• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ok guys. I haven't followed the thread, but as some of you may know, I have a friend who worked on this (he did the trophy/achievements stuff and he knows the people at Blit well). He asked me to post this since he's waiting for account validation.
See if you can't ask him about the framerate.

Is there a technical reason as to why the game cannot be run at 60 fps?

Also, I'm not surprised to see that the original sound files were ripped from the Dreamcast game. It was plainly obvious to me. It's just a shame someone didn't go back and use updated music files or something.

StylusX

Managed to get 20 mins in before work, got the 100+ tricks achievement (good old loop in the tutorial). Can't wait to get back and play some more.

SykoTech

So was a verdict ever reached for the PS3 version? Right now it kinda sounds like a ymmv thing, and having to delete/redownload if issues occur.

I've had $10 saved in my account for what seems like all year for this game, but the technical issues have given me cold feet at the last second. :/

Ok guys. I haven't followed the thread, but as some of you may know, I have a friend who worked on this (he did the trophy/achievements stuff and he knows the people at Blit well). He asked me to post this since he's waiting for account validation.

Ask him about the difference in Ps Trophy List and Achievements.

So was a verdict ever reached for the PS3 version? Right now it kinda sounds like a ymmv thing, and having to delete/redownload if issues occur.

I've had $10 saved in my account for what seems like all year for this game, but the technical issues have given me cold feet at the last second. :/

From everything we've seen in this thread, it would seem the PS3 version has more framerate issues, and might be more susceptible to hard drive fragmentation issues. Someone else who compared them both also said they thought the 360 version "looked more vibrant".

SykoTech

From everything we've seen in this thread, it would seem the PS3 version has more framerate issues, and might be more susceptible to hard drive fragmentation issues. Someone else who compared them both also said they thought the 360 version "looked more vibrant".

Alright, thanks. I can deal with "less vibrant", but framerate....depends on how much "more" is.

It was mainly the talk about a "freezing problem" that had me worried though. Would bite if that issue is cleared up.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's hit or miss, though. I saw more issues with the 360 version than the PS3 version in my testing. Others are seeing the opposite.

jett

D-Member
It was probably too much of a bother to resync the game code, timing and animations to 60fps? I got no clue. I wonder if it can be hacked to do it correctly... :p

I got no problem with the framerate on the PC version though, it appears very smoothly. The slow speed of the game and unflinching 30fps work in its favor. Sound quality sounds good to me on my headphones too.

jett

D-Member
Other than the occasional hitch and a few really low rez textures it's perfect JSR.
I personally really appreciate how they redid most of the GUI and HUD to HD resolutions. Other companies that do this sort of work don't even bother. I'm looking at you, BluePoint!

I've noticed something weird. Try this at the beginning of the tutorial.

Hold the left analog stick up ^ and rotate the camera by holding right > on the right analog stick. This is not going smoothly on PS3, look closely at the character.
This is not a fault of my DualShock controllers, i have also tried this with my 360 controller on PS3 (i have a converter). The 360 version doesn't have this problem.

It's hit or miss, though. I saw more issues with the 360 version than the PS3 version in my testing. Others are seeing the opposite.

What are the issues you saw with the 360 version? Game runs absolutely fine on my console. Try to clear the 360's System Cache, that could solve problems.

Aaron

I personally really appreciate how they redid most of the GUI and HUD to HD resolutions. Other companies that do this sort of work don't even bother. I'm looking at you, BluePoint!
I think the real magic is I forget the original game wasn't widescreen. It feels like it's always been that way, and I sunk serious hours into the original.

jett

D-Member
I think the real magic is I forget the original game wasn't widescreen. It feels like it's always been that way, and I sunk serious hours into the original.

That too. On the PC it's one of the best HD ports made. Shame about consoles. :p

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
GANGSTERKILLER said:
This is not going smoothly on PS3, look closely at the character.
The user-control camera panning just isn't smooth (not sure about other versions, I only tried PS3 so far), I assumed it had something to do with original implementation (there was no user-panning, but if you held the center button camera would jitter like that too).

I've read every comment in this thread and that's not what I've witnessed. I've seen more people on the PS3 version talking about actual framerate problems, and the hitching sound/graphic issues.

I don't recall even seeing one 360 user complain about framerate problems in this thread, but Ryan Davis of Giantbomb did mention the hitching/sound issues, but later in the Quick Look they posted yesterday he also clarified this problem didn't exist on the both Xbox's he played the game on. Thus confirming the hard drive was the culprit, not that he mentioned that himself. ;)

With that said, the 360 hard drives issues can be cleared up with a reformatting. It seems like the PS3 version has issues that go beyond what a reformatting can clean up, and I'm not even sure the PS3's reformatting process is as effective as the 360's. I've actually heard Ledbetter state that the PS3 hard drives are far more prone to fragmentation due to how the data is compiled.

That too. On the PC it's one of the best HD ports made. Shame about consoles. :p

The 360 version I've played over the past 2 nights has performed flawlessly. :p

I haven't put much time into this yet but can anyone fill me in on what the Graffiti Camera option does? Toggled it off and on and it wasn't very apparent.

Atolm

I asked the mods if they can validate my friend's account, he wants to answer all your questions and to provide feedback, hopefully he can do so soon.

Taffer

I haven't put much time into this yet but can anyone fill me in on what the Graffiti Camera option does? Toggled it off and on and it wasn't very apparent.

I think that's the special brief camera angles when spraying simple tags, turn it off and the camera will stay behind your character when spraying them. I don't think it affects the camera during large & extra-large sprayings.

The user-control camera panning just isn't smooth (not sure about other versions, I only tried PS3 so far), I assumed it had something to do with original implementation (there was no user-panning, but if you held the center button camera would jitter like that too).

I can assure you the new user control camera works perfectly smooth on the 360. The implementation is just not as good on PS3.
Gamers with both consoles, see the difference for youself. Hopefully they can fix it with a patch.

BruiserBear, can you also confirm this issue? You have also played the PS3 version, right?

What are you talking about you don't have a 360, You must be talking about the PS3 port. Xbox 360 one feels and looks great just like the Dreamcast game. I have had zero problems. If you have a 360 buy it. Xbox controller is most like Dreamcast one.
30 achievements vs what 8? ps things.

Forkball

I'm having a blast with this game. It looks great and still plays great, although it can be a bit clunky at times. I really hope Sega brings this franchise back, even if it's a small time digital release.

I can assure you the new user control camera works perfectly smooth on the 360. The implementation is just not as good on PS3.
Gamers with both consoles, see the difference for youself. Hopefully they can fix it with a patch.

BruiserBear, can you also confirm this issue? You have also played the PS3 version, right?

No, I have not played the PS3 demo. Once I saw how solid the 360 demo ran, I just bought it there.

xJavonta

Banned

I'll download and report back with my impressions. (PC, 360 and PS3)

I can't believe they remastered this classic. One of my favorite games back then, i hope this classic sells a lot. The music brings back memories.

So after playing the PC version, and going back to play the original on nullDC, I have NO idea how I played this game without a camera stick. Holy shit. We are so spoiled nowadays.

gwarm01

I played the demo on the 360. Holy crap, I'm having flashbacks to my ill-spent youth. I was fifteen when this game came out and it was my entire world for a good month.

I'm try very, very hard to resist the urge to buy it now. I promised myself I'd play it on the Vita.

We really need an answer on why the trophies are different than achievements....

Sometimes I wonder if it's a plan to get impulse buys from the same person just so they can net a new list of cheevos, that or two different teams did the finishing touches on each console and had to throw in some trophies and achievements on their ends.

jett

D-Member
What are you talking about you don't have a 360, You must be talking about the PS3 port. Xbox 360 one feels and looks great just like the Dreamcast game. I have had zero problems. If you have a 360 buy it. Xbox controller is most like Dreamcast one.

I was only going by what I had read in this thread.

I got the steam version and it comes with 30 achievements too, and why would I want to give up 1080p? :p Plays just fine on my DS3 connected to my PC

You are so true about the 360 controller being similar to the Dreamcast one. Playing JSR with the DS feels just "wrong". I don't like the triggers.
And yes, 360 version plays and looks also perfect to me.

I'll download and report back with my impressions. (PC, 360 and PS3)

What are your impressions? ;-) Noticed the broken camera panning on the PS3 version?

I've heard out of all three, the 360 verson has the worst sound quality.

After playing this game at 2560x1440 + using a DAC with headphones, this would kill me :p

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I can't get enough of this game!
This is probably the closest I've ever had to a spiritual experience playing videogames.

Thank you Smilebit for making this game in the first place, thanks to Sega for re-releasing it and thanks to Blit for porting it to the PC so wonderfully!

I really don't understand all the complaints about the controls. The best games always take some getting used to. It's what gives them their unique feel. The controls in JSR work flawlessly! Any easier and there would be no challenge and no sense of satisfaction.

Truly, even playing on keyboard I feel this game is perfection incarnate!

I can't get enough of this game!
This is probably the closest I've ever had to a spiritual experience playing videogames.

Thank you Smilebit for making this game in the first place, thanks to Sega for re-releasing it and thanks to Blit for porting it to the PC so wonderfully!

I really don't understand all the complaints about the controls. The best games always take some getting used to. It's what gives them their unique feel. The controls in JSR work flawlessly! Any easier and there would be no challenge and no sense of satisfaction.

Truly, even playing on keyboard I feel this game is perfection incarnate!

Agreed!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nothing wrong with the controls, but sometimes the camera can be fucked up. Like when you go on a halfpipe and it's zooming way in so that it can get that shot from under your character, when 90% of the time it would be better to be zoomed out. That sort of "zoom way in for dramatic effect" thing is the source of most of the camera issues right there, especially when it flies under your character in mid-air after a jump when you're trying to look down to aim for a wire. The way it turns and cuts to different angles as you're grinding on things around corners and whatnot is actually really damn good.

RE: Tagging people

Often they will have a rail or wall somewhere behind them. Grind on this then do a sideways jump to land behind them with forward momemtum so when they're skating off you have the speed to keep up and spray the fuck out of them. If this isn't possible because there is only a non-grindable wall behind them, try to jump over them with a turn in midair and you should be able to spray them once on the way down and once when you land.

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?"

Loving this so far. Control takes a while to get used to, but it's pretty simple, it's just throwing off years of Tony Hawk knowledge and getting used to the bizarre jump. Once I did that, I'm basking in the glorious style and fantastic soundtrack.

Mew fo' life.

Astral

I played the demo. It's my first time playing JSR and it was pretty fun. I couldn't for the life of me get Jet rank though. I kept getting Nitro. Also, is it just me or does Gum suck? It takes an eternity to spray paint with her.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, uh... Graffiti Souls: Can you go back into a level/mission and grab them or are you fucked and have to get them in one go?

Naked Lunch

Absolutely loved this game on Dreamcast - the first cutscene with the DJ talking after the intial tutorial is probably my fav cutscene ever. So much style.

Booted up the 360 demo. I must say the sound quality is awful! :(
Not sure what the heck happened there. Its too distorted and clicky. Just not good. Very disappointing for someone looking for updated perfection.

Veal

Absolutely loved this game on Dreamcast - the first cutscene with the DJ talking after the intial tutorial is probably my fav cutscene ever. So much style.

Booted up the 360 demo. I must say the sound quality is awful! :(
Not sure what the heck happened there. Its too distorted and clicky. Just not good. Very disappointing for someone looking for updated perfection.

I agree! Watching the Noise Tanks dance to Funky Radio is one of those perfect moments in life!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Once you finish the game new modes open up and you can go back into all the levels.

Okay, then I won't worry about them for now. Is there a checklist of them in-game or do I have to make one for them?

Okay, then I won't worry about them for now. Is there a checklist of them in-game or do I have to make one for them?

Each soul unlocks a new graffiti, so you can use the graffiti list to see the ones you're missing, although it doesn't tell you the level or anything like that, just that you're missing it.

Top Bottom