• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would assume There would be more articles and threads about it giving the sequel comes out this Friday.

Just because someone writes an article about something doesn't necessarily make it true and what not. There are people who gave stuff like BvS raving reviews so it depends on the source

Like I said I know John wick is a widely praised movie but I don't agree with some of the reviews for it especially the people who called it the rebirth of the action genre.

Oh look, here's another one:

http://geektyrant.com/news/review-j...close-to-perfect-as-a-john-wick-sequel-can-be

With its long takes, wide shots of intensely choreographed action sequences, and proliferation of headshots, 2014's John Wick was hailed as an action movie classic the moment it was released.

I think you need to accept that you're in the minority on this one, dude.

JTripper

Just saw it.

All I'll say is that I have to assign you all the impossible task to GET FUCKING READY.

Because no matter how ready you think you might be, YOU ARE NOT.

TheFlow

Banned
Oh look, here's another one:

http://geektyrant.com/news/review-j...close-to-perfect-as-a-john-wick-sequel-can-be

I think you need to accept that you're in the minority on this one, dude.

Huh you posted a review of John wick 2? not sure if I am missing something. Glad it got a good score. the movie seems be a big improvement on the first.

why do you need to have your opinion validated by so many random review sites though? just curious. Film buffs don't do this.

your snippet reminds me how studios pull the best sentences from reviews and post them on their boxes and trailers hoping people will latch on.

SRG01

Ugh, the only midnight showing here is on a small screen :( I have to wait until opening day to watch it on a regular-sized screen!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Saw it tonight.

1) Best action movie I've seen in years. Screw that gif that's going around of the two guys saying that upcoming 2017 movies are all trash.

2) I really hope someone takes snippets of the first set piece and makes a gif for when there's the next Uber vs NYC Taxis argument.

3) There's a fight that feels like a spiritual successor to the famous brawl from They Live.

It's so damn good.

TheFlow

Banned
Saw it tonight.

1) Best action movie I've seen in years. Screw that gif that's going around of the two guys saying that upcoming 2017 movies are all trash.

2) I really hope someone takes snippets of the first set piece and makes a gif for when there's the next Uber vs NYC Taxis argument.

3) There's a fight that feels like a spiritual successor to the famous brawl from They Live.

It's so damn good.
Glad to read and every year is a great year for movies

onilink88

Just saw it.

All I'll say is that I have to assign you all the impossible task to GET FUCKING READY.

I also just saw it. 5/5, awesome, awesome movie. Like part one turned to 11.

Saw it tonight.

It's so damn good.

Tickets bought for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday's 9:00 showing. I'm not even joking.

TheFlow

Banned
Tickets bought for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday's 9:00 showing. I'm not even joking.

giphy.gif

Ugh.

Some friends that never saw the first want to see this. My schedule is booked. Going to watch the first Sunday night here and then see this Tuesday. The wait is hard.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Saw it tonight.

It's so damn good.

Point 3 got me chubbed up

Oersted

It's not hard to understand. John Wick...

...is fast-paced and unrelenting in its action
...has some of the best choreographed gunplay I've ever seen in a film
...has exquisite world-building
...is visually and aurally a very stylish film
...is very compact and focused in execution, ducking under the excesses that plague many action films
...has Keanu playing the "guy you just don't fuck with" role flawlessly
...has a surprising knack for comedic timing
...has a fantastic cast

Take your picks. There is a litany of reasons to love John Wick.

- the action never made me care. It just happened, with no emotional payoff
-I found neither the world nor its inhabitants interesting. The latter in particular were one dimensional
-true, but it also never achieved something.
-true
-the comedy itself was forgettable.
-Keanu, yeah. Dafoe could have been

I'm not saying the first one was bad. It just never made me emotionally involved.

This movie was... Amazing!

It works very similarly to The Raid 2, minus the Raid 2's bloat.

And the ending was everything I wanted in this John Wick universe.

Just saw it.

I also just saw it. 5/5, awesome, awesome movie. Like part one turned to 11.

Saw it tonight.

It's so damn good.

This movie was... Amazing!

It works very similarly to The Raid 2, minus the Raid 2's bloat.

And the ending was everything I wanted in this John Wick universe.
post-58290-stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-awjF.gif

They Live homage is especially wonderful sounding.

onilink88

- the action never made me care. It just happened, with no emotional payoff
-I found neither the world nor its inhabitants interesting. The latter in particular were one dimensional
-true, but it also never achieved something.
-true
-the comedy itself was forgettable.
-Keanu, yeah. Dafoe could have been

I'm not saying the first one was bad. It just never made me emotionally involved.

Not sure what to tell you. You don't go into a movie like John Wick expecting significant emotional returns - JW doesn't deal in that kind of payoff. You watch it primarily for the visual spectacle delivered by studied and talented filmmakers that understand how invaluable good choreography, camera work, etc.. are in an action film. The kind of visual spectacle they offer is in very short supply in western action cinema, and that's reason enough for people to rave about it.

This is the appeal of John Wick.

Not really sure why you think the sequel would be more interesting than the first considering the emerging consensus is that it's more of the same from the first movie but better, though.

Loxley

Jeremy Jahns review.

- He liked it, but likes the first movie better.
- He didn't quite buy into the motivation the film gives John to continue on with his assassin escapades after having essentially accomplished his mission by the end of the first film.
- Apparently a good chunk of the first half of the movie is setting up said ^^ motivation, which can makes things feel too slow at times.
- It does an excellent job of expanding on the "world of assassins" mythology set up by the first film.
- Keanu is great despite having to deliver quite a few cheesy and cliche'd action movie one-liners.
- The action is "damn exciting".

j-wood

Rewatching the first one tonight to get ready for this weekend. I got the ultra hd copy in today, it's so glorious on 4K and HDR

Jeremy Jahns review.

- He liked it, but likes the first movie better.
- He didn't quite buy into the motivation the film gives John to continue on with his assassin escapades after having essentially accomplished his mission by the end of the first film.
- Apparently a good chunk of the first half of the movie is setting up said ^^ motivation, which can makes things feel too slow at times.
- It does an excellent job of expanding on the "world of assassins" mythology set up by the first film.
- Keanu is great despite having to deliver quite a few cheesy and cliche'd action movie one-liners.
- The action is "damn exciting".
Now Chris Stuckmann

In sum and substance: an action movie lover's wet dream, Kind of a Raid 2 versus Raid 1 situation, where the first was just relentless action and the second takes some time to explore the criminal underworld more

Except here the worldbuilding is pretty fascinating and it has "a lot more action than even The Raid 2"

I loved the movie. During scenes where a lot of people are coming at Wick though, I do feel his moves became a bit repetitive after while. Throw guy on the floor, two guys run in, shoot them in the legs/stomach then in the head, repeat.

Some scenes are pretty brutal, made the audience gasp. Its a fun movie to watch when you have a good audience.

Zakalwe

Banned
My only gripe with the first film is that it loses steam a little toward the end, and the finale wasn't anywhere near as much fun as the rest of the film.

Without soiilers: does C2 do better?

Redders

The pain is real having to wait until next Friday to see this especially after all these reviews.

In regards to all the fast cutting I watched Resident Evil: The Final Chapter last night and I found that to have some brutal cutting in the early fight scenes. Just looked weird.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's unbelievable that this movie isn't going on the theaters in Sweden :(

Theecliff

Banned
damn those are some great reviews, i'm starting to get hyped (also helped by the fact that this isn't taking over 6 months to come out over here this time). was there a review thread that i missed?

Sojgat

So is this film just not coming out in Australia or what?

Probably in a couple of months. It hasn't even been submitted for classification yet.

Given that Australia had the third highest box office takings for the first film, it's kind of a baffling decision.

onilink88

Pretty good interview with Keanu and Chad Stahelski: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaX6Lnu_TP0

That talk about a prequel series TV show is worrying...

Yeah. Someone other than Keanu playing Wick is something I'd have an extremely hard time adjusting to. The part was built around him, and I'm not confident anyone else could deliver as satisfying a performance.

Equally worrying is that all bets are off in terms of other directors adhering to the same strict and efficient methodology Stahelski's developed for the movies. Hard to see this playing out well, either.

Honestly, I don't really have high hopes for the TV show.

Cider X

My only gripe with the first film is that it loses steam a little toward the end, and the finale wasn't anywhere near as much fun as the rest of the film.

Without soiilers: does C2 do better?

Yea it does. I feel the same way about the first one but chapter 2 is relentless and better paced.

That Every Frame a Painting vid has to count for something. Surely more than making claims you are incapable of backing up? :)

But if I've not contributed anything of worth thus far, let me change that:

Expertly choreographed action sequences and adept camera work are a given in a John Wick sequel, but I don't really see many people talking about how pretty John Wick: Chapter 2 is.

Rome is stunning, of course, but it's not just that.

cubm9mgwiaeh4kaq2rsz.jpg

cubm_g1xgaalek3msq1l.jpg

cubnafexyaexkxudxpod.jpg

cubncwswyaa2dzavkrei.jpg

It's like the club aesthetic was taken from the first movie and draped over the second. Everything is so colorful, vibrant, and modern-looking - it's a great eye-catching complement to the highly kinetic and energetic nature of the movie. The set designs are really gorgeous, too. This movie's a real looker in every respect I can think of.

See. I'm not all snark.

Reminds me of the direction Del Toro took with Blade 2. Very vibrant and colorful, whereas Stephen Norrington went with a very monochromatic look with Blade1.

I know it is highly unlikely...but I would lose my shit if they use another Kaleida song for the soundtrack contrast to another bloodbath.

That song "Think" accentuated the fuck out of the Red Circle bathhouse scene.

Famassu

It's unbelievable that this movie isn't going on the theaters in Sweden :(

Yeah about that, weird thing in Norway too. My local cinema doesn't seem to run it, but my nearby town (Bodø) will be running it. Why?
That's weird. Nordisk Film seems to be distributing it in Northern Europe and we are getting it in Finland the day after tomorrow. Usually it's Finland that get's shafted with a lot of releases. Nice to see you guys get the short end of the stick once in awhile. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom