• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Crow Returns: Millions of minority voters suppressed by electoral purge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
This is the damn worst. That got that section title "A crime wave without criminals", pretty much sums up the whole voter id conversation. This program is only maybe half way tolerable if we lived in a world where like 50% of votes are fraudulent. But since effectively 0% of votes are fraud, what's the justification?

racism, fear

What can the Democrats do about it?
Well some of them have sued Georgia sos and the Kansas sos might get sued soon. But the court is not going to get it resolved by election next week. It will drag out for months. There is only so much they can do. Whereas you on the otherhand must call the reps, inform friends and family and create a ruckus about it.

Wilsongt

I'm not surprised by this shit. The Republicans can't win by issue alone, so they cheat.

I read an article about 40,000 names on a list that people had actively work to sign up for voter that just "randomly disappeared" and the Secretary of State in Georgia refuses to even check up on it. He's a Republican, and a large amount of those people on that list were poor, minorities, and vote Democrat.

Derwind

Man that is terrifying, my name is so damn common too.

I don't mean to sound overly patriotic when I say this but I'm glad I live in Canada. Been voting suppresion free since 2008(when I turned 18).

NastyBook

Fraudulent voters:
George-W-Bush-and-his-fat-008.jpg
Perfect.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Summary for those rushing to reply: Republicans produced a list of millions of possible fraud voters, but people are flagged solely on the basis of if they share a first and last name with someone in another state. So John Paul Williams of Virginia and John R. Williams of Georgia are being flagged as being potentially the same person solely on the basis of their names; they explicitly are not checking social security numbers. This process is specifically targeting names common among minorities.

That's going to get a lot of Asians into trouble then. If we adopt English names here, then it's most likely common English first name and common Asian last name.

That's going to get a lot of Asians into trouble then. If we adopt English names here, then it's most likely common English first name and common Asian last name.
Yep. From the article:

Ho explains that a crude purge based on common names is sure to include disproportionate numbers of Asian-Americans. “I think anyone that actually paid some mind to the way Asian-American names work, our last names and first names in common usage, would know that there’d be a disproportionate impact. I’m sure the Latino community’s the same.” In fact, a sixth of all Asian-Americans share just 30 surnames and 50 percent of minorities share common last names, versus 30 percent of whites.

AAJA is a nonpartisan group, but Ho understands, she says, why one party would be tempted to purge voters from her community. While it was widely reported that more than 90 percent of African-Americans voted for Barack Obama in 2012, many may not realize that 73 percent of Asian-Americans, whether from India, China or the Pacific Islands, favored the Democrat.

Only in the United States can the principles of democracy be paraded about while simultaneously making voting illegal or as limited and hard to access as possible. What a fucking joke that it takes place on a weekday and that it's not even a federal holiday and that you need an excuse to vote early or by mail in some states.

Only in the United States can the principles of democracy be paraded about while simultaneously making voting illegal or as limited and hard to access as possible. What a fucking joke that it takes place on a weekday and that it's not even a federal holiday and that you need an excuse to vote early or by mail in some states.
As others mentioned, we have been trying to stop blacks from voting since 1776.

As others mentioned, we have been trying to stop blacks from voting since 1776.

Well if we're going to go back that far it also extended to women and non-property owners as well. I'm not ignorant of the history of Jim Crow, I just specifically meant that in this modern era of the internet and information, it's baffling how this political refrain of democracy can coexist with the actual reality of how voting works. The fact that it still takes place on a non-holiday weekday and no one raises a peep about it inherently suppressing low income voters who have to work is bizarre. You would think any proposal from a democrat to change it would be a safe bet just because of the optics of opposing, how do you justify your refusal to allow everyone the opportunity to vote? I feel like if there was a law being proposed of that nature, Republicans wouldn't be able to dodge the underlying issue with just dog whistles or voter fraud.

Duress

It's not stupidity, it's a calculated risk.

First of all, they're doing it covertly.

Secondly, even if a news organization does find out, the reaction from much of
white
America will be "pshhhh, Al Jazeera America, like I'd believe them. And how bad can it really be? I bet there's lots of voter fraud being prevented even if mistakes are made."

There will be a strong countermessage from the likes of the GOP and Fox News that this is being overblown.

You need to read a history book. Voter disenfranchisement is as American as apple pie.

That's what I'm saying. You should know that it's messed up when they screw with voting. If you're you're going to call out my ignorance, at least be informative.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Except that same party controls the house and has had the country in a chokehold for four years.

Thanks to gerrymandering they're going to continue to hold the House all the way until 2022 at the earliest (the first mid-term election after the 2020 Census). And even then, they'll probably still keep it until 2024 because Democrats don't vote in mid-terms.

That said, they won't win the presidency again for a very long time unless the Democratic candidate straight up murders someone or fucks a donkey live on stage during the debate or, worst of all, claims to be an atheist. Can't really gerrymander the national vote (aside from breaking California up into 6 states or just throwing away 6 million votes because people have the same first name).

I live in Virginia and have a crazy common name. Like, first-last combo is common enough that I run into people with my name all the time. Now I'm afraid I'll be taken off voter rolls. At least I'm white, so it's a little less likely. Shit needs to stop.

KingGondo

Banned
That's what I'm saying. You should know that it's messed up when they screw with voting. If you're you're going to call out my ignorance, at least be informative.
You called voting "one of the core values of the U.S."

I'm arguing that it isn't a real core value, because throughout all of American history one group or another has been disenfranchised because of gender, race, class or some other arbitrary social marker.

We claim to hold the right to vote as universal, but it's bullshit. Just like "liberty and justice for all."

I didn't intend to sound condescending, but there are countless instances of those in power (primarily white men) suppressing voting or manipulating the electorate in their favor over the course of American history.

Damaniel

Banned
More proof that if you can't win legitimately (because your platform sucks), you can win by rigging the system.

The only 'fraud' going on here is the fraud by which the GOP is collectively attempting to disenfranchise people whose only crime is voting for a party other than the Republican party.

number47

Sure. Why not just bring back two proofs of Id. The real problem is the waste of our taxes wasting time making bullshit laws.

stufte

Well, my blood is boiling.

How did we already get to "both sides are bad!"?

Maybe because there are a bunch of "D"s attached to this as well?

Alaska Mead Treadwell R
Arizona Ken Bennett R
Arkansas Mark Martin R
Colorado Scott Gessler R
Georgia Brian Kemp R
Idaho Ben Ysursa R
Illinois Jesse White D
Indiana Connie Lawson R
Iowa Matt Schultz R
Kansas Kris Kobach R
Kentucky Alison Lundergan Grimes D
Louisiana Tom Schedler R
Massachusetts William F Glavin D
Michigan Ruth Johnson R
Mississippi Delbert Hosemann R
Missouri Jason Kander D
Nebraska John A. Gale R
Nevada Ross Miller D
North Carolina Kim Strach Non-partisan
Ohio Jon Husted R
Oklahoma Chris Benge R
Pennsylvania Carol Aichele R
South Dakota Jason Gant R
South Carolina Mark Hammond R
Tennessee Tre Hargett R
Virginia Levar Stoney D
West Virginia Natalie Tennant D

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I can only seem to find a graph with numbers Matches in crosscheck, but it's confusing to me.

Edit: Does it mean Blacks and Asians have double the amount per total in the list?
The article goes out of its way to obfuscate the fact that this impacts millions more whites than any other race. Not sure why they did that.

Mr. Patch

My dad's name is on the list. He was in Georgia, then moved to Louisiana, then moved back to GA.

So they really might stop him from voting?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Wow. This is ridiculous. Like supervillain levels of evil here, lol. Democrats and Republicans are the same though - thoroughly disgusted with the Dems that are on board with this.

Wow. This is ridiculous. Like supervillain levels of evil here, lol. Democrats and Republicans are the same though - thoroughly disgusted with the Dems that are on board with this.

7 Ds to 20 Rs. And many of them are from southern leaning states where there is a "push" against fraud.

Both parties are clearly the same.

HylianTom

Banned
7 Ds to 20 Rs. And many of them are from southern leaning states where there is a "push" against fraud.

Both parties are clearly the same.

More countering on this "bu-bu-bu-both-parties-are-the-same" bullshit we see everywhere:
Everything remotely controversial is challenged in court these days. Knowing this, which party's nominees do I trust more to be fair on this?

Gamerloid

We'll never know the true voice of America. From the beginning tactics to silence certain voices have always been around. It just doesn't end.

God, that's fucking horrific. Everyone, regardless of whether or not you live in a Crosscheck state, start calling your representatives in Congress, call your local news outlets. Get this thing on the radar.

EDIT: You know what's hilarious? I literally just registered to vote in Ohio yesterday, and my name may be off the list by election day. I mean, I've got a very uncommon first name/ last name combo, but still. Scary to think about.

So how's this not completely illegal? They are accusing millions of people of a serious crime without any substantial proof, and just before the election.

smurfx

get some go again
good thing al jazeera is doing some real journalism while cnn and other news channels are too busy with ebola. hopefully other journalist follow up and start spreading this information to other viewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom