• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg, there's Jojo underwear? This I have to see.

pls tell me there's boxers with MENACING around the crotch area

Those aren't the only ones, either. I've seen some with the anime designs for part 2, and I've seen some part 4 ones featuring rather subtle designs based on harvest, killer queen, bad company, etc. I think those Araki exhibition ones are the best, though.

KingDirk

Man the structure for Jojolion is fantastic. So many potential big bads thwarted already, stands being used in interesting ways, motives being fairly banal, just love it.

Also love the ways Kira shows himself in Josuke8 every once in a while.

Man the structure for Jojolion is fantastic. So many potential big bads thwarted already, stands being used in interesting ways, motives being fairly banal, just love it.

Also love the ways Kira shows himself in Josuke8 every once in a while.

I love how the stuff with Damo went. Weird looking fat dude, oh no he can just kinda melt people? Oh god he's slicing Norisuke, oh shit he's fucking everyone up. And then he gets stabbed multiple times and then Josuke busts his head open in right in the middle of the fucking street.

10/10 one of the best fights in the series

KingDirk

I love how the stuff with Damo went. Weird looking fat dude, oh no he can just kinda melt people? Oh god he's slicing Norisuke, oh shit he's fucking everyone up. And then he gets stabbed multiple times and then Josuke busts his head open in right in the middle of the fucking street.

10/10 one of the best fights in the series

And then people are like "was that a statue?"

The payoff to all the mysteries probably won't be super satisfying but this ride has been amazing. Stands this arc have been great too, can't wait to see what madness will happen next. Wonder if the splendor of D4C will vs topped.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
JoJolion is kind of disturbing for me though---the weirdness of the plot, all the characters act suspicious (and Araki's current style makes it hard to tell exactly how characters are meant to feel since their faces tend to stay the same mostly), and how slow it develops. I think that's the point though.

JoJolion is kind of disturbing for me though---the weirdness of the plot, all the characters act suspicious (and Araki's current style makes it hard to tell exactly how characters are meant to feel since their faces tend to stay the same mostly), and how slow it develops. I think that's the point though.

I think it elicits the same kinds of feelings that Josuke himself probably feels. Everything is so foreign and untrustworthy (except Yasuho, who Josuke trusts and the reader trusts as well).

Squishy3

with the escalation of stand power between every part jojolion's endgame stand is gonna be nuts

especially when gappy activates bites the dust

Matsukaze

I'm still waiting for Mitsuba to show back up and reveal she has some bonkers strong Stand. I can just imagine - she has a super sweet, motherly personality on the surface and then her Stand has some really fucked-up power, like it can necrotize flesh or liquefy your organs or some shit. I can totally see Araki doing that.

Astral

To this day I think my favorite thing Josuke has done in Part 8 is during his fight against the Fun Fun Fun guy where where he tells sweet innocent Yasuho to look at something cool over there so that she doesn't watch stomp the shit out of the guy lol. He's been mostly serious since then though.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Gappy furiously nodding his head up and down when told to dig into his ice cream is still my favorite funny moment of his.

JoJolion has had some great lines too.

"Stands are like your asshole, you don't go showing it to everyone"
"The dick is extremely important!"

Both examples by Norisuke. Coincidence?

Hatty

The Part 5 retranslation just released eight new chapters five of which were King Crimson's introduction. It's amazing how much better this part is with a proper translation. What I once thought was nonsense actually makes sense now

Josuke8 and Yasuho interactions are probably my favorite parts of Jojolion.

~I like large fries, I like large fries, I like large fries, but not fried chicken. Not fried chicken, not fried chicken, I just want those crunchies. I like large fries~

The Part 5 retranslation just released eight new chapters five of which were King Crimson's introduction. It's amazing how much better this part is with a proper translation. What I once thought was nonsense actually makes sense now

13710688_588353127992659_6742438715380278473_o.png.jpg

latest

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, uh, I really like Eyes of Heaven. Having far more fun than with ASB and I like how there's progression to entice me to continue playing, plus the battle system after a bit has grown on me and is much smoother than J-Stars.

I wanna read this but I want Golden Wind to feel fresh when it airs next year (?).

Man, the new ep leaves out Josuke talking about how much his socks and shoes cost and his eyes bugging out when he drops them in the water. Oh well, it was still good.

Leezard

I got my knock-off Kira tie! It's the de l'Isle one.

The good parts:
The skull was actually sewn/embroidered, not printed. I expected printed based on the stock images and that it was a knock-off.
Quality seems good.
An extra skull that's shown in the first picture that was not showed in the preview images.
Seems to have good length, that is, it does not seem too short.

Bad part:
In the second image, you can see that the pattern is not properly centralized, the end on the left part of the tie and the end on the right part of the tie does not look the same.

cntr

Banned
A fun fact from the manga is that Star Platinum's durability stat goes from A to E from Parts 3 to 4.

He becomes canonically nerfed.
His stats are the same in Part 4.

The new stats come from Part 6, after he had his soul ripped out of him and spent a few months in a coma.

Of course his stands went to shit after that, but they didn't in part 4.

KingDirk

Guys I know it can't heal but is Paisley Park the best support stand? I loved when Josuke8 realized the GPS told him to go upward or when the gentleman stepped on a banana peel and didn't slip.

Matsukaze

Guys I know it can't heal but is Paisley Park the best support stand? I loved when Josuke8 realized the GPS told him to go upward or when the gentleman stepped on a banana peel and didn't slip.
Paisley Park is great. I think there's a lot more to that Stand than Araki has revealed and the fact that Yasuho herself barely understands her Stand makes it all the more interesting to me.

Articalys

About a month ago the guy who made the "History of Japan" video started making a bunch of weird short videos again.

One of them, as pointed out by somebody deep in the YouTube comments, coincidentally works as a partial reverse summary of Stone Ocean.

Paisley Park is great. I think there's a lot more to that Stand than Araki has revealed and the fact that Yasuho herself barely understands her Stand makes it all the more interesting to me.
I really like that song.

Speaking of which, how did Araki discover the musicians/acts he references? I'm American, and some of those I've never even heard of until Jojo. I know western music gets released in Japan too, but are there radio stations that play western music? Considering the catalogue that Araki seems to like, and that he wrote those before the Internet became commonplace, I'm kind of surprised.

I got my knock-off Kira tie! It's the de l'Isle one.

The good parts:
The skull was actually sewn/embroidered, not printed. I expected printed based on the stock images and that it was a knock-off.
Quality seems good.
An extra skull that's shown in the first picture that was not showed in the preview images.
Seems to have good length, that is, it does not seem too short.

Bad part:
In the second image, you can see that the pattern is not properly centralized, the end on the left part of the tie and the end on the right part of the tie does not look the same.
That's very cool, but good lord is that triggering my obsessive compulsive disorder.

cntr

Banned
He's a music nerd and ancient vampire. He knows a lot of bands.

He's ridiculous for the pre-internet era, too; he went on a cross-Asia journey to write Part 3.

I really like that song.

Speaking of which, how did Araki discover the musicians/acts he references? I'm American, and some of those I've never even heard of until Jojo. I know western music gets released in Japan too, but are there radio stations that play western music? Considering the catalogue that Araki seems to like, and that he wrote those before the Internet became commonplace, I'm kind of surprised.

It's very interesting, because some of his references are pretty deep cuts. He seems like the guy who would just go to the record store and just grab whatever, enticed by album titles, band names or just the covers, just anything that caught his eye, and ended up just loving it all.

Well, that probably explains the classic rock references, I don't even know what the hell Limp Bizkit and Marilyn Manson are doing in Part 6.

cntr

Banned
There are multiple heavy metal, rap, and pop references too, right up to Lady Gaga. There's even Aphex Twin in Part 8, wouldn't be surprised if we got more electronic stuff

translation: I REALLY WANT A DAFT PUNK STAND, ARAKIIIIIII

It's very interesting, because some of his references are pretty deep cuts. He seems like the guy who would just go to the record store and just grab whatever, enticed by album titles, band names or just the covers, just anything that caught his eye, and ended up just loving it all.

Well, that probably explains the classic rock references, I don't even know what the hell Limp Bizkit and Marilyn Manson are doing in Part 6.
I remember watching the part 6 reference video on YouTube and immediately thinking "Araki no" when I saw Flaccid Pancake.

I was surprised at the Outkast stuff in part 7, but I'm guessing he liked Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (and I dig it too, so good on him).

There are multiple heavy metal, rap, and pop references too, right up to Lady Gaga. There's even Aphex Twin in Part 8, wouldn't be surprised if we got more electronic stuff

translation: I REALLY WANT A DAFT PUNK STAND, ARAKIIIIIII
I just got to Spice Girl in p5.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I know western music gets released in Japan too, but are there radio stations that play western music?

Western music gets play on TV and radio, yeah.

Japan's been the second biggest music market in the world for decades now. And they're pretty into music in general, not just their own stuff.

He seems like the guy who would just go to the record store and just grab whatever, enticed by album titles, band names or just the covers, just anything that caught his eye, and ended up just loving it all.

For Araki in particular, this is probably the answer though lol.

For Araki in particular, this is probably the answer though lol.

I remember interviews with musicians (who I can't remember) that had them saying stuff about how they'd get their allowance when they were kids, and they'd go to the record store and just buy records, not even know anything about who they were purchasing, just buying music because they loved it.

Araki is that person, but instead of channeling into his own music, he created a bonkers body horror manga with vampires and killer rats.

cntr

Banned
I was thinking about the Highway Star and Enigma Boy battles

Is Yuuya the only villain who unambiguously changes their morality to become a good guy? Everybody else was either flesh budded (Kakyoin, Polnareff), didn't change much (Hazamada, Yukako), weren't actually villains (Shigechi, Tonio, RPS Kid), or were misguided (Foo Fighters).

I hate how much I've forgotten from Diamond and I read it only a few months ago. I didn't forget Yuya, but totally forgot about him saving Josuke in the Enigma fight. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom