• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Cordon: Sea of Thieves has sold over 1m copies on PlayStation

Banjo64

cumsessed
https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...s-question-microsofts-multi-platform-strategy

Indeed, trusted sources have indicated to me that Sea of Thieves has crossed a million sales on PlayStation since its launch over there, and is most likely higher still since this information came to me. The game is currently selling for $40, so even when you disregard in-app purchases from the Sea of Thieves emporium, that's at least around $40 million dollars additional income for Rare to hire and invest in growing that game out. You might wonder if the brand damage to Xbox is worth the income, though. Well, echoing previous comments made to investors by Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, it doesn't seem to be having a material impact on the growth of total Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S console players — at least for now.

GHG

Gold Member
it doesn't seem to be having a material impact on the growth of total Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S console players — at least for now

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

feynoob

Banned
Xbox works very well as 3rd party. Good games, plus it allows the devs to make what they want.

The issue is MS is not equipped to sustain hardware model with half assed investment. It takes a lot of investment to expand your brand. MS doesn't want to do that, hence why Xbox failed after 360.

Hopefully, they let their hardware die slowly and transition to PC+ other console.

sainraja

Xbox works very well as 3rd party. Good games, plus it allows the devs to make what they want.

The issue is MS is not equipped to sustain hardware model with half assed investment. It takes a lot of investment to expand your brand. MS doesn't want to do that, hence why Xbox failed after 360.

Hopefully, they let their hardware die slowly and transition to PC+ other console.
They can push hardware along with their software (even if it is available across platforms). Isn't that MS has done with Windows?
They make the software which is run on hardware by other vendors and they make hardware too (Surface).

Kerotan

I told my buddy he'd like this. He's now got 500 hours sunk (hehe) in on PS5 and he's pulled half our friends circle in too. Most bought for 40 and a few got it on sale for 25.

feynoob

Banned
They can push hardware along with their software (even if it is available across platforms). Isn't that MS has done with Windows?
They make the software which is run on hardware by other vendors and they make hardware too (Surface).
The hardware wont sell, if MS doesnt push it hard. MS has decreased the budget for Xbox marketing department, and closed bethesda branches in europe. That is not someone that is confident on their product hardware.

Windows is successful due to 3rd party applications. They dont need to do that much work in that department.

Aenima

I keep forgeting this game is available on PS5 and that i was always interested in trying it. :D Need to add it to my wishlist so i get notified once it gets a promo.
1M is not bad at all.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Probably more copies than its sold on Xbox

probably? i'm guessing about 950,000 more...

Sea of Thieves hit #2 on NPD on release and landed at a time when GamePass didn’t have mass adoption

Must be nice to be able to report sales and not just "player engagement" cause people are actually purchasing your product and not using $1 subs to play games that cost millions of dollars to develop.
It feels good to pay $1 to play games that cost millions of dollars to develop.

Who’s using $1 to play GaaS games they’re interested in? 😂

Ozriel

M$FT
Wow that's actually pretty decent.

Ps fanbase just helping Phil learn.
Now you know why MS is blatantly accelerating their multi platform strategy. Satya actually loved making actual gaming money for the first time in almost a decade.

xuPunb0.jpeg

Estimates have it around the 10 million unit sold mark on Steam alone - which was a late port. It’s been in the Best of Steam charts every year since release.

They’ve been making money from this game from day one.

Must feel good for the devs when numbers aren't tied to Gamepass engagement

Devs already celebrated very impressive sales milestones, years ago.

Top Bottom