• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jennifer Lawrence: "I won't be Mystique in the X-Men movies"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Depends, how old are you?

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

That's an...interesting framing of the situation

As if Fox made her role in the story bigger only to throw her a bone, not because she's one of the biggest stars in Hollywood and having a larger role for her is a surefire way to boost attention to the X-Men series

I mean thats a given,

Apt101

She was alright, but I wish Fox would lose the rights so we'd get a Mystique more like her 2003 - 2005 series, which was spectacular. Lawrence's take was too whiney.

Cheerilee

Mystique was a trash character in the first X-Men movie. She had none of Mystique's mystique, and the only thing she had was Rebecca Romijn in nude bodypaint, because apparently that's someone's fetish.

Jennifer Lawrence was "okay" in X-Men First Class, but I don't know why she was there at all. They made no attempt to fix the character, they only sent it farther off the rails. I suspect the only reason she was there was so that Bryan Singer could put younger girls into nude bodypaint, because he's a bisexual pedophile.

Then Lawrence appeared in the Hunger Games and became a massive box office draw, and won an Academy Award for Silver Linings Playbook. And Fox proclaimed "Yay! We have an Academy Award-winning massive box office draw tied down to a three movie contract! Never allow her to leave." and she became the pointless central figure of the franchise (which makes no sense but what else is new?) while being obviously displeased and phoning in her performance.

I like Jennifer Lawrence fine enough (if you ignore the reports that she's not a very nice person), but she was a terrible Mystique and I hope she stays far away from the role. Maybe if Marvel gets Mystique's character rights back somehow and casts Jennifer Lawrence in Guardians of the Galaxy as a comic-accurate Mystique, and she's excited about the prospect so she brings her "A" game, but that seems like a ridiculous level of wishful thinking.

That has to be the absolute worst subtitle for a movie ever. What the fuck does it even mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpUVnyKvrWI

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm sure she could play Mystique just fine if she were motivated to. Wasn't she stuck doing Mystique because she signed a deal for a bunch of movies before she blew up?
Doesn't make her performance in the X-Men movies any better.

CloudWolf

This is just because Marvel would probably pay her more and go for the CGI solution instead of skinpaint. She has been pretty vocal about hating playing Mystique before.

Blaming JLaw for Singer's weird fixation on Mystique and the scripts in his X-Men movies

0a2c044d22cfdff1c9f40284af62a907.gif
But she kinda is to blame? She was by far the most popular and renowned actress in those films (after Stewart and McKellan of course), it makes sense that they would heavily push her character because Fox got her cheap (she signed her contract before The Hunger Games and her Oscar).

Incidentally, that's also why she was constantly knocking on Fox after she got popular. She hated the skinpaint and was annoyed that she wasn't paid as much as Fassbender and McAvoy, even though she agreed to all that in the past and the fact that she is highly likely to be one of the most highly paid actresses in Hollywood right now.

I'm not blaming JLaw at all. I think she's a perfectly fine and have nothing against her, I think she did some really good work in stuff like Silver Linings Playbook.

The problem was entirely on the studio's side. She's a perfectly fine secondary character in X-Men First Class, but was then elevated to "basically the protagonist" in every film thereafter simply because of her star power, even if the character itself had very little to do with the storylines they were depicting.

It seemed like Fox and co. completely forgot the fact that she's a villain. She's almost exclusively depicted as one of the good guys in the films she's in, and while the constant push-and-pull with Magneto sometimes being a villain and sometimes not, the same can't be said for Mystique. I would forgive it if they had even hinted at some kind of overarching arc where she slowly turns to back Magneto and follow his cause, but nope, she's basically Xavier Jr.

And, once again, it's exclusively because it's JLaw depicting her and the star power she brought. So my dislike for the character hasn't anything to do with JLaw as an actress, it's how the studio reacted to her. Had they actually written her arc properly I wouldn't have had an issue with her in the films, but unfortunately they refused to.

CloudWolf

There's definitely hate towards JLaw and not just mystique despite some acting like it's the other way around.
For me it's the fact that she's acting all "quirky and relatable", while she's actually a pretty awful person probably. Her acting is often fine, but I can't endorse that "sacred rock" story and the fact that she whined about her pay and when she got flak, tried to spin it to "equal pay for women" despite her still earning shittons of money and it making sense that she got paid less than McAvoy and Fassbender at the time because they were bigger stars back then.

And the world stayed the same. Everyone knows her acting ability and portrayal of mystique wasn't what kept her on. A shitty director and success with hunger games kept her there. Good riddance but st the same time Singer has already put me off the franchise with the direction he's taken the franchise.

The Kree

Banned
Blaming JLaw for Singer's weird fixation on Mystique and the scripts in his X-Men movies

0a2c044d22cfdff1c9f40284af62a907.gif

Got it backwards. She was cast when she was still a nobody. Then she won 7 million Oscars. Then they leveraged her newfound popularity. But she doesn't seem that into the role.

Carcetti

Lawrence is like the 50th most terrible thing in the X-Men movies. They should've just nailed that coffin shut after the 2nd movie and we might actually have decent X-Men movies by this point. But no, noooo, couldn't do that.

liquidtmd

Banned
J-Law has got quite a lot of money, power and influence at a relatively early age. She's good looking, seems to do what she wants now and doesn't seem that afraid in interview of pissing people off. You don't get to that position without pissing off people generally so at this point she probably thinks 'people are going to get wound up by me regardless'

I like her. Who she is as a person doesn't really bother me that much. Agree with many here that the problem of her in the X-Men were down to the studio. Fox were desperately trying to keep the X-Men in the limelight as it's one of the few Marvel properties they can keep hostage so trying to force her popularity and critical acclaim into the franchise I understand if not agree with.

She's probably wanting in on GOTG because she's friends with Pratt. It won't lead to anything so don't understand the furore.

dbztrk

Keep this bitch away from the MCU! I cannot stand her fake try hard ass.

Marvel if you are listening, do not give her anything in the MCU!

deleted

I think a lot of GAF turned on her when she berated a foreign reporter for reading a question off of his phone:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F_zja9pepgU

Yep, that was the thing for me. Plus the phoned in acting in the last few X-Men movies combined with interviews that showed that it's not because she couldn't do better, but because she looks down on the movies and saw it as annoying to do them.

She's getting paid millions to be a professional. So be a professional - she's not Marlon Brando.
If Fassbender and McAvoy would act and behave like this - the X-Men movies would have been horrible.

I don't mind her not being involved anymore.

She had a good run, front and center in the X-Men films, loads of money.

Yet she still wants involvement. I don't even not like her, just totally indifferent, but enough is enough.

I'm not even a fan of most of the X-Men films but I kind of hate it when people are rude towards something that has benefited them massively. Be respectful to those that made the films and the fans.

Busty

Banned
Pffft. What a load of PR white noise.

It's almost as if she's co-starring in a film with the chap from GOTG and it's not tracking that great.

Naaaahhh.

That can't be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom