• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Danger |OT| If You Ain't 3nd, You're Last

krae_man

Johnanderson said:
Ok... i tried like maybe 200 times to beat the time in "Target - Kaboom!" ... is there something i don't know... and how can i quickly do that last jump with the reversed target? I'm pissed right now with this track

I had that exact same problem:lol

Found out if you hit the target time on the button, it still counts:D

krae_man

The leaderboards in the levels where editing is required to complete are pretty much broken. The leaders are the ones who moved the start like the furthest back and were bored enough to do most backflips for 10 minutes straight to build up a massive multiplier.

Edit: Oh God, that second last level is brutal.

Edit 2: 100% completion now Whoo!

Bought this yesterday. Not bad. Pretty good mix of game styles, as others have said, but I wish there was a greater sense of speed.

I guess I am still searching for a game that is halfway between this and Trials. I want some Motocross Maniacs action.

elseanio

I was really enjoying Joe Danger. I've been on it none stop getting all the stars for every level. It's been one of my favourite games this year. That was all until I opened up Director's Cut :( Fuck these levels. I really want 100% though :lol

Interstellar

Neo Member
elseanio said:
I was really enjoying Joe Danger. I've been on it none stop getting all the stars for every level. It's been one of my favourite games this year. That was all until I opened up Director's Cut :( Fuck these levels. I really want 100% though :lol

Same here, trying to get 100%. The second last level (coin dash) is really hard though. Like 200+ attempts :p But the gameplay is so good and addictive. Just one more try. grrrr

krae_man

Yeah those last few levels are tough.

I'm dissappointed the Level editor is so gimped. You can't create a level anywhere remotely close to the size and scope of the levels in the game.

You are way WAY to limited in the number of items available to put in your track, the number of each item you can use(only one of each loop really?), and the overall number of items limit.

Hell some of the existing levels in the game have more stars in them alone then the max number of total pieces you can use.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I just bought this 30 minutes ago based on the reactions here. Anybody else get a weird stuttering pause during the action - almost like it's loading in the middle of the race? Irritating as hell.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Big B said:
what are the controls for the game like, same as trials?

R2 = Accelarate
L2 = Reverse
L1/R1 = Tricks
X = Boost
Hold square = Duck
Release square = Jump
Left analogue = wheelie/spin

That's is. Trials is just accelerate/reverse and left analogue if I recall.

Interstellar

Neo Member
bishoptl said:
I just bought this 30 minutes ago based on the reactions here. Anybody else get a weird stuttering pause during the action - almost like it's loading in the middle of the race? Irritating as hell.

No, smooth 60fps here. 30 in split-screen.

V_Ben

Banned
bishoptl said:

thats never happened to me either. weird stuff!

elseanio

bishoptl said:

Only times it did this was during the races, with more than 3 riders on the screen. Never got any stutters in the single player tracks.

conman

Interstellar said:
Same here, trying to get 100%. The second last level (coin dash) is really hard though. Like 200+ attempts :p But the gameplay is so good and addictive. Just one more try. grrrr
This level is also all I have left for 100%. I'm trying to pretend it doesn't exist.

elseanio

My two most satisfying 100% Trophies are Super Stardust and now Joe Danger. PSN titles should get a mini platinum :lol That 2nd to last Coin Dash was ridiculous. I must have tried over 400 times :lol

V_Ben

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:
Apparently the game sold 50k week one on PSN according to Gameindustry.biz. Article is registration only though.

thats pretty good for a downloadable game! congrats to the guys at hello games :D

conman

Katana_Strikes said:
Apparently the game sold 50k week one on PSN according to Gameindustry.biz. Article is registration only though.
Saw that. Great to know. Definitely one of my new faves on PSN.

19Kilo

Finally picked this up yesterday after it had fallen off my radar for so long. Very fun little game, exactly what I was hoping for.

see5harp

Goddamn the 2nd to last level was a bitch. Absolutely, mind numbingly frustrating. After finishing the level without even trying to do tricks, I was in the top 100, so I highly doubt many people have beat that one.

conman

see5harp said:
Goddamn the 2nd to last level was a bitch. Absolutely, mind numbingly frustrating. After finishing the level without even trying to do tricks, I was in the top 100, so I highly doubt many people have beat that one.
Congrats. I gave up for the time being. I'll come back to it someday, I'm sure. But damn, is it a bitch.

The worst part is that you need to get the stars in that level to get three of the trophies in the game (collecting all the stars, collecting all the combo stars, and collecting all the time stars). They should have just left those to the main levels and used these Director's Cut levels as true "bonus" stages that you don't need for the trophies. Then have a separate trophy for getting all the stars in the Director's Cut stages.

Jme

Just picked this up this morning... absolutely in love :D
Could some of you send some awesome custom levels?

PSN: jmehatesyou

I recently picked up this because a friend wanted us to play it together, which was fun for a while. But now that I tried it again by myself I can safely say that it´s the worst purchase I made this year. :(

The game is good at what i tries to do, but I expected something else. I knew that it was more like platform game than a real racing game, and that it was about replaying levels to achieve all goals. Fine, that I knew. But I did not know that it was so focused on collecting all kinds of stuff. Stars, coins, hidden coins, letters. Some people may like it, and for them this game must be heaven. But I really hate it, since I can´t find any meaning in it. It breaks all flow in the gameplay, and makes you replay the levels over and over again for challenges that is not really about any kind of skill. I can see no reasons for anyone to do that if they have other games to play in their collection. Which I have.

Collecting things was one of those gameplay excuses I really hoped would have dissapeared by now. Instead it has completely ruined two PSN games for me - this and Gravity Crash. Maybe playing user levels could save this mess, but the "campaign" is something I will try to avoid from now on.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think I'm gonna get this tomorrow.
The mostly positive impressions around here and the comparisons to Trials and Excite Bike have me intrigued. I just wish there was a demo.

Agent X

CecilRousso said:
The game is good at what i tries to do, but I expected something else. I knew that it was more like platform game than a real racing game, and that it was about replaying levels to achieve all goals. Fine, that I knew. But I did not know that it was so focused on collecting all kinds of stuff. Stars, coins, hidden coins, letters. Some people may like it, and for them this game must be heaven. But I really hate it, since I can´t find any meaning in it. It breaks all flow in the gameplay, and makes you replay the levels over and over again for challenges that is not really about any kind of skill.

Well, I understand that the game isn't your cup of tea, but I'd have to disagree with your last comment. Most of these challenges really are about skill, but just happen to have "collecting" involved with them.

For example, the coin dashes are really about trying to navigate through a particular segment of the track within the allotted amount of time. The coins are there to ensure you adhere to the correct path...you've got to stay on track to collect them all, and you need to do it quickly. That's certainly a test of skill in my book!

Similarly, with the D-A-N-G-E-R letters, these frequently involve some kind of risky jump on or near a dangerous obstacle. You're collecting the letters, but again the test of skill comes in making sure you can successfully make the jump without crashing.

One of the great things about the game is that the levels have multiple goals which often require very different approaches, so you'll have to replay them in order to figure out everything. If you're having trouble, then it's best to pick a specific goal, and gear your mind towards accomplishing just that goal during your session. You might be able to knock off another goal or two in the process, but don't worry if you can't get everything all at once. In fact, later levels are designed so that you cannot possibly accomplish all of the goals in a single run, usually because goals like the coin dashes and D-A-N-G-E-R letters may be placed on separate paths. Don't worry about it--just chip away at one or two goals at a time, and you can return to the tough stuff later.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Question: Does Joe Danger support custom soundtracks? It's really nice to have in PSN games, I'd like to play this while listening to my own musics.

Snuggler said:
Question: Does Joe Danger support custom soundtracks? It's really nice to have in PSN games, I'd like to play this while listening to my own musics.

It's one of the things that they'll be including in a patch.

Agent X

SolidSnakex, do you know what else is supposed to be in the patch? I'd love it if you could scroll the online scoreboards to see other scores rather than just a handful of scores above or below yours. I can't even view the entire friends list scoreboard as it is right now.

The only two things that they've mentioned being in the patch is custom soundtracks and replay saving and sharing. You should probably email Hello Games (or send them a message on Twitter) and ask them about the feature you're referring to. They're trying to implement things that fans want and that seems like something that would be easy for them to fix.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man I'm only 12% into the game... and I can tell that this is going to be TOUGH to get all the stars in the game! I just finished one time trial level that was really challenging, I made it by .2 seconds! :lol

Any tips on racing "fast" through a level? I feel like I get too much hang time from springs.

sn00zer

Playing on a 1080i tv and looks like shit...reverts to a weird stretched composite resolution making everything pixelated...only game I own that does this..any advice?

Just posted about this in the psn store thread but I really hope they patch a better level sharing system into this game.

The one now is useless.

This game has so much potential. I hope they (Hello Games) support it for a while.

we_are138

Neo Member
Just bought this game. Felt I would be doing a disservice to it if i didn't post here. Really have nothing new to add though. The game is incredibly fun and easily the best game I've purchased on PSN. Really hope HelloGames continues to support it. I will be recommending it to everyone i know.

I played the generous demo on PS3 last night and while I can see it is a good game I was bored with it by the end of the demo. The game really reminds me of GripShift which I really loved back in the day. Unfortunately I played GS to the point of being sick of it so by the end of the Joe Danger demo it was starting to feel too similar to what I got tired of, i.e. replaying the same levels over and over by necessity in order to complete all goals and proceed.

GeoramA

Loving this game.

It's definitely the best score-chasing game to hit PSN since Shatter and Super Stardust. Glad it's doing well.

Yesterday we also released something we call the “People’s Patch”. It answers pretty much every piece of feedback we’ve had from the community. It’s something for fans to get really excited about, and if you haven’t played the game before, you’re in for a treat. It’s totally free, and all you have to do is boot Joe Danger up to get all this new cool stuff.

Here’s some of the key new features:
Level sharing and more Levels
Replays and YouTube support
Custom soundtracks
More multiplayer levels
New level editing props
Costumes
Downloadable tours
Hidden stuff!
Lots more

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/26/joe-danger-the-peoples-patch

Maldoror

Big B said:
wow tried the demo and it's pretty fun.

but are my settings messed up or is it supposed to be 4:3 ratio?

Do you play on an SDTV ?

I play on a 16:9 SDTV and the image (except the HUD) stays flattened until I switch my tv to 4:3 :/

edit : I uploaded a video to illustrate : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWaC_TQN7lU
(don't pay attention to my poor skills, I still need more training :lol )

Am I the only one playing this "wrong"? I mean by trying and trying and trying to get all the challenges done before moving into the next level?

Top Bottom