• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm reading part 5 right now and don't want to be spoiled, so I probably won't read the thread much right now, but Doppio's phone call shit is killing me. It's hilarious

"Wow they make phones so small and durable now" as he picks up a wet cigarette lol

It's a shame that Doppio doesn't get more time to shine, his phone gimmick is great.

Actually kind of glad Joshuu is doing something other than being a butt monkey.

Maybe he'll finally become a likeable character.

Though I doubt it'll happen.

It's going to take alot to redeem Joshu after the Paper Moon arc.

It's not as bad as it could've been but it was still pretty bad.

Joshu has no redemption left, and I think Araki knows that well. So even when he wins and survives this battle, it will end with a bird shitting on his head, and the idol he's into coincidentally walks by and laughs at him.

Ezalc

It's how his calmness (not stoicness) works with the other characters; the old translation made them flat, so you don't get any interaction or humor. He's really fun as a straight man to the other characters, which breaks if they're boring too

I never understand this, admittedly I haven't read the new translation but in the old one Narancia was still the idiot, Bruno the mature big brother leader, Fugo was the quick to anger, Mista the guy with that weird quirk who's reliable, Abbachio the loner, and Giorno was just always there. He's always been the straight man, but still an awful protagonist regardless.

cntr

Banned
well if you read the new translation, you'd understand how garbage the old one was

Edit:

INttsmL.png
seriously.

cntr

Banned
It's a bad translation that can't even translate "Van Gogh". Would you expect it to convey personality and dialogue as intended?

Matsukaze

So, taking this one step further... what you're saying is that the new translation further cements the awesomeness of Sex Pistols? Music to my ears. :)

Matsukaze

At this point I'm pretty much convinced that people just don't want to like Giorno.

Jokes aside, I only rank Giorno so low in my books because I find most of the other JoJos that much more amazing than him (and because I think Bruno and Mista are the true champions of Part 5 :p ). As far as shonen/seinen protagonists in general go, Giorno is still cooler than about 80-90% of the other main characters running around.

I've mentioned it before, but I already have the suspicion that the anime is going to do wonders for Giorno (at least in my books), nevermind the actual new translations available.

Diavolo is probably still fucked, though. Anime/new translations or no, he's boxing with God if he thinks he can match the levels of Kira, DIO, Funny Valentine, and Pucci. :p

Tizoc

Hou guys and gals
Remember the start of ep 1 of jojo part 4 anime?
What if the breakfast was cooked by killer queen while using the hand?
You know cuz stands can only be seen by stand users and david pro ran with that for the scene?

cntr

Banned
The Japanese literally says "Van Gogh", "Gauguin", and "Michaelangelo". Not even obscured or anything, it's plainly transliterated into katakana. The paintings are in the background.

The Part 5 translator knew English, but didn't know Japanese -- he knew so little Japanese that he couldn't even read names written in them. That's where the "Buddhist monastery" comes from, he made things up to cover for his lack of knowledge.

It might not be as obvious as Duwang, but Part 5's translation is worse. And at least the Duwang guy tried.

KingDirk

I am so intrigued to see what the curse half of all this money Joshuu is getting manifests as. After the nightmare of melty everything last chapter will Araki go more conceptual? Will he find something even grosser? Man do I love this manga

Numb

Giorno is a calm down to earth weirdo

Compared to the other Jojos atleast

Freaked out alittle when he turned out to be a slim non-Fist of the north star looking jojo

- points there

Erigu

The Part 5 translator knew English, but didn't know Japanese -- he knew so little Japanese that he couldn't even read names written in them. That's where the "Buddhist monastery" comes from, he made things up to cover for his lack of knowledge.
I believe they were working from a Chinese translation. Because translating a translation is always a great idea, y'know.

Erigu

guess he was bad at chinese then
And/or the Chinese translator was bad at Japanese...
But it goes beyond just that anyway: some of that stuff (like the map posted above, or "it's spelled "Paris" in English, why can't they use French instead?") is obviously absurd, even if you don't understand Japanese or Chinese.

I do hope Part 5 is actually good. It would suck after years of folks telling me it's just a bad translation that I still come up disappointed in the end with a good one.

fertygo

i'd rather they jump to 6
or just straight to 7
Need to see that in motion

Screw that

I rate part 5 among least favorite, but I think its the best fit for animation

Part 5 with current DIU Production value would've absolutely bonker, JoJo is never as visceral as in Golden Wind

Numb

Screw that

I rate part 5 among least favorite, but I think its the best fit for animation

Part 5 with current DIU Production value would've absolutely bonker, JoJo is never as visceral as in Golden Wind

I just want part 7 anime as soon as possible

A weird thing I notice about Parts 4,5, and 6 is that Araki's layout becomes rather chaotic. He very very rarely uses any square panels, so it looks like things are always intense and moving.

From steel ball run onwards he returns to more stable, square panels.

Siegcram

Jojolion with Stone Ocean layout would be literally incomprehensible.

As for Part 5, give me the dance scene and White Album and I'm good.

Numb

As for Part 5, give me the dance scene and White Album and I'm good.
there
tumblr_mglc38lHgo1rkbj72o1_400.gif

it's actually rather shit when it's done in the game tho so it might be bad in anime
besides this manga version is sick

I know it had some of the most intense fights in the series, it's definitely the one thing I can remember. But I also remember not caring a whole for the characters, save for Bruno, which dialed back my enjoyment of those fights.

But it's been years since I re-read 5, so I'm hoping by then when the new translation is done, I can read it with all new mindset.

I want this to happen just to see how cluster fuck we can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom