• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Cordon: Sea of Thieves has sold over 1m copies on PlayStation

I see it like some of Sony’s PC ports

1M for an old game is free money and a success

Sea of thieves is also a GaaS and still charts pretty well for PlayStation do still has some legs I’d imagine

Cyberpunkd

The game is currently selling for $40, so even when you disregard in-app purchases from the Sea of Thieves emporium, that's at least around $40 million dollars additional income for Rare to hire and invest in growing that game out.
Who's gonna tell the idiot about Sony's 30% cut? It's not like it has not been the case forever.

Also, who's going to tell the idiot revenue does not equal net profit?

feynoob

Banned
Most actual Playstation gamers aren't saying Xbox games suck, just a vocal minority here and on the internet and they are just as bad as the Colt Eastwoods of the world

Most Playstation gamers (like most Xbox gamers) just want to play games and not have to buy multiple platforms to play everything
Hopefully MS revives older IPs this way. OG Xbox has some hidden gems.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This post originally was "Did I?" he didn't remember calling it a monster hit!
Then edited to "I still think it's a monster hit!" after he checked
Then edited to "I still think it's a hit for a 7 year old game" when he realised calling it a monster hit is dumb.

If I completely rewrote my posts 3 times in 3 minutes I wouldn't be able to remember what I had or hadn't said either.

I smoke a lot of weed nowadays. Medically.

Ozriel

M$FT
For both games they talk about 1M copies.

Actually

Indeed, trusted sources have indicated to me that Sea of Thieves has crossed a million sales on PlayStation since its launch over there, and is most likely higher still since this information came to me.

So basically 1m+

Why are you showing me Circana results?

Again, we know that both games have sold 1 million copies worldwide. Why do you keep talking about only 1 region?

…because that’s the only region I have relative sales data for?

By all means, provide sales rankings YTD for other regions. We have GSD data for Europe H1 2024, but those track only physical sales…and Sea of Thieves is digital only for now.

No reason to imagine the pattern in the U.S. is massively different from the EU. Especially with how well SoT did on PlayStation Network top downloads for April (#1 in EU and US) and May (#2 - 3)

Humdinger

Most actual Playstation gamers aren't saying Xbox games suck, just a vocal minority here and on the internet and they are just as bad as the Colt Eastwoods of the world

Most Playstation gamers (like most Xbox gamers) just want to play games and not have to buy multiple platforms to play everything

Yeah, I'm in that boat. I am an ex-Xbox fan, PS-only owner since 2010. I occasionally get tempted (almost) to buy an Xbox as a second console. From my point of view, Xbox always had a few interesting exclusives, but they were too slowly dribbled out and never quite enough to justify my purchase. I'm basically a one-console guy anyhow.

Originally, I thought that all their acquisitions meant that I would eventually have to relent and buy an Xbox, in order to play some game now exclusive to Xbox. Funnily enough, it worked exactly the other way around. The financial weight of those acquisitions seems to have persuaded them to send their exclusives to PS - obviating my need to buy an Xbox. Thanks, Phil! :)

I prefer to have everything on one console if possible. I'm sure many other people feel the same.

Last edited:

wolffy66

I'm sure it does but don't be upset when less and less games get made because they can't come close to recovering development cost.
The subscription model isn't that difficult to understand tbh. Netflix doesn't count how many copies of The Expanse they sell. Even if they sell seasons somewhere. It's still revenue and it's not that complicated.

Klayzer

Yeah, I'm in that boat. I am an ex-Xbox fan, PS-only owner since 2010. I occasionally get tempted (almost) to buy an Xbox as a second console. From my point of view, Xbox always had a few interesting exclusives, but they were too slowly dribbled out and never quite enough to justify my purchase. I'm basically a one-console guy anyhow.

Originally, I thought that all their acquisitions meant that I would eventually have to relent and buy an Xbox, in order to play some game now exclusive to Xbox. Funnily enough, it worked exactly the other way around. The financial weight of those acquisitions seems to have persuaded them to send their exclusives to PS - obviating my need to buy an Xbox. Thanks, Phil! :)

I prefer to have everything on one console if possible. I'm sure many other people feel the same.
Yeah. I use to own every console as well. Just don't have the time, or see the need anymore. I prefer consoles over PC, so all the games coming to one platform is a blessing.

DJ12

Wtf? Sure you can play Palworld and Helldivers 2 SP, you can play Sea of Thieves SP if you want. None of them would be fun. They're all primarily co-op experiences. You're crazier than I thought. Made a silly statement and then doubled down and took it to 11. Have you played any of these games? Because I've played all three.

A game needing friends to play it so making people urge their friends to get it too is a reason a game should sell less? lmfao.

"Helldivers 2 is a SP game."
tenor.gif
He's literally the only person on my ignore list, there's no reasoning with bat shit insane so was easier to remove the idiocy from my life.

DJ12

Playstation owners : "Xbox games suck!"

Playstation owners then buy 1 million sucky games. Make hype thread about how Indiana Jones is gonna choke their whips in 2025.
Lol you know there's more former Xbox fanboys (360 fans) on playstation now than xbox right?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The strat is working it seems. Good for Xbox, good for Playstation.

I remember when Phil and Bethesda sat down and discussed exclusivity. At the time I believe they said it was about bringing exclusive games to the platform, which in all fairness, they are doing.

It's just timed exclusivity. Sony is doing this with PC, which I really appreciate. Xbox was already in on PC, so Sony is the next logical step. This needs to continue, I think, for the sake of the industry.

Nothing wrong with threading the needle and finding a middle ground.

Well its on Gamepass so a bunch of players would be GP players........but
You are assuming this was all PC and GP players?

FVN_q5hWQAIRHFu
Yeah I'd put good money on at least 80% of that being GP players who booted the game up for less than an hour. I gave it 20 minutes at launch before never touching it again, so I would be included in that number.

DJ12

The strat is working it seems. Good for Xbox, good for Playstation.

I remember when Phil and Bethesda sat down and discussed exclusivity. At the time I believe they said it was about bringing exclusive games to the platform, which in all fairness, they are doing.

It's just timed exclusivity. Sony is doing this with PC, which I really appreciate. Xbox was already in on PC, so Sony is the next logical step. This needs to continue, I think, for the sake of the industry.

Nothing wrong with threading the needle and finding a middle ground.
While there's nothing of interest for me at the moment coming to PlayStation, I'd like to thank you in advance for beta testing future PlayStation releases.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I enjoyed the game but haven't played in a couple months now, unfortunately my RL friend/family group who I convinced to play the game got bored pretty quickly and lost interest. Playing with randos sucked every time I tried and it's really not a single player game, so oh well.

I enjoyed the game but haven't played in a couple months now, unfortunately my RL friend/family group who I convinced to play the game got bored pretty quickly and lost interest. Playing with randos sucked every time I tried and it's really not a single player game, so oh well.

Same thing happened with my HD2 crew. We went hard for like 1 week and then dropped it.

Killer8

Who wants to try and guess when the tipping point will be when the Xbox games released on PlayStation end up doing better than on Xbox?

The answer by technicality will probably be 25 October 2024

DJ12

Who wants to try and guess when the tipping point will be when the Xbox games released on PlayStation end up doing better than on Xbox?

It's probably already sold more on PlayStation already, but it'll never beat the engagement.

Killjoy-NL

Doing better on PS than on Xbox is kinda relative though.

If game X sells to 1% of both platforms, it automatically means it sold about 3x as much on PS.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
While there's nothing of interest for me at the moment coming to PlayStation, I'd like to thank you in advance for beta testing future PlayStation releases.
I don't play games on Xbox. What you talking about Willis?

Mownoc

It will already have happened several times. There will be titles that have made more money for MS on PlayStation than Xbox consoles. Psychonauts 2, Minecraft Dungeons, Minecraft Legends, Diablo 4. Anything that is a simultaneous release will sell more on PlayStation.

Last edited:

TBiddy

I was talking about PS5 specifically though.
Xbox games don't have the pull on Playstation some people think they have.

Ahh ok - misunderstood you then. No worries.

SoT is an old game that has been available for years on the PC. I assume that most PS5 players interested in SoT has played it on PC.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah I'd put good money on at least 80% of that being GP players who booted the game up for less than an hour. I gave it 20 minutes at launch before never touching it again, so I would be included in that number.

Game sold approx 10 million on Steam. Millions more on console.
And you’re here arguing that more than 24 milllion out of the 30 million total players just played it on GP for a short while.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
Rare doesn't get all that income though.

1 million sales x $40= $40,000,000 x 70%= $28,000,000

$28,000,000 is what Rare would get factoring in Sony’s 30% cut.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Rare doesn't get all that income though.

1 million sales x $40= $40,000,000 x 70%= $28,000,000

$28,000,000 is what Rare would get factoring in Sony’s 30% cut.
At 4 pages deep, I don't believe that fact is lost on anyone in here.

Killjoy-NL

I dunno. People on every platform seem really excited about Black Ops 6 and the upcoming Doom.

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey
Touché.

I suppose those are part of the reason pretty much every Xbox game will be coming to Playstation, so I guess that's a W.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Honestly, I doubt Rare got a penny, it all went to Microsoft proper. Rare is just allowed to survive and not get layed off.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I like you as a poster, but I have made a deal with myself to type the below everytime I read the above statement from Sony fans.

"Thanks for Beta testing Playstation titles for future PC releases"

DJ12

I like you as a poster, but I have made a deal with myself to type the below everytime I read the above statement from Sony fans.

"Thanks for Beta testing Playstation titles for future PC releases"
That's cute, but we all know Sonys qa game is far superior than that.

In fact, ports are usually considerably worse than the PlayStation version. Only nixxes deliver the goods to our PCM brethren.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That's cute, but we all know Sonys qa game is far superior than that.

In fact, ports are usually considerably worse than the PlayStation version. Only nixxes deliver the goods to our PCM brethren.

Doesn't make my response not true. Just because Naughty Dog butchered the last of us release.

You make a little smarmy quip, you get one in return.

How was the returnal port, Ghost Of Tsushima etc?

Helldivers 2 smokes the PS5 version. So does Concord and they were day one. It looks like Sony is getting their act together with PC ports.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’d hoped this would just be a positive thread. A 6 year old port with historically long legs selling 1m+ in 4 months.

Rare have done an amazing job, a truly unlikely redemption arc in my view, for the game and studio.

Pirate Horizon GIF by Sea of Thieves

Top Bottom