• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
Haven't really heard it anywhere, but authors don't personally color their manga, they're too busy making the next chapter. And I doubt Araki had no official color in mind when making designs.

Astral

I prefer SBR uncoloured personally. The amazing shading feels if it was lost in the transition to colour.
Can't judge on Jojolion colour manga.

Part six definitely benefits from the colour though

Yeah I imagine his current art wouldn't look as impressive in color. I can't get enough of those close-ups.

Erigu

Haven't really heard it anywhere, but authors don't personally color their manga, they're too busy making the next chapter.
Right. It was the second part of your statement that I was wondering about:

And I doubt Araki had no official color in mind when making designs.
Well, I doubt he did, personally. Just looking at the covers and (his) color pages...

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I agree with Steel Ball Run being better in b/w. The color choices are honestly fine, but the shading got squashed in the process. It's really unfortunate.

Weiss

Banned
Annasui wearing a mesh with flip flops attached to it might be peak JoJo. I liked his original female design, though. Wish they stuck with that.

I'm liking Pucci's flashbacks with Dio a lot. Seeing the screaming, raging, steamroller dropping vampire calmly debate philosophy with some kid is a testament to Araki's handling of his villains. They do horrible shit, often with barely a lick of justification, but they feel human. They have their own forms of honor and foibles and flaws and it's nice to see a series devote so much time to personalizing their villains without turning them into woobirific overly tragic sad sacks. You understand where Dio comes from and what motivated him to perform his heinous acts, Kars loved his Pillar Men, Kira treats being a fetishistic serial murderer like he's an alcoholic who falls off the wagon sometimes and seemed to genuinely fall into the role of Kosaku Kawajiri, and Pucci is straight up motivated by love for Dio and a desire to see his dream fulfilled. They feel as real and developed as the protagonists, sometimes moreso in Dio's case.

except Diavolo because he sucks

Astral

Annasui wearing a mesh with flip flops attached to it might be peak JoJo. I liked his original female design, though. Wish they stuck with that.

I'm liking Pucci's flashbacks with Dio a lot. Seeing the screaming, raging, steamroller dropping vampire calmly debate philosophy with some kid is a testament to Araki's handling of his villains. They do horrible shit, often with barely a lick of justification, but they feel human. They have their own forms of honor and foibles and flaws and it's nice to see a series devote so much time to personalizing their villains without turning them into woobirific overly tragic sad sacks. You understand where Dio comes from and what motivated him to perform his heinous acts, Kars loved his Pillar Men, Kira treats being a fetishistic serial murderer like he's an alcoholic who falls off the wagon sometimes and seemed to genuinely fall into the role of Kosaku Kawajiri, and Pucci is straight up motivated by love for Dio and a desire to see his dream fulfilled. They feel as real and developed as the protagonists, sometimes moreso in Dio's case.

except Diavolo because he sucks

If you like Pucci now you'll love him later on. I have a very hard time picking him or Kira as my favorite JoJo villains. I have an extremely easy time picking my least favorite though. *cough*
Diavolo
*cough*

Weiss

Banned
If you like Pucci now you'll love him later on. I have a very hard time picking him or Kira as my favorite JoJo villains. I have an extremely easy time picking my least favorite though. *cough*
Diavolo
*cough*

Yeah I just got to the part with the Green Baby and the flashback where Dio tries to get Pucci to steal The World from him, and it sold so much about Dio's character.

That one panel, where he just admits that he couldn't see Pucci not betraying him, that he honestly couldn't believe that somebody would approach him and accept and love him for who he is, and that he was actually afraid of losing him, man, it's heavy for a dude whose establishing moment was kicking a dog in the face.

EDIT: Oh right, I forgot to mention the part that nearly made me cry bitch tears.

"Look at me, Jolyne. This is my spirit. This is my intellect. I was alive."

There are two jojo ps2 games, one covering phantom blood and another one covering vento aureo.

You mean the Vento Aureo one? I think it just followed Part V's plot with some extra fights tossed in the mix.
Oh okay. I wasn't sure since it was considered for localization and yet the manga still hasn't been. Of course, we got the Stardust Crusaders PS1 game well before the manga, and a couple years before the OVAs.

Weiss

Banned
The Bohemian Rhapsody chapters read like Araki though JoJo would be translated into English one day and decided to write the most copyright infringing thing he could muster.

EDIT: And now things have gotten all Junji Ito in here.

Weiss

Banned
Well, that's Stone Ocean, and the end of the original JoJo saga.

Kind of a bummer that the only female JoJo gets brutally killed before the final fight, but the plot twist of having the entire party massacred and everything left to tagalong kid Emporio, and the actual fight itself, was great. Still, not the highlight that was the last act of Stardust Crusaders, but then no Part since has matched it, even though this is a close second.

Diamond is Unbreakable is still my favourite, but Stone Ocean is a close second, trumping over Battle Tendency. It felt like a much more cohesive package than the other series, consistently doing a lot more correctly whereas the other Parts had areas they really excelled at as well as some pitfalls.

It probably has the best cast, even moreso than DiU, who are all weird likable jerks with cool powers and interesting personalities and play off of each other fantastically, but they also suffer the same problem Battle Tendency did where the supporting cast doesn't get to do too much. Hermes kind of got gradually phased out, Weather Report got one good showing, Annasui kinda just hung around, and Foo Fighters probably the best deal until she died. Fortunately Jolyne was a fantastic protagonist, probably my absolute favourite JoJo, between her personality and her extremely creative powerset, so I didn't mind quite as much.

Pucci was a fantastic villain, easily one of the nuanced villains in the entire franchise, and the enemy Stand users continued the trend of being more than just Villains of the Week,but the sons of Dio were lame as balls.

So the new universe shown at the end isn't the Steel Ball Run universe?

Astral

It is, but what you see is decades after the events of SBR.

Someone here told me it wasn't and I think they're right. I think if it were part of the universe Jolyne would show up somewhere in the family tree shown in Jojolion but she doesn't.

Weiss

Banned
Didn't she have the birthmark? Actually never mind. I guess she could be a bastard.

She did.

Plus, Eyes of Heaven seems to have the original verse and the SBR verse interact, with
an entirely new timeline created from the events based off of the original series.

I asked because wiping out 18 years of continuity, characters, suffering, highs and journeys seemed like kind of a bummer.

Someone here told me it wasn't and I think they're right. I think if it were part of the universe Jolyne would show up somewhere in the family tree shown in Jojolion but she doesn't.

Does everyone just keep forgetting about the branches that weren't there in the original universe and Jojolion is just not giving us any info on? It's not decisive evidence.

Nairume

Banned
I asked because wiping out 18 years of continuity, characters, suffering, highs and journeys seemed like kind of a bummer.
I feel like Araki walked that back years ago anyway, given he said that Josuke inherited one thing from Joseph that neither Jotaro or Jolyne got.

The power of living to old age :V

Lunar15

Yeah the end of Part 6 is a huge bummer. What a weird series of events.

Now you get to go on to Steel Ball Run, which is fucking amazing.

Weiss

Banned
I'm gonna take a bit of a break from JoJo, but I'll be back for it. Can't wait for the inevitable dread of catching up to everything and waiting an agonizing month for the adventures of the incredible four balled man.

Just promise me one thing about Steel Ball Run.

Promise me it gets super gay.

KarasuEXE

latest

I'm gonna take a bit of a break from JoJo, but I'll be back for it. Can't wait for the inevitable dread of catching up to everything and waiting an agonizing month for the adventures of the incredible four balled man.

It's about cowboys and their balls.

Universe at the end of Stone Ocean isn't the SBRverse imo. Of course, it could have been intended that way but the Joestar family tree in JoJolion shows no Jotaro, Jolyne or Giorno.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Steel Ball Run may or may not feature innuendos, such as
"I soiled your face with my meat spray" and "I only wanted to know the secret of your 'steel balls'..."

Steel Ball Run is gay as fuck. Like people joke about the rest of the series having homoerotic stuff and it does and theres stuff like Dio and Pucci and Dio and Vanilla Ice but SBR has even more.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Really though, I think SBR is the only part in which a character that is explicitly bisexual (instead of just being implied to be bi) is featured in the series, so there's that.

Weiss

Banned
Really though, I think SBR is the only part in which a character that is explicitly bisexual (instead of just being implied to be bi) is featured in the series, so there's that.

I always interpreted Joseph as bi, for some reason.

Other than that, Dio was confirmed as bisexual, and his relationship with Pucci doesn't need much to be read as explicitly romantic.

HAHAHAHA-I mean, you're in for a good time when you finally decide to jump into SBR.

Also glad you enjoyed Stone Ocean. It doesn't get the love it deserves. Anasui's "Fuck's sake! If there's no Mickey, this shit ain't Disney!" is probably my all time favorite line in the whole series.

Even though it's been over a year since I finished Steel Ball Run, I still don't know how I truly feel about it. Its highs are ridiculously high, but some portions definitely drag on for far too long.

Even though it's been over a year since I finished Steel Ball Run, I still don't know how I truly feel about it. Its highs are ridiculously high, but some portions definitely drag on for far too long.

besides the Pork Pie Hat Kid i think SBR is my favorite, Gyro and Johnny are awesome, and who can forget the amazingly named, D4C?

Ezalc

Best thing about SBR is that most stands aren't punch ghosts. Makes the fights a lot more creative and interesting.

Matsukaze

Best thing about SBR is that most stands aren't punch ghosts. Makes the fights a lot more creative and interesting.
Agreed. Chocolate Disco and Sugar Mountain's Spring in particular felt like ideas that Araki might have been sitting on for a while before finally breaking them out at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom