• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jennifer Lawrence on why she's returning for 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix'

Just when I thought my expectations for this movie couldn't go any lower, of course it turns out Mystique is going to be in it.

Watch her "save" Jean from the Phoenix with one of her boring speeches, while Cyclops is knocked out in a corner somewhere.

Yager

Banned
giphy.webp

67079c9ad8a51ea8fe6102189f3a9d2fd6b2c054_hq.gif

MC_Hify

She'll be blue. Apparently for the last movie they used a blue bodysuit instead of the makeup; which she was allergic to.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Real answer is she needs a big money win. She has an Oscar, so she'll always get work. But that final Hunger Games movie performed way under Catching Fire and Mockingjay Part 1, X-Men Apocalypse underperformed, and Passengers was a weak outing for a Pratt/Lawrence vehicle. She needs a huge box office win to justify her high asking price.

jelly

Surprised Fox brought her back. Is she really the main reason for bums on seats, they could have recast.

X-Men - Mystique

New title.

Are Fassbender and McAvoy in this too, if they aren't that's about the only reason to do this, a headline name.

JABEE

Jennifer Lawrence fans expect her to be down-to-earth and charming. This recent development is disconcerting.

numble

Real answer is she needs a big money win. She has an Oscar, so she'll always get work. But that final Hunger Games movie performed way under Catching Fire and Mockingjay Part 1, X-Men Apocalypse underperformed, and Passengers was a weak outing for a Pratt/Lawrence vehicle. She needs a huge box office win to justify her high asking price.

No, the real answer is that she and her co-stars got paid peanuts for their trilogy where they were contracted for 3 movies. Since the 3-movie deal is up, they are doing the 4th movie since they can negotiate a higher payday for it. An ensemble movie with a big payday is a pretty good gig, the screen time is split among all the cast and special effects, so they are getting much more money for less work.

duckroll

Jennifer Lawrence fans expect her to be down-to-earth and charming. This recent development is disconcerting.

She doesn't have fans, she has zombified groupies. To only way to like her in any way is to brainwash yourself to ignore her pompous self entitled personality.

numble

Found this neat IMDB link, X-Men characters by screentime per movie, not sure how accurate it is:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls072544477/

Mystique:
X-MEN: APOCALYPSE <17:45>

Magneto:
X-MEN: APOCALYPSE <17:45>

Charles Xavier:
X-MEN: APOCALYPSE <22:15>

So it should be a pretty big payday for less than 24 minutes of screen time.

No, the real answer is that she and her co-stars got paid peanuts for their trilogy where they were contracted for 3 movies. Since the 3-movie deal is up, they are doing the 4th movie since they can negotiate a higher payday for it. An ensemble movie with a big payday is a pretty good gig, the screen time is split among all the cast and special effects, so they are getting much more money for less work.

The studio must be pretty confident in increased financial success giving bigger pay outs to the stars. Probably they just ran the numbers and they still make a projected profit regardless and that's better than nothing.

Mr. Sam

I could forgive them warping the X-Men universe to accommodate a big name actor if a) the resulting story was compelling and/or b) said actor gave a solitary shit. The way Mystique's been used since First Class has been awful, and Lawrence doesn't seem to have cared since the start. Unfortunate.

Chuckie

X-Men: Origins is 107 minutes long (presumably including credits). Even after having purged almost all memory of it, I somehow doubt he is only in the movie for 51 minutes.

It sounds credible to me. 51 minutes is actually pretty long.

Seesaw15

X-Men: Origins is 107 minutes long (presumably including credits). Even after having purged almost all memory of it, I somehow doubt he is only in the movie for 51 minutes.

I mean we got scenes with baby Logan and scenes with villains talking. Adds up I guess.

numble

The studio must be pretty confident in increased financial success giving bigger pay outs to the stars. Probably they just ran the numbers and they still make a projected profit regardless and that's better than nothing.

I don't think they are confident in increased financial success but like you said they are maybe confident in making a profit. It seems to be common practice to pay actors more to do sequels even though it is not common for sequels (especially a 4th installment) to make much more money.

DeathyBoy

Banned

There's entire sequences he's not involved in. I can believe it.

Jennifer Lawrence is wealthy enough and in-demand enough that she didn't even need to do this for the money. I can't imagine why she would want to spend her early mornings getting blue, then up to 12 hours on set for a physically demanding part. She could just do David O Russell movies for the rest of her career if she wanted, probably pick up a handful of acting awards in the meantime.

Dysun

Her character is a giant misfire in the semi-rebooted timeline. I guess FOX is banking on her bringing in the audience, which she wont

Seesaw15

Jennifer Lawrence is wealthy enough and in-demand enough that she didn't even need to do this for the money. I can't imagine why she would want to spend her early mornings getting blue, then up to 12 hours on set for a physically demanding part. She could just do David O Russell movies for the rest of her career if she wanted, probably pick up a handful of acting awards in the meantime.

That's never stopped anyone. She's probably getting a Passengers sized paycheck for about 15 minutes worth of screen time.

Maybe she wants to redeem her performance and get back on the fans' good side. Reading this thread there's a generally negative perception of the character and her acting in this series.

Maybe it isn't just about cash but repairing that perception. Hopefully it's a good script. Or she's just coming back to kill off the character in the first 5 minutes.

llien

I'm missing the plot here.
She didn't need to do "this".
What is "this"?
Being paid (very well) for doing her job?
But why not? Because some group didn't like her performance? Uh, so what?

She doesn't have fans, she has zombified groupies. To only way to like her in any way is to brainwash yourself to ignore her pompous self entitled personality.

I wish people would remember how subjective all that is.

I'm missing the plot here.
She didn't need to do "this".
What is "this"?
Being paid (very well) for doing her job?
But why not? Because some group didn't like her performance? Uh, so what?

I wish people would remember how subjective all that is.

The point is people here are laughing because she's weakly claiming to do this for artistic reasons when it's very clearly all about the $$$

Apocalypse was a mess and she was terrible in it. Really hope her role is more of a glorified cameo or at least a supporting character. Magneto and Charles are the best parts of these movies and the focus should stay on them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jennifer Lawrence returning is a good reason not to see the next X-Men movie. Making Mystique the protagonist of X-men is one of the biggest fucking head scratchers ever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
She should have used the similarity in names to quote Sir Laurence Olivier.

"People ask me why I'm playing in this picture. The answer is simple: Money, dear boy."

— Laurence Olivier, on his role in Inchon

CrunchyB

Mystique having more to do or having a different take on the character is not inherently a bad thing, but since said actress is again, phoning it in, it just annoys anyone that cares.

Yeah, exactly.

Take Hugh Jackman as Wolverine for instance. Jackman is a tall dude at 6'2" meters while Wolverine of the comics is a little runt of only 5'3". It's an important part of the character, same as the claws. But this height discrepancy is a total non-issue because Jackman gives a superb performance every single time. I think the fan base is fine with changes as long as we end up with a good movie.

Sophie Turner was also pretty bad in Apocalypse. As was the dude who played Cyclopse. The movie was junk, but I still sorta enjoyed it.

hotcyder

Maybe she just loves the X-Men Franchise and the character of Mystique; the shape-shifting metahuman that can take on a thousand faces but always chooses Jennifer Lawrence.

Top Bottom