• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except Dragon's Dream though because that arc sucks.

How do you follow up Viviano Westwood and Survivor/Planet Waves with that nonsense.

Dragon's Dream is awesome because the Stand is all like "I'm totally neutral so I'll just help everybody, I don't care btw let me explain how my power works"

JayEH

Dragon's dream is awesome because it just manifested by the user training really hard. I think that's the only time that's happened In the series.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I would put it more on the Jump audience not really getting Jojo at part 6, considering SBR made a shift too. the stuff they had in SBR and JoJoLion wouldn't be shown in Jump these days.

Well, let's say you just turns 11 and it's 1999/2000, and you start reading WSJ, you and all your friends are gonna be ALL about One Piece and Naruto, JoJo is probably that manga your older brother reads and it's got a girl talking about gross things right from the start???

Yeah, OP/Naruto's immense popularity and the shift in what readers wanted from WSJ and what WSJ wanted to start pushing probably left Stone Ocean behind.

cntr

Banned
Both Vento Aureo and Stone Ocean have increasingly "adult" plots you wouldn't expect from a 90s/00s shounen, like, how many 10 year old kids are going to care about stories like Abbacchio becoming a corrupt policeman? Or Jolyne's entire arc with Jotaro being a shitty dad?

Nowadays you could get away with something like that in a Jump series, but definitely not back then.

Both Vento Aureo and Stone Ocean have increasingly "adult" plots you wouldn't expect from a 90s/00s shounen, like, how many 10 year old kids are going to care about stories like Abbacchio becoming a corrupt policeman? Or Jolyne's entire arc with Jotaro being a shitty dad?

Nowadays you could get away with something like that in a Jump series, but definitely not back then.
Sounds like Part 6 tackles something Boruto couldn't even get right. Oh god...please tell me dolphin boy gets put on blast.

cntr

Banned
Joseph was a great dad to Holly and tried to be to Josuke. Therefore, Jotaro was absolute shit trying to be Jolyne's dad.

If you read that theory about Jotaro being an antisocial introvert in the Part 4 anime thread, the way he deals with Jolyne is the most convincing evidence for that being true.

Honestly the emergence of mega hits like One Piece and Naruto were naturally going to swallow the almost two decade old cult series. I feel Araki knew this and it's why Part 6 is the "end" so to speak.

Joseph was a great dad to Holly and tried to be to Josuke. Therefore, Jotaro was absolute shit trying to be Jolyne's dad.

If you read that theory about Jotaro being an antisocial introvert in the Part 4 anime thread, the way he deals with Jolyne is the most convincing evidence for that being true.
I can totally buy Jotaro having asperger's or having some sort of social autism. He's definitely the least social Jojo I've seen so far, even as a grown up. He just seems to drive around and handles the needed random task. Only really seems to deal with Josuke when he needs to deal with Josuke, he's never just hanging around the kid taking him out for pizza or anything. But hey fuck it "Josuke, there are these fucking rats with stand powers, suit up and let's hunt these fucking things." Jotaro probably doesn't even know who Koichi is.
I always wonder what the fuck Jolyne's mom was like that Jotaro married her
Probably spoke to Jotaro using dolphin clicks.

cntr

Banned
Classic no half measures Araki. OBVIOUSLY the series couldn't just end, it had to be wiped from existence.
I always liked how Part 7 and D4C
retroactively establishes Made in Heaven created the multiverse, and Valentine talks about fucking gravity in the finale. Incredible callback.

I always wonder what the fuck Jolyne's mom was like that Jotaro married her

Her complete absence from the part was always kind of weird to me because according to Jolyne they were close. When I first read it I thought she would come in later and get a stand because of the whole large female cast thing but it never came to be.

cntr

Banned
To be honest I can totally understand why Araki would do that, like, could you write a character and make it believable that Jotaro would choose to marry
then divorce
them? And have them plausibly be Jolyne's mom?

Who'd be able to write a character like that and not have them derail the entire part from her sheer bizarreness?

JayEH

At least Jotaro is not a cheater.

Jotaro's mind was probably just blown at the fact that he had physical contact and sex with another human being and due to being immensely awkward socially he just looked to divorce instead of trying to emotionally process it. I'm pretty sure the speedwagon foundation has good divorce attorneys on hand.

cntr

Banned
One of the weird things about Part 6: Anasui shows up as a girl in a foreshadowing panel, but he's a guy later on.

I've sometimes wondered whether Araki wanted to write Anasui as a woman obsessing over Jolyne like the final version of Anasui, but was forced to make the character male by editor fiat.

D-Man

One of the weird things about Part 6: Anasui shows up as a girl in a foreshadowing panel, but he's a guy later on.

I've sometimes wondered whether Araki wanted to write Anasui as a woman obsessing over Jolyne like the final version of Anasui, but was forced to make the character male by editor fiat.

Didn't he change Anasui cause he thought there weren't enough dudes in the main cast? Not sure if this is true, but I recall reading that somewhere.

If we look at Jotaro's character it's not the most implausible thing.

Jotaro gets lonely, hitches up with some quiet, more reserved woman and finds himself unable to connect with her emotionally.

You just KNOW Jotaro showed up to his wedding in a tuxedo version of his outfit, "Yare Yare Daze"ing through the vows

Sounds like Part 6 tackles something Boruto couldn't even get right. Oh god...please tell me dolphin boy gets put on blast.

Oh yeah he gets torn a new asshole about it.

One of the little character info pages mentions Jotaro doesn't outwardly show emotions because he figures everyone can tell how he feels just by looking at him, which is the most "has dealt with Joseph Joestar from a young age" type thing I can think of. Like, can you imagine having Joseph as your grandpa, with Holly as your mother, who was raised by Joseph? Yikes. That and being based on stoic cowboy characters.

Also his favorite movie is Never Cry Wolf from 1983, which is about a biologist studying caribou and wolves.

cntr

Banned
I wonder if Polnareff was his best man. I can't imagine Jotaro had a vast list of people to choose from.
I've always liked the idea that Josuke was a total big bro to kid Jolyne.

I wonder how much Jotaro and Josuke had to help with bringing up Shizuka, and if Jolyne met her regularly or something.

I wonder if Polnareff was his best man. I can't imagine Jotaro had a vast list of people to choose from.
Dude's best man was probably ushered in in either a fish bowl or some sort of aquatic tank.
Yeah, maybe.

Joseph being a shit husband makes sense when he married Suzi Q on a whim.

Plus Jonathan/Erina was all about that fated true love, so it makes sense Joseph would do the opposite.
"Dad died having sex with only one woman? I'm not making that mistake. Your next line will be 'Joseph stay loyal to your wife."
Suzie Q: "Joseph stay loyal to your wife."
Narrator: "While Suzie Q says this Joseph is in the process of hopping out of the hotel window and didn't hear a thing Suzie Q said."

cntr

Banned
Too bad Part 5 happened after Jotaro got married, trying to bring Polnareff in as a mafioso turtle would've been hilarious.
(big Vento Aureo spoilers)

Also I know it's because Araki just hadn't written it out yet so she didn't "exist" when writing DiU, but it's still kinda sad to think that Jolyne is like 4 years old during DiU and Jotaro is off hunting Stand users with his uncle Josuke and working on his thesis instead of being with her :(

Also I know it's because Araki just hadn't written it out yet so she didn't "exist" when writing DiU, but it's still kinda sad to think that Jolyne is like 4 years old during DiU and Jotaro is off hunting Stand users with his uncle Josuke and working on his thesis instead of being with her :(

Well there is that rather adorable "Little Jolyne visits Morioh" fancomic to make up for it for me.

JayEH

once you go half way around the world to save your mom and most of the only friends you had die in the process you won't be the most social person in the world and the only way to probably deal with that for him is to just take over all Joestar family matters. He could have maybe felt that leaving Jolyne and his ex alone would be better than possibly putting them in danger. He just fell for that classic "I'm doing all this shit to protect you" father approach instead of doing the right thing.

cntr

Banned
speaking of Part 3 and Jotaro's friends

in retrospect, I appreciate that Araki gave a reason for Kakyoin going on this ridiculous journey with people he'd known for less than a day: Kakyoin didn't deal well with having a crazy tentacle monster that nobody else could see, so he jumped at the chance to go on a journey with people who could see and were totally okay with Hierophant Green

speaking of Part 3 and Jotaro's friends

in retrospect, I appreciate that Araki gave a reason for Kakyoin going on this ridiculous journey with people he'd known for less than a day: Kakyoin didn't deal well with having a crazy tentacle monster that nobody else could see, so he jumped at the chance to go on a journey with people who could see and were totally okay with Hierophant Green

I think he just wanted to hook up with Holly, but couldn't do that until her stand wasn't killing her.

once you go half way around the world to save your mom and most of the only friends you had die in the process you won't be the most social person in the world and the only way to probably deal with that for him is to just take over all Joestar family matters. He could have maybe felt that leaving Jolyne and his ex alone would be better than possibly putting them in danger. He just fell for that classic "I'm doing all this shit to protect you" father approach instead of doing the right thing.
Jotaro seemed a bit off before that even happened though, running around calling his mom a bitch and what not.

Pretty sure that was a front that she totally saw through. Dude loves his mom, he just doesn't want anyone to know it.
This is true, I just think he's trying too hard. I guess I just like the Yusuke Urameshi balance...then again Togashi turned that shit on its ear by giving Yusuke a horrible mom. Holly is top tier though.

JayEH

Yeah he was a mamma's boy and did seem anti social even before the events occur but after everything that happens in SC it's no surprise that he would become even colder after that.

cntr

Banned
8a2.jpg

found it

cntr

Banned
It wasn't, but I'll never understand how Araki intended it to be anything but Jojo.

It's Jojo right from the start.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It wasn't, but I'll never understand how Araki intended it to be anything but Jojo.

It's Jojo right from the start.

that's why quotations :p

Yeah it's really suspicious, like it was more of a "testing waters but definitely is Jojo" deal, so denying it originally was weird

So I saw someone point out that there's crop circles outside the window during the Ending where it shows Shigechi in the school hallway. And yeah, there is and they're definitely the right shape.

Sasuga davidpro

Siegcram

So I saw someone point out that there's crop circles outside the window during the Ending where it shows Shigechi in the school hallway. And yeah, there is and they're definitely the right shape.

Sasuga davidpro
Yeah, I saw that too. They're on some next level shit.

cntr

Banned
that's why quotations :p

Yeah it's really suspicious, like it was more of a "testing waters but definitely is Jojo" deal, so denying it originally was weird
I think Araki just ended up making it so Jojo that he went "eh, why not".

I mean, it's not like a Sherlock Holmes-esque situation where an author has to limit themselves to their single popular franchise, Jojo's premise and nature lets Araki do anything he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom