• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

Aaron

Okay people, let's figure this out.

Your custom tags should be located here:

X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[Steam ID?]\205950\remote\save\0

Spray files have the same names as the DC original:

JETSET___SMA
JETSET___LAR
JETSET___XLA

So I found this Polish site that LOOKS like it's detailing the stored JSR custom spray format:

http://www.sega.private.pl/faqs/felieton_wlasne_grafitti_jet_set_radio.html

Am I crazy in thinking that the dude might be saying that the spray format is JPEG with different headers? I feel like I'm crazy but it would be nice to get confirmation.
All you have to do is add a hex string in front of the jpg file with a hex editing software. I had a file with the text string when I used to edit tags on the dreamcast, but of course I can't find it now.

Forkball

Man, this game is crazy nostalgic in so many ways. I really want another JSR title. Or also bring Future to Steam.

I forgot how tough this game was. I remember playing it with my friends when I was younger and trying to figure out which way to go. I'm even stuck on the second mission (Love Trap). Off to Youtube for me.

Tain

All you have to do is add a hex string in front of the jpg file with a hex editing software. I had a file with the text string when I used to edit tags on the dreamcast, but of course I can't find it now.

Awesome, I'll have to look into that when I get home.

ezodagrom

Jet Set Radio runs fine even in my 6 years old laptop, Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz, Mobility Radeon X1600, Win 7 64 bits.

There's a really small bug, the Blit logo at the start appears huge, bigger than the screen, it's a bug that I also had in the recent release of Sonic CD in this laptop (which was ported to the PC by Blit too), but the game itself looks and runs perfectly fine at 1280x800.

Insayne

Any more details, offsets, what JPEG revision Header should be used?

Akira

Any impressions from those playing the game for the first time? I wish I could have that feeling again.

And is the music from JSR (Japan) or JGR (US)?

Is it possible to knock down the cops or the police captain? I kept trying to run them down when they were shooting me but it seems all you can do is just run away? :( There's a part on the second level where the captain is in close quarters with you and he just shoots me constantly. This game is still great though, just way more difficult than JSRF.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm kind of surprised at the number of people saying this is difficult. Game doesn't really get all that crazy.

Is it possible to knock down the cops or the police captain? I kept trying to run them down when they were shooting me but it seems all you can do is just run away? :( There's a part on the second level where the captain is in close quarters with you and he just shoots me constantly. This game is still great though, just way more difficult than JSRF.

I found some success in dashing into the police captain, that knocks him down for a second or two but isn't really that useful. You can also spraypaint his back to stun him for a few seconds which is a little more useful. I've not managed to do anything about the rest of the police though.

Any impressions from those playing the game for the first time? I wish I could have that feeling again.

USA I think. Its got stuff like Just Got Wicked, Slow and Dragula which I know were not in the Japanese version or the Euro version I believe (I certainly never heard them on my Euro DC copy)

8bit

Knows the Score

You can knock him down and tag him if you're quick.

I'm kind of surprised at the number of people saying this is difficult. Game doesn't really get all that crazy.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. I'm not even the kind of guy that generally enjoys brutally difficult games, and I completed this game twice back in my Dreamcast days.

The controls are a bit fickle, but once you get a grasp of what you can and cannot do, and how to do things best, it's pretty straight forward.

I'm definitely going to finish it again now, and I'm curious to see if the later parts really are that challenging for me today.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. I'm not even the kind of guy that generally enjoys brutally difficult games, and I completed this game twice back in my Dreamcast days.

The controls are a bit fickle, but once you get a grasp of what you can and cannot do, and how to do things best, it's pretty straight forward.

I'm definitely going to finish it again now, and I'm curious to see if the later parts really are that challenging for me today.

Some of it might be just the comparison between it and JSRF, I could beat JSRF in my sleep at this point. It gets difficult later on but the only difficulty there is reaching some of the crazy tags/graffiti souls. The boss fights aren't difficult and there's no time limit on the tags. The controls aren't quite as forgiving in this one and you have people constantly trying to murder you while you're standing there spraying things. It's obviously not impossible, I can tell that I'll get better at it once I've been through the levels a few times, but if you're new to it it's definitely not the easiest.

vazel

Banned
I'm having more difficulty with the game now than I did back in the Dreamcast days. I blame modern gaming turning me into a wuss.

Is Jet Set Radio the first or second game. And what about Jet Grind Radio and then Jet Set Radio Future?

This is confusing. I think I have Future for the original Xbox.

MechaX

I'm playing it on the PS3 currently... God, when playing on Bantam Street (you unlock it roughly halfway through the game), the game runs like ass at certain parts of it.

The level design's a bit confusing in... Bento, was it? The night-time city, anyway. I had to look up on YouTube where the hell I was going in the Yo-Yo challenge (which I still haven't beaten because I keep botching up the last jump, which doesn't give me enough time to retry it - but I at least know the full path now). I keep winding up moving really slow on rails, and the rail detection seems to be inconsistent; there's this airvent in the nighttime stage that I can occasionally grind up, but sometimes I wind up slowly walking up it instead. Trying to chase down people is awkward; I guess it just means my character choice, Gum, is not really ideal, since she feels kinda sluggish. I'd never noticed how awkward the jumping mechanics are, but yeah, they do take a good deal of getting used to (I don't think I'm quite there yet).

It's still fun.

Everything, barring "Yappie Feet" and "Many Styles".

Is Jet Set Radio the first or second game. And what about Jet Grind Radio and then Jet Set Radio Future?

Jet Set Radio is the first game. Future is the second. Jet Grind Radio is the first game in the US because of a legal dispute over the name (which has thankfully since lapsed; "Jet Set Radio" sounds so much better).

Jet Set Radio and Jet Grind Radio are both the same game, they just went under different names in different regions (they are both the first game in the series)
Jet Set Radio Future is the second game in the series

Jet Set Radio was the first game, released on Dreamcast (and eventually remade for GBA). When they released it for the US and Europe, they made some changes, added two new areas, and in the US called it Jet Grind Radio due to copyright issues at the time. (This version was also rereleased in Japan with one other addition, called De La Jet Set Radio.)

Jet Set Radio Future was the sequel, on the original Xbox.

Edit: Yeah, I took too long typing that out and checking the GBA date.

Blizzard

Banned
Man, this game is crazy nostalgic in so many ways. I really want another JSR title. Or also bring Future to Steam.

I forgot how tough this game was. I remember playing it with my friends when I was younger and trying to figure out which way to go. I'm even stuck on the second mission (Love Trap). Off to Youtube for me.
I retried Love Trap a few times last night. =( As far as I understand, all I have to do is spray all the red arrows to beat it, but I'm so bad at doing tricks to collect cans, I usually end up dying or accidentally getting carried out of the level by a car, lol.

I thought it was kind of funny that I got an achievement in Love Trap for
flying off some high structure and falling like 30 feet into a drainpipe.

Sort of curious, too.

I wonder if it's DRM related? Fixing something like that by rebooting might suggest some kind of monitoring service isn't running and making the game freak out about it.
I know that DoomBuilder 2 tries to base its heartbeat off of the CPU's internal clock; however, if you're like me and hibernate all the time, that eventually gets insanely sluggish, with the only fix being a reboot. Personally, I wonder if there's a similar situation here...?

sinseers

Ok...maybe i'm missin sumthin...where is the HD in JSR HD? I DL'd the trail and it looks just bout the same as teh DC version to me. Anyone else get the same results?

Insayne

it doesnt give me the option to change display type. I'm playing the game in a little box as a matter of fact. Annoying as shish.

You don't get the Jet Set Radio Setup window when you start up the game?
Set the resolution there to match your display's, MSAAx8, and make sure maximized and windowed are unchecked.

Soup Bar

Does anyone get some weird audio glitch where you don't hear the sound effects, like dashing, grinding, or spraying paint? I'm playing on the 360.

It's weird. I can start a new game, and it works fine, but if I load my game, the sound effects are missing.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You don't get the Jet Set Radio Setup window when you start up the game?
Set the resolution there to match your display's, MSAAx8, and make sure maximized and windowed are unchecked.

There should be a launcher when you start the game.

I think he is playing a console version, which makes his issue even weirder

Anyway to disable this? It's super annoying.
Go into the game's folder and swap the launcher exe's name with the game's exe's name.

jcjimher

Bought the game day 1 on Steam and it's been working good for me so far.

It looks really good in 3D with the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses too!!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
How is the port for PC? Graphic options? Ability to change controls?

16YCF.jpg

What ya see is what ya get.

Performance wise, it's great. Seems to be able to run very well on any number of systems that have come out in the past forever (from early Core 2 Duos up to the latest i3/5/7s) with the main hitch being a glitch around the internal clock of the system. If you're getting poor performance, a restart seems to fix it 99% of the time.

So played this for an hour or so today. Still awesome. Some sound hiccups and I can't remember if that was in the DC version or not. Either way, not enough to lessen my enjoyment.

Played all night last night, just got up. PC version ran perfectly all the way through, and it is the best looking version of the game (ahead of DC and nullDC). Added camera control came in handy sometimes. I was top 10 on at least 2 leaderboards but probably not anymore.

Only one downside. When you are playing for high score, auto-save is a bad thing. There could be a way around this on PC though.

RedSwirl

Damn I forgot I had to unlock all the graffiti by grabbing all those symbols. I have no idea how I got em' all back on the Dreamcast.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The tiresome aspect is that you have to grab them and then beat the level or they don't save. So to get more time to get them without enemies, you have to play graffiti mode, in which you have to get all the red tags over the entire level. Spend too long trying to get some of the souls and you may not finish all the tags in time. >_<

There is one I keep missing in Benten where you jump from one walkway to the other below (a long way around if you miss) and another one there that I have no idea how to get. It's floating above the street, so I assume you jump down onto a pink truck and ride it there? But the walkways over the street are so high up...

Just curious, but is the tutorial glitched? I reached the one where you have have to push forward then back while dashing to do a turn-around or something, and it wouldn't give me the "OK." 20-something.

Top Bottom