• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

scitek

Is it a game from Japan? </sarcasm>

Talking about Nights, I wonder if they'll port the Saturn version or the PS/2 version? Dreamcast games have been ported before. Actual Saturn games... That's harder.

If I remember correctly, it has both a New Style and an Old Style? Was that in the PS/2 Version?

That's what I'm wondering. If it was remade for the PS2, it may be able to run at 60fps. If not, whatever.

Jump early, do not hold the jump button, then he will grind on the wall upon coming in contact with it (it seems automatic, but it is because you are holding RT, the real grind button), as he is still grinding the wall, press the jump button and he will jump off. He will actually jump off so hard you may need some practice to figure out how to not overshoot the rail.

Forgive the noob question, but what do you mean by RT being the real grind button?

I did a 197 trick combo in the tutorial and I only used RT once, right before I jumped on to the first rail to start the process. Am I doing something wrong?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Why did it say to press dash while jumping to get extra off a grind jump?

Dice

PS2 had old and new.

Extremely likely, yes. The PS2 remake was also still at 30.
You sure? That one looked like they were totally rebuilding everything in a new engine. I don't think it's emulated like this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It literally is just momentum and getting the "trick" of each gap to work. For instance: From the Car/Truck rail to the rail that has the phone booth in between, you have to come fast ("boost" button at the beginning of the rail) and do a wall jump on the billboard.

Now, the trick to do the two cabs/billboard grind all the way to the previously mentioned rail, you gotta come fast from the catwalk, jump directly into the billboard, wall-ride it, jump off of it, land on the rail after the cabs. If you did it right, you'll land on this rail near the end of it - enough that you can connect, grind a second and jump off near the endge. Then you'll be fast enough to cover the distance to the other rail.

With those two key moments, you can loop the entire stage and, if you don't make a mistake and slow down, you can do endless tricks. I got the 100 tricks achievement like that.

I guess I need to practice more. I start near the "wallride" billboard, jump on the rail going toward the stairs. Jump the gap, try to wallride the billboards near the cabs and... fail. :/

Tain

You sure? That one looked like they were totally rebuilding everything in a new engine. I don't think it's emulated like this.

I'm not sure if the upcoming NiGHTS release is a port of the PS2 version, I just assumed it was. If it's looking like that isn't the case, then I have no clue. I haven't been paying attention.

I am sure that the PS2 release runs at 30, though, if that's what you meant.

does this game let you make custom Graffiti? that was one thing that was so awesome about the original. And by custom, I mean use your own Jpegs as oppossed to paint some shit in game.

Why did it say to press dash while jumping to get extra off a grind jump?

You mean where is says "if you dash and jump while grinding then you'll do cool tricks" in the tutorial?

I think it's just poor wording and means if you dash to build momentum before jumping on to the rail to start a grind, then you'll do tricks when jumping during the grind (because you'll have enough speed).

I actually thought the same thing as you at first and started using RT all the time when jumping from grinds. But then I started to get the feeling it wasn't doing anything and went back to the tutorial and busted out that 197 combo without using RT at all. I became convinced it did nothing, then your post had me wondering again!

No, you can't use your own jpegs. It might be modded into the PC version at some point, however.

damn thats unfortunate....they should have made that an ability with the consoles being able to have pictures...and computers being computers.

before it was limited to having to upload it to the website then from there using it in game....but now we dont have that limitation. oh well

i forgot how fun it was trying to find those infinite grinds and then doing them.

jett

D-Member
OMG this game is now crashing every time I press start on the title screen. :/ Yes, I've rebooted and tried again ust in case. :p

How do you save? Same way as in JSRF?

In the Dreamcast version, after beating a stage Prof. K would come up and give you a spiel about the level you just beat, followed by a "Do you want to save?" message.

Here, "Do you want to save?" is removed and it just autosaves at those moments.

Teknoman

Ugh...forcing myself to wait for the Vita version. Handheld 100% accurate version of JSR is too good to spoil by going through the game twice.

Tain

Okay people, let's figure this out.

Your custom tags should be located here:

X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[Steam ID?]\205950\remote\save\0

Spray files have the same names as the DC original:

JETSET___SMA
JETSET___LAR
JETSET___XLA

So I found this Polish site that LOOKS like it's detailing the stored JSR custom spray format:

http://www.sega.private.pl/faqs/felieton_wlasne_grafitti_jet_set_radio.html

Am I crazy in thinking that the dude might be saying that the spray format is JPEG with different headers? I feel like I'm crazy but it would be nice to get confirmation.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Am I crazy in thinking that the dude might be saying that the spray format is JPEG with different headers? I feel like I'm crazy but it would be nice to get confirmation.

That's pretty much what it says, from reading it with Google Translate.

I'll do some file comparisons tomorrow, but I'm sure somebody will have come up with it by then.

Edit: just quickly copy and pasting like the text says doesn't work. Maybe the file you download from the web, converted, is a .JPG, but the game itself makes the changes. More than I am capable of (at least at 4AM) would have to be looked into.

It probably can be done.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, I didn't have to restart my computer, 30fps works fine.

Downside, on the first level I ran out of time and the game completely locked up. I think someone else mentioned the same problem. I guess the solution is to never run out of time. :X

haikira

It's in the Steam top 10! #7 atm.

This, plus the hype coming back to the thread, makes me very happy.

Loving this on the PC and have also double dipped on the PS3. May even triple dip on the vita, depending on impressions. I've done my work Sega, you better bring JSRF.

batfax

It should run perfectly fine. Just spent six hours playing the game (with a 360 pad) with less power than that and didn't run into any hiccups I can remember.

Just downloaded the trial on 360. Yay for getting two gamer pics! <3

The game is as brilliant as I remember it to be all those years ago. It's aged really nicely, and the port seems great.

The only problem is I was set on getting it on the Vita but now I'm not sure. 360 or Vita? HAAAAAAAAAAAAALP GAF!

RpgN

So yesterday I got to try the PS3 version of the demo, while it looked sharper and more vibrant, the performance was terrible. Not sure what it is, but the game kept stuttering, like freezing for a second with everything, it also affected music and gameplay. Is that meant to happen? The Vita version better not have this, or else no sale :(

I was hoping it would run smoothly without any technical problems.

since Dreamcast American jet grind radio players didnt get the Jurassic 5 improvise song playing during the Combo/Cube episode skits, what got replaced with it?

Suzzopher

So yesterday I got to try the PS3 version of the demo, while it looked sharper and more vibrant, the performance was terrible. Not sure what it is, but the game kept stuttering, like freezing for a second with everything, it also affected music and gameplay. Is that meant to happen? The Vita version better not have this, or else no sale :(

This was happening to me too.

Dice

I want to love Mew but whenever she lands from anything remotely high she crouches for like 7 minutes.

Pietepiet

We talked about this earlier in the thread. Seems to be an issue with fragmented harddrives. I'm playing on PS3 and not having any problems, but others had the same issues you are having.

We talked about this earlier in the thread. Seems to be an issue with fragmented harddrives. I'm playing on PS3 and not having any problems, but others had the same issues you are having.

Yeah. I would recommend any PS3 users having this problem delete the game and redownload it. There is a chance that the new download could behave differently.

I also came upon one oddity while playng the 360 version last night. I saw no framerate issues during that hour, however, when I pulled up my friends list at one point and scrolled through my friends list, the game's audio would stutter a little bit as it continued to play in the background. The faster I scrolled through my friends list, the more noticeable it became. Very strange problem, but it told me that for whatever reason this game is very sensitive to hard drive activity, because as I scroll my friends list, the gamer pics are being loaded in and out of memory quickly. I've never seen this be a problem with any other game, but this one must have something strange going on where it really doesn't like hard drive activity. Therefore, I would also suspect that anyone playing this game with a game downloading in the background might be experiencing issues in game as well, but not realize that is the cause.

Hmm, the reports of the PS3 version being inferior to the 360 version has me a bit worried for the Vita version....

Might just bite and go for the 360 version. Waiting is just painful, and I'm thinking the 360 version will run better.

I have no idea what this game is about but I have $16 in my Steam Wallet; should I buy it?

YES! NOW!

Rlan

There's a Vita version?

There's also an iPhone and Android version.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/20/jet-set-radio-also-broadcasting-to-ios-and-android-this-summer/

SEGA doing the right thing and putting this on everything imaginable.

Started playing today on 360 - looks so good! The game's still balls hard though -- couldn't find the last two tags in the second level for a while, even with the map.

Also I think Naganuma was staring into my soul during the doco.

Dice

I don't know how many times I'd have to play through the story until I would fully memorize the tag placements of each map and worked out a proper strategy to not get grabbed even once. That's such an asshole achievement.

I don't know how many times I'd have to play through the story until I would fully memorize the tag placements of each map and worked out a proper strategy to not get grabbed even once. That's such an asshole achievement.

Yeah it's total garbage.
Reminds me of the achievements for Ecco the Dolphin XBLA.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/ecco-the-dolphin/achievements/

"Complete the game without dying more than 3 times."

It's like they made this achievement without ever actually playing the game. Ecco is a tough as balls game with a LOT of instant-deaths. The only way to get this achievement is by abusing the save/load feature in the XBLA port, which completely ruins the game in the process.

It's so freaking stupid.

Before I grab the PC version, is there 360 controller support and is that the way to play?

Yep. Its jhust plug and play, it recognised my 360 pad as soon as I started the game and it even changed all the button prompts in the game to mirror the 360 controls.

Top Bottom