• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatty

I had not expected that out of all characters in part 3, the best one and the one who values human life the most would be Iggy the dog!

In the first part of SDC they all beat to a pulp some bikers in a bar because they could not find the culprit.
Noriaki and Joseph buy a car because everything in life can be bought with money. Joseph later cheats on his wife.
In the final sequence, Jotaro and Polnarref steal a motorcycle, while Jotaro burst the tire of a car, endangering the life of the driver

Kakyoin fed a baby it's own poop
The baby was an asshole but still

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
He's boring in comparison to the two JoJo's he's sandwiched between, but that's also entirely unfair because those two were the best.

Beyond that, he's fine. I think the anime did well enough to highlight that Jotaro's got a lot more to him than people give credit.

Yeah, Jotaro is actually a pretty funny character with how he reacts so seriously to everything (and his brand of sarcasm), and I think the anime makes that delivery more obvious than the manga...

But really, StarDust Crusaders is easily the most comedic part when you look it over.

Watch Da Birdie

Cats are actually treated pretty ok in Jojo. Unless that cat Formaggio stuffed in a whisky glass was left to starve.

Mista introduces himself by bragging how he killed a cat that scratched him...

'Course, I always assumed by his tone he was lying to sound tougher.

RangerBAD

Has this been posted?

tumblr_mwubnxTUEz1r07tmxo1_400.gif

Watch Da Birdie

My favorite JoJo video has always been the Part 5 video with the Sakura Taisen theme

Love the voice clips from the PS2 game especially.

Jojo's Bizarre Emaki Adventure, has spoilers through the end of Part 7 too. Is also probably some of the best 13 minutes you'll spend on Youtube.

All those Nico Nico Douga-style medleys are ace. I love the Kamen Rider Blade one done in the same style.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That guy's mom has some good taste, considering Jonathan is the only one on that list who would treat his wife great.
In one of the shortest lived marriages of all time, no less

petran79

Banned
I had forgotten a lot of things about part 4, so I decided to re-read it.
While part 5, 6 and 7 feature totally different stories and characters, part 4 seems like a repetition of part 3 with similar characters, stands and battles, but in a different setting.
Araki was still experimenting with stands.

Some characters are similar (eg Tamami and Alessi, Kira and Dio, Polnarref and Okuyasu, Noriaki and Rohan, Cheap Trick and Empress etc).
Final battle also uses the element of time, though with a different twist in the end.
Adding ghosts and perhaps aliens was what made the story more interesting. Also adding other animals like rats and a cat was something that would not be repeated later.

An anime adaptation of this series would have been much better than Stardust Crusaders. Taking place in just one small city instead of half of the world, would have allowed them to focus more on the characters. I hope it gets adapted sometime till next year.

I remember that while I found part 4 good overall, it did not excite me as much as part 3, because it had more or less the same events happen. Now I confirmed it. But it had much better character development, perhaps the best in the whole Jojo manga. Last time where characters would not be dominated by fashion magazine expressions.

Well, Stray Cat had a hard life too.

Not true.
Despite taking part in the final battle, he was hardly hurt and was adopted in the end!

There's an easier way to play it, of course. I've had it on DC for a decade but it doesn't work anymore only when it wants to.

GD-ROM disc still works for me, problem is PAL version does not support VGA output. Had to use the RDC Japanese version.

Some people were talking about the Vento Aureo translation in the Stardust Crusaders thread, so I'm linking these things that discuss what was lost or missed here, and pointing them here, so that we don't fill that thread with spoilers.

http://jazztronic.tumblr.com/tagged/vento-aureo

http://jazztronic.tumblr.com/post/104160149698

Huh, some of this stuff seems like it would be difficult to come across in any english translation, good or bad.

Maybe an anime might help this out

I had forgotten a lot of things about part 4, so I decided to re-read it.
While part 5, 6 and 7 feature totally different stories and characters, part 4 seems like a repetition of part 3 with similar characters, stands and battles, but in a different setting.
Araki was still experimenting with stands.

Some characters are similar (eg Tamami and Alessi, Kira and Dio, Polnarref and Okuyasu, Noriaki and Rohan, Cheap Trick and Empress etc).
Final battle also uses the element of time, though with a different twist in the end.
Adding ghosts and perhaps aliens was what made the story more interesting. Also adding other animals like rats and a cat was something that would not be repeated later.

An anime adaptation of this series would have been much better than Stardust Crusaders. Taking place in just one small city instead of half of the world, would have allowed them to focus more on the characters. I hope it gets adapted sometime till next year.

I remember that while I found part 4 good overall, it did not excite me as much as part 3, because it had more or less the same events happen. Now I confirmed it. But it had much better character development, perhaps the best in the whole Jojo manga. Last time where characters would not be dominated by fashion magazine expressions.

Hmm, I can't say I agree. Of your comparisons I can only really see the Empress and Cheap trick one. Tamami and Alessi are completely different, at least to me.

I see none of DIO in Kira, Kira is far more reserved, except in his moments of extreme narcissism.

I can see some similarities between Okuyasu and Polnareff (pretty dumb), but their dynamics in their respective parts are different enough that it doesn't even feel like a factor to me.

I don't see any of Kakyoin in Rohan, Rohan is far more eccentric and talkative.

And all the final battles stand wise are time related, and Bites the Dust literally has nothing in common with The World other than being time related.

To me, it felt like part 5 feels like it was going after part 3 again.

JayEH

Some people were talking about the Vento Aureo translation in the Stardust Crusaders thread, so I'm linking these things that discuss what was lost or missed here, and pointing them here, so that we don't fill that thread with spoilers.

http://jazztronic.tumblr.com/tagged/vento-aureo

http://jazztronic.tumblr.com/post/104160149698

Saddens me that a lot of this will never properly be portrayed in even a proper English translation. Really good stuff in there though. Part 5 still has a lot of major problems in it but it at least has less of them in Japanese it seems.

I got the first OVA dvd because I wanted to check out that adaption, and it came with two Tarot cards. I also started Part 3 anime, and I hope to finish before part 4.

Also, regarding those ova dvds, the last three which are the 1993 ova are ridiculously expensive. You can get the first three for less than $20, even $10, but I haven't seen volumes 4-6 for less than $60. It's crazy.

cntr

Banned
And all the final battles stand wise are time related, and Bites the Dust literally has nothing in common with The World other than being time related.
And every final villain in Jojo after Stands were introduced use a time-based power. The World, Killer Queen: Bite the Dust, King Crimson, Made in Heaven.

Even D4C is not directly time based, but is based around timelines.

Erigu

Overall I’m really happy with the French translation, even though it’s an older edition and it shows in a few romanization mistakes (Formaggio is written as “Hormaggio” and Naples - or Napoli in Italian, since they write the names in Italian - becomes “Neapolis”? While all the other cities are written properly? It is a mistery).
What's a mystery to me is that someone who seems so knowledgeable would actually wonder about that... Haven't they read the Japanese version?

cntr

Banned
What's a mystery to me is that someone who seems so knowledgeable would actually wonder about that... Haven't they read the Japanese version?
The mystery is why the French version kept the Japanese names instead of using the French names, which they actually did with all the other cities.

Erigu

The mystery is why the French version kept the Japanese names instead of using the French names, which they actually did with all the other cities.
Wait, what?

EDIT:
'Kay, I'll just explain the whole thing right now, as I don't imagine a lot of people in this thread are particularly interested in French translation choices...

So that Tumblr said:
Overall I’m really happy with the French translation, even though it’s an older edition and it shows in a few romanization mistakes (Formaggio is written as “Hormaggio” and Naples - or Napoli in Italian, since they write the names in Italian - becomes “Neapolis”? While all the other cities are written properly? It is a mistery).
First off, "Hormaggio" / "Formaggio"...
In Japanese, that character's name is spelled "ホルマジオ" ("horumajio"). And since (I'm pretty sure) there was no official alphabet spelling for that name at the time of the translation, you kinda had to deduce said spelling.
So. A lot of Part 5 characters are named after Italian words for various types of food, and here, we have something extremely close to "フォルマジオ" ("forumagio"), the Japanese transliteration of "formaggio", the Italian word for "cheese".
So while there's little doubt as to what the name is based on, there's an ambiguity as to how it should be spelled in alphabet: did Araki use "ホ" ("ho") instead of "フォ" ("fo") on purpose, or was that a mistake? There would be precedents for both possibilities, so it's a bit of a coin toss between acknowledging or ignoring that odd "ホ" ("ho") in the alphabet spelling.
Since Araki is supposed to be fairly familiar with Italy and Italian food, I reasoned he probably wouldn't make a mistake and went with the former, although I admittedly had no reason to feel particularly confident about that choice.
Years later, the JoJoveller artbook went and used the alphabet spelling "Formaggio" (I'm under the impression it simply used the same name spellings as the Italian translation of the series, for Part 5), so if I had to to do it again, that's what I'd use, now. But there really was no way to be sure, at the time.

Anyway, as said above, I'm a bit surprised someone who seems fairly knowledgeable wouldn't be aware of the original "ホルマジオ" ("horumajio") spelling and/or wouldn't see where I was coming from.

As for "Neapolis" / "Napoli" / "Naples"...
That author of that Tumblr apparently believes Araki used the Italian name of "Naples", i.e. "Napoli" (well, that would be "ナポリ" ("napori"), in Japanese) in the original text. That seems like a fair assumption considering, well, that is how you say "Naples" in Japan.
Thing is, he didn't. He called that first city "ネアポリス" ("neaporisu"). And we can catch a glimpse of a "NEAPOLI-" and a "NEAP-" (in alphabet) in a wallet in volume 48, page 71, when Giorno first meets Polpo.
So, yeah, Araki apparently went with "Neapolis", i.e. the old name of Naples.
My personal theory as to what happened there (I should have confirmed that with Araki when I had the chance, in retrospect)... I think Part 5 and the Passione gang were originally supposed to be much smaller in scale (note how the one arrow the organization had was in Neapolis specifically, there was nothing in Bucciarati's volume 48 explanations that hinted at Passione extending beyond that city either, and in that same volume, Giorno was talking about defeating the boss and taking control of Neapolis). Much like Part 4. And just as Araki used an obviously-based-on-a-real-place-but-ultimately-fictional town in Part 4, I think that's what he intended to do in Part 5. Hence "Neapolis": a fictional version of Naples. But then, Araki probably figured it would be a waste not to use this golden opportunity to travel around in Italy and do some sightseeing, so he switched to another approach more akin to Part 3's, real place names and all. (Note that Araki used "Neapolis" again in Part 7, where it was the name of a fictional kingdom.)

So, there again, as knowledgeable as that Tumblr person appears to be, it seems he/she claimed "Neapolis" was a romanization mistake without actually checking the original Japanese beforehand.

cntr

Banned
The Neapolis thing is interesting. But here's my explanation of the ho/fo thing:

So while there's little doubt as to what the name is based on, there's an ambiguity as to how it should be spelled in alphabet: did Araki use "ホ" ("ho") instead of "フォ" ("fo") on purpose, or was that a mistake? There would be precedents for both possibilities, so it's a bit of a coin toss between acknowledging or ignoring that odd "ホ" ("ho") in the alphabet spelling.
f is not a native sound in Japanese.

"f" occurs only as fu only in native Japanese -- but underlyingly, it's actually "hu". The lip rounding with the u caused the h to be pronounced as an f-like sound, and the guy who designed the normal romanization for Japanese decided to go for something that is more phonetically accurate, rather than reflecting the underlying system.

So f didn't exist before other vowels then -- thus formaggio would really be borrowed with a ho.

However, in newer Japanese, people became more aware of how English and other European languages worked -- and started using the f sound before other vowels, even though this was not possible in older Japanese. Language change at work! So a new modern borrrowing using fo was created.

Araki was using the older borrowing with ho. It's probably not meant to be anything special.

Watch Da Birdie

However, in newer Japanese, people became more aware of how English and other European languages worked -- and started using the f sound before other vowels, even though this was not possible in older Japanese. Language change at work! So a new modern borrrowing using fo was created.

Araki was using the older borrowing with ho. It's probably not meant to be anything special.

Well, Araki did use the "フォ" for Forever "フォーエバー".

Although in that case he doesn't appear to be pronouncing the hard "r" in Forever like in Formaggio, instead using the "fo-ever" pronunciation you'd tend to hear used in songs.

cntr

Banned
Well, Araki did use the "フォ" for Forever "フォーエバー".

Although in that case he doesn't appear to be pronouncing the hard "r" in Forever like in Formaggio, instead using the "fo-ever" pronunciation you'd tend to hear used in songs.
Nah, sorry, wasn't clear -- I didn't mean that these were exclusive. People can mix older and newer borrowings freely.

Squishy3

I just realized if/when Part 7 gets an animated adaptation in 20 years it's going to be really fucking silly for official subs when Funny Valentine's voice actor is LITERALLY saying Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and the subs say Filthy Acts At A Reasonable Price.

I just realized if/when Part 7 gets an animated adaptation in 20 years it's going to be really fucking silly for official subs when Funny Valentine's voice actor is LITERALLY saying Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and the subs say Filthy Acts At A Reasonable Price.

david pro could have some foresight and just rewrite it so he says "d4c" every time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Marine biodiversity is greater near and along the equator. Florida gets you access to the Carribeans, what does California get you? Maybe the west coast of Mexico.

nature09329-f2.2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom