• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Danger |OT| If You Ain't 3nd, You're Last

mrklaw said:
question - hearing all this Tony Hawk stuff - is this game really 'tricky' with lots of button combos, or is it more straightforward than that? Was never a big fan of TH (sorry) but loved kikstart II etc.
As someone who struggled with Tony Hawk, I have to say this is a lot more straightforward...at least so far.

One of the goals on some tracks is to do 100% combos all the way through. That would be impossible (for me) with Hawk, but I can pull it off seamlessly in this game after only a couple of tries.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay that's almost one dual shock 3 down! I need a break from this game for an hour or two :lol

Frustrating.

BeeDog

Fun little game. Played through some stages and I'm feeling it, although I fucking suck at getting good scores. :lol

Nakiro

Few hours of playing last night and my hands hurt already, I better watch out and take it easy, really fun and addictive game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Very enjoyable game, but I don't like how level sharing is handled. I'm not talking about the lack of a central server for levels (even though that would of course have been nice), but the fact that levels that get sent to you can only be accessed by adding them to one of your own user level "slots". There doesn't seem to be any distinction between levels you have created yourself and ones you've been sent by others, and you can't see who has created which level. I'd like a seperate listing for received levels, the way it works now seems very unstructured.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
:lol This game wasn't even tested, that's the funny part. 4 people indeed!

You know what I'll mean when you get to that stage for speed run + hit all spots.

GeekyDad

Anyone know if you unlock more items for use in the sandbox, or is what's there pretty much it? I'm at 25 percent completion (on about my seventh tour), and there's a lot of cool stuff I've seen in events that's missing from the track editor.

GeeDuhb

Gacha-pin said:
The game is soooooooooo fun and I need a rest for my hands:D

Do you use both index fingers and middle fingers for bumper & trigger buttons or only index fingers?

I wish hardware makers switch the positions of the bumper buttons and the trigger buttons.

That has been my biggest problem! It feels so odd to use index/middle, but you almost need to in order to get the most "bang for your buck," score wise...

mujun

Does anyone know if (and when) this will be available as a code only buy on Amazon? I've been keeping an eye out hoping that it would be out already but no luck. What dictates which games make it and which games don't anyway?

CoLaN

img_1233drxq.jpg

After a few hours of practice it's easy to pull out crazy stunts :lol

Yoshichan

You could say I've mastered this stage now :lol

1: (me): 290 million
2: 22 million
3: 80k
4: 70k

Carl

Yoshichan said:
You could say I've mastered this stage now :lol

1: (me): 290 million
2: 22 million
3: 80k
4: 70k

:lol That's one hell of a lead

Need to by this when PSN is back up. Would have gotten it earlier if the store hadn't gone down early

Yoshichan

I don't know how much my right hand can handle this :/ Been playing this non-stop since 1pm (it's 4am now...) Currently at 75 % :lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, I'm making this awesome level, and... there's no way to set checkpoints? That means everyone who plays my level will have to start over from the beginning if they die. Since I have designed several devilish segments, that's gonna make the level pretty annoying to play. It's also a bit weird how some other stuff is missing from the editor, such as the D-A-N-G-E-R letters (mini-stars, targets and coins are there).

And like I said earlier, I don't really like how shared levels are handled (there's no distinction made between your own levels and levels sent to you - the latter are just added to your created levels, with nothing to tell them apart from your own).

I guess you can't expect too much from a tiny dev team like this (and they have certainly made an amazingly entertaining game), but when it comes to the editor there are a few really serious flaws that I hope they can take care of through patching.

Yoshichan

:lol So I just beat the game (85%, maxed everything) and
directors cut opens up
. Why did they even bother calling it that? Just call it "terribly designed stages" because I'm noticing sloppy work from them compared to the normal ones.

Edit: 1 hour later edit... FINALLY beat the stage :lol 90%... progression is slow now.

Edit: 3 hour later edit... final stage (96%) is ridiculous. In a bad way. Definitely a score lower since it doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever without checkpoint.

Edit: Attempt 268... haha, why am I even playing this anymore? I'm not having fun so I should just quit. But at 97%? Really?

Edit: I just noticed, my L2 and R2 are not working as they should anymore. Thanks for letting us drive with sensitive triggers!

Final edit: Finally, 100%... it took me from 1pm to 10am (21 hours non-stop)...

Final impressions: It's a fun little game, nothing amazing though. It's good. I wouldn't say it was worth 15 bucks, it should've been 10. Then again, I haven't played with a friend yet so (why would I? The framerate goes below 30...).

5/10

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yoshichan said:
So I've been playing since I started downloading and my god this game is fun :lol I don't progress until I get all stars, which is the right way to play IMO! Master all the stages~

This is what I do, too.

I just buggered a ~70m combo and now I'm too damn pissed off to give the level another shot. However, having said that, I'm finding the cheerful music to be rather persuasive. :lol

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Yoshichan said:
directors cut opens up
. Why did they even bother calling it that? Just call it "terribly designed stages" because I'm noticing sloppy work from them compared to the normal ones.

Edit: 1 hour later edit... FINALLY beat the stage :lol 90%... progression is slow now.

Edit: 3 hour later edit... final stage (96%) is ridiculous. In a bad way. Definitely a score lower since it doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever without checkpoint.

Edit: Attempt 268... haha, why am I even playing this anymore? I'm not having fun so I should just quit. But at 97%? Really?

Edit: I just noticed, my L2 and R2 are not working as they should anymore. Thanks for letting us drive with sensitive triggers!

Final impressions: It's a fun little game, nothing amazing though. It's good. I wouldn't say it was worth 15 bucks, it should've been 10. Then again, I haven't played with a friend yet so (why would I? The framerate goes below 30...).

5/10

Contradictory post is contradictory. $15 for 21 HOURS of entertainment is suddenly 5/10?

Ok.

smh

Brashnir

McBradders said:
Contradictory post is contradictory. $15 for 21 HOURS of entertainment is suddenly 5/10?

Ok.

smh

game length = game score. How can any non-MMO ever score over a 2/10 on the McBradders scale?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Because you don't just pay normal price for a MMO, you pay a subscription fee. So it's in a different league. What is true for most MMOs though is that you get lots of enjoyment out of it per buck compared to someone that plays all kinds of new releases and jumps from game to game. The same with a person that exclusively plays Fifa 10 or Modern Warfare 2

I echo the sentiment of McBradders... Reading about playing a game for 21 hours and then saying it's bad. I mean really?

How can you play a game that long when you dislike it, I do not get it.

bandresen said:
Because you don't just pay normal price for a MMO, you pay a subscription fee. So it's in a different league. What is true for most MMOs though is that you get lots of enjoyment out of it per buck compared to someone that plays all kinds of new releases and jumps from game to game. The same with a person that exclusively plays Fifa 10 or Modern Warfare 2

I echo the sentiment of McBradders... Reading about playing a game for 21 hours and then saying it's bad. I mean really?

Shouldn't you guys be quoting Yoshichan....:lol

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Brashnir said:
game length = game score. How can any non-MMO ever score over a 2/10 on the McBradders scale?

Yeah, yeah I see the errors of my post, thankfully someone with a little more time came and helped me out :)

I certainly wouldn't spend 21 hours straight on a game I only considered a 5/10.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

r.gun

Neo Member
Yoshichan said:

How did you play this game for 21 hours straight?! Don't get me wrong, it's fun and addictive for short bursts... but 21 hours straight?!!?

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Loving this game so much, it is starting to hurt. Mainly my hands from clamping the controller too tight.
Awesome game.

Feel free to add me to your friendlist for Leaderboards and trackswapping:
PSN ID: Neckbeard69

Moobabe

Loaded it up again today to see my scores being eclipsed by some goons (probably from gaf no less). Time to push my scores back up.

Amneisac

So this sounds like this isn't really a good split screen title for me to play with my wife, huh? I mean she's pretty good at games, but I don't see her enjoying a game that requires tons of crazy control work. Although she doesn't mind re-trying the same level 100 times.

Can you play through the content in split screen? Or can you just play unlocked levels. Basically I want a split screen game you can progress through in split screen. None of this mario kart / modnation crap where you can either progress in single player or just jack off in split screen.

Yoshichan

bandresen said:
Yoshichan said:
It's a fun little game, nothing amazing though. It's good.
lol... and here we go again:
micromagic said:
Might consider getting this since someone spent 21 hours straight on it. Must be good.
Yoshichan said:
It's a fun little game, nothing amazing though. It's good.
:lol
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
What what what? you play an average game for 21 hours straight?............... THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!
LiquidMetal14 said:
21 hours straight is way too long.
r.gun said:
How did you play this game for 21 hours straight?! Don't get me wrong, it's fun and addictive for short bursts... but 21 hours straight?!!?
Yup, 21 hours straight. That's what I did. Do you guys actually find that unbelievable :/? No MMORPG players in here?

EDIT: Then again, I did sleep from that post until now so that's about 11 hours of sleep :lol

crispyben

Hey, did anybody figure why each of the 10 slots in the level editor is subdivided in 16 further slots? I already had trouble figuring how to get a finish line, but this remains a mystery to me... Fun game otherwise, really a platformer at times!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
crispyben said:
Hey, did anybody figure why each of the 10 slots in the level editor is subdivided in 16 further slots? I already had trouble figuring how to get a finish line, but this remains a mystery to me... Fun game otherwise, really a platformer at times!

Each "sub-level" (1-1, 1-2, etc) is simply a smaller part of the level. You have to edit them individually (probably because there's a limit on how many objects the game engine can handle in one section of the track), but when you play the level they are seamlessly strung together into one long track.

The finish line is automatically placed after the last item on the last sub-level slot you've used for that level.

What I don't get is why there are only 10 slots for levels (which are shared between your own levels and ones that get sent to you, since there's no distinction made between them). Just let me use as much of my HDD space as I want.

Related question (which I've already asked, but not gotten answered): Has anyone figured out if (and if so, how) you can place mid-level checkpoints in your tracks? I haven't found a way to do this, which means my entire level (it's getting pretty long, and there are many places to die) has to be completed in one go. Not good for when I want someone else to try it out.

crispyben

RoadHazard said:
Each "sub-level" (1-1, 1-2, etc) is simply a smaller part of the level. You have to edit them individually (probably because there's a limit on how many objects the game engine can handle in one section of the track), but when you play the level they are seamlessly strung together into one long track.

The finish line is automatically placed after the last item on the last sub-level slot you've used for that level.

What I don't get is why there are only 10 slots for levels (which are shared between your own levels and ones that get sent to you, since there's no distinction made between them). Just let me use as much of my HDD space as I want.

Related question (which I've already asked, but not gotten answered): Has anyone figured out if (and if so, how) you can place mid-level checkpoints in your tracks? I haven't found a way to do this, which means my entire level (it's getting pretty long, and there are many places to die) has to be completed in one go. Not good for when I want someone else to try it out.
Thanks. You'd think the checkpoints would be placed automatically, maybe at each sub-level junction...

see5harp

Yoshichan said:
directors cut opens up

5/10

Seek help.

Yoshichan

see5harp said:
Seek help.
Seek and destroooooooy!
BobTheFork said:
Tales of Horror: Yoshichan gaming sessions, He won't even get up to shit.
True story :lol

Top Bottom