dialogue etc (which I’d normally like), but also made her 10x more insufferable. I’d like to see the lead character changed. If it still needs to be a female, I’d much rather play as Zo, she was much more likeable…or an ancient archeology spin off where you play as those jolly archeologists.

midnightAI

Yah, it’s wild how much Aloy annoys me. She is so unlikeable, every interaction she has seems disingenuous. I don’t recall it being so apparent in the first game, which also had a much better story, was a great game. Second game the magic was gone, they made her even more centre stage and massively ramped up dialogue etc (which I’d normally like), but also made her 10x more insufferable. I’d like to see the lead character changed. If it still needs to be a female, I’d much rather play as Zo, she was much more likeable…or an ancient archeology spin off where you play as those jolly archeologists.
While I don't have the same issues as you (I think FW is the much better game, I care more about gameplay than story and in that aspect FW is the clear winner in my mind) it wouldn't surprise me if they finish off the trilogy with Aloy and then do a different story in the Horizon universe with different characters.

I haven't played FW but after+100 hours of Zero Dawn I barely know anything about Aloy's personality. Like Rey from Star Wars or Kassandra from Odyssey, she's a blank avatar that represents a "class" rather than an actual person. It's the blandest kind of character and only a dumbass would try to elevate her to heights where she doesn't belong.

mdkirby

While I don't have the same issues as you (I think FW is the much better game, I care more about gameplay than story and in that aspect FW is the clear winner in my mind) it wouldn't surprise me if they finish off the trilogy with Aloy and then do a different story in the Horizon universe with different characters.
Fair, I’m a story first gamer usually. Play a lot of walking sims etc, and I never replay games once the story is done. I can forgive janky or overly simplistic gameplay if it tells a good story and invests me in the world/lore. Where as it hard to stick with something even if it has good gameplay if the story/world/characters aren’t gripping me.

The actual method of story telling and polish was far more polished and high level in FW, but the content of the story was less interesting/gripping and the characters much more grating. So yeah it was a fail for me, sadly, still made it maybe 89/90% through, but couldn’t be arsed to finish it…quite rare for me.

Edit: something specific I found was every interaction aloy had, it felt like she was smiling and talking through gritted teeth and a clenched jaw, like she was constantly thinking “just shut up I don’t wanna spend another second talking with you”, it was full of overly pleasant meh dialogue, always felt insufferably and poorly written. Which given it had the best performance Capture and fleshed out side quests was a real shame.

Last edited:

nial

What should clue people in is the instances they aren't involved at all. Prisma Illya, seemingly Fate/Extra Record, etc. But that would require people to actually be interested in the franchise beyond FGO.
The fact that FSN in 2004 was produced by Notes (TYPE-MOON) on its own should be enough of a clue for anyone who actually pays attention.

nial

the idea that hulst continues to push the idea that horizon's success is all about the series wonderful star, aloy, & not so much its ingenious, bad-ass robotic menagerie, the thing that elevates it into something genuinely 'unique' (which aloy absolutely, positively does not), is just an embarrassingly transparent attempt at marketing a character that, in-game, is deeply unlikable, self-absorbed, & obnoxious...
Uh, no? Kinda disingenuous to say that when things like these exist, none of which focus on Aloy.
D4oNyGo.jpeg

2xeuU1X.jpeg

Uh, no? Kinda disingenuous to say that when things like these exist, none of which focus on Aloy.
D4oNyGo.jpeg

2xeuU1X.jpeg
wait a minute! how many 'plastic model women kits' have you spotted in the wild? i'm thinking this's somewhat product-related? (i can see her in that second one, so she hasn't been completely neglected)...

GHound

The fact that FSN in 2004 was produced by Notes (TYPE-MOON) on its own should be enough of a clue for anyone who actually pays attention.
The majority of people have definitely never touched or even looked at the VN. Really unfortunate, can't even imagine my first exposure to the series being anything else.

Raven117

The decision making needs to go back to Japan.

Without it… Sony makes the same mistakes as Microsoft. With it… it gives people the games and company that fans liked about the company to begin with.

Top Bottom