• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So was Mariah previously confirmed, because I don't recall hearing about her. Also YEEESSS she has the expanding boobs = tons of metal objects move.

Nice to see footage of the brand new characters like N'Doul. Though now hopefully we'll start hearing of characters from Parts 5 & beyond.

Joestar Mansion and Death 13 theme park
kreygasm.png

Really hoping Stone Ocean and Steel Ball Run don't get the shaft again. Diego's cool but I hope they don't call it a day with another Dio . Also hoping they don't add another Jotaro with The World variant too.

Dio, and DIO are one in the same. Dio was still young and immature, DIO is older and more mature. Dio was still new to the whole evil tyrant thing, and still obsessed with ruining Jonathan's life.

Dio, and DIO are one in the same. Dio was still young and immature, DIO is older and more mature. Dio was still new to the whole evil tyrant thing, and still obsessed with ruining Jonathan's life.

Yeah, of course, and I really appreciate that Diego is in as well. I just hope that adding Diego isn't filling in some "quota" that they're done with SBR as they add more SC characters.

It's presumptuous of me, but I hope that makes sense.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering we haven't even HEARD of Parts 5, 6, & 8 yet (with Diego being the only Part 7 character confirmed so far), I hope we'll hear about them over the next few months. I have a feeling this might come out in Nov. or Dec., considering we only know of "2015".

considering i cannot even begin to wait for the next season, i thought i may as well resume reading the manga now that the duwang translations have been replaced (back when i finished part 3 back in 06).

2 questions:
1. what is everyone's personal preference in terms of (official) colour vs original black and white manga?
2. How bad is the translation for part 5? Ive read some negative about it, but is it at least satisfactory in conveying an accurate english translation?

jgminto

considering i cannot even begin to wait for the next season, i thought i may as well resume reading the manga now that the duwang translations have been replaced (back when i finished part 3 back in 06).

2 questions:
1. what is everyone's personal preference in terms of (official) colour vs original black and white manga?
2. How bad is the translation for part 5? Ive read some negative about it, but is it at least satisfactory in conveying an accurate english translation?

I'd go with black and white, the official colouring isn't terrible but it usually doesn't look as good as Araki's shading. The old part 5 translation is bad but the new one is moving along quickly. Depending on how fast you plan to read it, following along with the new translation shouldn't be too difficult.

Hatty

I prefer black and white, color scans tend to look shiny.
Part 5 is getting redone but won't be finished until next year. I'd avoid the old scans until then, they're worse than Duwang despite being mostly grammatically correct. The translation just changes things randomly and just makes things up most of the time.

2 questions:

1. Black and White for Araki shading
2. It's being redone because the original is so flat. It's coming along.

That reminds me of why they never used hermit purple to find kira. Guess I can just handwave it as Joseph being too old to look without any frame of reference.

cntr

Banned
Okay, I'm reading Vento Aureo with the new translation.

What the hell? I'm not that far in, but Giorno's awesome.

Okay, I'm reading Vento Aureo with the new translation.

What the hell? I'm not that far in, but Giorno's awesome.

Giorno makes a great first impression, even with shit scans. It's really when he hooks up with the rest of passione that people have a problem.

Then again, I still need to re-read the new translation

That reminds me of why they never used hermit purple to find kira. Guess I can just handwave it as Joseph being too old to look without any frame of reference.

That...is an excellent question considering that the entire point of Joseph going to Morioh was to use Hermit Purple to find a stand user that they didn't know the identity of.

Tizoc

Hey it fits!
Really hope we could get Part 4 anime as early as Early 2016, then get Season 2 of Part 4 during Late 2016.
Then Late 2017 we can finally experience DTL's posts about Part 5 anime~

That...is an excellent question considering that the entire point of Joseph going to Morioh was to use Hermit Purple to find a stand user that they didn't know the identity of.

It was bugging me so much I went a did research on it for close to 20 minutes until finally someone pointed out that the first spirit photo we see (Angelo) exists because Joseph tried to get a spirit photo of josuke and got someone else, so there we go.

cntr

Banned
from reddit:
Tonight, Masterpiece Theater presents the first installment of a five part series, the BBC adaption of Phantom Blood: a story of the dramatic rivalry of two young men in late 1800's England, a noblemen and his adopted brother, which gets thrust into the supernatural thanks to a bizarre stone mask.

cntr

Banned
do you guys really think that the BBC would be adapting jojo parts

Anyway, I'm reading ahead to Stone Ocean since I don't want to read Vento Aureo in the bad translation.

holy fucking shit Jolyne getting 15 years and her reaction really depressed me

I hope Romeo gets ORAORAORA'd or worse

As someone who read Duwang back when it was the only option and the current mix of part 5 I've gotta say part 5 right now is 100% readable. Sure, the better-translated parts read better but, personally, my issues with that part don't have anything to do with the translation anyway.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
do you guys really think that the BBC would be adapting jojo parts

Anyway, I'm reading ahead to Stone Ocean since I don't want to read Vento Aureo in the bad translation.

holy fucking shit Jolyne getting 15 years and her reaction really depressed me

I hope Romeo gets ORAORAORA'd or worse

You'll be very surprised by his fate

cntr

Banned
>Skipping parts because of bad translations.

http://i.imgur.com/VeaTogj.jpg

Nearly as bad as people who make DUWANG jokes who never even read it.
Duwang, at least, is funny. Part 5 isn't even that. It's just bad.

It's grammatically correct, sure, but you won't believe the shit it leaves out. There's a reason it's one of the most popular parts in Japan but one of the most disliked in America!

I'll read Vento Aureo as the good translation comes out. I want it to be a ~golden experience~.

Duwang, at least, is funny. Part 5 isn't even that. It's just bad.

The Part 5 mistranslations basically turned everyone into robots with no personality. Like the comparison between old part 5 translation and new Part 5 translation is night and day in regards to how much character is conveyed through dialogue. A big example of this is the constant lack of contractions like 'you're'.

cntr

Banned
The Part 5 mistranslations basically turned everyone into robots with no personality. Like the comparison between old part 5 translation and new Part 5 translation is night and day in regards to how much character is conveyed through dialogue. A big example of this is the constant lack of contractions like 'you're'.
Oh, um, to be clear, I'm talking about the old translation, not the part as it would be properly translated.

Lernaean

Banned
? I didn't say that it wasn't a stand battle. It's explicitly a stand battle.

It's certainly different and helps the series have positive variety, I'll give it that.

I like the way it moves from relying on battle stands, and turns to other ways of competing with stand abilities, and I think this one was a good example, maybe a bit lengthier than needed tbh, but it worked.
It also works good with the mystery focus of the part, instead of straight action.

I'll read Vento Aureo as the good translation comes out. I want it to be a ~golden experience~.

I read Part 5 like that and read Part 4 DUWANG (and when reading DUWANG I took it 100% serious and never noticed all the stupid stuff) and Part 5 is still my favourite part even with a literal boring and uninteresting translation.

Although you can surprise me and say you like it if the new translation completely changes the perspective for the fans and if not and you say it's still not very good...

6n7LlxD.jpg

I like the way it moves from relying on battle stands, and turns to other ways of competing with stand abilities, and I think this one was a good example, maybe a bit lengthier than needed tbh, but it worked.
It also works good with the mystery focus of the part, instead of straight action.

I definitely liked the way Josuke needed to figure things out and I liked the lack of punch ghost action. If I'd been reading it month to month the point where it goes to a second fight probably would've made me flip a table, though. It turned out fairly interesting in a weird way but I'm still scratching my head over the framework of stag beetle fighting to begin with. Yes, of all the random and glorious things in this manga, in this part even, it's stag beetles that I had a hard time going along with.

Lernaean

Banned
I Yes, of all the random and glorious things in this manga, in this part even, it's stag beetles that I had a hard time going along with.

As i said, it's undeniably lengthier than it could have been. Maybe it was Araki's way of putting more weight to the character as it already seems he'll play a part later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom