• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Cordon: Sea of Thieves has sold over 1m copies on PlayStation

Ozriel

M$FT
Define 'successfull'?
If it's within MS' expactations, sure and that's all that matters.

Imo 1M is decent, but not something noteworthy.

it’s a port of a 6 year old game. Over $40m in revenue, with port costs not likely to exceed $5m. Those are very solid margins. And it’s just been 4 months since release.

It’s very noteworthy. Way more than ‘decent’.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Very nice result for SoT on PS5 and ensuring the ports will just keep rolling.

Your point makes zero sense. No one has claimed Concord will be successful much less a "monster hit".

"Alan Wake 2 is a monster hit!"
"No it's not!"
"Well let's compare it to Suicide Squad"

Unparalleled Logic.

So you are saying that Sea of Thieves isn't a monster hit?

Doesn't matter when it was released, it's new to the Playstation audience and is the first 'big' Xbox title to ever release on Playstation, at a low price.

1M is kinda meh.
Keep making up your own rules to make yourself feel better. I stick by my comments that this will end up between 3 and 4 million sold on Playstation. Thats a lot of money for both Sony and Microsoft. and huge hit for a game coming out years upon years later.

feynoob

Banned
Doesn't matter when it was released, it's new to the Playstation audience and is the first 'big' Xbox title to ever release on Playstation, at a low price.

1M is kinda meh.
It kind matters. PC/Xbox/PS users overlap with each other. Chances us are alot of PS users have bought the game on other systems.

And 1m sales on platform is not meh. For a co-op game, that is alot. Console fight have deteriorated some people's perception of success.

Killjoy-NL

it’s a port of a 6 year old game. Over $40m in revenue, with port costs not likely to exceed $5m. Those are very solid margins. And it’s just been 4 months since release.

It’s very noteworthy. Way more than ‘decent’.
As I replied above, it's new to Playstation and of the first 'big' Xbox titles to ever release on Playstation, for cheap.

So 1M isn't that noteworthy, really.

Not on PS5, it isn't. Which is what you claimed.
Keep making up your own rules to make yourself feel better. I stick by my comments that this will end up between 3 and 4 million sold on Playstation. Thats a lot of money for both Sony and Microsoft. and huge hit for a game coming out years upon years later.
'Huge'. It's decent at best. Which isn't bad, but just that: decent.

It kind matters. PC/Xbox/PS users overlap with each other. Chances us are alot of PS users have bought the game on other systems.
That overlap is a tiny minority. Most people played on just one system. Get real.

And I already said that most people who bought it on Playstation are probably former Xbox fans, so in a way it's like preaching to the choir.
And 1m sales on platform is not meh. For a co-op game, that is alot. Console fight have deteriorated some people's perception of success.
There is no console fight anymore, so that's not a good argument.

This is the reality of most people on Playstation not caring about Xbox games, which is a large part of the reason that Xbox is dying and needs to go 3rd party to begin with.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It’s had solid interest on every platform it’s ever been on, so it’s puzzling you’re insinuating PS owners are the exception.

…it’s outsold Stellar Blade in the U.S.

1 million units in a few months for a 6 year old port…isn’t ‘successful’?

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Late ports don’t always sell this quick, and this well. Horizon Forbidden West for example was released on PC and has about a third of these sales.
We are talking about worldwide sales or US-only sales? Both games sold 1 million copies WW. Neither outsold the other.

Sea of Thieves sold 1 million copies at $40. Stellar Blade sold 1 million copies at $70.

Mownoc

In general the game could be described that way, it's a very successful game especially on steam. But the PlayStation release? I wouldn't describe 1m sales in 3 months as a monster hit. If it was there'd be dozens of "monster hits" every year. Now there's a reason for that, the game is old AF, so selling 1m is a good result taking that into account.

feynoob

Banned
That overlap is a tiny minority. Most people played on just one system. Get real.
and?
And I already said that most people who bought it on Playstation are probably former Xbox fans, so in a way it's like preaching to the choir.
They are still PS users.
There is no console fight anymore, so that's not a good argument.
you just come here for that. People here are happy that MS is enjoying those sales and will port more games.
This is the reality of most people on Playstation not caring about Xbox games, which is a large part of the reason that Xbox is dying and needs to go 3rd party to begin with.
Saying that ironically on a post that states the game which sold 1m on that platform. Just take that console shit from your eyes man. Those gamers spoke with their wallets, instead of taking to online argument.
BTW, the game will continue to sell more. 1M is just the start, since this type of games will attract more people.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
In general the game could be described that way, it's a very successful game especially on steam. But the PlayStation release? I wouldn't describe 1m sales in 3 months as a monster hit. If it was there'd be dozens of "monster hits" every year. Now there's a reason for that, the game is old AF, so selling 1m is a good result taking that into account.

Yes, I admit a brand new released game with a huge marketing push and doing 1 million in 3 months like Stellar Blade would be pretty low for the userbase, especially as an exclusive.

Sea of Thieves, 7 years old and doing 1 mill. Is pretty damn good.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
We are talking about worldwide sales or US-only sales? Both games sold 1 million copies WW. Neither outsold the other.

Sea of Thieves sold 1 million copies at $40. Stellar Blade sold 1 million copies at $70.
Both games have different audience. Why are people even comparing them?

Killjoy-NL

you just come here for that. People here are happy that MS is enjoying those sales and will port more games.
I come here because it's a new game on Playstation.

Welcome to a new reality.
Saying that ironically on a post that states the game which sold 1m on that platform. Just take that console shit from your eyes man. Those gamers spoke with their wallets, instead of taking to online argument.
BTW, the game will continue to sell more. 1M is just the start, since this type of games will attract more people.
1M isn't a monster hit and I already acknowledged it sells decently, which was to be expected.

You are the ones that take it as a negative.

Last edited:

Mownoc

I still think its a hit for a 7 year old game
This post originally was "Did I?" he didn't remember calling it a monster hit!
Then edited to "I still think it's a monster hit!" after he checked
Then edited to "I still think it's a hit for a 7 year old game" when he realised calling it a monster hit is dumb.

If I completely rewrote my posts 3 times in 3 minutes I wouldn't be able to remember what I had or hadn't said either.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Nice try, but Circana’s YTD sales are based on dollar revenues. Not copies sold.

BfuOH0V.jpeg

It does mean that Sea of Thieves has sold significantly more than Stellar Blade or Ronin in the U.S., since both are around 40% higher in pricing.

We don’t have YTD for Europe, unfortunately.

feynoob

Banned
1M isn't a monster hit and I already acknowledged it sells decently, which was to be expected.

You are the ones that take it as a negative.
1m is a hit, not because of the amount of copies, but the type of game it is. Sea of thieves is first and almost a co-op game. You need other players to experience most of the content. You can play as a solo, but the experience isn't the same.

Would have been meh, if it was just a normal SP/live service game.

Mownoc

1m is a hit, not because of the amount of copies, but the type of game it is. Sea of thieves is first and almost a co-op game. You need other players to experience most of the content. You can play as a solo, but the experience isn't the same.

Wait, so the very reason games like Palworld and Helldivers 2 were such massive hits. (Best played with friends so people got their friends to purchase it too or gifted it to them.) Is a reason Sea of Thieves doesn't need to sell as much to be impressive.

What?

Killjoy-NL

1M out of a 60+M userbase is decent at best, no matter the game or genre.

And it's not because SoT is an Xbox game, I say the same for any game, like Stellar Blade:
Let's be honest.

Stellar Blade sold like shit as well. What was it? 1M copies?

Killjoy-NL

Nice try, but Circana’s YTD sales are based on dollar revenues. Not copies sold.

BfuOH0V.jpeg

It does mean that Sea of Thieves has sold significantly more than Stellar Blade or Ronin in the U.S., since both are around 40% higher in pricing.

For both games they talk about 1M copies.

feynoob

Banned
Wait, so the very reason games like Palworld and Helldivers 2 were such massive hits. (Best played with friends so people got their friends to purchase it too or gifted it to them.) Is a reason Sea of Thieves doesn't need to sell as much to be impressive.

What?
What kind logic is this? Those games are SP games. They aren't co-op. Co-op games are games requires another person to play with you, otherwise you won't play the game.

feynoob

Banned

And it's not because SoT is an Xbox game, I say the same for any game, like Stellar Blade:
It's the right step to more games on the platform. MS has now every reason to invest on PS5.

Mownoc

What kind logic is this? Those games are SP games. They aren't co-op. Co-op games are games requires another person to play with you, otherwise you won't play the game.
Wtf? Sure you can play Palworld and Helldivers 2 SP, you can play Sea of Thieves SP if you want. None of them would be fun. They're all primarily co-op experiences. You're crazier than I thought. Made a silly statement and then doubled down and took it to 11. Have you played any of these games? Because I've played all three.

A game needing friends to play it so making people urge their friends to get it too is a reason a game should sell less? lmfao.

"Helldivers 2 is a SP game."
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

It's the right step to more games on the platform. MS has now every reason to invest on PS5.
All games were going to be coming to PS regardless, because MS has no other option if it wants Xbox to remain relevant.

Spencer literally said so in the Business Update.

2017 game vs new game. Platform exclusive game. Shooter game, vs pirate game. Co-op in Sea of thieves isn't the same as hell divers 2. Maybe watch sea of thieves gameplay first.
Yeah nvm, confused you with someone else for a sec.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Wtf? Sure you can play Palworld and Helldivers 2 SP, you can play Sea of Thieves SP if you want. None of them would be fun. They're all primarily co-op experiences. You're crazier than I thought. Made a silly statement and then doubled down and took it to 11. Have you played any of these games? Because I've played all three.

A game needing friends to play it so making people urge their friends to get it too is a reason a game should sell less? lmfao.

"Helldivers 2 is a SP game."
tenor.gif
Yes all of them. Sea of thieves hardest to get. Palworld is full solo experience. Hell divers 2 co-op is easy.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

BfuOH0V.jpeg

Why are you showing me Circana results?

Again, we know that both games have sold 1 million copies worldwide. Why do you keep talking about only 1 region?

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Sales expectations depend only on the publisher and what they had hoped for the title.

The game on steam (over 130M monthly active users) after 7 years sold 10M. On PS5 it sold 1M in less than 4 months. A console that has sold 60M units and monthly active users may not even reach 50M. How is that "decent at best"? Sounds like a huge thing. It's not like a new GTA just released on PS5 and sold 1M units.

The game is also a live game, so it will probably remain stable for a long time. That 1M for now will easily become 2M until the end of the year. it's not like it just stopped selling.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Because clearly when you are comparing a game by an Asian developer and a game published by Xbox, USA paints the whole picture.
One is from MS, already had a community.

One is small studio, relative new IP.

It's twitter argument talk. It's only there for bad faith argument.

skyfinch

Playstation owners : "Xbox games suck!"

Playstation owners then buy 1 million sucky games. Make hype thread about how Indiana Jones is gonna choke their whips in 2025.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Playstation owners : "Xbox games suck!"

Playstation owners then buy 1 million sucky games. Make hype thread about how Indiana Jones is gonna choke their whips in 2025.
Most actual Playstation gamers aren't saying Xbox games suck, just a vocal minority here and on the internet and they are just as bad as the Colt Eastwoods of the world

Most Playstation gamers (like most Xbox gamers) just want to play games and not have to buy multiple platforms to play everything

Killjoy-NL

Sales expectations depend only on the publisher and what they had hoped for the title.

The game on steam (over 130M monthly active users) after 7 years sold 10M. On PS5 it sold 1M in less than 4 months. A console that has sold 60M units and monthly active users may not even reach 50M. How is that "decent at best"? Sounds like a huge thing. It's not like a new GTA just released on PS5 and sold 1M units.

The game is also a live game, so it will probably remain stable for a long time. That 1M for now will easily become 2M until the end of the year. it's not like it just stopped selling.
Helldivers 2 sold 12M copies in the first 12 weeks.

Sales were probably 60/40 PC vs PS5 respectively, so ~5M on PS5 in the first 12 weeks.

In comparison, 1M is decent.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Helldivers 2 sold 12M copies in the first 12 weeks.

Sales were probably 60/40 PC vs PS5 respectively, so ~5M on PS5 in the first 12 weeks.

In comparison, 1M is decent.
Huh? Helldivers 2 was a new title. You think the game would sell 5M in 12 weeks if released in 2031 on console after the pc release in 2024? Lmao

Dude come on now.

Killjoy-NL

Huh? Helldivers 2 was a new title. You think the game would sell 5M in 12 weeks if released in 2031 on console after the pc release in 2024? Lmao

Dude come on now.
"It is an old game"

Some here claimed it would sell amazingly well, being one of the top franchises of Xbox.
DenchDeckard DenchDeckard even called it a monster hit on PS5.

It is the first big Xbox title to ever hit Playstation, it was in full in the spotlight and it's a successfull ongoing Gaas title, according to Xbox fans.

It can be considered new to the PS installbase and some in here don't have a problem comparing it to Stellar Blade and Concord.

Humdinger

The game is currently selling for $40, so even when you disregard in-app purchases from the Sea of Thieves emporium, that's at least around $40 million dollars additional income for Rare

Well, no, it's not $40 million. I wonder if he intentionally or just subconsciously omitted the fact that Sony takes 30% of that. I'm guessing it's a subconscious oversight, because it would interfere with his desire to frame the news as a win for Microsoft. Which, financially, it is, I understand. And I'm glad for it. It means MS will be further incentivized to send their exclusive titles over to PS. I'm just commenting on Jez's omission of the obvious.

Top Bottom