• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
why they decided to call her Enyaba when they called her Enya before bothers me, and isn't Enyaba literally "Old Woman Enya"?

Why do people keep calling Shining Diamond "Crazy Diamond."

Can't you people read the subtitles?

this is the best thing about being new to Jojo, the name changes to avoid copyright don't bother me

why they decided to call her Enyaba when they called her Enya before bothers me, and isn't Enyaba literally "Old Woman Enya"?

Yeah, they just took the -ba and made it part of her name instead of a suffix. Skirts copyright, keeps the reference, and matches what most people call her.

Thud

Why do people keep calling Shining Diamond "Crazy Diamond."

Can't you people read the subtitles?

this is the best thing about being new to Jojo, the name changes to avoid copyright don't bother me

It's just necessary to release it in the west, we're not really bothered by it. The funny thing is the change doesn't really matter. You can still tell it's from SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND.

It's just necessary to release it in the west, we're not really bothered by it. The funny thing is the change doesn't really matter. You can still tell it's from SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND.

Oh we've definitely had some people really fucking bothered by it. lol

Not anyone on the last few pages mind you. But some dude took huge issue with it during Stardust Crusaders. Especially J.Giel's name.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Lisa Lisa consistently trained with hamon, while Joseph was lazy and didn't. Which is why Jotaro mentions that Joseph is too old to come to Morioh.

Joseph probably never needed to use hamon, just like Jotaro didn't need to abuse his time-stop powers before he visited Morioh and encountered Josuke.

There's also that Joseph in Part 3 is 20 years older than Lisa Lisa was in Part 2. And we saw Straizo, who was probably 70 and still using Ripple, was clearly having his age start to catch up with him.

By Part 4 Joseph has had 60 years of minimal Ripple usage.

Lisa Lisa consistently trained with hamon, while Joseph was lazy and didn't. Which is why Jotaro mentions that Joseph is too old to come to Morioh.

Joseph probably never needed to use hamon, just like Jotaro didn't need to abuse his time-stop powers before he visited Morioh and encountered Josuke.
Lisa Lisa was a ripple master, Joseph just dabbled in it enough to beat Wham.

Shit, I mean if I had fountain of youth powers I'd be training them even if I didn't need to use it to fight evil.

Time stop too.

Shit, I mean if I had fountain of youth powers I'd be training them even if I didn't need to use it to fight evil.

Time stop too.
But it's quite obvious Joseph didn't need fountain of youth powers to get pussy. So what would've been his motivation? Jotaro don't need pussy, just dolphins.

Style

Banned
Btw Jotaro is the one who gave Josuke's Stand the name Crazy Diamond. It isn't said in the anime though.

It's a bummer they left that bit of information out. It's a nice touch because we get to see what Jotaro thinks of Josuke (they also left out the line where he calls Josuke crazy after he transforms Angelo).

13000229_232882923739176_5037108601624805107_n.jpg

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Is it that time of the week when people post poorly marked manga spoilers in the anime thread, already?

TheOGB

Banned
Dunno if I'm legit shocked that more than one person didn't recognize what that comic was, or slightly disturbed that I can see that comic in just about anything now

Is it that time of the week when people post poorly marked manga spoilers in the anime thread, already?
Yeah, that conversation has gone on long enough that someone not in the know is gonna look it up and have a terrible realization, lol...

Matsukaze

Could someone explain the Duwang thing with Jojo? I've been seeing that around here and don't get it.
Part 4 originally had an unbelievably bad English translation. We're talking a bewilderingly awful lack of quality (yet it eventually gained this odd charm to it). The translator did such a crappy job that he even translated the name Morioh as Duwang, which then became the general name for those translations. It also produced such gems as "get a feeling so complicated" and "your feeling I can feel deeply".

EDIT: Beaten like my last name's Zeppeli

To get a better idea of how fucked that translation was going to be, it was by a Chinese student, translating Japanese to English in just a month for a class project.

"Duwang" is Morioh in Chinese apparently.

To get a better idea of how fucked that translation was going to be, it was by a Chinese student, translating Japanese to English in just a month for a class project.

wasn't it from Japanese to Chinese to English?

thats usually when translations get fucked up the most when they aren't using the original text as the base

wait, I thought they used Enya in SC CR subs

no they used Enyaba

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I don't know where CHEW came from tho

The character appears to be chewing something in the original Duwang translation. Most likely the Japanese version had an onomatopeia there - those are very common in Japanese, you could say they're an integral part of the language -, so I assume the guy just translated that to "chew" without realizing Western languages like English have a completely different approach to onomatopeias than Asian languages like Japanese and Korean (and Mandarin Chinese too, I assume?).

Tizoc

Home net is busted and it wont get fixed until sunday over here at the earliest
I hate my isp when it goes to shit

Mista Koo

Regarding SC battles, my favorite is N'Doul's Geb
(the water)
, probably followed by D'arby's Osiris
(the gambler)
and Petshop's Horus
(the bird)

The most disappointing for me was Devo's Ebony Devil
(the doll)
. He was my favorite character in the Capcom game so I didn't expect him to only appear in one quick episode :(

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

Are you sure it was Japanese? The 阿 that appears throughout the scanlations makes me think it was from the Chinese translation.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Essentially Duwang is like running through google translate twice I think?

The character appears to be chewing something in the original Duwang translation. Most likely the Japanese version had an onomatopeia there - those are very common in Japanese, you could say they're an integral part of the language -, so I assume the guy just translated that to "chew" without realizing Western languages like English have a completely different approach to onomatopeias than Asian languages like Japanese and Korean (and Mandarin Chinese too, I assume?).

yeah but even in Japanese the onomatopoeia is usually either an effect text (like MENACING!) or usually, while in balloon, have a distinct effect to make it look different from spoken dialog

Though I guess it was conveying something different but have a chewing sfx interloped in the dialog, and the rushed translation missed it?

Top Bottom