• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Danger |OT| If You Ain't 3nd, You're Last

k0ji-wd

Awesome for them to get that review score, damn

Easily my most (only?) anticipated PSN game other than Dead Nation, I can't wait for this, loved the look of it since it was first announced. . .fuck yeah!

beast786

k0ji-wd said:
Awesome for them to get that review score, damn

Easily my most (only?) anticipated PSN game other than Dead Nation, I can't wait for this, loved the look of it since it was first announced. . .fuck yeah!

Thats exactly how I feel.

Great Score.

jiggles

Banned
Yeah, considering how the review text consists of what is essentially a bulletpointing of the feature list, I think I'll wait for a few more before going nuts. It doesn't really explain why the game is so good at all, and therefore reads like it was bought.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
jigglywiggly said:
Yeah, considering how the review text consists of what is essentially a bulletpointing of the feature list, I think I'll wait for a few more before going nuts. It doesn't really explain why the game is so good at all, and therefore reads like it was bought.
I think the game speaks for itself really.

kassatsu

Banned
jigglywiggly said:
I am sure the 4man team has all the money in the world to buy a review from IGN...

jiggles

Banned
kassatsu said:
I am sure the 4man team has all the money in the world to buy a review from IGN...
Hey, I'm not saying it's the case. I'm just saying it's how it reads. My point is that the review is shit, not that there's been necessarily been foul play.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just so I'm clear, how does this game control? Is it "push X, go forwards" or is it anything like Trials where you have more precise and subtle control over the bike/rider?

LiquidMetal14

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Just so I'm clear, how does this game control? Is it "push X, go forwards" or is it anything like Trials where you have more precise and subtle control over the bike/rider?
3 plane system, controls not so sure. I've heard no complaints about that at all though.

The IGN review reads like SMG2, pure fun. Doesn't need to be exquisitely written. You can see it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm pretty sure you have control over acceleration, I've seen a pretty controlled speed up and slow downs. Even if it's pressing X to go forwards, face buttons are pressure sensitive on DS3 so they can use that.

hey_it's_that_dog said:

From what i've read it basically controls like a platformer with the difference of course being that you're on a bike. So when you hit a ramp you'll be able to slow Joe in mid air so that he's able to land in the center of a target. Here's a long gameplay video which should give you a good idea of how much you have over Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfn-_wcsAKw

surly

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
So when you hit a ramp you'll be able to slow Joe in mid air so that he's able to land in the center of a target.
Really? I don't like the sound of that. I'd rather use the speed and position of the rider to dictate how far he jumps. Maybe it'll work better than I think though.

Does anyone know if there'll definitely be a demo for this? The question was asked on the Euro PS Blog, but there was no answer from either a Sony bod or one of the devs.

LiquidMetal14

surly said:
Really? I don't like the sound of that. I'd rather use the speed and position of the rider to dictate how far he jumps. Maybe it'll work better than I think though.

Does anyone know if there'll definitely be a demo for this? The question was asked on the Euro PS Blog, but there was no answer from either a Sony bod or one of the devs.
No demo. If you like Excitebike you will love this though.

mujun said:
The hyperbole in this thread is crazy :lol
I guess I should feel differentially based on what I've seen/read?

Seriously not the tangent I expected this thread to take after the 9.5 IGN review.

I publicly apologize for being excited about this game :/

surly

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Grrrrr!

I noticed the IGN review after making my last comment, so I've ordered a £20 PSN card (only £15.95 too) ready to give this a go. A 9.5 is hard to ignore, even from IGN. :D

surly said:

The game is heavily inspired by 8 and 16bit platform games. And that's where having full control over your character when they're in the air comes in.

mujun

LiquidMetal14 said:
I publicly apologize for being excited about this game :/

You know what I meant, don't go all passive aggressive.

Game looks great. 9.5 is a great score.

You can be excited about any game you want, that should go with saying.

The level of excitement in this thread is what is strange for me. It's like Nintendo 64 kid level in here :lol

Looking forward to it. I was going to buy the new Excite Bike for the Wii until I found out it had no multiplayer and I almost picked up Trials for the 360 when that came out but I heard it got super hard.

This looks to be a nice inbetween.

LiquidMetal14

mujun said:

The level of excitement in this thread is what is strange for me. It's like Nintendo 64 kid level in here :lol
You right! Simple fun abound.

Wow, this was wayyy under my radar but with that score, I wont be able to pass it up come tuesday!

Also, IGN has a posting for this as also being an XBL title in the future, any truth to that

beast786

mujun said:

Well, I am so glad you are here to clam us all down. I guess your experience with this game was terrible.

jrricky

Banned
KittyKittyBangBang said:
which should go down with the many great screen capture greats like:

YOU%27RE_WINNER_trophy.jpg

i_am_error.gif

and of course the grand daddy:

i_feel_asleep.png
OffTopic: Is there a thread for stuff like this.? Would make a good laugh...:lol

beast786

Teknopathetic said:
"I am sure they gave IGN free copy of the game."

Established press sites/mags generally get free copies of *every* game they review.

I was being sarcastic :( , in response to buying the review.

check out the IGN vid review. you really gotta appreciate a game like this that was made by four dudes. it's got personality, a track editor, multiple objectives in each level with platforming, split-screen, etc. according to ign it's polished and fun with great controls so i'll be supporting the dev's with my $15.

IGN Video Review - Joe Danger PSN

mujun

beast786 said:
Well, I am so glad you are here to clam us all down. I guess your experience with this game was terrible.

Wow, talk about painting yourself as the perfect example of a fanboy!

Sorry I don't want to go so far as to fellate the game like yourself...

I can see my (considerably less but still enthusiastic) opinion is not welcome in this thread, sorry to rain on your parade :D

beast786

mujun said:
Wow, talk about painting yourself as the perfect example of a fanboy!

Sorry I don't want to go so far as to fellate the game like yourself...

I can see my (considerably less but still enthusiastic) opinion is not welcome in this thread, sorry to rain on your parade :D

Oh yes.. the fanboy. :lol

What was your opinion on the game?

I didnt see you talk about the game at all. BUt attack people who show appreciation after an outstanding review.

So getting excited after an amazing review is showing fellate :lol

So glad you are here to let us see the light of what to and not to get excited for. Gaf needs to hear your gospel

mujun

beast786 said:
Oh yes.. the fanboy. :lol

What was your opinion on the game?

I didnt see you talk about the game at all. BUt attack people who show appreciation after an outstanding review.

So getting excited after an amazing review is showing fellate :lol

So glad you are here to let us see the light of what to and not to get excited for. Gaf needs to hear your gospel

Yep, my gospel is that I observed what I thought to be an unusually high level of enthusiasm from some people in the thread. More of an observation than an "attack". Still it's hardly surprising that people with what I would describe as a zealous level of praise for a game would consider anything but the same feeling as an "attack".

Withnail

Congrats on the review score Hello Games :D

Patriotsbball5460 said:
Wow, this was wayyy under my radar but with that score, I wont be able to pass it up come tuesday!

Also, IGN has a posting for this as also being an XBL title in the future, any truth to that

It will be exclusive to PSN for at least 12 months as it's funded with Sony's Pub Fund scheme. After that though I would expect it to appear elsewhere. They've shown a 360 build of the game in the past.

Odrion

Banned
KittyKittyBangBang said:
Funny enough that's not a mistake, his name actually is Error and they refer to him later in the game as Error.

If they ever bring voice acting to a Zelda game, they need to bring this guy back and have his name pronounced "Er-roar" as a gag. Like 30 Rock and Dr. Spa-che-man/Spaceman.

beast786

mujun said:
Yep, my gospel is that I observed what I thought to be an unusually high level of enthusiasm from some people in the thread. More of an observation than an "attack". Still it's hardly surprising that people with what I would describe as a zealous level of praise for a game would consider anything but the same feeling as an "attack".

:lol :lol
So glad that you know what review doesnt or does deserve the enthusiasm

Thanks man. :lol

So you post are about the people who like the game but nothing about the game.

Ofcourse people are going to respond. Because you baited them with your first comment.

But you keep telling us what deserve the hype or not. :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
beast786 said:

Ofcourse people are going to respond. Because you baited them with your first comment.

It's not about whether or not the game deserves the hype. It's just the fact that excitement about the game seems to be precluding a dialogue on its actual content. So you get lines like this:

LiquidMetal14 said:
3 plane system, controls not so sure. I've heard no complaints about that at all though.

The IGN review reads like SMG2, pure fun. Doesn't need to be exquisitely written. You can see it.
There's a lot you can say in a review about SMG2's ideas and execution, and the same goes for Joe Danger. If someone asks for a detailed description of how the game plays then there's nothing wrong with giving him one.

LiquidMetal14

SapientWolf said:
It's not about whether or not the game deserves the hype. It's just the fact that excitement about the game seems to be precluding a dialogue on its actual content. So you get lines like this:

There's a lot you can say in a review about SMG2's ideas and execution, and the same goes for Joe Danger. If someone asks for a detailed description of how the game plays then there's nothing wrong with giving him one.
I don't have Joe Danger yet but I stand by what I said.

mujun

beast786 said:

Why do you keep going on about the review, it's like you are putting words in my mouth to prop up your lame argument. I commented on the tone of the thread in general, nothing to do with the reactions to the review. Check back, I commented well before the review was linked.

BTW, I really want to get this, looks like it's layed out very similarly to Gripshift campaign wise (loved Gripshift, loved doing a run to get stars, then best time, etc). Hopefully I won't get shafted only having access to Japanese PSN points.

Top Bottom