• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

Banned
Up to the Grateful Dead chapters.

I like how the enemies in Vento Aureo feel more human than previous Parts. The Stand users felt like operatic weirdos who existed to get punched, but the guys here are just dudes doing their job and fighting to avenge their dead friends. It probably helps that, the heroes also being violent gangsters themselves, it feels like there's an equal playing field for both sides.

JayEH

Started Vento Aureo, up until the introduction of Fugo's Stand.

Giorno sounds like a fanfic character on paper, being Dio and Johnathan's half vampire son, but I really like how the group are actual, bloodthirsty, murderous gangsters. Jotaro and Joseph only ever killed in the heat of battle and Josuke didn't kill anyone, period, but these guys are ready to just destroy you. Plus, using the backstory of JoJo to jump off into a completely new country with wholly new characters and conflicts is such a cool idea and something I wish JoJo did a bit more.

Yeah for sure. These pretty boys don't fuck around.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Up to the Grateful Dead chapters.

I like how the enemies in Vento Aureo feel more human than previous Parts. The Stand users felt like operatic weirdos who existed to get punched, but the guys here are just dudes doing their job and fighting to avenge their dead friends. It probably helps that, the heroes also being violent gangsters themselves, it feels like there's an equal playing field for both sides.
This is why I love Part 5. The story has a much more natural flow to it than the others and the characters and their actions feel more authentic.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ever wondered if your favorite celebrity gained a Stand based on their works?

Like if William Shatner got The Final Frontier or Leonard Nimoy got The Voyage Home.

Also that new chapter, so
Kira is older than Josefumi?!

Weiss

Banned
Fugo you goddamn coward.

Diavolo's intro chapter was kind of lame. His Stand just seems like a big rip off of The World, and he seems really underwelling after Dio, Kars, and Kira.

Speaking of Dio, I found out that Araki apparently confirmed him as bisexual at some point. It's really rare to find queer villains that aren't raging stereotypes or explicitly made out as giant perverts.

Fugo you goddamn coward.

Diavolo's intro chapter was kind of lame. His Stand just seems like a big rip off of The World, and he seems really underwelling after Dio, Kars, and Kira.

Speaking of Dio, I found out that Araki apparently confirmed him as bisexual at some point. It's really rare to find queer villains that aren't raging stereotypes or explicitly made out as giant perverts.

5XKyaTi.png

Fugo you goddamn coward.

All true!

Memes aside King Crimson is pretty cool though

Somax

King Crimson is awesome.
And I still don't see where the confusion about its power comes from.
It's decently understandable.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I don't really get what the big deal is
about an age difference between the two tbh.

Kira was talking about watching Titanic which released in '97, so Kira would be around 15 during the flash back. Josuke looks about 4-6 during the flashback so he's about 18-20.

Squishy3

Jojolion chapter 50

So yup, bubble part is Josefumi's stand. Kira's getting the fruit to cure Holly of the rock disease, maybe since their own tree is only made from one branch grafted onto another tree, the fruit isn't as potent and so the equivalent exchange Holly undergoes isn't as extreme as the other examples of people eating one? So she only loses the section of her brain that lets her differentiate people from objects.

jgminto

Wasn't the bubble part of Soft & Wet originally from Killer Queen? I remember his power being exploding bubbles in Jojolion when first introduced. Guess Araki changed his mind again.

cntr

Banned
Wasn't the bubble part of Soft & Wet originally from Killer Queen? I remember his power being exploding bubbles in Jojolion when first introduced. Guess Araki changed his mind again.
That was the standard assumption, but Araki never said it outright.

Squishy3

That's what what's-her-face said when meeting Gappy and explaining.

I mean the bubbles have a seam on them so.

IDB4YCJ.png

Weiss

Banned
Well, that's Vento Aureo.

I'm understanding the backlash, because that finale was pretty lame, even more disappointed than how I felt about the ho-hum conclusion to Diamond is Unbreakable. Giorno becoming the single most broken thing ever to curbstomp Diavolo wasn't as satisfying as it should have been to see. Speaking of, Giorno never really took the reigns of the series the way Josuke, another protagonist without a lot of personal stake in the matter, got. It felt a lot more like Buccelati's Bizarre Adventure than GioGio's.

Seriously, wtf is with bringing back Polnareff only to kill him off and stuff him into a turtle.

It still has its good parts; the cast is strong, the fights are creative, the Stands are among the most creative, and there's more personality given to the villains other than the main this time. It probably didn't help that I moved onto the lesser quality scans.

Jaxec

Well, that's Vento Aureo.

I'm understanding the backlash, because that finale was pretty lame, even more disappointed than how I felt about the ho-hum conclusion to Diamond is Unbreakable. Giorno becoming the single most broken thing ever to curbstomp Diavolo wasn't as satisfying as it should have been to see. Speaking of, Giorno never really took the reigns of the series the way Josuke, another protagonist without a lot of personal stake in the matter, got. It felt a lot more like Buccelati's Bizarre Adventure than GioGio's.

Seriously, wtf is with bringing back Polnareff only to kill him off and stuff him into a turtle.

It still has its good parts; the cast is strong, the fights are creative, the Stands are among the most creative, and there's more personality given to the villains other than the main this time. It probably didn't help that I moved onto the lesser quality scans.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on Part 5 and I find myself agreeing with most of what you said. The cast was fun and Buccelati was the man, definitely my favorite character from part 5. I always hear about people hating the final confrontation with Diavolo, but I really enjoyed it. I also always felt that Diavolo could have been a way better villain than he was. Well at least he still has King Crimson. So I assume you're going on to part 6? If so, are you gonna read it in color or black and white?

Jaxec

There's color scans?

Has Stone Ocean gotten a full, non Duwang translation?

Yep. I think it was also the first part to be fully colored. Also part 7 has like the first 15ish or so chapters in color and Part 8 has the first 4 so far. You got through the bad part 5 translations so you're good translation wise for the rest of JoJo. Good luck.

Mista was so boring that the only reason he lived was because Araki forgot to kill him off.

giphy.gif

Cool Stand? Check.
Funny as hell with great dialogue? Check.
Loyal to his squad? Check.
Goes balls-to-the-wall in every fight he is involved in? Check.
Bestest of bros with Giorno? Motherfucking check.

Now FUGO, that no-good bastard, is someone I can see being called boring. But Mista? Nahhhhhh.

Boss Doggie

I only mentioned the age because I thought
Josefumi looked a tad younger than someone in his late 20's

Weiss

Banned
Onto Stone Ocean.

I like how Jotaro still dresses the same even though he's 42 years old. Hell he even looks younger than he did in Stardust Crusaders.

Squishy3

I also remember them mentioning that Kira's powers were exploding bubbles. I think Araki really did change his mind.
I mean it's like yes and no. That's from 30 chapters ago when she was explaining to Gappy that he was two people, and the seam on the bubble is right there too. I'm just guessing Jojolion Killer Queen inherently has Stray Cat's abilities or something, or maybe that's what he planned

Boss Doggie

So I take it they did get the fruit since Holly is alive yet part of her brain is missing. But then one of the not-pillar men caught them and killed/buried them.

Weiss

Banned
I will fight you.

But congrats on finishing Part V. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Stone Ocean. Cause boy, does that one get crazy later on.

Well, the main villain's stand is the ability to pull CDs out of people's faces and Hermes is being accosted by a guy who keeps trying to kill her by repeatedly attempting suicide, so I hesitate to find out how it could get any nuttier.

Mista sucks. He's bad. Boo Mista. Booooo.

Squishy3

Well, the main villain's stand is the ability to pull CDs out of people's faces and Hermes is being accosted by a guy who keeps trying to kill her by repeatedly attempting suicide, so I hesitate to find out how it could get any nuttier.

Mista sucks. He's bad. Boo Mista. Booooo.
You haven't seen anything bizarre yet.

Weiss

Banned
Jolyne's Stand power is so cool. Araki is godlike at coming up with crazy powers and using them in really unexpected ways, and it's a huge improvement over the really typical power sets on display in Stardust Crusaders.

Just putting it out there that Jolyne is best jojo. Her sense of determination is an inspiration to us all.
Other than that, I'm pretty mixed on part six. The pacing was pretty bad till the punishment ward, the early stands were pretty disappointing, and so were the battles.
But that final act.....

Part five is dope though. Incredibly tense being on the run from assassins and some of the best stand battles. So Mista and Bruno

Weiss

Banned
So what's the deal with Stone Ocean, and apparently a lot of JoJo, being fully in colour? That tends not to happen.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So what's the deal with Stone Ocean, and apparently a lot of JoJo, being fully in colour? That tends not to happen.

Jojo is being gradually rereleased with full color volumes (rare, even for stuff as popular as JoJo).

Weiss

Banned
Well.

You'd think the English translations that took over 25 years to come out stateside would have those, but I guess not.

JoJo actually looks really great in colour. I'm reminded of checking out that Dragon Ball full colour release and finding how the colouring job, while nice and vibrant, detracted from the energy and movements of the fights.

It's weird to think how JoJo went so long and got so popular almost just as a manga, with all the supplementary material, games, and merch based on that alone. All the really big Shonen properties inevitably get turned into anime soon enough but it took JoJo 25 years to get one.

I like how Weather Report unintentionally almost kills the villain of Part 6 by dropping a bunch of frogs on him.

Isn't it great?

Also, totally agree about the color thing. I feel JoJo's one of the few manga series that benefits from being in color, if just for Araki's distinct taste for bold/outlandish color schemes. As far as the anime thing goes, there was an OVA series released in the early 90s. However, it only covered Stardust Crusaders and was missing a ton of content.

There's also that one Phantom Blood movie, but no one talks about it. Ever.

Not sure why it took until now to get a proper "full" adaptation, but better late than never. I guess.

You boo Mista now but one day you will learn to appreciate him and his totally not unfashionable tiger-stripe pants.

I prefer SBR uncoloured personally. The amazing shading feels if it was lost in the transition to colour.
Can't judge on Jojolion colour manga.

Part six definitely benefits from the colour though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom