• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I read Part 5 like that and read Part 4 DUWANG (and when reading DUWANG I took it 100% serious and never noticed all the stupid stuff) and Part 5 is still my favourite part even with a literal boring and uninteresting translation.
Same.

Also, I love this gif.

tumblr_npufceRbmM1smc37qo1_500.gif

jgminto

The stag beetle battle was probably one of the best part of Jojolion so far. Certainly a more exciting opponent than Yotsuyu.

Certainly a more exciting opponent than Yotsuyu.

『I Am A Rock』

I really like the rock men, just a shame they seemed to be disposed of with such ease.

For anyone who recently read JJL what's the pacing like in all one go? Reading it monthly has me curious how the time transitions, does it seem like it's all happened so fast or not?

『I Am A Rock』

I really like the rock men, just a shame they seemed to be disposed of with such ease.

For anyone who recently read JJL what's the pacing like in all one go? Reading it monthly has me curious how the time transitions, does it seem like it's all happened so fast or not?

It usually takes a week or two for a full translation to come out. Sometimes, if you're lucky, earlier. I'm always going into the JJBA forums, on the lookout for that link...

It usually takes a week or two for a full translation to come out. Sometimes, if you're lucky, earlier. I'm always going into the JJBA forums, on the lookout for that link...
I think he meant how the pacing of JoJolion feels like if you read it one go instead of reading it monthly. Sometimes the passage of time in manga can feel slow when you're reading it monthly.

I literally just caught up last week and the pacing seemed pretty brisk to me. When the characters are just talking, and the mystery is being built on, I don't think I would have a problem with the month to month breaks. It's the fights that I think would get hurt by the monthly style.

Also, out of curiosity, I would like to hear what makes Vento Aureo your favorite part. I don't mean anything by it, but you seem to be one of the few people I've seen who champion a mostly frowned upon part.

Also, out of curiosity, I would like to hear what makes Vento Aureo your favorite part. I don't mean anything by it, but you seem to be one of the few people I've seen who champion a mostly frowned upon part.

I don't really think it's the best part or anything, I believe that's Steel Ball Run but when reading it I did really enjoy it and I don't particularly care for gangster squad movies or stories that much. But the boy band homoerotic undertones and general overall more vibrant and flamboyant style is what I like about it the most. I mean yeah, in the vanilla translation the characters don't seem to stand out in speech only in actions, Giorno's stand is a bit too flawless and most people were a bit disheartened it didn't reach out to him and explore more about who his dad is and the revelations of knowing where he came from.

But it has such a fun main cast, I mean Fugo can be looked down upon and I did the same (Until I read PHF) and the swiftness in pace of doing the missions and being hunted down was very enthralling it was the part I read the fastest because of this. It has some of the best fights in the series as well but also some of the most confusing. Some common complaints are "Giorno is boring, King Crimson is poorly explained." etc. This is partly down to the scans though, I'd say. Also Giorno not being the leader isn't really a problem, since he's assertive and a core member of the group but he allows Buccellati to lead his squad you don't just enter a new group of people and take over, you have to earn their trust and that's what Giorno does. Also a sufficient lack of Jotaro for this part is a good thing too GOD DAMN. You've had your part now away with you. Final fight is very silly though, the body swapping, the reveal of Diavolo, Narancia dying in a bullshit way. GER coming out with the arrow is either bullshit or Giorno didn't have some understanding of the power that time so GER didn't spring out against Black Sabbath.

Oh and Part 5 has the most unique stand cries too.

Every part has its own strengths and flaws but I think a lot of people choose not to acknowledge that when shaming others.

I feel Araki wanted to convey that Giorno was always staying back and quietly paying attention to everything going on. He gets an insane amount of close ups during the talking scenes. I feel it went a bit overboard however and Giorno didn't get around to standing out.

Erigu

You must've read it in Japanese. How does it explain KC?
Poorly. I don't know how the explanation was translated exactly, but I wouldn't assume something got lost in the process, really. Even ignoring the early "Bucciarati just punched himself" bit (and let's be honest, here: as a rule, we're all better off not losing sleep over the weird shit that happens whenever a new power or Stand gets introduced), it just doesn't work...
Sometimes, all that stuff that happened when time got "erased" still happened (the cat's paw prints, the blood droplets, etc), other times, nope, it's as if nothing happened at all (the bullets just went through Doppio/Diavolo without hurting him).
And are people conscious, in that segment of time that gets "erased"? I mean, it's not just that they're disoriented when it's over and can't remember what happened, apparently: it actually makes Bucciarati miss. So... er... he was just some kind of brain-dead zombie who couldn't see he was missing his target but kept moving anyway? And meanwhile, the cat also absentmindedly kept walking across Giorno's lap? How does that work, anyway?

Giorno is a bit plain but not exactly offensively uninteresting.
Maybe not offensively so, but...
I think it's a bit of a shame that the fact he had ulterior motives only Bucciarati was aware of never really mattered, in the end. That could have made him stand out a bit more, but nope... Well, that and the fact he was Dio's son, I guess!

cntr

Banned
From what I've seen, KC is far more badly explained in the scans. The Japanese explanation is already complex, and the translator wasn't very good at Japanese -- so he made it way more confusing.

Here is the actual explanation I got from Japanese-reading friends, paraphrased:

When King Crimson erases time, the following things happen:

1. Diavolo can act like normal within the time block.
2. Events that were happening when the time erase began, will happen. Thus, a plate falling down will be broken at the end.
3. The same applies to people. If you're climbing stairs, or eating food, you will have been doing it while time was erased.
4. You don't remember what you were doing.
5. Diavolo, being active during erased time, can avoid and manipulate things that happened during skipped time without others being aware of it.

In essence, think of the erased time, say, 10 seconds, having had happened -- then retroactively erased, meaning that while it has ceased to exist, the things that it caused "before" being erased still exist. King Crimson removes the cause of events -- but keeps the effect.

That said, Araki gives no shits about consistency. So don't worry about it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
From what I've seen, KC is far more badly explained in the scans. The Japanese explanation is already complex, and the translator wasn't very good at Japanese -- so he made it way more confusing.

Here is the actual explanation I got from Japanese-reading friends, paraphrased:

When King Crimson erases time, the following things happen:

2. Events that were happening when the time erase began, will happen. Thus, a plate falling down will be broken at the end.
3. The same applies to people. If you're climbing stairs, or eating food, you will have been doing it while time was erased.
4. You don't remember what you were doing.
5. Diavolo, being active during erased time, can avoid and manipulate things that happened during skipped time without others being aware of it.

In essence, think of the erased time, say, 10 seconds, having had happened -- then retroactively erased, meaning that while it has ceased to exist, the things that it caused "before" being erased still exist. King Crimson removes the cause of events -- but keeps the effect.

That said, Araki gives no shits about consistency. So don't worry about it.
And now it finally makes sense. Thank you.

Erigu

And now it finally makes sense.
Still doesn't though. If King Crimson's ability made it so the bullets could go through Doppio/Diavolo's head without hurting him / leaving a trace, Polnareff's blood droplets (for example) should have gone through his leg and maybe even the ground. Seems it just does whatever is convenient for the plot at a given time.

Also:
[...]
Wouldn't that mean everybody else still acts like normal as well, actually (the only difference being that they then forget what happened during those few seconds and thus become confused)?
Or are we to understand that Diavolo is the only one who can react? But what would that mean? Nobody else is conscious, during those few seconds? Yet they keep moving anyway? Whah?

cntr

Banned
Wouldn't that mean everybody else still acts like normal as well, actually (the only difference being that they then forget what happened during those few seconds and thus become confused)?
Or are we to understand that Diavolo is the only one who can react? But what would that mean? Nobody else is conscious, during those few seconds? Yet they keep moving anyway? Whah?
If there was an action you were going to take during the time erase, those actions will have been taken without you remembering them -- technically, they didn't happen, but the effects resulting from it did.

Diavolo can violate this, and avoid having effects happen to him. Basically, "before" the time is erased, he can "edit" it to prevent things from happening to himself.

Malo

Banned
I was an anime only watcher of JoJo, but with part 3 ending last week, I couldn't wait for part 4 to get animated. I started reading part 4 earlier today (up to the part where Josuke defeats Angelo) and Josuke is already a better character than boring ass Jotaro and Jonathan.

I have today off and I plan to get through as much of part 4 as humanly possible. The Jojo hype is real.

Erigu

If there was an action you were going to take during the time erase, those actions will have been taken without you remembering them -- technically, they didn't happen, but the effects resulting from it did.

Diavolo can violate this, and avoid having effects happen to him. Basically, "before" the time is erased, he can "edit" it to prevent things from happening to himself.
I'm pretty sure that bit about Diavolo being an exception, able to "edit" those few seconds and thus prevent things from happening to him is just an extrapolation / attempt to rationalize Araki's contradictions. I don't remember anything in the actual text alluding to that, anyway.
In fact, when Diavolo explains how he managed to survive Aerosmith's bullets, he actually says that everything in the world disappeared during half a second. So that's not limited to the bullets that should have hit him. And as I mentioned before, by that logic, Polnareff's blood droplets trick shouldn't have worked, the cat's paw prints don't make sense, etc.

JayEH

I was an anime only watcher of JoJo, but with part 3 ending last week, I couldn't wait for part 4 to get animated. I started reading part 4 earlier today (up to the part where Josuke defeats Angelo) and Josuke is already a better character than boring ass Jotaro and Jonathan.

I have today off and I plan to get through as much of part 4 as humanly possible. The Jojo hype is real.

image.php

Lernaean

Banned

First of all, enjoy the best way to experience Jojo, which is reading the manga.
Also enjoy Pt4, imo the very best part, and also featuring (imo again) the best villain.
You'll also find that the pacing is a lot better in the manga.
I'll only have to disagree about Jotaro. Throughout the series, he's a very well developed character who actually ages and matures very well as time moves forward. I'm sure you'll notice this as well as you keep on reading.

You know he's right.

Ak, pls.

Malo

Banned
First of all, enjoy the best way to experience Jojo, which is reading the manga.
Also enjoy Pt4, imo the very best part, and also featuring (imo again) the best villain.
You'll also find that the pacing is a lot better in the manga.
I'll only have to disagree about Jotaro. Throughout the series, he's a very well developed character who actually ages and matures very well as time moves forward. I'm sure you'll notice this as well as you keep on reading.

Ak, pls.
Well, you clearly aren't biased with that Jotaro avatar! I'm talking strictly about Jotaro in part 3, but it's good to hear that he becomes a better character in part 4.

I tried to read Jojo much earlier, but the scans I found were pretty bad and the stardust crusaders anime was starting up, so I said fuck it. This time I was able to find a much better one and I plan to get through all the parts.

Tizoc

People still confused by King Crimson in 2015. C'mon guys.

Tell me about it.
Look here is how it works:
King Crimson alters reality

Normal reality occurs>KC alters the events that occur in Normal reality>changes done in new reality are forced on Normal reality

cntr

Banned
oh yeah, while we're talking about interpretations of stuff

Made in Heaven didn't kill everybody. Joseph, Josuke, Giorno, and so on -- they still exist in the End of Part 6 universe. But Made in Heaven rewrote the universe so that the people killed by it were revived in the new universe -- thus Jolyne became Irene, and presumably Jotaro is revived somewhere as well. This is video game canon, but Gold Experience Requiem is not affected by Made in Heaven, so Giorno likely remembers the original universe.

The End of Part 6 universe is not the Steel Ball Run universe. Irene is a Joestar, but she does not appear in the family tree in Jojolion.

Made in Heaven created a new multiverse, but it did not replace the original universe -- it simply repaired it into the End of Part 6 universe when Pucci was killed.

Tell me about it.
Look here is how it works:
King Crimson alters reality

Normal reality occurs>KC alters the events that occur in Normal reality>changes done in new reality are forced on Normal reality

Retcon Stand? That would actually help.

This is video game canon, but Gold Experience Requiem is not affected by Made in Heaven, so Giorno likely remembers the original universe.

I'd read that story.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Jojolion has been pretty low on allies with combat stands. Maybe they can finagle something with Yasuho and Paisley Park.

Paisley Park = a dialog box pops up asking the player to select from one of two attacks on block. One attack results in a reversal, the other fails to block the hit.

Ezalc

Jotaro is boring as shit no matter the part he's in. Only Giorno managed to out cardboard him so far.

Squishy3

Finally got around to watching that Eyes of Heaven PV. I love these because I could listen to Hiroshi Kamiya (Rohan) talk all day.

Nairume

Banned
He's boring in comparison to the two JoJo's he's sandwiched between, but that's also entirely unfair because those two were the best.

Beyond that, he's fine. I think the anime did well enough to highlight that Jotaro's got a lot more to him than people give credit.

That guy's mom has some good taste, considering Jonathan is the only one on that list who would treat his wife great.

Should've showed her some vento aureo characters for kicks lol.

petran79

Banned
I had not expected that out of all characters in part 3, the best one and the one who values human life the most would be Iggy the dog!

In the first part of SDC they all beat to a pulp some bikers in a bar because they could not find the culprit.
Noriaki and Joseph buy a car because everything in life can be bought with money. Joseph later cheats on his wife.
In the final sequence, Jotaro and Polnarref steal a motorcycle, while Jotaro burst the tire of a car, endangering the life of the driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom