• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mi8i85LzKV1qdjrseo1_400.jpg
tumblr_mi8i85LzKV1qdjrseo2_400.jpg

tumblr_mi8i85LzKV1qdjrseo3_400.png
tumblr_mi8i85LzKV1qdjrseo4_400.jpg

tumblr_mi8i85LzKV1qdjrseo5_400.jpghttp:
tumblr_mi8i85LzKV1qdjrseo5_400.jpg
tumblr_mi8i85LzKV1qdjrseo6_400.jpg

Tizoc

Just read JoJoLion 23-
so the boy's stand ability is like Tubular Bells from Part 7, only his Origamis

Loam

So in light of the new JoJo game that was released I recently got back into reading the series (only completed the first three arcs) and I'm a little confused on something I'm hoping you guys can clear up. Whats the relation between stands and tarot cards in the third arc? Each stand is tied to one during this point in the story yet since the start of the fourth arc its never brought up again (granted I'm only about halfway through this part). Not to mention I'm pretty sure Abdul says something about how they have X amount of enemies left to fight based on the number of cards at one point or another.

Do they ever touch on this? Is it just a "Because why not" type of thing?

Also as a side note how are you guys coming across this fabulous fan art.

jgminto

I just burned through the manga from Stardust Crusaders to Jojolion over the past couple months. What an amazing ride. And now I have to wait. Waiting for Jojo just feels so...wrong. I shall now do my super official rankings:

SERIES
Stardust Crusaders = Diamond is Unbreakable > Steel Ball Run > Vento Aureo = Stone Ocean > Battle Tendency > Phantom Blood

JOJO
Joseph (inc. Old) > Johnny > Jolyne > Josuke > Jotaro > Giorno > Jonathan

VILLAIN
Valentine (Dojyaaaan~) > Kira > Dio > Diavolo > Pucci > Kars

NO.1 BRO
Everyone in Stardust Crusaders (can't choose between bros) > Gyro > Speedwagon > Okuyasu > Hermes > Bruno > Caesar

Jojolion has been REALLY good too. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Card Boy

Banned
If you are having Jojos withdrawals do what im currently doing, read Fist of the North Star. I know Johnathan is based on Ken and the Hokuto Shinken reminds me of the Ripple. The art style is even very similar to Jojos. It's basically Jojos without supernatural stuff and Stands.

Its sogood.gif

Then after i finish North Star then i will move onto Fist of the Blue Sky.

Card Boy

Banned
Isn't Fist of the North Star more serious? I love the silliness and absurdity of Jojo. I'll look into it though.

Its serious in the same way Jojos is. There are some absurd villains and the fights are over the top like Jojos.

Also this should remind you of Jojos, it influenced it after all.

tumblr_mezn610V701rdsiguo1_500.gif

fotns-atatatatata.gif

15224-fist_of_the_north_star_BITCHES.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Isn't Fist of the North Star more serious? I love the silliness and absurdity of Jojo. I'll look into it though.

Depends on "serious". Dramatic yes, but not serious. Instead of being fabulous they're focusing more on manly tears and being shirtless.

Tizoc

Depends on "serious". Dramatic yes, but not serious. Instead of being fabulous they're focusing more on manly tears and being shirtless.

HnK hasn't aged well IMO, it's a fun series but that's it. You watch it for the same reason as DBZ; for fun.

Fist of the North Star is a lot like part 1 (and part 2, to a lesser extent) in tone, but less absurd and better-executed (although it's still a little hokey). I watched FotNS before I got into Jojo, and it kind of kept me from liking part 1 the first time I read it, since it's pretty much just a goofy FotNS clone.

Tizoc

Fist of the North Star is a lot like part 1 (and part 2, to a lesser extent) in tone, but less absurd and better-executed (although it's still a little hokey). I watched FotNS before I got into Jojo, and it kind of kept me from liking part 1 the first time I read it, since it's pretty much just a goofy FotNS clone.

HnK just kept repeating the same pattern for every arc @_@

Tizoc

Woah...I'm re-reading part 3, mainly from the beggining of the Egypt arc. I find it funny how the gang freak out upon learning Dio has more allies who may have Stands, with their reasoning against that is that all the Cards in the Tarot Arcana have already been used up.
One can tell Araki was making it all up as he went along too.

Boss Doggie

HnK hasn't aged well IMO, it's a fun series but that's it. You watch it for the same reason as DBZ; for fun.
HnK just kept repeating the same pattern for every arc @_@

Ah well you seem to be initiated with the anime only. In the manga it doesn't get redundant because there's no filler. You don't get stuff like Kenshiro blowing the heads of the thug of the day.

While you wouldn't cry on the characters, you'd definitely feel for them.

Card Boy

Banned
Fist of the North Star manga people, manga is where its at! You guys and gals will love it if you where into Phantom Blood.

Johnathan is in it!

The-Fist-of-the-North-Star-Game-Has-Been-Confirmed-2.jpg

Tizoc

Ah well you seem to be initiated with the anime only. In the manga it doesn't get redundant because there's no filler. You don't get stuff like Kenshiro blowing the heads of the thug of the day.

While you wouldn't cry on the characters, you'd definitely feel for them.

I have read the manga, in fact I reread it more than twice and have only seen snippets of the anime, and the formula for the manga was always the same:
Ken goes to some random area, finds assholes who he beats up, meets the big bad, beats up more stupid assholes, bad guy is defeated.
I'll admit I do feel for the characters, but I still think it's hilarious that Rei needed to be killed off because he was more popular than Ken, though all things considered, Rei had more characterization to him then Ken.

Card Boy

Banned
Ken goes to some random area, finds assholes who he beats up, meets the big bad, beats up more stupid assholes, bad guy is defeated.

To be fair this happens all the way through Jojos Parts 3 to 6. Part 3 was the most predictable. Jojo and the gang go to some random area, find a asshole stand user and beat them up.

Boss Doggie

I have read the manga, in fact I reread it more than twice and have only seen snippets of the anime, and the formula for the manga was always the same:
I'll admit I do feel for the characters, but I still think it's hilarious that Rei needed to be killed off because he was more popular than Ken, though all things considered, Rei had more characterization to him then Ken.

That was the reason for killing Rei? But then he had an amazing send-off.

And eh, it varies from arc to arc honestly. Hell, his Shin fight is different from his Souther fight.

Tizoc

To be fair this happens all the way through Jojos Parts 3 to 6. Part 3 was the most predictable. Jojo and the gang go to some random area, find a asshole stand user and beat them up.

True, but what makes JoJo stand out is the Bizarre and crazy nature of the encounter, each encounter is different to the one before or after. For example, I was reading the N'doul/N'dour encounter from Part 3 and that was very suspensful and still good. Afterwards you had the comedic Oinbo Boingo encounter, and so on.
Yes they go by a 'monster of the week' trope, but each one is differnet and manages to stand out.

Tizoc

OK hold up, I'm re-reading the Sheer Heart Attack story from Part 4 (Koichi learning of Kira's identity), and how the heck did Kira know about Josuke, Yukako, Okuyasu and the Cinderella Saloon? How did he even know what the Cinderella stand does?

Erigu

OK hold up, I'm re-reading the Sheer Heart Attack story from Part 4 (Koichi learning of Kira's identity), and how the heck did Kira know about Josuke, Yukako, Okuyasu and the Cinderella Saloon? How did he even know what the Cinderella stand does?
His father, maybe?

Loam

So I've finished reading through the re-scans of part four and I'm a few pages into my very first "duwang".

...I'm not sure I can do this.

Tizoc

@Ippalazzo-
Unless he started doing this after his encounter with Fatty, the manga itself seems to state that he's not encountered any other Stand users until Fatty.

I wanted to edit my post but what I really meant was: How did his father know about the other Stand users? For all we know, he remained in the house since his death.

Well, the way I can see to fill that plothole is that Kira very likely heard about the rumors of the Cinderella Saloon, and after meeting the other characters he figured that the place had a stand user with an ability that could help his situation.

Boss Doggie

For peace of my mind I'd like to imagine Kira
forever tormented in that dimension of hell/limbo, and not "reincarnated"

Actually, I just reread it and it sounded to me more like that after the Shigechi incident he started keeping tabs himself on Josuke and Okuyasu just in case, which extended to their acquaintances which would be Koichi and pretty much every other stand user in town known at that point. With his paranoia this definitely seems feasable to me.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just finished the anime series, and... wow. It's like Fist of the North Star meets the circus. You could have called Battle Tendency "JoJo vs. The Dubstep Mayan Vampire Gods" and it would have been 100% accurate.

I just started reading part 3 and it's even crazier. The stands are a much cooler concept than the ripple (in my opinion) and there is a cigarette smoking monkey stand user. I think I've fallen in love with this series.

Tizoc

Actually, I just reread it and it sounded to me more like that after the Shigechi incident he started keeping tabs himself on Josuke and Okuyasu just in case, which extended to their acquaintances which would be Koichi and pretty much every other stand user in town known at that point. With his paranoia this definitely seems feasable to me.

Sounds good to me.

Anyways, new JoJoLion this month right? Rihgt?

tumblr_msqvjhGokF1qa3oeho1_1280.png

Maybe this has been asked in this thread before, but please understand I don't have the patience to wade through pages of this topic although I bet it's good. Are there any quality scanlations of Stardust Crusaders starting with Volume 17? I was reading it on a site but the quality of the scans abruptly drops when volume 17 starts. I really freaking like this manga and would love to admire the art in clean scans. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom