• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Goddamnit Kira
tumblr_nsa9ssqLPd1s2kojso1_1280.png

No need to lose your marbles over some insects Pucci...
tumblr_ns7ymlJpQZ1s2kojso1_540.jpg

I finished Stardust Crusaders. Ending was okay. Jotaro beat super-saiyan glam Dio because he was able to punch harder because he was angrier than usual. :/ Well, overall it was fun. I did not like the D'arby the Player episodes, though. They felt like a retread, honestly.

So, I want to continue Jojo, but I'm not sure where to go. Any recommendations on where to read part four? I was thinking about getting Rohan at the Louvre for some Araki content to fill this void.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I finished Stardust Crusaders. Ending was okay. Jotaro beat super-saiyan glam Dio because he was able to punch harder because he was angrier than usual. :/ Well, overall it was fun. I did not like the D'arby the Player episodes, though. They felt like a retread, honestly.

So, I want to continue Jojo, but I'm not sure where to go. Any recommendations on where to read part four? I was thinking about getting Rohan at the Louvre for some Araki content to fill this void.

Read Part 4, be sure to not get the Duwang translation tho. After that, you could wait for the Part 5 retranslation which should be finished in less than a year, or skip it and go to Part 6.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't recall Part 4 getting an official translation/release here in the US. Viz MIGHT considering they released Parts 1 & 2, but considering Part 4 is slightly longer than Part 3 (& already longer than Parts 1 & 2 combined), I don't know if they'll bother considering translating it.

But yeah, don't read the Duwang translations, they're awful.

Yeah it seems that apart from the new Phantom Blood and soon-to-be released Battle Tendency releases, Viz only bothered with Stardust. I wish they continued because I would have started buying the next series.

I don't recall Part 4 getting an official translation/release here in the US. Viz MIGHT considering they released Parts 1 & 2, but considering Part 4 is slightly longer than Part 3 (& already longer than Parts 1 & 2 combined), I don't know if they'll bother considering translating it.

But yeah, don't read the Duwang translations, they're awful.

If by awful you mean timeless, then you are correct sir.

Also, Amazon op arachnid plz nerf. Got Phantom blood v.3 for 10$, including tax.

Ezalc

Goddamnit, who cast Bryce Papenbrook as Caesar? Dude's got like two different voices in his repertoir and neither of them are anywhere near appropriate for Sheeza :(

Sucks, cuz I think Ben Diskin is perfect for Joseph and hoped that the rest of BT's cast would have appropriate voices as well.

Hearing Numbuh 1 as Joseph is really odd.

This seems like a fan dub for real. Like wooooooooooow, if this goes on [AS] or something and you're exposed to this I'm so sorry... You didn't read the manga.

D-Man

Patrick Seitz is really good as Dio. His "USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS" is actually good.

Agreed. He's probably the best voice in the entire cast. He's not perfect by any means, but it seems that he understands Dio and I actually like the way he represents him.

Why does every single voice in the dub sound like an American doing a fake _______ accent? Some are more convincing than others, but the voice acting is pretty solidly meh with a few decent or good performances.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
What is the VA for Stroheim even doing. He got a role that's just shouting everything and he still screwed it up.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Weird, I noticed that if you search for it, it mentions Matthew Mercer & Richard Epcar as "Starring". Example:

001_microsoftedge_useiwz7d.jpg

Squishy3

Joseph is British though and not American. Battle Tendency starts shortly after they move to New York, so he'd have been there long enough to develop the British accent.

The execution just isn't great in the dub.

On that note, something that always bothered me in Part 1, Speedwagon always refers to Jonathan as Mr. Joestar but his VA always says Joestar-san, you'd think the voice director would've had him say Mr. Joestar.

JayEH

They should have just dropped the accents if they were going to be this bad. I think most of the cast is actually passable/decent (especially Dio) with the weak links being Jonathan and Stroheim.

Why did they have to mess up Stroheim?

Squishy3

They should have just dropped the accents if they were going to be this bad. I think most of the cast is actually passable/decent (especially Dio) with the weak links being Jonathan and Stroheim.

Why did they have to mess up Stroheim?
Think it's just miscasting on behalf of the accents, there's definitely good anime dubs with proper accents. Baccano immediately springs to mind, and it's hammy in all the right ways. Hellsing Ultimate is great as well.

Kurtofan

Weird, I noticed that if you search for it, it mentions Matthew Mercer & Richard Epcar as "Starring". Example:

001_microsoftedge_useiwz7d.jpg

I think that's only the thirst three episodes. Might be the test dub.

edit: I read that they redid the dubs for the first three episodes apparently, not sure though.

Should really just hire genuine British people. lol. Can't wait until they have Jotaro and Kakyoin speak in really terrible broken English.

Read Part 4, be sure to not get the Duwang translation tho. After that, you could wait for the Part 5 retranslation which should be finished in less than a year, or skip it and go to Part 6.
I forgot to ask earlier, but what is the problem with that translation? Did they screw up the names or something?

I forgot to ask earlier, but what is the problem with that translation? Did they screw up the names or something?

Duwang translation was a shitty translation job of a Chinese version of Part 4. It's hilarious to read, but not a good choice for your first time reading through it. Part 5's translation has the issue of the translator just fucking simple things up from time to time and just being lazy. Unlike Duwang it's generally grammatically correct, but still damages Part 5 which is a weak Jojo Part without those issues.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Duwang is in "so bad it's good" territory.
Screwed up names, pointless swearing, terrible grammar, lines so misinterpreted they lose any meaning whatsoever, random Chinese here and there. Yet, if you're aware of what's actually going on, reading some Duwang can be mildly entertaining.

The original part 5 translation is just bad. Flavorless and with lines made up on the spot. No wonder the English audience usually finds the part disappointing (the Italian edition was pretty great instead).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Part 5 confirmations for Eyes of Heaven: Giorno, Fugo, Narancia, & Mista are all in.

.............where the hell is Bruno, though.

Astral

Dio sounds amazing. Patrick Seitz seems to know what he's doing with the character. Suzie Q is hilarious but in a good way lol. I love these two the most. Nigel Uno as Joseph is too fucking bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom