• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
While dashing push forward then back really fast and your character will start skating backwards. That's what it wants.

jett

D-Member
Just curious, but is the tutorial glitched? I reached the one where you have have to push forward then back while dashing to do a turn-around or something, and it wouldn't give me the "OK." 20-something.

are you skating backwards? if you are not then you didn't do it right.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there more than one tutorial? The tutorial I went through got you the two other starting crew people, and didn't have skating backwards.

In fact last night I think I DID manage to skate backwards at some point, thought "Whoa that was awesome", and then could never figure out how I had managed it. =P

TheOGB

Banned
Is there more than one tutorial? The tutorial I went through got you the two other starting crew people, and didn't have skating backwards.

In fact last night I think I DID manage to skate backwards at some point, thought "Whoa that was awesome", and then could never figure out how I had managed it. =P
Yes, there's an actual tutorial mode on the main menu. what you described is just the beginning of the game.

Dammit, I already ruined my chance for the Detached achievement >.<

Sucks about the framerate cap being at 30. I don't know what it is about SEGA games with their hard FPS caps. Sonic Generations won't go above 60.

Tain

All you have to do is add a hex string in front of the jpg file with a hex editing software. I had a file with the text string when I used to edit tags on the dreamcast, but of course I can't find it now.

Tried prepending what seems to be the common bytes at the start of a custom spray, no go unfortunately

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Edit: wait, you're sad it doesn't go higher than 60?

It was advertised that it went up to 120hz for those high range monitors, but IIRC it was stuck at 60FPS either way.

Also, tried the demo for the 360 version today just to grab those two free gamerpics, and holy shit the sound quality is awful. The PC version is crisp and clean, the 360 version sounds poorly overdriven when certain characters (DJ Professor K) speaks. And the spray sound effect is incredibly low quality.

I wonder what the hell happened there.

It was advertised that it went up to 120hz for those high range monitors, but IIRC it was stuck at 60FPS either way.

Also, tried the demo for the 360 version today just to grab those two free gamerpics, and holy shit the sound quality is awful. The PC version is crisp and clean, the 360 version sounds poorly overdriven when certain characters (DJ Professor K) speaks. And the spray sound effect is incredibly low quality.

Other people have said this and I'm quite confused by it. I've got the 360 version and the sound was fine on my surround system last night.

Were you getting any sound skipping? Graphical hitching?

Because it's already known the console versions are very sensitive to hard drive fragmentation/activity.

The tiresome aspect is that you have to grab them and then beat the level or they don't save. So to get more time to get them without enemies, you have to play graffiti mode, in which you have to get all the red tags over the entire level. Spend too long trying to get some of the souls and you may not finish all the tags in time. >_<

If you have Technique mode unlocked, you can use that to collect them without having to beat the level. When the time runs out, you get to keep everything no matter what.

TheOGB

Banned
120hz monitor, bro
ah, okay, I misread at first

Yeah, this game is fucking loud, and I have my volume to the lowest setting. At least the soundtrack is amazing. :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Other people have said this and I'm quite confused by it. I've got the 360 version and the sound was fine on my surround system last night.

Were you getting any sound skipping? Graphical hitching?

Because it's already known the console versions are very sensitive to hard drive fragmentation/activity.

No skipping that I could hear, there was some pop in but nothing outrageous.

It's written the wrong way around. In order to do the turn around you need to push back then forward while dashing.

So start out pushing forwards to move, hit dash and then do backwards-forwards. If you do it right you end up skating backwards in the same direction you started.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to try it again in a bit.

TheOGB

Banned
I'm sure if they could've, Sega would've called this game "Fuck the Police: The Game"

seriously, these guys are assholes. tanks? really?

jett

D-Member
I had forgotten how fantastic the music is in this game. Between Double Dragon Neon and JSR HD, it's game audio heaven for me right now.

jett

D-Member
Stuck at three stages early on. Have absolutely no clue where the last tags are. Been stuck for a week.

What drives me insane is that i never had this problem when i beat it on DC.

Is it the level where you start at a half-pipe like area? Some cop cars block access to the place with the tag lol. I haven't figured how to reach there but it's best to do those tags first and be done with it, when the cops haven't yet arrived. Check your map for the exact location.

16YCF.jpg

What ya see is what ya get.

Ew, how do you even do tags with WASD?

Finishing the tutorial felt like conquering a boss in Dark Souls for me. Holy shit.

Fuck the tutorial :( What a pain in the ass. I'm glad to be done with it now, at least.

Subaru

I bought the PS3 version because went earlier and I must say: THIS IS HORRIBLE!
The game keeps freezing a LOT and the framerate is WORSE than the original.

C'mon SEGA, it's a fucking DREAMCAST game! =(

I think I'm gonna buy PC Version.
There's a way to ask for refund at PSN? I'm really mad.

====

Edit: The Steam version is good? Because I'm already VERY frustrated. This is one of my favorite games =/

Aaron

Tried prepending what seems to be the common bytes at the start of a custom spray, no go unfortunately
The custom sprays I used fitted into the download slots when you could pull tags off the internet. Those slots in the new game have a big B slapped over them, which I'm guessing replaces them with bonus tags. So the functionality I used to use has been cut out of the game, unfortunately. I played around a little with the slots for tags you make in the internal editor, but like you didn't have any luck.

Finishing the tutorial felt like conquering a boss in Dark Souls for me. Holy shit.

Fuck the tutorial :( What a pain in the ass. I'm glad to be done with it now, at least.

When it clicks, it clicks though. 21 tricks in a row... 23 tricks in a row... 19 tricks in a row...
LLShC.gif

124 tricks in a row.
KuGsj.gif

ezodagrom

Edit: The Steam version is good? Because I'm already VERY frustrated. This is one of my favorite games =/
It's locked at 30fps, but it runs smoothly in a wide range of PCs, it even runs smoothly in my 6 years old laptop (Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz, Mobility Radeon X1600). I think the only type of PCs made in the last years where the game might not run is PCs with old Intel GMA integrated graphics (a friend tried it in a netbook with an Intel Atom and Intel integrated graphics, Jet Set Radio doesn't run at all).

Does this have GFWL? I hope not.
Nope, it's Steamworks, SEGA's last GFWL game was Virtua Tennis 4. After VT4, all, or almost all SEGA games have been Steamworks.

Subaru

It's locked at 30fps, but it runs smoothly in a wide range of PCs, it even runs smoothly in my 6 years old laptop (Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz, Mobility Radeon X1600). I think the only type of PCs made in the last years where the game might not run is PCs with old Intel GMA integrated graphics (a friend tried it in a netbook with an Intel Atom and Intel integrated graphics, Jet Set Radio doesn't run at all).

Nope, it's Steamworks, SEGA's last GFWL game was Virtua Tennis 4. After VT4, all, or almost all SEGA games have been Steamworks.

Thanks a lot!
My pc is a good one, so I think I won't have any problem. =)

I'm downoading the Xbox 360 demo, let's see if it is good =P

That sucks. Zero problems so far with the 360 version. Smooth as silk!

UrbanRats

tagging the Noise Tanks was kind of a pain today, did it at the first try, sure, but got really frustrated at my dear Tab.
If anything i think the game is a bit too sensitive in terms of getting hit by things, i approached the Noise Tank, knowing he was about to start going in my direction, so i thought "i let him pass me and tag him right after" yet he baaaarely touches me, and i'm on the floor.. goddamnit it took me a while.

====

I would recommend deleting it from your PS3, and redownloading it. Chances are your PS3 hard drive is too fragmented, but its worth a shot to see if a new install works better.

You could also try reformatting your hard drive. The 360 version runs very nicely on my recently reformatted hard drive.

Just got to Grind Square, still loving the game and still no slow down on my PC. No idea why the controls are getting such a negative reception from some places.

tagging the Noise Tanks was kind of a pain today, did it at the first try, sure, but got really frustrated at my dear Tab.
If anything i think the game is a bit too sensitive in terms of getting hit by things, i approached the Noise Tank, knowing he was about to start going in my direction, so i thought "i let him pass me and tag him right after" yet he baaaarely touches me, and i'm on the floor.. goddamnit it took me a while.

Man, I was worried about that mission after watching the Giant Bomb quick look, but then I beat it (plus the Poison Jam and Love Shocker ones) on my first attempt. You get so much time that it was far easier than I expected.

I do agree that it can be a little frustrating that you get knocked over so easily, it annoyed me most when you're racing against Beat with Combo though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I do agree that it can be a little frustrating that you get knocked over so easily, it annoyed me most when you're racing against Beat with Combo though.
Now try racing Tab with ANYONE.

Ugh man, I gotta relearn my routes through the later levels. Getting those Jet Rankings is a bitch.
For real. I want to see some videos of Dovahkiin from the leaderboards just to get a clue as to WTF he's doing.

Subaru

I would recommend deleting it from your PS3, and redownloading it. Chances are your PS3 hard drive is too fragmented, but its worth a shot to see if a new install works better.

You could also try reformatting your hard drive. The 360 version runs very nicely on my recently reformatted hard drive.

That's strange, because I don't usually delete games...

And format my ps3 is a nightmare, i have a 500 gb drive inside =[

Atolm

Ok guys. I haven't followed the thread, but as some of you may know, I have a friend who worked on this (he did the trophy/achievements stuff and he knows the people at Blit well). He asked me to post this since he's waiting for account validation.

I've been talking to one of the developers that worked in the port and
commented about the game issues reported in this thread.

They are investigating the performance issues. As you already noticed,
it seems related to hard disk fragmentation and sound streaming having
high latency. It's usually tested on just formatted consoles, so it
didn't appear during testing.

About the sound quality. They are using the exact same masters
(uncompressed wave files) that were used to build the dreamcast
version (DeLaJet Set Radio) so stereo separation, volume... all is the
same. Professor K voices are saturated in the original master, so they
sound saturated. Maybe sound output is too loud, but that's all, it
doesn't have more saturation than the wave files.

The "reset to improve performance" issue seems weird to him too. Maybe
some steam component was updated and as he thinks steam must be called
every frame so it can draw its overlays, it was hogging the frame for
too long, but he doesn't know much about steam.

Ok guys. I haven't followed the thread, but as some of you may know, I have a friend who worked on this (he did the trophy/achievements stuff and he knows the people at Blit well). He asked me to post this since he's waiting for account validation.

That's nice to know they're at least talking about it. Hopefully they know that a lot of people are getting corrupted save files as well.

The hard drive explanation is rather silly. There are hundreds of other games out there that don't have issues with various hard drives, so they must have done something odd to allow this to happen on both consoles.

Top Bottom