• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Broke my wallet at ACEN yesterdayyesterday, worth it
pjS3MXhh.jpg

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Squishy3

Broke my wallet at ACEN yesterdayyesterday, worth it
Only Jojo's figures I have are Kira Yoshikage and Killer Queen. The Killer Queen figure has a bunch of hands too like the Kira one, as well as including Stray Cat. The most annoying thing is though the box implies the abs open so you can place Stray Cat inside but it doesn't. :(

wwm0nkey

Only Jojo's figures I have are Kira Yoshikage and Killer Queen. The Killer Queen figure has a bunch of hands too like the Kira one, as well as including Stray Cat. The most annoying thing is though the box implies the abs open so you can place Stray Cat inside but it doesn't. :(
Saw the Kira one but no Killer Queen.

There was this Crazy Diamond one where he was posing on a vinyl record but I don't think I can justify 4 figures at a single con lol

JayEH

Do you think Araki would ever go back and fill in the time gap between SBR and Jojolion. Would have like to have seen Joey Joestar.

Do you think Araki would ever go back and fill in the time gap between SBR and Jojolion. Would have like to have seen Joey Joestar.

He's never really gone back besides using Rohan but if someone had an idea for a novel for that time gap if he never touches it then that might happen. A bit of a shame he skipped 100 years though. But then again it's like 60 years between part 2 and part 3.

I'm kind of interested in checking out this series. Which would be the safest, most inexpensive way to see if it's for me? Should I check out Stardust Crusaders on crunchyroll, check out the manga or OVAs first?

I noticed there's a dvd set coming out this summer, is that a re-release of the OVAs that were originally released in the US during the early/mid 2000s?

I'm kind of interested in checking out this series. Which would be the safest, most inexpensive way to see if it's for me? Should I check out Stardust Crusaders on crunchyroll, check out the manga or OVAs first?

I noticed there's a dvd set coming out this summer, is that a re-release of the OVAs that were originally released in the US during the early/mid 2000s?

Parts 1 & 2 are also on Crunchy so you can watch those first then go onto SC/Part 3. Manga wise it's a bit of a clusterfuck to read the series legally, since only part 3 ever got brought over (though they are now releasing really nice hardcover of Part 1 and eventually part 2). So if you want to find out what happens after part 3, your sorta stuck like the rest of us relaying on fan translations (which are generally good excluding part 5...).

Here is the hardcover of Part 1.

JayEH

I would just watch the anime which has covered Parts 1 -3 on crunchyroll. The first season of the anime is just called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Then if you like the series from there, look for some fan translations of the manga for Part 4 on.

No, those dvds are the first season of the current anime which includes part 1 and 2. The currently airing anime and the old OVAs cover part 3, although the OVAs do so in a much more abridged and altered way. The old release of the manga was actually part 3 so that's not the beginning either, the hardcover volumes that they're currently releasing are the beginning of the story but there are only 2 volumes out. The entirety of the manga is scanlated alreasy though.

So either watch the newest anime from the beginning in Crunchyroll or the dvds, or read the manga starting either online or the current releases.

Squishy3

Manga or the 2012 series is the easiest way. 2012 series is also pretty quick to get going, you'll know if you like it or not probably by episode 3.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I would suggest starting with watching the first season of the anime, and if that doesn't click by episode 4, skip to episode 10 (which is the beginning of part two, it's much better than the first part), and if it still doesn't click, go to Stardust Crusaders (since it sets up the concept of Stands that the rest of the series is based upon) and try to watch the first two parts again at a later time. Then read the manga, starting with either part one (the hardcover volumes really nice in terms of quality), or skipping to the translations of part four if you want to continue where Stardust Crusaders leaves off. I'd also suggest watching the OVA once the current anime adaptation of SC is over, if you would really want to.

Its will be helpful if CR license the manga too.
I hate to break it to you, but that's probably not gonna happen. Viz owns all rights to the manga. Plus, Shueisha is one of Viz's co-owners, so they'd give it to Viz before anyone else. The only hope of simulpub Jojo is Viz getting the ok to put it in Weekly Shonen Jump.

Squishy3

Probably has nothing to actually do anything with the actual plot, but I was just looking into the name of the character to see if there was any meaning in the definition of the words comprising the name and at least found a cool bit of trivia that Araki may or may not have been going for:

Kokeshi are a type of Japanese doll, and different prefectures make different kinds.

Sakunami Kokeshi have a relatively short history, and is considered that they were first produced in the early Meiji era. The Kokeshi features a background that promotes an urban area, Sendai, while other Kokeshi dolls in the Tohoku region are inspired by mountain villages, mainly hot spring resorts.

Sendai is the town Araki grew up in and both versions of Morioh are based on.

Karera is a dead-end I guess, as it just translates to them. Gonna keep looking though.

Further updates on DVD release:

Back cover revealed

They're cramming it into 8-9 episodes per disc, so the video quality will probably be shit. It's like Warner is hell bent on making this look as bad as possible. I guess it explains the relatively cheap price point though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn, I could understand if it was Blu-Ray, but to cram Part 1 both dub & sub onto ONE DVD?! Granted, no special features, but yeah, I fear the quality isn't gonna be all that great....

I really, really hope we get a Blu-Ray release. I haven't bought a DVD in years and would like to own the best possible version of one of my favourite series ever :S

KarasuEXE

Did they say if the DVD is censored or not?

Damn, I could understand if it was Blu-Ray, but to cram Part 1 both dub & sub onto ONE DVD?! Granted, no special features, but yeah, I fear the quality isn't gonna be all that great....

Ah, it says on the back cover that it's Dual Layer, that's better, right?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Did they say if the DVD is censored or not?

Ah, it says on the back cover that it's Dual Layer, that's better, right?
I can't imagine they'd censor it or just be like "meh, use the TV versions that Crunchyroll had".

Also, yeah, I guess it's a bit better it's Dual Layer, as it bumps the storage from 4.7GB to 8.5GB. So each episode is just under 1GB, I guess.

Squishy3

Yeah, I don't think it'll be censored, especially not on DVDs. A hypothetical Toonami run probably wouldn't be censored either. Hannibal airs at 10PM, for example. :p

Man, could they have gone with crappier looking packaging for the DVD? And no blu-ray release? AND cramming that many eps on a disc? Sheesh.

I'm still buying it, though.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I still don't know if I wanna get it. It's DVD. I have a feeling that if I do end up getting it, they'll release a Blu-ray version later. But it does have an English dub...

Hypron

I can't imagine they'd censor it or just be like "meh, use the TV versions that Crunchyroll had".

Also, yeah, I guess it's a bit better it's Dual Layer, as it bumps the storage from 4.7GB to 8.5GB. So each episode is just under 1GB, I guess.

Are the episodes in HD then? Or do they just have a huge bitrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom