• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nottle

Jolyne is top tier Jojo. Joseph edges it out and maybe Josuke. Joseph has the advantage of showing up for more than one part.

Personally I like stands that seem sort of crappy but the user makes it useful. Like compared to Giorno's it sucks but ultimately it did more interesting things imo.

Matsukaze

Speaking of Kira, there's a theory that they never find Shizuka's mom because she was killed by Kira at some point.

Which is really fucked up, but makes sense.
How did this never cross my mind? That makes a lot of sense.

Personally I like stands that seem sort of crappy but the user makes it useful. Like compared to Giorno's it sucks but ultimately it did more interesting things imo.
I cannot wait for the show crowd to meet Gold Experience. A Stand with batshit powers that also clings suggestively to its Stand User = Fun times in animated form.

cntr

Banned
I'm pretty sure Episode 1 of Vento Aureo will end on Jotaro telling Koichi that Giorno is Dio's son, and the reactions to that'll be amazing.

The idea that Dio had children and that he's the new Jojo is crazy, the idea that Giorno is genetically Jonathan's son is even crazier, and that makes 15-year old Giorno Jotaro's great-great-granduncle is batshit insane.

JayEH

Joseph is alright, but the fans are pretty obnoxious.

I agree. He's my 3rd favorite Jojo but once I see all the whining about Joseph not being in the anime enough I start to reconsider. Odd thing for me to do but yeah.

I'm pretty sure Episode 1 of Vento Aureo will end on Jotaro telling Koichi that Giorno is Dio's son, and the reactions to that'll be amazing.

The idea that Dio had children and that he's the new Jojo is crazy, the idea that Giorno is genetically Jonathan's son is even crazier, and that makes 15-year old Giorno Jotaro's great-great-granduncle is batshit insane.

Assuming they aren't spoiled with trailers and such. Though I guess many anime viewers didn't know Josuke was Jospeh's son.

cntr

Banned
Araki injects realism more often than you'd think, it's kind of strange.

Joseph becoming old and senile is what happens when you become as old as him. Cheating on his wife and being regretful about not being there for a son he never knew about is really realistic too.

And then there's Jolyne's story with her dad Jotaro, the hero of a previous part, divorcing her mom and being too awkward to be a dad to her.

Despite all the Vampire and Stand bullshit that goes on, that's all extremely mundane and real-life. It's a weird combination, and people don't expect it to happen with a straight shounen protagonist like Joseph.

Araki injects realism more often than you'd think, it's kind of strange.

Joseph becoming old and senile is what happens when you become as old as him. Cheating on his wife and being regretful about not being there for a son he never knew about is really realistic too.

And then there's Jolyne's story with her dad Jotaro, the hero of a previous part, divorcing her mom and being too awkward to be a dad to her.

Despite all the Vampire and Stand bullshit that goes on, that's all extremely mundane and real-life. It's a weird combination, and people don't expect it to happen with a straight shounen protagonist like Joseph.
It is interesting how he works in the mature elements of life into this whacky shounen series. Also helps that he doesn't seem to really push them aside.

There's an interview/note from Araki about how he designed Joseph in Part 2 to be a "typical Shonen Jump protagonist", which is interesting because he turns that on its head in 3 and 4 by showing that Joseph isn't one anymore.

This was disappointing to read
sh22zod.jpg

M1x8z5S.jpg

Erigu

That's probably a bad translation.
Not really. In Japanese, Jolyne says she looks like an "okama" (although I think Urban Dictionary is being quite charitable, there... "not always considered insulting, and drag performers will sometimes even use it in reference to themselves"... yeah, a bit like "nigger" *cough*).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
That's probably a bad translation.

Not really. In Japanese, Jolyne says she looks like an "okama" (although I think Urban Dictionary is being quite charitable, there... "not always considered insulting, and drag performers will sometimes even use it in reference to themselves"... yeah, a bit like "nigger" *cough*).
Queer is definitely the best translation in this case. Okama is a catch all term for anyone that is LGBT (gay, crossdresser, transvestite, etc) and Jolyne is trying to use it as an insult.

Thud

Reads more like 'you can't throw for shit and we need an insult for it' . l wouldn't put too much attention towards it.

Although how that arm just bends lol.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I mean these are prisoners after all, I don't think them using insults is necessarily Araki approving of what they're saying.

Weiss

Banned
It's being used as an insult, specifically, because Araki thinks it would be insulting.

I know it sucks to admit that things we like can sometimes be gross, but them's the breaks.

Matsukaze

We're talking about Araki, the man who has made a living drawing men whose appearance and mannerisms challenge the expected social norms of masculinity. There's an almost 0% chance that Araki actually sympathizes with homophobic sentiments.

It's an ugly word, but Araki's probably not using it because he likes insulting the gay community. He's using it because he needs an insult and he thinks a vulgar-mouthed American would likely use it.

We're talking about Araki, the man who has made a living drawing men whose appearance and mannerisms challenge the expected social norms of masculinity. There's an almost 0% chance that Araki actually sympathizes with homophobic sentiments.

It's an ugly word, but Araki's probably not using it because he likes insulting the gay community. He's using it because he needs an insult and he thinks a vulgar-mouthed American would likely use it.
It's like saying Araki is a Nazi sympathizer because he created Stroheim.

JayEH

The entire part is fulling of cursing in general. They're in prison, it's full of vulgar people. There's nothing else to read into.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Araki doesn't really care for political correctness (LIKE TRUMP????) but in the case of Jolyne it kind of actually works because Jotaro is a shit father and she got mixed up in some bad shit so this is a not inappropriate attitude to have.

Weiss

Banned
Araki also had one of two of the explicitly bisexual character in the series cheat on her husband by trying to seduce a 14-year old.

Araki is also the one who brought Avdol literally back from the dead because people were crying about it just to kill him again later in a more anticlimatic way just to troll people

He writes how he wants, and no one
except editors
can tell him otherwise

Araki is also the one who brought Avdol literally back from the dead because people were crying about it just to kill him again later in a more anticlimatic way just to troll people

except editors
can tell him otherwise

Speaking of Avdol, I just started reading part 7 and I like how he added Camel Rider Avdol and then had him job to Gyro in a very anticlimactic way during the first stretch of the race. Dude was hyped up as the hottest thing this side of the Nile and then he crashes into some cacti lol.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well, don't get me wrong LGBT-slurs popping up in manga do make me cringe a bit but there's sort of a twist here since usually the queer slur is aimed at men, and seeing women use it as an insult feels a bit odd honestly. Like they're teasing one another as opposed to it being a serious insult like a lot of hetero-men will take it.

Weiss

Banned
Daaang, watching DiU as an anime ups the crazy factor tenfold.

I love the pop art style going on. It's so great. It's all so ridiculously cool looking and stylish all the time.

I can't wait for Vento Aureo and Stone Ocean. Wonder if they'll do Steel Ball Run or stop at Part 6.

Squishy3

I think they'll do Steel Ball Run but they'll completely need to change the way it's adapted since even before it got put into Ultra Jump the chapters were already significantly longer than previous parts.

I think the hour long OVA style could work, but we'd be waiting years for it to finish.

Steel Ball Run would be a massive production.

The OVA market is a little dubious. If David could handle it I wonder if a film series would work (although Jojo doesn't do well "compressed" in my opinion.)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

except editors
can tell him otherwise

I think he even screwed with editors once.

Squishy3

I just don't see how it could possibly be run as a television anime. With the rate they've currently been adapting at, the first chapter would need to be 2 episodes. :lol

Ezalc

Not getting to see Part 7 animated would be a travesty after the fact that they've started already. Especially since I really need to see Gyro animated telling an asshole to fall off his horse. And the best president of the United States of America.

Thud

DavidPro have to step up their game if they want to do SBR. That needs a bigger production with a partner studio perhaps. However that's years from now. We still have about half of Part 4 to look forward to, then the wait for Part 5 begins.

Not getting to see Part 7 animated would be a travesty after the fact that they've started already. Especially since I really need to see Gyro animated telling an asshole to fall off his horse. And the best president of the United States of America.

Everyone needs to know about winter catfish guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom