• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Pro is telegraphing The World's ability too much for my liking. The problem with time manipulating abilities is that it's so common in fiction that there are many familiar visual tells associated with time magic, and the show is using a lot of them like the clock motif and the sudden cuts.

The issue with such an iconic ability

So far I haven't seen any of the uninitiated get it yet. I've seen theories ranging from lightspeed, a Trafalgar Law esque room, and forcing people to always obey his commands :p

It's so obvious once you know, and I have a feeling a lot of people know but forgot or don't actually know they do. It's easily the most iconic thing in the series for westerners because of the old MUGEN ZA WARUDO videos

Although I don't think anyone has noticed there is a clock on The World's fists. I decided not to post the big manga page where The World is revealed because it's so easy to spot :lol

Riposte

So far I haven't seen any of the uninitiated get it yet. I've seen theories ranging from lightspeed, a Trafalgar Law esque room, and forcing people to always obey his commands :p

There are anime fans who don't know The World stops time?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Probably people who started with Attack on Titan, and thought that was really neat.

Squishy3

Watching it as someone who knows the way David Pro is doing it makes it seem like it's like Bites the Dust or King Crimson, where it erases the effect but the memories remain, lol.

Man watch if we get to part 5 the narrator spends like 5 minutes explaining how King Crimson works but he storms out of the recording booth with the final words being "IT JUST FUCKING DOES OKAY?"

I've seen the first six episodes of Phantom Blood, and I really love the way the "Roundabout" ending starts in certain episodes.

I also bought the first volume of Stardust Crusaders manga. It's quite jarring going from Berserk to Jojo.

Watching people in the anime thread assume that it's something to do with portals or being able to manipulate reality or the defy the laws of physics or something else is great.

When it's just Dio being a petty asshole and moving people around while time is stopped to troll them.

Zubz

Banned

That's kinda cute, actually. The World's power (And the steam roller) were, like, the 2 things I knew about JoJo until a few years back. It's surprising, yet refreshing, to see people trying to guess what it does.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen the first six episodes of Phantom Blood, and I really love the way the "Roundabout" ending starts in certain episodes.

I also bought the first volume of Stardust Crusaders manga. It's quite jarring going from Berserk to Jojo.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING THIS IS THE SPOILER THREAD

JOJO IS SACRED DO NOT SPOIL YOURSELF

Quickly! Catch up to Part 8!

Man watch if we get to part 5 the narrator spends like 5 minutes explaining how King Crimson works but he storms out of the recording booth with the final words being "IT JUST FUCKING DOES OKAY?"

I'm glad someone/more people? feel that way about it. Like, I think I get it, but I don't think it comes across great on page, and for me it feels bland as a result.

I'm a little ways into part 6 now. Apparently this is where all the female characters have been hiding.

Joseph's "death" was always weird to me. His resurrection fakeout was great and it's cool jotaro was able to pump his heart up again because he learned during his fight...

But that dude was dead. Knife in the throat. Almost all his blood drained. WE SAW HIS SPIRIT FLOAT AWAY FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Kind of felt like Araki was gonna kill him off and either changed his mind or his editors stepped in.

I'm glad someone/more people? feel that way about it. Like, I think I get it, but I don't think it comes across great on page, and for me it feels bland as a result.

I'm a little ways into part 6 now. Apparently this is where all the female characters have been hiding.

I hope I'm not alone in thinking part 6 has a fantastic cast...

jgminto

Joseph not turning into a vampire will forever be the biggest Araki moment for me. We even saw the exact same thing happen with Vanilla Ice!

I hope I'm not alone in thinking part 6 has a fantastic cast...

I like 'em so far. I don't know if they'll overtake part 5's to me but I already like Jolyne more than Giorno. Dude was fine but man he was boring.

Still a little amazed that Spirit Turtle Polnareff actually happened

Joseph not turning into a vampire will forever be the biggest Araki moment for me. We even saw the exact same thing happen with Vanilla Ice!

The Speedwagon Foundation was very carefully able to put the Joseph blood that was definitely only drained like two minutes ago or whatever it was in Anime Time back into Joseph's veins without any vampire juice getting into it.

how amazing would it be if Part 8 Josuke's non-Kira half is actually the SBRverse Polnareff

i mean

his first real fight started in a bathroom

i was half joking at first but now that i think about it, S&W actually does kinda look like a fusion of Killer Queen and Silver Chariot

I like your new tag EmCee because I'll be one of the 50 people who get the reference

Oh someone finally guessed what The World does in the other thread, we'll see if anyone picks up on it

Haly

New tag sucks. Bring back ho' ass modal verbs.

tumblr_np4lwb8YiU1rojswqo1_500.gif

I think this is my new favorite Polnareff and the stairs gif

Siegcram

I love how the main obstacle for people trying to guess what ZA WARUDO does is just how far DIO goes out of his way to troll people.

fertygo

I love how the main obstacle for people trying to guess what ZA WARUDO does is just how far DIO goes out of his way to troll people.

The only practical use of the power is when he put nukesaku to the coffin

The other thing is very fucking petty looooool

1. Push polnareff multiple time and climbing stair again, not to mention picking chair to sit
2. throw the senator from other side of car for no reason

I mean technically he does can do that but lulz talk about roundabout way to use it lol

Tizoc

So next ep. will be Joseph and Kakyoin dieing, will it end with Dio seeing that Jotaro can move during time stop?

If so, Ep. 47 will be their full fight, that may end with them on he bridge, and then we get the finale.

There's no way you can be this new to the Internet. Dio was a meme for YEARS and slowly subsided only to be brought back with even shittier context such as "YOU THOUGHT IT WAS [X] BUT IT WAS ME, DIO!"

Caj814

There's no way you can be this new to the Internet. Dio was a meme for YEARS and slowly subsided only to be brought back with even shittier context such as "YOU THOUGHT IT WAS [X] BUT IT WAS ME, DIO!"

Pretty sure everyone in here knows that before the thread was even made. Surprisingly there are a few people that missed out on that for years or even forgot it, if the anime is their main exposure to the series.

Squishy3

I know a good 4 or 5 people who have never been exposed to it. (or at the very least, haven't put together two and two yet if they have seen it.)

I also have a friend whose only exposure to Jojo's is through the Capcom game, so he knows about Stands. So when we watched the 2012 anime he was extremely confused, even more so when part 2 started.

He also thinks Jonathan is going to become Jotaro's Stand.

Haly

I wouldn't have gotten into JoJo if I didn't see "ZA WARUDO" on youtube first.

It's a shame this is the last part we get of Joseph being cool. I think people will rage when they see Joseph again. Going from a cocky badass to a deranged old man barely able to walk on his own.

I can't wait for Part 4 its my favorite.

It's a shame this is the last part we get of Joseph being cool. I think people will rage when they see Joseph again. Going from a cocky badass to a deranged old man barely able to walk on his own.

I can't wait for Part 4 its my favorite.

As if Joseph having an illegitimate kid wouldn't piss them off enough

sonicmj1

David Pro is telegraphing The World's ability too much for my liking. The problem with time manipulating abilities is that it's so common in fiction that there are many familiar visual tells associated with time magic, and the show is using a lot of them like the clock motif and the sudden cuts.

I don't know if I'd say they're telegraphing exactly what the power is, but I like the care the OVA took to never create any abrupt cuts in our perception, using clever sleight-of-hand to keep all the tricks The World was pulling just out of sight so that it seemed like an impossible nightmare.

eYbepLR.gif

There are a few cuts in the TV adaptation that capture that fairly well, like the first step Polnareff takes up the stairs or when Nukesaku opens the coffin, but the times where they abruptly shift the characters or the environment openly onscreen are jarring.

It feels a lot more like how it might be done on a manga page, which naturally jumps like that all the time, than how it ought to be done in moving pictures. As someone diving in here who has seen the OVA but has no experience with the manga, I have no idea how true that assumption is.

Kurtofan

The meme isn't as clear as people make it out to be, I don't think it's a given.

I've known about The World long before I knew it was from Jojo. I never cared about spoilers anyway, I didn't feel that it lessened the impact when I read it in the manga, considering how well done the buildup to it was.

from anime thread:

I think his power has to involve more than simple time manipulation though. Look at the coffin scene with Nukesaku. Or Polnareff. Unless he can somehow pick up and move people around while they are frozen in time. But if he can do that I don't see why he just wouldn't kill Polnareff during the stairs scene instead of giving the gang a huge clue as to what his power might be. That's why I think it is more likely that he can manipulate the location all objects within a 10 meter radius. So he should be able to teleport anyone within 10 meters, and also move himself.

people have forgotten that this is the guy who came up with an elaborate plan of killing a dog, framing Jonathan's death on an experiment with an Aztec mask, revived a random pair of knights and then said "eh they can handle it" when it became clear that Zeppeli and Jonathan would die fighting him, fused a bunch of people and animals together for kicks, and kept all of this good men to himself while sending out oingo and boingo, an orangutan, and the Sun guy to take care of the joestar party

People are doing good going through the motions of figuring out The World, I think there are three of DIO's traits that help tell you what it is.

1. DIO is an asshole. He loves to fuck with people.
2. DIO is probably the least humble person ever born.
3. DIO, for good reason, believes himself to be invincible due to The World. Combined with the last two traits, this is why he chooses to mindgames Polnareff and the Senator instead of simply killing them.

I haven't really seen anyone pick up on the last one

Ezalc

from anime thread:
people have forgotten that this is the guy who came up with an elaborate plan of killing a dog, framing Jonathan's death on an experiment with an Aztec mask, revived a random pair of knights and then said "eh they can handle it" when it became clear that Zeppeli and Jonathan would die fighting him, fused a bunch of people and animals together for kicks, and kept all of this good men to himself while sending out oingo and boingo, an orangutan, and the Sun guy to take care of the joestar party

Oh man I was laughing so much at that post. I can't wait for his ability to be revealed and then we can put the polnareff stairs gifs in the anime thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom