• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jennifer Lawrence: "I won't be Mystique in the X-Men movies"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

The turn on Jennifer Lawrence over the last couple years has been amazing. I mean, yeah she completely phoned it in post First Class with these movies and clearly hasn't given a shit since then where she was still fairly unknown and "hungry" but still, it's been amazing.

Some of it is that. Some of it is the fact that she has gotten a pretty inordinate amount of prestige thrown her way in a short amount of time for roles that weren't necessarily spectacular.

I was happy that she was recognized for Winter's Bone, and was fine with her winning for Silver Linings. I don't really see why she was nominated for American Hustle though, and from what I have heard, Joy is the same. I feel the same about Bradley Cooper's last two nominations. Maybe she's just well liked in Hollywood and that explains some of it, but it was a lot of exposure in a very short time.

I don't dislike Jennifer Lawrence, I just don't think she's really the top of her class in the way that Hollywood is trying to sell her.

EDIT: As for contractually obligated roles, I think people understand that these superhero roles are not the career highlights of most of the people taking them, but that doesn't excuse zero effort. Lots of actors in bad movies still do their best to sell their performances.

She played mystique?

Could have fooled me seeing as she was barely in makeup for those films.

I thought she was playing j law cosplaying as a x men most of the time.

It's all part of the cycle of life.

You love something or someone then you slowly get sick of them.

Happens on here with movies,music, sports comics, and people, usually females.

Nerds on the internet.

Aka nothing new.
Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Her Mystique is just that bad, and her star power meant that each movie just keep putting her Mystique further front and center.

Good riddance.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FORREAL! The critique of Storm has been that she was not as assertive as she should have been in the movies as leader of the Gold team (or was it Silver?).
Storm is supposed to be a model leader in the X-Men. Not just strong, but a mentor that is wise and intelligent. None of that in any of the film adaptations of her. Not enough character development in favour of focus on characters that nobody asked to see more of like Mystique, poor choice of actresses, poor writing, it's just a bad situation for the character.

X-Men has seemingly the majority of great female Marvel characters and Fox is squandering them all. It's a tragedy to see what they have done with SO many strong properties.

Her performance as Mystique was average and the choice to focus on it so deeply (due solely to her celebrity) damaged the X films.

pretty much, is not hating on her just for the sake of hating and im not a big xmen nerd either (more of a movie nerd in general) but jesus christ she just sucks for the role

Storm is supposed to be a model leader in the X-Men. Not just strong, but a mentor that is wise and intelligent. None of that in any of the film adaptations of her. Not enough character development in favour of focus on characters that nobody asked to see more of like Mystique, poor choice of actresses, poor writing, it's just a bad situation for the character.

X-Men has seemingly the majority of great female Marvel characters and Fox is squandering them all. It's a tragedy to see what they have done with SO many strong properties.

Preach.

I think the Mystique push was due to Rebecca Stamos being naked under the makeup. Sex appeal. Seems like the writers came to their senses when they realized the movies Target a general audience and tripped over themselves as they ruined precisely every female character in The X-Men universe.

Yes all of them. Don't make me remind you of McTaggart striptease. Hell even the female character that was made up for first class was recruited from a strip club!

kswiston

Yes all of them. Don't make me remind you of McTaggart striptease. Hell even the female character that was made up for first class was recruited from a strip club!

Not made up:

Angel_salvadore.jpg

People dont like JLaw because she seems ungrateful. Even with this little interview, she sounds like she's direspecting anyone that ever liked her in the Mystique role. I guess they were just wasting their time

Hey, why does everyone hates Jeniffer now? I thought we liked her :(

She comes off really badly in these interviews.
She hits it big so she suddenly doesn't give a crap about her side role in X-Men.
Fine, Fox goes out of the way to make her way more important than she should be and she still doesn't give a damn and talks down about it.

No beef with JLaw but Mystique along with her acting was 100% trash. Not sure why this is turning into a fight thread. All of XMen OT threads were pretty vocal about it. The celebration is no surprise.

Well, I don't blame her. The dialogue she had in X-Men Apocalypse was pretty horrific. She's a great actor, but not much can help the corny ass direction they had taken her character in. The mother of the mutants or whatever.. Cringe. She is probably just a fan of Guardians of the Galaxy and doesn't really understand the marvel universe that well. She's just expressing her interest in the movies.

J_Viper

People say she phoned it in during DoFP and Apoc, but it's First Class where she's at her worst.

Anyway, yeah, good riddance

People say she phoned it in during DoFP and Apoc, but it's First Class where she's at her worst.

Anyway, yeah, good riddance

In fairness, First Class had Emma Frost to deflect bad acting criticisms. And a number of her scenes were with Hoult who wasn't much better in the movie.

I think we could just get away from Mystique as a character altogether at this point. Pick another lady X-Men character to use.

Ivan 3414

She comes off really badly in these interviews.
She hits it big so she suddenly doesn't give a crap about her side role in X-Men.
Fine, Fox goes out of the way to make her way more important than she should be and she still doesn't give a damn and talks down about it.

That's an...interesting framing of the situation

As if Fox made her role in the story bigger only to throw her a bone, not because she's one of the biggest stars in Hollywood and having a larger role for her is a surefire way to boost attention to the X-Men series

Yay!

I actually really liked Apocolypse. Not the Mystique parts, mind you.

wait wait

WAIT

What did she even do in that movie? I already completely forgot (along with the rest of the movie). Mostly because she was just "hey I'm here for my paycheck, don't expect me to wear that blue shit". Don't think I've seen that kind of blatant disregard for a movie's fictional rules from an actor recently either. Not that I really agree with 'butt naked lady with paint because comics' either, but it really stood out in Apocalypse that they shot the movie around that obstacle, whereas DofP still had a director's free reign. Or that's what that looked like.

Yeah, she won't be missed as that character.

Sanctuary

I like her.

Her mystique is awful tho.

Yep, although the movie version of Mystique was never good when Romijn-Stamos did it either. The blue chameleon shit was just utterly ridiculous looking. I get that they were probably trying to go for something pseudo-plausible, but it just looks so damn bad.

Mystique in comics was almost Nightcrawler's father

She did up being in a 80 year relationship with a woman

What? Is this some typical Marvel retconning of established characters to remain "edgy" or something? I stopped reading after "Erik" Lehnsherr was magically retconned to "Max", which wasn't too terribly long after "Logan" became "James" in Origins. For pretty much always it was rumored that Mystique and Azazel were the parents of Nightcrawler until it was confirmed.

Slayven

Yep, although the movie version of Mystique was never good when Romijn-Stamos did it either. The blue chameleon shit was just utterly ridiculous looking. I get that they were probably trying to go for something pseudo-plausible, but it just looks so damn bad.

What? Is this some typical Marvel retconning of established characters to remain "edgy" or something? I stopped reading after "Erik" Lehnsherr was magically retconned to "Max", which wasn't too terribly long after "Logan" became "James" in Origins. For pretty much always it was rumored that Mystique and Azazel were the parents of Nightcrawler until it was confirmed.
No, in the 80s they seriously considered having Mystique fathering Nightcrawler in Destiny. Better origin then what he got. But then again he was going to be an alien anyway before DC comics rejected him.

Thats right Nightcrawler and Storm was rejected concepts from DC

Izuna

Banned
wait wait

WAIT

What did she even do in that movie? I already completely forgot (along with the rest of the movie). Mostly because she was just "hey I'm here for my paycheck, don't expect me to wear that blue shit". Don't think I've seen that kind of blatant disregard for a movie's fictional rules from an actor recently either. Not that I really agree with 'butt naked lady with paint because comics' either, but it really stood out in Apocalypse that they shot the movie around that obstacle, whereas DofP still had a director's free reign. Or that's what that looked like.

Yeah, she won't be missed as that character.

She was basically the hero of the story. Yeah, I didn't focus on those parts either.

Azazel didn't even exist until the storyline that revealed him being Nightcrawler's father, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The hinting was always about Mystique being Nightcrawler's parent without confirming it for years. Chris Claremont's original idea (that he never wound up getting into the book) was that Mystique would actually be his father, rather than the expected mother (since she can change genders when she transforms), with Destiny being the mother. This never wound up getting published, so we wound up with the whole Azazel storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom