• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

tumblr_obimtdD52Q1u2xjodo1_1280.jpg

cntr

Banned
David Pro is probably betting on animation technology getting better by the time Stone Ocean is finished. The better tech of today is how they're getting away with such good animation anyway.

Why did I think post reboot Jojo was toned down Jojo? Even though that sailor dude seems a bit whacky.
There's a stand user in Part 7 whose power is to remove words from sentences describing the actions Gyro and Johnny take.

Squishy3

David Pro is probably betting on animation technology getting better by the time Stone Ocean is finished. The better tech of today is how they're getting away with such good animation anyway.

There's a stand user in Part 7 whose power is to remove words from sentences describing the actions Gyro and Johnny take.
Hell, there's variants on Stands that are even more powerful than their previous counterparts!

If you don't care about relatively recent Jojolion spoilers, mouse over this:

MULTIPLE SHEER HEART ATTACKS AND HE STILL LOSES

I'm doing a reread of Stone Ocean and I just got to the Bohemian Rhapsody chapters again. Even on a reread after fully catching up this is still the height of "what the fuck am I reading" in Jojo.

I'm doing a reread of Stone Ocean and I just got to the Bohemian Rhapsody chapters again. Even on a reread after fully catching up this is still the height of "what the fuck am I reading" in Jojo.

I had to reread that whole thing with Made in Heaven a few times because I could barely understand what was happening the first time.

Then triple that pain around the entire Requiem sequence in part 5.

JayEH

There was a point in stone ocean where I decided I knew I wasn't going to understand anything and I just power read through a good chunk of it till the end.

That really sounds like the YYH taboo word fight goes full circle.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, I hope they get to animate horse-riding in Part 6 well. The coliseum match in 2, while great, had iffy horse moments.

CGI WHAM

Leezard

Stone Ocean probably has the weirdest ones, yeah.

Part 7 has quite some weird ones, like that stand where the user has a grid and inputs coordinates into his arm/stand to manipulate that grid.

Nottle

I was thinking stone ocean as well, Manhattan Transfer is really the only boring one to me.

All the others you have to get a few sentences of explanation to understand which is something I like about Stands, I want to be like WHAT IS GOING ON RIGHT NOW? Dio's kids have such amazing stands. Can't wait to see what they get away with for Undetworld and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Also It may be because of the name but Limp Bizkit stands out to me because it's so dumb but also plot relevant.

cntr

Banned
I like how Stone Ocean and Steel Ball Run began tying minor antagonists into the structure of the plot, like Limp Bizkit, Jail House Lock, Mandom, and Civil War.

Nottle

I like how Stone Ocean and Steel Ball Run began tying minor antagonists into the structure of the plot, like Limp Bizkit, Jail House Lock, Mandom, and Civil War.
Part 4 also did this pretty well in my opinion most things introduced have some sort of payoff later. Especially in this second half where they set up Kira going to get his laundry done and the bit with Aya. It also helps that a quarter of the antagonists become good guys.

We also had a few characters in part 3 like J Geil, Enya, and Hol Horse that were more than just jobbers and had reason to be there. Part 5, everyone was a Jobber.

INVISIBLE

ZOMBIE

ALLIGATORS
Ok what always irks me about that is that they are invisible zombies as seen with Sports Maxx, his body turns invisible, but the taxidermy animals don't turn invisible, it's more like a ghost coming out of its taxidermy body that acts like a zombie.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Stone Ocean has the strangest stands no contest, but Jojolion has been pretty wild too. It's certainly the second weirdest, even unfinished.

The thing with the Vento Aureo villians is that they're all sort of connected with each other, because it's a group. So sometimes you'll see them in direct contact with each other or in pairs like Squalo/Tizano and Pesci/Prosciutto. I don't think there's a joke stand in the whole part.

D-Man

Stone Ocean is weird as hell but that's why it's so great. Everything from after the gang escapes prison to the very end is pure madness and I'm dying to see it all animated.

Subliminal messaging turning everyone into snails is still one of the craziest Stand abilities ever, imo.

I have a question. What is the strangest stand? Also what part has the overall strangest powers?

It really is no contest for Stone Ocean. I mean, Heavy Weather and Bohemian Rhapsody alone are enough but let's not forget

-Sentient colony of plankton that can posess corpses, shoot parts of itself as a bullet, and somehow manages to be the party's healer.
-Limp Biskit Flaccid Pancake and its invisible flesh eating zombies.
-A dragon that literally points out feng shui that might as well make you invincible in battle if you follow its directions
-Summoning ghosts from the memory of the earth to attack
-White Snake's never again used or mentioned ability to cause hallucinations while literally digesting you
-Green Baby's ability to infinitely shrink you
-Sky High

And I am probably forgetting more

Nottle

I remember YOYO MA really bothering me when I first saw him just hanging out with Jolyne and Anasui. Didn't help that I read all of his lines like a cross between the Jackoffasaurs from South Park and uncle Reemus. This weird acidic moss monster in overalls just hanging around and its an automatic stand.

And don't forget Planet Waves. Let me just randomly summon meteor every couple of minutes.

The thing with the Vento Aureo villians is that they're all sort of connected with each other, because it's a group. So sometimes you'll see them in direct contact with each other or in pairs like Squalo/Tizano and Pesci/Prosciutto. I don't think there's a joke stand in the whole part.
I'd consider Pesci's beach boy to be a joke stand that through his clever use manages to almost win and actually be really good. That is something I liked in part 5, lots of cool team ups.

cntr

Banned
Stand discs are taken from people who developed them, from the arrow or naturally. Most people in SO don't have their natural stands, they were given stands Pucci deemed appropriate.

It's never said whether a disc stand user needs potential or not, but Whitesnake can probably ignore that. Foo Fighters was created by Whitesnake merging multiple stands into one, so it shits on normal stand rules.

Nottle

Basically Pucci's white snake is broken as fuck.

Also despite a person not allowed to posses more than one stand he seems to have at least 2 other non white snake/cmoon/ Made In Heaven stand powers, he shouldn't be allowed to use the sleepy sticky white stuff or that other thing he did in the marsh (forgot what it was)

Can I just say I really wish Yukako was a more prominent character in part 4 than "I love Koichi, Koichi loves me now so I'm satisfied"

I was really hoping Araki would do something more with her when I read part 4 :( Hope the anime folks don't get too disappointed about that.

Stand discs are taken from people who developed them, from the arrow or naturally. Most people in SO don't have their natural stands, they were given stands Pucci deemed appropriate.

It's never said whether a disc stand user needs potential or not, but Whitesnake can probably ignore that. Foo Fighters was created by Whitesnake merging multiple stands into one, so it shits on normal stand rules.
markey_mark_wtf1.gif

I can already tell this won't make sense even with the proper context.

Matsukaze

Can I just say I really wish Yukako was a more prominent character in part 4 than "I love Koichi, Koichi loves me now so I'm satisfied"

I was really hoping Araki would do something more with her when I read part 4 :( Hope the anime folks don't get too disappointed about that.
I think most people wish Yukako could have played a larger role. I think there was plenty of untapped potential for her to be a more important character.

I hope DavidPro at least gives her some little scenes in the future to at least remind folks she didn't just vanish. I don't expect much, but even little glimpses would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom