• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Danger |OT| If You Ain't 3nd, You're Last

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Drinking Hatorade said:
this is great news! last week i was wondering when this would release. day 1 for me.

any word on if created tracks can be shared with the community, or is it limited to just friends like the XBLA version of Trials HD?
Hopefully there's a hub like setup.

stuminus3

I love how some of those screens have horrific aliasing and some don't. :lol

I'm going to presume the actual game isn't like that. Agreed on the Kickstart on C64 comment. We need more of these games.

xbhaskarx

V_Ben said:
3nd.jpg

3nd :lol

"Hopefully there's a hub like setup."

There's been vids of the main menu, etc. There's not. Keep in mind this is made by 4 dudes self-publishing it. No funds for something like community hub servers, etc. I believe I read in an interview that tracks are shared via messages.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Teknopathetic said:

There's been vids of the main menu, etc. There's not. Keep in mind this is made by 4 dudes self-publishing it. No funds for something like community hub servers, etc. I believe I read in an interview that tracks are shared via messages.
That's fine. Knowing the size of the team it's understandable.

Teknopathetic said:

understandable. i will have to watch this thread to swap tracks with people then.

wouwie

Looks fun! I wonder if there will be slower more technical obstacle races. Looks very fast in the videos.

A lot of years ago, i played a similar game with a motorbike. It was 2D and it was either on Amiga or on pc. I loved that game but i can't remember the name. It was slow and technical though, manouvering over all kind of obstacles.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Am I right in thinking this is 'kind of' like Trials/Excitebike for PSN?

If so, I might pick it up.

RM: It’s obvious that Joe Danger will compared to the likes of Trials HD. How do you feel about that?

SM: We’re totally cool with that comparison. Once people actually play Joe Danger, they tend to be reminded of other games though, games like Excitebike, Paperboy, Crazy Taxi, Sonic. Those are certainly the kind of titles we’re inspired by, old school classics. I love Trials, but I play it with an intense grimace on my face, I guess you could say we have an abusive relationship. When I watch people play Joe Danger they are normally grinning, and that’s what we’re all about. The games I grew up with always had that effect.

We grew up with the SNES and Sega Genesis, so for us bright and vibrant means fun, but you know, not necessarily casual. Probably the opposite, like Sega used to make some of the world’s most hardcore games, but still with that distinctive, happy-blue-sky style. Super Monkey Ball is a really good example, it’s hardcore, but it’s so charming you just can’t stay mad at it. We want Joe Danger to be like that. The people, who are good at it, are amazing to watch, it’s absolutely a game of skill, but it’s also really fun to play.

http://resolution-magazine.co.uk/content/interview-joe-danger/

V_Ben

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Sounds cool, will have to give the demo a go.

I have some bad news...

There's no demo. The studio was too small to put out both demo + full game simultaneously.

Mrbob

Can't wait. I'm down day one.

mujun said:
Am I reading this thread on GAF? Everyone is so accepting of this games shortcomings :lol

This is because the game looks really fun to play. :D

Agent X

I don't want to wait until the "3nd" day for this game--I'll get it on the 1st day!

wouwie said:
Looks fun! I wonder if there will be slower more technical obstacle races. Looks very fast in the videos.

A lot of years ago, i played a similar game with a motorbike. It was 2D and it was either on Amiga or on pc. I loved that game but i can't remember the name. It was slow and technical though, manouvering over all kind of obstacles.

It could be the Kikstart series. I played both of them on C64 (amusingly, Kikstart 2 included the first one on the back side of the disk!), but I believe the second one was out on Amiga as well. I don't know if they ever came out on PC.

Some new impressions from Destructoid

Everything about it screams "you will play this with a smile on your face, and you will like it, damn it." From the bright, Pixar-like design of its thrill-seeking protagonist to the loop-de-loops and fake shark tanks, it's hard hard not to love what Hello Games is selling. Even the damned theme music, a happy, jazzy tune that will get caught in your head for hours and have you shuffling your feet, will make you grin. And that's before you even you press start on the DualShock 3.

It starts off easy enough with a "Joe Danger Returns" level, teaching you the basics of movement on the bike. Press R2 to accelerator, L2 to break, and lean with the left analog stick; pull back on the stick while moving forward to pop a wheelie. As you unlock stages and the game progresses, more skills are introduced -- you gain boost by rocking wheelies and doing tricks; you use boost by holding X; hold square to duck under objects, then release it to hop; you can flip in the air after hitting jumps by leaning forward or backwards, and pull off different tricks by tapping combinations of the trigger buttons.

Any one thing by itself is simple to get the hang of, and you'll feel completely in control in no time. But you'll soon find that there's more than what you see on the surface in Joe Danger. It's not a game about simply going fast, although you'll be score on that. And it's not just about pulling off cool stunts, but that's factored into your total score per level as well. What Joe Danger actually is turns out to be an odd (and unsurprisingly fun) mixture of racing, stunt-based gaming, and… platforming?

Talking about Joe Danger, the four guys at Hello Games (yes, this title was created just by a tiny team of four) evident Excitebike, an obvious influence. But they also reference Sonic the Hedgehog, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, and even pinball. Combine the three, and you see the possibilities -- they're scattered all over the stages of Joe Danger that I've played. You roll on top of springs to launch up in the air, over a hurdle and on to a bullseye target to score more points. (You can even move forwards and backwards using the gas/break while in mid-flight.) While in the air, pull off tricks to earn even more points and boost to race quickly to the end, to rocket your score even higher. You can even link tricks together using the wheelie to boost a combo multiplier, not unlike Tony Hawk Pro Skater's manual move.

Each level is littered with obstacles -- ramps, jumps, shark tanks, and more -- and certain conditions are to be met in order to clear the level and earn Gold Stars. Acting as the currency in the game, you'll use the stars to unlock later levels. It's possible to complete stages without earning any stars (or even beating the base requirements for getting a bronze trophy), but you'll want to focus on certain goals to earn them: hit all of the targets in a level, collect all of the silver mini-stars scattered about the tracks, or full combo (by linking with the wheelie) an entire level. It seems like there's plenty of replayability here in each of the game's tracks.

http://www.destructoid.com/i-double-dog-dare-you-not-to-have-fun-with-joe-danger-175151.phtml

No online put it into my maybe file, but now since its $15, I am skipping it until a PSN price drop, the demo blows me away or the impressions from GAF.

V_Ben

Banned
FinFan said:
They were demoing this at PAX east with a 360 controller. Sure it's PSN only?

Yes, It's PSN only. They were developing for all 3 at the beginning, as they didn't have a deal. Now they have a deal.

mjc

Looks like Trials HD for babies, but I like the idea of constructing your own level with water tanks and stuff.

Glix

I'm gonna pick this up for sure. Looks fun as hell, and I want to support these guys!

This might be the most moist game this year!

iratA

Had my little eye on this one for a while. Will get this and Pixel Junk Shooter 2.0,+,EX,encore or whatever its gonna be called.

GeeDuhb

I am SO pumped about this game! It looks awesome. The only downside is, no server for sharing levels...guess we will just have to share through GAF!

Edit:

BTW, SolidSnakeX, LOVE the avatar! <3 Hayley Williams.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
mjc said:
Looks like Trials HD for babies, but I like the idea of constructing your own level with water tanks and stuff.
Trials HD was a physics based platformer. This looks like more of a racing game.

Adam J.

I'm getting this game ASAP!

Haven't bought a PSN title since they switched over to putting stuff out earlier in the week. I remember games not hitting the server until like 7:00pm in the evening. Is it still the same?

In a lot of ways, Joe Danger feels like it was made by Nintendo: it will constantly surprise and delight you, in the way the best first-party Nintendo games do. It's got bright, cartoon visuals, and the level design encourages return visits to look for all the hidden stars and coins. However, it wasn't made by a giant corporation with 30 years experience making games -- it was made by just four dudes, and this is their first project together. These four guys have made one of the most polished, full-featured, and downright fun games available on the PlayStation 3. It's obvious they learned a lot from Nintendo by playing Excitebike as kids. Joe Danger is a joy ride.

10 Presentation
Single- and multiplayer modes, community features, and a fun level editor.
9.0 Graphics
Joe's stunt tracks are bright and colorful. Watching him get swirled around in the shark tank never gets old.
8.5 Sound
Cheery, groovy tunes accompany your stunt adventures.
9.5 Gameplay
A great variety of challenges and freedom to explore will have you addicted. Joe Danger just feels good to play.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
You'll return to each stage many times over to find all the hidden secrets and record your best times.
OVERALL
Incredible
(out of 10)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1094988p1.html

Top Bottom